The Official Release of Lucid 5.25 (Lucid Five Twenty-Five)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
playdayz

#1821 Post by playdayz »

playdayz,

Wondering why you and other developers, of Lucid 5.2.5, are not making any comments in the bug topic for Lucid Puppy 5.2.5?
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=66777
bigpup, To be honest, I think is exhaustion from solving problems. I noticed that you and the others seemed to have it covered so I took the easy way out. Is it your opinion that there would be enough correctable bugs to justify an Instant Update 002?

smokey01

#1822 Post by smokey01 »

Lupu 525 is such a great distribution it would be a pity for something like http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 574#537574 to tarnish it's good reputation.

My answer would be YES.

rjbrewer

#1823 Post by rjbrewer »

smokey01 wrote:Lupu 525 is such a great distribution it would be a pity for something like http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 574#537574 to tarnish it's good reputation.

My answer would be YES.
That link was not intended to discourage anyone from choosing
Lupu.
It's a great Puppy and when running frugal installs it's a 50/50
split between Lupu and Wary for me.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

bigpup

#1824 Post by bigpup »

playdayz wrote:
playdayz,

Wondering why you and other developers, of Lucid 5.2.5, are not making any comments in the bug topic for Lucid Puppy 5.2.5?
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=66777
bigpup, To be honest, I think is exhaustion from solving problems. I noticed that you and the others seemed to have it covered so I took the easy way out. Is it your opinion that there would be enough correctable bugs to justify an Instant Update 002?
I understand your exhaustion. You deserve the break.
I do not know about an update 002, but there are a few issues that you would have more knowledge and could provide better help on what to do.
You have that inside knowledge that we do not have.
As more people are using Lucid 5.2.5 and trying to do all kinds of stuff with it, issues are being found.
Forum beginners section and bug section are getting posts also.
Some of it is just people new to Puppy and not knowing how to do stuff, but there are a few good head scratch er hair pulling problems.
Like this one:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 790#535790

tronkel

#1825 Post by tronkel »

Just a word of appreciation for Puppy 5.2.5 Probably the reason Puppy is now up at No7 in the Distrowatch rankings.

It's strength lies in giving end-users just what they want.
I have it installed on my Asus eeepc 901. It's the best solution of them all for me on this hardware.

Bug-squashing? It's a thankless and never-ending task. Debian do their best to get rid of bugs in their stable releases, but even they don't succeed 100% of the time.

I've just spent 4 days battling with the latest FreeBSD 8.2 release - whatever they claim about it's supposed rock-solid stability, it's a nightmare to install as a normal desktop solution. Puppy 5.2.5. is a breath of fresh air in comparison.

However I did manage to purloin a little treat from BSD and have converted it to a pet package. It's the little Easy Editor a.k.a ee. Only a 26K download. Works in Puppy 5.2.5 as well.

See the details and download from here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69218
Life is too short to spend it in front of a computer

Volhout

525 is alive !

#1826 Post by Volhout »

After working on 520 since March, I finally switched over to 525.
I use Opera, and installed LibreOffice, and found out how to manually set that to default word processor (that would be something you may want to improve. When people install packages, ask them if these should be the default).

I think I have everything setup like before but have a few questions:

1/ When I install SFS and PET packages via puppy packet manager, the manager often hangs (popup to kill the PPM application since i is not responding anymore). There must be a fix for that ???? The packages do install, but the PPM terminates.

2/ I am looking for a version of J-pilot for 525. The most recent one I found was from puppy 4 series. Can I blindly try it ?

3/ When I install Python (from quickpet) to test RCRSN51's SimpleHTTPServer to share files, the package manager is missing libraries. How can I fix this ?? See attached (also shows PPM starting to die )

4/ When I want to "automount" partitions / drives at power up, how can I do this ?? (this is of coarse a question that has nothing to do with 525, but is generic linux). I expected a checkbox in Pmount, but didn't find it. So I may have to divert to commandline....

