slacko-5.6 Final - plus testing next

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
gcmartin

#188 Post by gcmartin »

@Shinobar and anyone doing a share access to a SAMBA/Windows server(s).
The old mount command seems to have been replaced n latest kernel systems. I had to change mount to mount.cifs. The new command, also needed the "sec=ntlm" option for increased success.. My command use now works on both early Windows and latest.

Example

Code: Select all

mount.cifs  //192.168.1.3/shared-from  /mnt/on-here  -o sec=ntlm,username=userlogin-name,password=your-secret
Of course, on most networks, the 192.168.1.3 could be changed to the actual Hostname of the PC shared-from.

Here to help

shinobar

Resolved: was failed smb mount

#189 Post by shinobar »

gcmartin wrote:Example

mount.cifs  //192.168.1.3/shared-from  /mnt/on-here  -o sec=ntlm,username=userlogin-name,password=your-secret
That's it :!:

Modified /root/network/Network/scripts/part2 at line 27'

mount.cifs //$IP/"$Share" "$APPDIR"/mnt-point -o username=$Username,password=\$Password,file_mode=0775,dir_mode=0775,gid=$(awk -F: "/^users/ {print \$3}" /etc/group),noserverino,nounix,sec=ntlm$IOCHARSET &&

('nounix' option is to suppress error messages at writing files on the share.)
Got success :D Thanks!
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

01micko

#190 Post by 01micko »

Thanks GC and shinobar. I'll update the Network rox-app, but, does anyone know if it borks with older kernels? (say 3.2 or 3.4 series). If so, will need to test what kernel is running.

Cheers!
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

01micko

#191 Post by 01micko »

Sorry guys, there will be a bit of a delay with the next beta. My motherboard decided to give up (3yr warranty, 3 yr and 2 mo since purchase!), so I have had to purchase a new one and rebuild. Oh well, that's computing!

shinobar

Re: Resolved: was failed smb mount

#192 Post by shinobar »

shinobar wrote:Modified /root/network/Network/scripts/part2 at line 27'

mount.cifs //$IP/"$Share" "$APPDIR"/mnt-point -o username=$Username,password=\$Password,file_mode=0775,dir_mode=0775,gid=$(awk -F: "/^users/ {print \$3}" /etc/group),noserverino,nounix,sec=ntlm$IOCHARSET &&
The modified one also works with no problem on Precise-550JP, kernel 3.2.29.

Jades

#193 Post by Jades »

01micko wrote:Sorry guys, there will be a bit of a delay with the next beta. My motherboard decided to give up (3yr warranty, 3 yr and 2 mo since purchase!), so I have had to purchase a new one and rebuild. Oh well, that's computing!
You mean you haven't accumulated enough redundant components to build 3 complete PCs, if only you had some spare cases?! ;-)
Zhaan - AMD K6 2 500, 512MB RAM, ATI Rage 128 VR. Full install Wary 5.5 [url=http://tinyurl.com/dy66kh8]HardInfo Report[/url]
Merlin - Core i5-4590, 8GB RAM, Radeon R9 270X. Slacko 5.7.0

Jades

#194 Post by Jades »

Initial testing of 5.5.71 (the PAE version) on my Pentium D machine has been promising so far. Upgraded Slacko 5.5 save seemingly without any problems. Also successfully created new 512MB ext4 save on NTFS-formatted hard drive, worked fine on first boot.

Still too early to say for sure what the wireless perfomance with my troublesome Netgear WN111v2 USB dongle is like but it seems to work fine on Upup Raring 3.9.9.1 - on that when the connection does drop Pwireless manages to re-establish it straight away.

HomeBank, which I have started using recently, is up to v4.5 - the website is http://homebank.free.fr/

I know you've expressed reluctance to include the newest version of Gnumeric but Upup Raring (IIRC) has version 1.12.1 and the ISO didn't seem much bigger. Latest version is 1.12.4 which has just come out.

Pidgin 2.10.7 on PPM doesn't check for dependancies but 2.10.6 does. After updating the package lists the one on pet_packages-slacko14 shows up and that installs and runs fine.
Zhaan - AMD K6 2 500, 512MB RAM, ATI Rage 128 VR. Full install Wary 5.5 [url=http://tinyurl.com/dy66kh8]HardInfo Report[/url]

01micko

Re: Resolved: was failed smb mount

#195 Post by 01micko »

shinobar wrote:
shinobar wrote:Modified /root/network/Network/scripts/part2 at line 27'

The modified one also works with no problem on Precise-550JP, kernel 3.2.29.
Good to know, thanks!

