SwitchPup - puplet for the severely disabled

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
greengeek

#3 Post by greengeek »

Updated 26th July 2013

AUTOSTART version

I have made an "Autostart" version based on Precise 5.6.1 with the intention of making it possible for the disabled user to get started without waiting for someone else to do the configuration. In the simplest case, just place the CD in the drive, boot the PC and wait for the desktop. The "firstrun" wizard completes by itself and leaves the desktop ready for use.

It can be run from a LiveCD or installed as a frugal and run without a savefile.

This is set up to ignore any savefiles at boot time - which has the advantage of better safety during trials, as well as some disadvantages like inability to add new bookmarks etc(although it includes a small list of useful ones...) but I am hoping this 'Live boot straight to desktop' proves useful because of the simplicity of booting a PC without having to tinker with configuration screens. (Actually you don't even have to be disabled to derive benefit from that feature. I'm hoping to finetune this to be a good general purpose Live pup for other users too...)

****New version :****

August 1 2013
Switchpup_precise561_AutoStart_RAMonly_0.0.5 available here:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/gozne ... AMonly.iso
md5: 80fe83361ecbf43454c80cae911d45f6

- fixed problem with second boot failing start of X server due to pupdesk.flg incorrectly set.
- moved screenlock icon.
- flsynclient modified to turn off tap-to-click
- Added a couple of Oneswitch links to bookmarks

This version now contains the "keyhunter" function from SFR - which means that you can use the internal keyboard, external keyboard or a hotpluggable oneswitch interface plugged into any usb port and keyhunter will identify the "event number" and "keycode" straight after booting. No external help is necessary. Very quick to get functional with this release.

On my system (hooked up via network cable to a normal ADSL router) the internet connection is immediately available without any configuration requirements, so that should be the case for most other people as well I expect. Just click on the browse icon and you are online. Obviously wireless connection would require use of the internet connection wizard.

I recommend users click on desktop 1 for activities requiring the keyboard, and desktops 2 and 3 for mounting/unmounting, file manipulation and other activities (especially when using smaller screen resolutions)

The inbuilt "quicksetup" routines during the boot process seem to do a very good job of selecting resolutions (at least on my machines...)

I am keen to receive any feedback regarding which machines this works well on (it is mostly targeted at PCs around 5-10 years old...) and would also like to know what features users would like added in (preferred bookmarks, window positions etc etc). It seems to work reasonably well but there is a lot of further finetuning to do...

(Thanks SFR for the scripting help, ETP for MagooPupV6 which I use for remastering and initrd.gz editing, and Mikeslr for ongoing ideas)

Previous versions:

July 26 2013
Switchpup_precise561_AutoStart_RAMonly_0.0.4 available here:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/95uma ... AMonly.iso
md5: 615e1196013fe8cbfb6fbf677cd08c05

Switchpup_precise561_AutoStart_RAMonly_0.0.3 available here:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/ob1pk ... AMonly.iso
md5: 09d5fee7793a29c30af7a879710ae80d
(This version needs to use the internal or ps/2 keyboard defaulting to event0 and keycode119 unless an external user adjusts the oneswitch settings to accomodate any other keyboard. The newer version handles other hotpluggable keyboards automatically)
Attachments
initial_desktop.jpg
(79.69 KiB) Downloaded 8403 times
Abi screenie.jpg
(91.99 KiB) Downloaded 8355 times
Last edited by greengeek on Thu 01 Aug 2013, 18:20, edited 15 times in total.

ally

#4 Post by ally »

FYI, unable to download

:)

greengeek

#5 Post by greengeek »

ally wrote:FYI, unable to download
Hi Ally, not sure why that is. I'm seeing other downloads going out ok. Could you give it another go please? thx.

ally

#6 Post by ally »

hey GG

get the following:

You are not authorised to access the web page at http://199.91.153.250/tr8g5zaxaamg/q0ul ... _Basic.iso. You may need to sign in.
HTTP Error 403 (Forbidden): The server refused to fulfill the request.

I have tried clearing browser cache and alternative browser too, will keep trying

SFR

#7 Post by SFR »

Nicely done. :)
And no probs with d/l here.

@Ally: long shot - maybe right-click & save as..?
Or try through http://www.anonproxy.eu/

Greetings!
[color=red][size=75][O]bdurate [R]ules [D]estroy [E]nthusiastic [R]ebels => [C]reative [H]umans [A]lways [O]pen [S]ource[/size][/color]
[b][color=green]Omnia mea mecum porto.[/color][/b]

01micko

#8 Post by 01micko »

Coming down ok here too, when done I'll upload.

