Puppeee 4.3X

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
MU

#1961 Post by MU »

a while ago I had compiled a newer xserver with intel modules, maybe that helps to get correct resolutions with newer chips.
But no guarantee, I think that was intel driver 2.8.1, the newest meanwhile is 2.10.x or so.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=46266
Mark
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=173456#173456]my recommended links[/url]

jemimah

#1962 Post by jemimah »

Lobster wrote:Been using the Puppeee RC most of the day.
Is this going to be released as an Official Puppy?
. . . contact Barry - it should be . . .
:)
I was so impressed - so nice to use and play with - and I have the original 700 ASUS Eeepc

I could not get mhwavedit to work and no Skype :cry:
Everything else seemed OK - the connection with the wireless was very easy
compared with previous efforts.

In fact I liked it so much I wondered if it would work on my main desktop - well it did at max res and all seemed fine - it needed the graphic GL for the games though . . .

Also it did not recognize my ethernet card - so those drivers have been removed? - shame (but of course understandable).

So nice - very polished, looks good and many options to change to preferences
some great prog gems like the cube pdf presentation program.

In fact some code and ideas and programs that would do well in Quickpet in Puppy 5

I would also suggest nabbing the quickget code and using/adapting that for your planned Puppeee all netbook edition

Bit of cross fertilization here . . . for future Puppys

Thanks so much

Woof Woof 8)
Barry said it could be Official so that is my plan.

More info on the skype/mhwavedit problem would be nice. Just the mic doesn't work, or is it something else? I tested on the 701SD but not the 701, so I'll check it myself this weekend.

I looked at quickpet, but I'm unsure how it's different than just adding an additional Repository to the package manager. Can anybody tell me the advantages of quickpet?

jemimah

#1963 Post by jemimah »

dougeeebear wrote:Jemimah,
I'd like to try rolling back to the alsa mixer version that was in beta 5.0.
Can you please advise how I could do that?

Regards, Doug
If you have the old zdrv just rename it to the same thing as the new zdrv. Then reboot, run 'depmod -a', then reboot again.

jemimah

#1964 Post by jemimah »

MU wrote:a while ago I had compiled a newer xserver with intel modules, maybe that helps to get correct resolutions with newer chips.
But no guarantee, I think that was intel driver 2.8.1, the newest meanwhile is 2.10.x or so.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=46266
Mark
I tried your Xorg on Puppeee a while ago - before I added openGL support. But it was extremely unstable. When I had tried earlier on 4.3.1 it was relatively ok, so I don't know what caused the problem on Puppeee.

I'd be deeply appreciative if you want to look at it and see if you can get it running.

jamesbond

#1965 Post by jamesbond »

jamesbond wrote:
jemimah wrote:Here is the syndaemon. You can just decompress it and put it in /root/Startup.
That's fast :) Thank you!
Syndaemon is extremely annoying, more annoying the problem it's supposed to fix. I have to withdraw my earlier suggestion - please don't auto-start it by default. Sorry :oops:
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

PaceNotes

#1966 Post by PaceNotes »

jemimah wrote:Try rerunning 'xorgwizard' from the command line. Then, type 'xwin' to try to start X again.

If that doesn't work, I have no other ideas besides try Puppies with a newer Xorg. I will start work on Puppeee 5 as soon as I have time - there's no way to upgrade xorg in the existing Puppeee that wouldn't be extremely painful.
Just loaded up Lucid and the resolution is 1024x600 right out of the box. The problem now is that the function keys and power settings don't work. Looking forward to Puppeee 5!

prehistoric

Intel GMA 3150

#1967 Post by prehistoric »

@Jemimah,

I took another shot at that 1001P with the Intel GMA 3150, which keeps ending up with 800x600 resolution. I think I might be able to use xrandr to create a new mode line, for use under xvesa, but I don't have a working distro for that machine from which I could copy detailed parameters.

