Rudy edition

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
debernardis

Re: wrong url

#21 Post by debernardis »

ting wrote:The download link on the wiki page points to the old iso and not the new one.
You're right my friend :oops:

That's the result of babysitting my 7-mo's Maria while editing the wiki :roll:

Now the link is good :P

Revision 1 is under way to correct some stupid bugs an add other features. just forgot giftui in the jwm menu, and added width to the freemem applet as described in this forum, and also added xfe as a file manager because it seems better than the other ones, and freemind as a dendrogram planner because everybody is saying good things about it :lol: (I have still to try it at full).
You can do those corrections by yourself and avoid downloading r1.

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
And now a question for those who know: what if I strip each and every file of my .sfs? Data file should not be modified, executables could become leaner and libs - I don't know. Right? Possible adverse effects? Thanks
:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

MU

#22 Post by MU »

it usually works, but don't try it in a mounted .sfs (that was mounted automatically at boot), as it crashes Puppy.
I think some files don't like strip (get broken):
- Kernel-modules
- maybe upxed files (not shure).
upx is a realtimepacker, you can un-upx files with upx -d filename.

To see if a file is upxed, try

Code: Select all

sh-3.00# upx -t /usr/local/Muppy-SMB/resource/sharefiles/nmbd 
                     Ultimate Packer for eXecutables
   Copyright (C) 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004
UPX 1.25         Markus F.X.J. Oberhumer & Laszlo Molnar        Jun 29th 2004

testing /usr/local/Muppy-SMB/resource/sharefiles/nmbd [OK]

Tested 1 file.
upx is here:
http://dotpups.de/dotpups/System_Utilities/upx.pup

Several large dotpups contain binaries compressed with upx.

Mark

muggins

#23 Post by muggins »

regarding using strip & library files, see this:

http://www.happy-monkey.net/pocket/ch03.html#d0e705

where they recommend only using strip with:

--strip-unneeded option.

i wonder how much space you would save doing this, and if it's worth the risk with important library files?

debernardis

#24 Post by debernardis »

Rudypuppy 061127 revision 1 --> Download

This fixes some bugs, like the absence of giftui in the jwm menu - adds xfe file manager, freemind "mind mapping" software, latest sun java (blackdown version was dropped), cdw compact disc burner, inadyn dynamic ip tool for dyndns, iptstate for monitoring firewall connections, savepuppy for usb saving on demand, plus an experimental suspend script for laptops (I am not sure it will work on *your* machine).
Thanks as always to people inventing new tricks for our puppies!
Please contact me for bugs, problems and other issues that should be fixed, as well as for suggestions and the so.

MU

#25 Post by MU »

veronicathecow

Problems installing to HDD

#26 Post by veronicathecow »

PostPosted: Yesterday, at 6:42 am Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Mark this post and the followings unread
Hi, many thanks for Rudy, a brilliant puplet and I think it will be the one I will settle on having tried about 10 other Puplets and about 10 other non puppy distros so a high accolade indeed!

I'm having trouble with doing a full install. Could you please tell me what, where etc for grub config files, and all puppy files, it will be co-existing for a time with Barrys standard 2.12

Also, what about XMMS and VNU for next version? (Hopefully you will keep on updating this ISO)

Thanks also for making it an ISO, I always seem to have trouble with .Pups etc...
Tony

veronicathecow

#27 Post by veronicathecow »

Hi, HDD sorted, I wiped the original puppy and put yours on instead 8-)

debernardis

#28 Post by debernardis »