-
Jades wrote:You mean you haven't accumulated enough redundant components to build 3 complete PCs, if only you had some spare cases?! :wink:
Ha! Sure.. but it's my most powerful.. anyway, new mobo is up and running .. and I can't believe how cool it runs for AMD, (same cpu as old mobo). While I was at it I upgraded the RAM from 2 to 4 GB. Still have plenty to do, unfortunately including a win7 install, needed for my homework.
Jades wrote:Initial testing of 5.5.71 (the PAE version) on my Pentium D machine has been promising so far. Upgraded Slacko 5.5 save seemingly without any problems. Also successfully created new 512MB ext4 save on NTFS-formatted hard drive, worked fine on first boot.

Still too early to say for sure what the wireless perfomance with my troublesome Netgear WN111v2 USB dongle is like but it seems to work fine on Upup Raring 3.9.9.1 - on that when the connection does drop Pwireless manages to re-establish it straight away.

HomeBank, which I have started using recently, is up to v4.5 - the website is http://homebank.free.fr/

I know you've expressed reluctance to include the newest version of Gnumeric but Upup Raring (IIRC) has version 1.12.1 and the ISO didn't seem much bigger. Latest version is 1.12.4 which has just come out.

Pidgin 2.10.7 on PPM doesn't check for dependancies but 2.10.6 does. After updating the package lists the one on pet_packages-slacko14 shows up and that installs and runs fine.
Good it seems to run fine. Let me know how the netgear device goes.

As for gnumeric.. well, it does need gtk3, a substantial increase in iso size. I'm not going to do it. The version we have does the job, near as well as calc (oo or libre) for about 3 M in the iso. Gtk+3 will add about another 10M, not worth it in an official puppy for 1 program.

As for pidgin, yes it's a known issue that programs in the patches repo don't resolve dependencies, but if (as you found) install the original first, then update all is well. Not perfect I agree, I'll have a think about that one (could affect a couple of other programs too).

SFR

#196 Post by SFR »

01micko wrote:My motherboard decided to give up (3yr warranty, 3 yr and 2 mo since purchase!)[...]
Planned obsolescence at its finest... :roll:

Ok, a couple of things for you to consider:

1. Yeah, I know you don't particularly like the subject of "spaces in filenames", but...
It's an old issue. While mounting (via mouse left-click) an .?fs or .iso image and its path/name contains spaces or even ' (apostrophe) and/or the file extension is in upper case, we're getting "Failed mounting or unmounting." error.
It maybe doesn't really matter if it comes for .sfs, .2fs, etc., but in case of .iso it was a frequent problem for me.
Three small mods, one in /bin/mount, line 43:

mount-FULL -n "${@}"				# SFR: double quotes
and two more in /usr/sbin/filemnt, first at line 63:

MntPt='/mnt/'"`echo "$imgFile" |sed "s#^\.##g" |sed "s#/#+#g" | tr ' ' '_'`"	# SFR, added 'tr'
and the second one, right after line 90:

Ext=`echo "$imgFile" |sed 's/^.*\.//'`	# get file type from extention
  Ext="`echo $Ext | tr [:upper:] [:lower:]`" 	# SFR: extension to lowercase (If Bash >= 4 it could be just Ext=${Ext,,} )
Not sure if there are some caveats, but I'm running Slacko-5.5 with these mods from a few months now and haven't encountered any problems.
Modified scripts attached.

2. Quite old issue as well, but I haven't taken care of it on my own ('petget' is quite complex app).
When a user is installing a .pet (locally, offline) and (s)he begin to install another one, whereas the previous installation haven't completed yet (incl. "Please wait, updating help page and menu" part), strange things may happen, e.g. JWM becomes broken - lack of bottom panel, broken or lack of right-click menu, corrupted theme and stuff like that. Also observed with Openbox once.
I think the easiest way to prevent such behavior could be some kind of message that "previous installation isn't completed yet" & exit...