In the distant past, I did roll my own mode lines, but both hardware and software have changed dramatically since then.

Any suggestions on what to try?

jemimah

#1968 Post by jemimah »

My understanding is that Modelines can only fix things if it's the monitor that's not being properly detected. I don't think there's anything you can do if it's the video card that's not advertising the correct resolutions.

That is the case I saw with PaceNotes' Xorg.log. It sees the LCD resolution correctly, but not the video card.

Varmint

Eee 701sd install

#1969 Post by Varmint »

I've just installed Puppeee 4.1.2-k2.5.25.16-Seamonkey on my Asus Eee 701sd using a FULL, not FRUGAL install. I'm wondering if this is normal for others, as I've always heard that the flash drives require a frugal install or it won't work. I haven't tried the latest 4.3 release yet. I want to play with this one for a while. I have another distro on this netbook (BackTrack 4.0) and they both seem to work just fine.

I used the "internal (IDE or SATA) hard drive" option in the install window, and I'd formatted my partition to ext2. GRUB was installed into this partition (sda1, or hd0,0) which is the first partition on the internal flash drive. I might try the newer release later, but this one seems to work just fine, so I may not bother. I'll have to read up on what's different with 4.3X and decide later. Thanks for this version!

73 de varmint

rjbrewer

#1970 Post by rjbrewer »

I think frugal was recommended because it does less writes to
the drive, therefor extending lifespan of drive.
Haven't heard of anyone wearing one out though.
Seems people with a cf card in ide adapter usually use
full install.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#1971 Post by Lobster »

Barry said it could be Official so that is my plan.
Good news. :)

4.3.1 worked OK on my Eeepc 7000 and I got a 2MB keydrive specifically to run it. Puppeee is much more rounded and suitable for netbooks. So Puppeee is on that keydrive . . .
The surprise for me was that Puppeee also worked on my desktop (apart from web connection). So the compatibility and interoperability can be widened again in the future. Really impressive. 8)
More info on the skype/mhwavedit problem would be nice. Just the mic doesn't work, or is it something else? I tested on the 701SD but not the 701, so I'll check it myself this weekend.
The previous time I tried mhwavedit in Puppeee, I seem to remember I used a USB headset. In other words the built in mic was not activated and working. This happened this time too (apart from me not fiddling for hours trying to activate the sound recording).
I looked at quickpet, but I'm unsure how it's different than just adding an additional Repository to the package manager. Can anybody tell me the advantages of quickpet?
Usability.
You click on an icon. It installs. You use.
The package manager includes libraries
with weird names. You have to choose a repository (most people think that is a form of enforced laxative).
They also think a 'package' is something women giggle about when discussing men. So a 'package manager' is some sort of male harem eunuch . . .
So I wonder what a 'quick pet' is . . . [sorry mind wandering . . .must focus . . .]

Never overestimate how stupid the end user prefers to be.
An OS on a mobile phone is not designed to make me think.
Just use. Just works.

As soon as you click and install, end users will be asking why they have to wait . . . Why can they just 'use without waiting'.
End user = toddler mentality

Click and use is the advantage.

I know from a coding perspective or reasonably savvy puppys perspective
the package manager is quite easy.
Quickpet is very easy.

What I would say is you are doing all the right things with Puppeee.
It is a pleasure to use. Your choice of backgrounds and themes and icons
shows an aesthetic that is sometimes lacking in our more
austere codings.
There is also a lot of enjoyment in Puppeee that is almost palpable.
It is also very professional with the support sites and polish.

Thanks Jemimah, my meandering and ranting rambling now ends

Viveee Puppeee :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

prehistoric

another pass at GMA3150 video

#1972 Post by prehistoric »

jemimah wrote:My understanding is that Modelines can only fix things if it's the monitor that's not being properly detected. I don't think there's anything you can do if it's the video card that's not advertising the correct resolutions.