SFR's idea is good, there may be some weird UK filter .. :roll:
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

ally

#9 Post by ally »

hey sfr

thanks for the proxy link, worked a charm - wan't able to get to webpage previously

01micko

#10 Post by 01micko »

Hi greengeek

Here's another download link:

http://smokey01.com/01micko/greengeek/S ... _Basic.iso

I couldn't see a checksum so here it is: (checked after successful boot and seems working ok)

30dbd28412e611e603bc507c1277a10d SwitchPup_RacyNOP532_Radar0.8_Basic.iso

:wink:

greengeek

#11 Post by greengeek »

Thankyou. Much appreciated.
I have also been trying to remaster THINSlacko2012 with radar and xvkbd, but not quite there yet. I keep getting "sfs not found" error during boot. I am wondering if it might be that I am using mksquashfs with only default parameters and maybe I'm getting incorrect block sizes or compression or something. Will come back to it and try again soon after a bit more research.

01micko

#12 Post by 01micko »

Why don't you put the extra packages in an Adrive? (which is just an ordinary sfs with the special "adrv_slacko_5.5.01.sfs" name and it will autoload on boot.)

I can't quite understand why a manual remaster isn't working though.. :?

edit: OH, you mean the older thin based on 5.3.3?

greengeek

#13 Post by greengeek »

01micko wrote:edit: OH, you mean the older thin based on 5.3.3?
Yes, I love that 5.3.3t version. It runs great on all my gear, even recent netbooks.

greengeek

#14 Post by greengeek »

Added a "navbar" version into my second post above. Designed as a simple communicator, or for broader usage with browsing etc, it works nicely as either a live CD or installed.

In this version Navbar is configured for slow speed and simplicity. Other versions to follow later.

darkcity

#15 Post by darkcity »

Great project.

I have a friend who has limited upper body strength. He can't sit up to use a keyboard but can use a game controller. Could this pup be adapted to work with a game controller. Also, is there a program for zooming in to the part of the screen? the best I've seen is a hack using xrandr modes.

Currently he can uses the PS3 browser interface well. But his computer is sitting unused.

greengeek

#16 Post by greengeek »

Updated first post to add a new version of SwitchPup radar using SFRs radar1b script which has an "xvkbd" mode to automatically scan over the keyboard, and also has the gui for finetuning radar parameters.

greengeek

#17 Post by greengeek »

darkcity wrote:Could this pup be adapted to work with a game controller. Also, is there a program for zooming in to the part of the screen? the best I've seen is a hack using xrandr modes.
Hmmm, good ideas. I think some sort of "Joystick_Pup" would be a great idea.

With regard to the zoom function, all I can think of at the moment is the slide control at the bottom right of recent Opera browsers - it does a fantastic job of smoothly zooming what you are viewing in the browser. This control is active in the version of Opera that is included in these Switch_Pups, so may be worth a look. I recommend the new version I have just added (first post). (Also worth installing the Opera font pet I have included in /root - just doubleclick then use "menu, restart WM")

When I get back on deck I will follow up with the idea of a joystick pup. I like the idea.

greengeek

#18 Post by greengeek »

My apologies to the person who downloaded the radar version which had the radar screen at lower left - I had forgotten about that interfering with the main menu. I have reverted to the previous version with radar at bottom right. If the user wants a different position it is possible to use the radar config gui to move the radar screen to bottom centre, which allows better visibility of scroll bars and the Opera zoom slider.

standard7452

#19 Post by standard7452 »

Hello,

I have been away for awhile bc of family stuff, but I am in the process of creating videos about how to make the actual switch on the cheap

How can I help with switch pup at this point?

greengeek

#20 Post by greengeek »

Added a new thread containing a tutorial for the oneswitch keyboard modification here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 282#711282
Attachments
13Fit_socket_and_resistor.JPG
(114.17 KiB) Downloaded 386 times

greengeek

#21 Post by greengeek »

Added some easier variants to the keyboard mod thread:
Attachments
OneSwitch usb interface.JPG
(135.67 KiB) Downloaded 223 times
07Finished_.JPG
(51.41 KiB) Downloaded 348 times
Last edited by greengeek on Mon 29 Jul 2013, 20:19, edited 1 time in total.

mikeslr

Hotkey "Cheatsheet" Help pet

#22 Post by mikeslr »

Hi all,

Just a note that I've posted a Hotkey Help pet. It may help users to accomplish tasks with a minimum of time and effort. http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 482#712482

mikesLr