Anyway, like I said, these are just to consider. 8)

Greetings!
Attachments
mount_filemnt_modded.tar.gz
(5.92 KiB) Downloaded 416 times
[color=red][size=75][O]bdurate [R]ules [D]estroy [E]nthusiastic [R]ebels => [C]reative [H]umans [A]lways [O]pen [S]ource[/size][/color]
[b][color=green]Omnia mea mecum porto.[/color][/b]

01micko

#197 Post by 01micko »

SFR wrote:1. Yeah, I know you don't particularly like the subject of "spaces in filenames", but...
It's an old issue. While mounting (via mouse left-click) an .?fs or .iso image and its path/name contains spaces or even ' (apostrophe) and/or the file extension is in upper case, we're getting "Failed mounting or unmounting." error.
It maybe doesn't really matter if it comes for .sfs, .2fs, etc., but in case of .iso it was a frequent problem for me.
Three small mods, one in /bin/mount, line 43:

mount-FULL -n "${@}"				# SFR: double quotes
and two more in /usr/sbin/filemnt, first at line 63:

MntPt='/mnt/'"`echo "$imgFile" |sed "s#^\.##g" |sed "s#/#+#g" | tr ' ' '_'`"	# SFR, added 'tr'
and the second one, right after line 90:

Ext=`echo "$imgFile" |sed 's/^.*\.//'`	# get file type from extention
  Ext="`echo $Ext | tr [:upper:] [:lower:]`" 	# SFR: extension to lowercase (If Bash >= 4 it could be just Ext=${Ext,,} )
Not sure if there are some caveats, but I'm running Slacko-5.5 with these mods from a few months now and haven't encountered any problems.
Modified scripts attached.
It's not that I don't like spaces in filenames, that's unavoidable with music, dvds etc, but shell scripts; I flat refuse to acknowledge that a shell script can be named with a space! Call me old school if you like but if some sort of distinction between words is needed then there is nothing wrong with _ or - chars :wink: .
I'll add the improved mount script and suggest to BK.

On the subject, I had PBurn just quit on me without visible error trying to burn my win7 image... ha! S P A C E S :lol: .
SFR wrote:2. Quite old issue as well, but I haven't taken care of it on my own ('petget' is quite complex app).
When a user is installing a .pet (locally, offline) and (s)he begin to install another one, whereas the previous installation haven't completed yet (incl. "Please wait, updating help page and menu" part), strange things may happen, e.g. JWM becomes broken - lack of bottom panel, broken or lack of right-click menu, corrupted theme and stuff like that. Also observed with Openbox once.
I think the easiest way to prevent such behavior could be some kind of message that "previous installation isn't completed yet" & exit...

Anyway, like I said, these are just to consider. 8)

Greetings!
Good point about petget, and I did see the bad wm behaviour a long time ago, but didn't narrow down what caused it, as it didn't worry me too much because it was a disposable save file. I will suggest to BK to test if there is a pid before running from a click and if so maybe splash a small wait message.

Cheers!

SFR

#198 Post by SFR »

Thanks Mick!

As for "JWM" issue, I only recently assoiciated this with 'petget', while installing lots of .pets from a USB stick - I guess it happened because it was slower than from HDD, so there was enough time for things to break. :wink:

@Zigbert: small problem with pmount.
"Tick box for single window" doesn't work.

<button><input file stock=\"gtk-ok\"></input><label>$(gettext 'Ok')</label></button> 
and a few lines later is:

if [ "$EXIT" = "OK" ];then
but the $EXIT will be "Ok", not "OK" (or something else, depending on translation).
The addition of <action>exit:OK</action> works for me, but maybe there's a better way..?

I also wonder why "Tick for pmount to quit after mount/unmount" option is hardcoded to be always disabled? Not that I'm keen to use it, I'm just curious. :wink:

Greetings!
[color=red][size=75][O]bdurate [R]ules [D]estroy [E]nthusiastic [R]ebels => [C]reative [H]umans [A]lways [O]pen [S]ource[/size][/color]
[b][color=green]Omnia mea mecum porto.[/color][/b]

zigbert

#199 Post by zigbert »

SFR
Thank you for the pmount fix
I have included it.

Look here

Sigmund

Jades

#200 Post by Jades »

01micko wrote:
Jades wrote:You mean you haven't accumulated enough redundant components to build 3 complete PCs, if only you had some spare cases?! :wink:
Ha! Sure.. but it's my most powerful.. anyway, new mobo is up and running .. and I can't believe how cool it runs for AMD, (same cpu as old mobo). While I was at it I upgraded the RAM from 2 to 4 GB. Still have plenty to do, unfortunately including a win7 install, needed for my homework.
I actually have a potentially more powerful system than my K6 in a cardboard box in my room. It's the old mainboard from the main family PC, and is an Athlon XP 1800+ setup. Reason I'm not using it is that I know from when it was new that Win98 doesn't run on it so I wouldn't be able to run my old DOS games natively. If only I had a spare case. Oh, and a bigger room!
01micko wrote:
Jades wrote:Still too early to say for sure what the wireless perfomance with my troublesome Netgear WN111v2 USB dongle is like but it seems to work fine on Upup Raring 3.9.9.1 - on that when the connection does drop Pwireless manages to re-establish it straight away
Good it seems to run fine. Let me know how the netgear device goes.
During the long period of downloading Precise 5.7 Retro I saw Frisbee announce that the link was down and it then brought the link back up again without intervention from me. Performance seems as good as Upup Raring 3.9.9.1. I'll see how it does with a more intensive internet session with lots of data transferred.

The connection dropouts I experienced often seemed to have more to do with the amount of data transferred rather than anything else obvious. On the Puppies I had the problems on the system wouldn't notice the problem and I'd have to manually reset the connection, which at least on Frisbee was simply a matter of hitting the Restart Networks button rather than having to reload the profile then type all the IP addresses in again like I had to with Network Wizard.
01micko wrote:As for gnumeric.. well, it does need gtk3, a substantial increase in iso size. I'm not going to do it. The version we have does the job, near as well as calc (oo or libre) for about 3 M in the iso. Gtk+3 will add about another 10M, not worth it in an official puppy for 1 program.
Fair enough I suppose, can't blame me for trying though? ;-) Any chance of having a pet of the latest one and its deps on PPM? I see the current version that comes with Slacko is the newest in the 1.10.x family. There's a 1.11.x family too but that may have been when they started needing gtk3, I can't remember.
01micko wrote:As for pidgin, yes it's a known issue that programs in the patches repo don't resolve dependencies, but if (as you found) install the original first, then update all is well. Not perfect I agree, I'll have a think about that one (could affect a couple of other programs too).
Well the one in pet_packages-slacko14 installed fine but for some reason didn't show up until I updated the package lists. I'll double-check that though in case my search after the pfix-ram was actually on just the main slackware repo.

Jades

#201 Post by Jades »

Jades wrote:I see the current version that comes with Slacko is the newest in the 1.10.x family. There's a 1.11.x family too but that may have been when they started needing gtk3, I can't remember.
Just checked Gnumeric site, 1.11.x was a development branch, 1.12.x is the newest stable branch.

shinobar

pnethood-0.7.1

#202 Post by shinobar »

pnethood-0.7.1.pet
http://shino.pos.to/party/bridge.cgi?puppy/opt/
NOTE: i18n, does not contain nbtscan.

#3aug2013 shinobar: sec=ntlm mount option for recent kernel (gcmartin), fix logging

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 749#716749

rodin.s

Slacko preinstalled to PC

#203 Post by rodin.s »

Just wanted to let you know that Slacko with Russian translation is preinstalled to PC.

01micko

Re: Slacko preinstalled to PC

#204 Post by 01micko »

rodin.s wrote:Just wanted to let you know that Slacko with Russian translation is preinstalled to PC.
:lol: I guess that's pretty cool 8) .. although...
Nettop 3vi website (via google translate) wrote:Pre-installed operating system Linux , which you can replace with the usual Windows, according to our instructions
Thanks!

bigpup

#205 Post by bigpup »

From Precise 5.7.1 bug topic:
Peebee,
With my Broadcom 4312 wifi....
Precise 5.7.1 k3.9.11 exhibits the wifi blocked on boot "feature" - shared with Slacko 5.5.71 k3.10.1 - necessitates adding "rfkill unblock wlan" to /etc/rc.d/rc.local
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

01micko

#206 Post by 01micko »

01micko wrote:
peebee wrote:Hi Mick

Reminder - in 5.5.71 I have to

rfkill unblock wlan
At the moment I'll do nothing and see if it's fixed in 3.10.4 (just compiled). I notice bigpup has an interesting related problem in precise-5.7. I do have a work-around ready to slot in.
Just compiled 3.10.5 .. announced by Greg K-H as going LTS.

01micko

#207 Post by 01micko »

We have YASSM and the rox-app for windows shares.. anyone want me to add in Pnethood? I might anyway.

EDIT: Later.. ok it's in.. only 18k.

Almost built, I have been testing all afternoon, built broadcom, and ndiswrapper for 3.10.5. I'll have a delta up soon and tomorrow I'll put up full isos.

Then on to some packages - video drivers, update libreoffice, maybe merge peebee's lx sfs with compiz.. some things will go though due to lack of time, such as the openshot sfs as ffmpeg will break that. If you want to package some thing big then I can give you a public ftp to my site.