That is the case I saw with PaceNotes' Xorg.log. It sees the LCD resolution correctly, but not the video card.
I'm due to spend more time with the friend with that problem machine today. This time I'll get that Xorg log.

I agree with what you're saying about the monitor and card. I've been hoping I could at least trick it into using 1024x600 under VESA. That would be a work-around, not a permanent solution.

The whole thing is frustrating, virtually every video adapter has compatibility with some earlier version in the same line. The effort required to program one from scratch is simply more than manufacturers want to deal with.

jemimah

#1973 Post by jemimah »

Lobster wrote: Never overestimate how stupid the end user prefers to be.
I'm not sure Puppeee caters to the "let me stay stupid" market. It's fun for me to work with smart people, people who like learning things, and people who are willing to put forth a little effort - but it is seriously soul-sucking to deal with people who feel entitled to stupidity - I can't relate to that.

I do think we need a community repository (besides the forum - although the forum has advantages like having a thread associated with each pet), and I think GTKDialog is too limited to make a good package manager. Every puplet shouldn't need to make its own repo and package manager though - that's the wrong solution IMHO.

prehistoric

Xorg log fro1001p with GMA 3150

#1974 Post by prehistoric »

Jemimah,

Here's the log I promised.
Attachments
Xorg.0.log.gz
Xorg log from Asus Eee PC 1001P with Intel GMA 3150 video graphics chip. Stuck at 800x600
(7.91 KiB) Downloaded 315 times

jemimah

#1975 Post by jemimah »

Yeah, here is the problem:

Code: Select all

(II) VESA(0): Supported VESA Video Modes:
(II) VESA(0): 720x400@70Hz
(II) VESA(0): 640x480@60Hz
(II) VESA(0): 640x480@72Hz
(II) VESA(0): 640x480@75Hz
(II) VESA(0): 800x600@60Hz
(II) VESA(0): 800x600@72Hz
(II) VESA(0): 800x600@75Hz
(II) VESA(0): 832x624@75Hz
(II) VESA(0): 1024x768@60Hz
(II) VESA(0): 1024x768@70Hz
(II) VESA(0): 1024x768@75Hz
With Xvesa, you can use 915resolution (which apparently doesn't support the 3150 at the moment) to add modes, but it doesn't work for the Xorg VESA driver.

jemimah

#1976 Post by jemimah »

I've posted RC2. The Changelog is here: http://puppeee.com/web/blog/puppeee-rel ... e-2-posted

dougeeebear

#1977 Post by dougeeebear »

RC2 at first glance:

If bluetooth is disabled in eee-control, none of the other icons are displayed in the tray (the tray is empty except for the clock).

I still have the retrovol slider issue.

jemimah

#1978 Post by jemimah »

dougeeebear wrote: If bluetooth is disabled in eee-control, none of the other icons are displayed in the tray (the tray is empty except for the clock).
Ok that's bizzare. To fix it go in to /root/Startup and rename bluetooth-applet to zbluetooth-applet (this make it the last applet to load).

dougeeebear

#1979 Post by dougeeebear »

Renaming bluetooth-applet did cause the other icons to appear, but now there is a blank space where the bluetooth icon would have appeared.
Whatever causes this may be the same as in RC1, except the icons all displayed with an occasional blank space.

The last version that didn't have this problem was Beta 5.0.
In fact, Beta 5.0 has been the best all-around working release to date for me.

ken geometrics

#1980 Post by ken geometrics »

jemimah wrote:
dougeeebear wrote: If bluetooth is disabled in eee-control, none of the other icons are displayed in the tray (the tray is empty except for the clock).

Ok that's bizzare. To fix it go in to /root/Startup and rename bluetooth-applet to zbluetooth-applet (this make it the last applet to load).
Perhaps we can borrow a trick used in other systems to avoid this sort fo order problem. The make the files start with a 2 digit number to directly control the sort order.

01firstscript
02secondscript
03thirdscript