The 070104 version of rudypuppy, built upon Barry's Puppy Linux version 2.13 (you can get it from http://www.debernardis.it/rudypuppy070104.iso ) now includes some KDE apps, and in particular the K3B cd/dvd burner, and Konqueror (web and file system browser), plus some minor utilities. KDE comes from the fine work of MU and is the tiniest that could be generated by his script, even if it's around 60 megs large. Moreover, in order to have Konqueror behave the right way, Kicker (the KDE window manager) runs in the background, or sort of (its window is hidden below the JWM task bar, and can be enlarged and moved, if ever needed, by using Kcontrol, the KDE control center, which you can find inside the jwm menu), together with other KDE gee-whiz. For these reasons, this new rudypuppy is adviced only for machines with a good deal of ram space, and possibly a proper swap partition.
On my 1 gig ram plus 1 gig swap, it flies, though, and seems quite usable as the previous versions.
All this stuff is there only to get K3B, which is widely recognized as more user-friendly and versatile than the usual puppy alternatives (gcombust and the so); Konqueror is nice but jwm + rox are enough, and much lighter, too.
So, the inclusion of these portions of KDE is experimental, and could be out of next version if eventually I find a cd/dvd burner nice enough to rival with K3B.
There are also some minor refinements, like the option to reset the pinboard to a icon-rich layout (puppy linux standard) or to a minimalistic clean desktop - by now it needs also a restart of X, but I guess there are less destructive ways of restarting the pinboard, and advices on this issue are welcome! Some new photos from the places where I live, work or go for holidays are included as desktop backgrounds, hoping you'll like them.

I have had few chances and time to troubleshoot this puplet - by now I'm out for a trip, and I'll start using it for my work next week - so if you try it please kindly let me know if there is something broken or that could be enhanced.

veronicathecow

Many thanks for hard work

#29 Post by veronicathecow »

Just wanted to say thanks for doing Rudy. I have been using version 2.12 for the last few weeks and will now try this one. Havn't even bothered re-installing Windows yet (I need Dragon dictate to save my RSI suffering hands.)
Cheers
Tony

MU

#30 Post by MU »

MU

#31 Post by MU »

gave you the wrong link, corrected now :oops:
thanks Sit Heel Speak :)

Mark

Sit Heel Speak

#32 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

(deleted)

Jah

2.13 update?

#33 Post by Jah »

Hi
are you planning a update to 2.13?
Where can i find the tablaucher?
So i can install it...

I liked this Puppy its good:-)

MU

#34 Post by MU »

debernardis

#35 Post by debernardis »

Tablaunch is already there, I only deactivated its start at boot time.
If you want it just in one session, you can find it in the "Control panel" menu, last voice.
Instead, if you want it to start at each boot, go edit the .xinitrc file (do

geany /root/.xinitrc

in a terminal) and uncomment line 127:

#/usr/local/tablaunch0.6/run-tablaunch &
by erasing the # char at the beginning.
BTW you can move the icon bar on by dragging it if you "hook" it on the very top of the screen.

Next version will follow Barry Kauler's next puppy 2.14, unless I have made such ominous mistakes to need a revised interim iso :-)

In the meantime I would appreciate if somebody tests Giftui, the p2p client located in the Internet menu. In the last few days I have been unable to make it work, but it worked some time ago. Is it a problem of the gnutella or fasttrack networks, or have I broken the package?

Also k3b should be troubleshoot. I successfully burned some iso and some audio cd's but cddb seems not working, and other features should be tested and corrected if necessary. Please let me know... help is appreciated.
I have been looking at possible k3b replacements, but with no joy. Gnome Toaster seems in an early stage of development, graveman is limited, and I don't understand well gcombust.

Jah

k9copy

#36 Post by Jah »

Hi
does the k9copy pupfile work in rudy?
http://dotpups.de/dotpups/Multimedia/

debernardis

#37 Post by debernardis »

I am not an expert in that field but I loaded the k9copy dotpup you pointed and indeed it seems to work, in fact it recognized one dvd of mine and started crunching it - though I had no time , and hd space, to make it go on to the end.

Jah

rudy does not load pup_save file on boot?

#38 Post by Jah »

rudy does not load pup_save file on boot?!
sad thig to lose all aps every reboot...

what can i do?

Jah

rudy does not load pup_save file on boot?

#39 Post by Jah »

rudy does not load pup_save file on boot?!
sad thig to lose all aps every reboot...

what can i do?

debernardis

#40 Post by debernardis »

Jah: there must be some problem in your settings - it works, at least in my hands, both with "old" .3fs files and "new" .2fs files.
Which drive do you boot rudy from (cd? usb stick? hd?) and where is your pup_save file?