520 has always been very loyal to me (never crashes, simply does it's work, and I am sure 525 will be even better.

Regards,

Volhout

P.S. as to the question of a instant update 002: my vote is YES. For new comers (like me) it is hard if your (very responsive !! compliments !!) forum is troubled by people who cannot read all the forum posts, and come with questions that have already been addressed. A single point where all updates/fixes reside is great. I would even suggest to update the iso (i.e. 5.2.5.1 and 5.2.5.2) to keep the 525 in there and avoid 5.2.6.

P.P.S. as to bug squashes, it is NOT a thankless task. Please understand that many people (like me) use your puppy linux daily. They use it for internet, browsing, word processing, some businesses run on puppy linux. schools use it. Maybe you do not see the reward clearly. But please understand that many people use it. And puppy linux is very usable !!! And that is achieved by the work of all of you, and your dedication to the forum. (I looked at the MINT forum last week, and if you notice how many posts there are with 0 replies, people with serious questions that don't get answerred !!) I promise you MINT will suffer from this. People will stop believing it (same with ubuntu with unity) and puppy may step up another 2 places on the list of distro watch. Just sustain your good support, and keep the product stable and listen to the users. I thank you all.!!!
Attachments
python_missing.jpg
(146.61 KiB) Downloaded 201 times

playdayz

#1827 Post by playdayz »

3/ When I install Python (from quickpet) to test RCRSN51's SimpleHTTPServer to share files, the package manager is missing libraries. How can I fix this ?? See attached (also shows PPM starting to die )
Volhout, Yes, Python shows errors when installed with Puppy Package Manager. These are an artifact and not real errors--they appear because of the way PPM checks for errors--sometimes I can trick it into not showing the errors--it happens because the libraries it calls missing are just not where it expects them to be. I will go and put *Ignore errors* in the description of Python. You can also avoid the faux errors by downloading Python directly from http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pe ... ges-lucid/

To update the PPM -> Quickpet -> More Pets -> Update Lupu PPM

Thanks for your words about debugging. We are believers, and spent 3 months developing and mainly debugging Lucid 5.2.5. I am trying to organize thoughts about debugging in case you are interested. http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 358#537358
Last edited by playdayz on Sat 25 Jun 2011, 15:30, edited 2 times in total.

playdayz

#1828 Post by playdayz »

In a few days, the modest association 'ASRI education' will be pleased to offer two versions FR based on excellent Lucid Puppy 525.

- Edu ASRI Full (650MB) aimed at 3-12 years.
- ASRI Edu Prog (350MB) for teachers of primary schools and early college.

Light version (250MB) stay base on Puppy/Toutou 431.

A big and sincere thank you to the developers of Puppy Lucid.
ASRI éducation, You will be remastering? There is info at LupuNews at the bottom of the page
http://diddywahdiddy.net/LupuNews/index4.html
And in How To in this forum
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 97&t=67393

Iguleder

#1829 Post by Iguleder »

I say, 5.2.6. 5.2.5 has those small annoying bugs (defaulttexteditor, defaultimageviewr, etc') and an "instant update" won't be immediately available to users.

Also, it's going to take ages till 5.3 arrives, since it's been months since 5.2.5 and it's still in alpha.

So ... let's make 5.2.6 and base it on EZ-Woof!
[url=http://dimakrasner.com/]My homepage[/url]
[url=https://github.com/dimkr]My GitHub profile[/url]

bigpup

#1830 Post by bigpup »

1/ When I install SFS and PET packages via puppy packet manager, the manager often hangs (popup to kill the PPM application since i is not responding anymore). There must be a fix for that ???? The packages do install, but the PPM terminates.
I am not seeing this with Puppy Package manager.
When you select a very large package to install, PPM will not show any progress indicator. It will look like it hung up, when in fact it is working normal. When it finishes the download and install, it should show info windows stating install complete. Than go back to the PPM main window.

playdayz

#1831 Post by playdayz »

I say, 5.2.6. 5.2.5 has those small annoying bugs (defaulttexteditor, defaultimageviewr, etc') and an "instant update" won't be immediately available to users.

Also, it's going to take ages till 5.3 arrives, since it's been months since 5.2.5 and it's still in alpha.
Hey iguleder, good to hear from you. The thing is, imho, there are very few bugs, even small annoying ones, that need to be fixed--because of the 3 months of testing--there are a few of course, but what is the problem with defaulttexteditor, and defaultimageviewr.

Since the first release of Lucid 5.0 in April 2010, Puppy has had a release every 3 months, more often when we count Wary, as we should, and we have moved from #10 to #7 on Distrowatch because of it. IMHO The release of 5.2.5 was April 2--which is coming up on 3 months--but Wary has been released more recently. Let's wait for the new Woof and see what happens with possible 5.3. Thanks.

bigpup

#1832 Post by bigpup »

4/ When I want to "automount" partitions / drives at power up, how can I do this ?? (this is of coarse a question that has nothing to do with 525, but is generic linux). I expected a checkbox in Pmount, but didn't find it. So I may have to divert to commandline....
You can use this program to auto-mount on boot-up.
Startmount
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=50845

bigpup

#1833 Post by bigpup »

playdayz,

About making an update release and calling it 5.2.6 or 5.2.5.1.
The fact that instant update 001 fixes two programs that did not work, that are in Lucid 5.2.5. That would make it a good idea to do an update release of Lucid Puppy.
Also because one of those programs is Bootflash. Someone wanting to do a USB flash drive install, from the live CD, would need to work.
However, I do like the instant update idea for minor bug fixes.

This is the kind of problems Bootflash is causing before you fix it with the Lucid Puppy 5.2.5 instant update 001.
Thanks all for replying. Unfortunately before I saw the later replies I used the BootFlashInstaller in the menu and followed the instructions. Everything seemed good, no warning messages, said it had completed, and now I have a dead usb stick. It doesn't boot, it isn't detected and in windows it's detected but won't format.

Now to google to see if my usb stick is repairable...
Last edited by bigpup on Sat 25 Jun 2011, 17:23, edited 1 time in total.

Volhout

#1834 Post by Volhout »

Thanks for the help !!

- Got startmount configured. Python seems to work fine, so the error messages can sure be ignored. Rge PPM issue may indeed have been that I did not have enough patience. Used it several times since, and have not seen the problem if I waited long enough.

Noticed 1 thing however. Have seen 2 occasions where I lost wireless connection and had to reconnect and even enter the wep code again (did not reconnect). Using SNS. If you want me to debug when it (-if it-) happens again, tell me where to find the log file that could help you.

Any idea about J-pilot ? Can I use the puppy 4 J-pilot (Palm organizer support on puppy) or does it need re-compiling.

Regards,

Volhout

maxpro4u

#1835 Post by maxpro4u »

chrismt wrote: Windows XP is damn cool on my old hardware than puppy. Dunno why, may be its the old drivers available in Windows....I have a 512MB RAM, Pentium 3....XP runs like a breeze with Avast and Comodo Firewall running real time....
Just for the fun of it, I put xp on my 512 P3. After a 1 hour install I finally was able to boot, then another hour updating the thing. It felt a lot warmer and much slower than puppy. Then I went to the compaq website to update the drivers. There were 2 video drivers to choose from and I guess I picked the wrong one because I got a BSOD upon reboot and it wouldn't boot into safe-mode either! Well,after a 15 min.format/full install of 5.2.5, it is running smooth as silk. Thanks to all who slave over their keyboards to make a great OS!
Dell D610 1.7M w/1024mb
Testing Slacko and a few others
I'm Max Wachtel and I approve this message.
Registered Linux User #393236

bigpup

#1836 Post by bigpup »

Volhout wrote:Noticed 1 thing however. Have seen 2 occasions where I lost wireless connection and had to reconnect and even enter the wep code again (did not reconnect). Using SNS. If you want me to debug when it (-if it-) happens again, tell me where to find the log file that could help you.
Some people find this program helps to prevent these problems.
Stay connected
menu->internet->stay connected

You could be loosing wireless signal and that would cause you having to reconnect and reenter settings.
Any idea about J-pilot ? Can I use the puppy 4 J-pilot (Palm organizer support on puppy) or does it need re-compiling.
A lot of Puppy4 programs will work.
Try it and see.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=29857
Last edited by bigpup on Sat 25 Jun 2011, 18:35, edited 1 time in total.

chrismt

#1837 Post by chrismt »

maxpro4u wrote:
chrismt wrote: Windows XP is damn cool on my old hardware than puppy. Dunno why, may be its the old drivers available in Windows....I have a 512MB RAM, Pentium 3....XP runs like a breeze with Avast and Comodo Firewall running real time....
Just for the fun of it, I put xp on my 512 P3. After a 1 hour install I finally was able to boot, then another hour updating the thing. It felt a lot warmer and much slower than puppy. Then I went to the compaq website to update the drivers. There were 2 video drivers to choose from and I guess I picked the wrong one because I got a BSOD upon reboot and it wouldn't boot into safe-mode either! Well,after a 15 min.format/full install of 5.2.5, it is running smooth as silk. Thanks to all who slave over their keyboards to make a great OS!
I am not sure how to respond....I never had any crash whatsoever using XP on my DELL P3....I dunno, maybe i am lucky....and right now I have Avast, Comodo, WinPatrol, and KeyScrambler....

About smoothness, yup, there is a slight delay sometimes...and i see a lot of wireless networks available when i scan compared with what i can get on Lupu...Thats all...Maybe I am lucky...

But hey, I am not saying, all the hard work of Playdayz and all are in vain

I am extremely grateful to them, always...

I don't support piracy of any kind...but you should try an already updated Win XP SP3....like this one available here

http://www.nomaher.com/forum/index.php?board=1.0 [Edit by admin: don't forget to send Microsoft a hundred dollars and be sure to mention where you found their software. :lol: ]

smokey01

#1838 Post by smokey01 »

bigpup wrote:PPM will not show any progress indicator.
A progress indicator would be a good thing.

chrismt

#1839 Post by chrismt »

chrismt wrote:
maxpro4u wrote:
I am not sure how to respond....I never had any crash whatsoever using XP on my DELL P3....I dunno, maybe i am lucky....and right now I have Avast, Comodo, WinPatrol, and KeyScrambler....

About smoothness, yup, there is a slight delay sometimes...and i see a lot of wireless networks available when i scan compared with what i can get on Lupu...Thats all...Maybe I am lucky...

I don't support piracy of any kind...but you should try an already updated Win XP SP3....like this one available here

http://www.nomaher.com/forum/index.php?board=1.0 [Edit by admin: don't forget to send Microsoft a hundred dollars and be sure to mention where you found their software. :lol: ]
Oh great! Who is the admin? I think he is a puppy with a funny bone :P

But still, i guess you can use a pirated copy for testing....and remove it after that....

Isn't that so?

James C

#1840 Post by James C »

chrismt wrote:
chrismt wrote:
maxpro4u wrote: Just for the fun of it, I put xp on my 512 P3. After a 1 hour install I finally was able to boot, then another hour updating the thing. It felt a lot warmer and much slower than puppy. Then I went to the compaq website to update the drivers. There were 2 video drivers to choose from and I guess I picked the wrong one because I got a BSOD upon reboot and it wouldn't boot into safe-mode either! Well,after a 15 min.format/full install of 5.2.5, it is running smooth as silk. Thanks to all who slave over their keyboards to make a great OS!

Oh great! Who is the admin? I think he is a puppy with a funny bone :P

But still, i guess you can use a pirated copy for testing....and remove it after that....

Isn't that so?
Might want to read the EULA....... interesting stuff. :lol: