Slacko64 - 64 bit Puppy - 6 Feb 2014

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Ted Dog

#181 Post by Ted Dog »

Oh Slacko does not have the right conf. for multisession BluRay.. Do not know why it fails but it must be in the makeiso stage which I can't find.. Its on my todo list after getting Quirky6s to Multisession..

bigpup

#182 Post by bigpup »

01micko wrote:Sorry bigpup but the 'make clean' didn't work and the '/sbin/loadndisdriver' binary was 32 bit. Fixed. Remove all residue from previous attempts and try this one.
Thanks!

Did all you asked deleting residue of previous install.

Installed new pet of ndiswrapper.

Still not working.

The results of ndiswrapper version check did change.
It is now:

Code: Select all

# ndiswrapper -v
ERROR: Module ndiswrapper not found.
module version is too old!
utils version: '1.9', utils version needed by module: '0'
module details:
ERROR: Module ndiswrapper not found.

You may need to upgrade driver and/or utils to latest versions available at
http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net
Are you sure you are getting all of it in the pet?
The pet size is 93KB.
The download from sourceforge.net is 201KB.

We are really having fun, now :evil: :lol:
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

01micko

#183 Post by 01micko »

# tar xvf ndiswrapper-1.59-k3.13.1-x86_64.pet       
./ndiswrapper-1.59-k3.13.1-x86_64/
./ndiswrapper-1.59-k3.13.1-x86_64/lib/
./ndiswrapper-1.59-k3.13.1-x86_64/lib/modules/
./ndiswrapper-1.59-k3.13.1-x86_64/lib/modules/3.13.1/
./ndiswrapper-1.59-k3.13.1-x86_64/lib/modules/3.13.1/misc/
./ndiswrapper-1.59-k3.13.1-x86_64/lib/modules/3.13.1/misc/ndiswrapper.ko
./ndiswrapper-1.59-k3.13.1-x86_64/usr/
./ndiswrapper-1.59-k3.13.1-x86_64/usr/man/
./ndiswrapper-1.59-k3.13.1-x86_64/usr/man/man8/
./ndiswrapper-1.59-k3.13.1-x86_64/usr/man/man8/loadndisdriver.8
./ndiswrapper-1.59-k3.13.1-x86_64/usr/man/man8/ndiswrapper.8
./ndiswrapper-1.59-k3.13.1-x86_64/usr/sbin/
xz: ./ndiswrapper-1.59-k3.13.1-x86_64/usr/sbin/ndiswrapper
(stdin): Compressed data is corrupt
./ndiswrapper-1.59-k3.13.1-x86_64/usr/sbin/ndiswrapper-buginfo
./ndiswrapper-1.59-k3.13.1-x86_64/sbin/
./ndiswrapper-1.59-k3.13.1-x86_64/sbin/loadndisdriver
./ndiswrapper-1.59-k3.13.1-x86_64/pet.specs
tar: Child returned status 1
tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
# stat -c %s ndiswrapper-1.59-k3.13.1-x86_64.pet
# md5sum ndiswrapper-1.59-k3.13.1-x86_64.pet
7e4b98879f7626c84d34fb17c07a5028  ndiswrapper-1.59-k3.13.1-x86_64.pet
# ndiswrapper -v
utils version: '1.9', utils version needed by module: '1.9'
module details:
filename:       /lib/modules/3.13.1/misc/ndiswrapper.ko
version:        1.59
vermagic:       3.13.1 SMP mod_unload modversions
Its all there.. just check the md5sum. Maybe try a fresh save file. The kernel module is supposed to be in /lib/modules/3.13.1/misc/ , thats the same as I have always built it, there is no problems with lib64 paths either. :?

PS: after install run depmod
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

bigpup

#184 Post by bigpup »

PS: after install run depmod
You know, you must be smarter than the equipment you are operating :shock:

run depmod got it now giving a good output of ndiswrapper -v.

ndiswrapper now seems to be working.

Now my problem is finding a good windows driver.

I will look on http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net for what they suggest to use.

Thank you for the help!!

Is ndiswrapper going to be preinstalled in Slacko64 or will you always have to install it, if needed?

Edit:
Now I am starting to wonder if ndiswrapper will work in a Linux 64 bit operating system.

The Windows 32 bit driver will not work at all.

The Windows 64 bit driver will load OK but no device detected.

Reading on internet statements about ndiswrapper not working for Linux 64 bit.

Broadcom devices. What are they good for? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Sage

#185 Post by Sage »

More about Flashplayer and BBC iplayer in 64-bit Puppies.
On Mint Forum found this:
Despite trying every solution found both on this forum and several others, nothing worked. I was forced to stick with version 11.01.152, which meant every time I wanted to watch a youtube video, I had to manually activate the plugin. Worse was the fact that 90% of the time, I could not copy URLs from photobucket, as it uses flash to copy links to the clipboard.

In desperation, I tried every single version of the 11.2.202.x flashplugin on Adobe's archives, and none of them worked.

Then I came across this post, which said, in part:
squiesuie wrote:
Hello again all.
I decided to try again with this problem.

In the link suggested by zerozero: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1080414 I read this:
For users who cannot update to Flash Player 11.2.202.228, Adobe has developed a patched version of Flash Player 10.3, Flash Player 10.3.183.18, which can be downloaded here.

From the adobe hompage archive section i found Flash Player 10.3.183.50 which I downloaded, extracted libflashplayer to a folder just so I could find it, then I did as meteorrock suggested, I used nautilus to move libflashplayer.so to user/lib/opera/plugins, (this was the only way I could move libflashplayer to this folder). And then I tried youtube... Guess what, flash now worked, for the first time ever! I have tried several flash sites, I also used the same method to move libflashplayer to the mozilla folder and now flash works in firefox also.

So I went to the Adobe flashplayer archive page, and downloaded the specially patched Flash Player 10.3.183.18 zip, extracted the libflashplayer.so file and copied it as root to /opt/mint-flashplugin-11.
So it seems we are not alone! Have advised micko, separately.

bigpup

#186 Post by bigpup »

Slacko64 5.8.8
Live CD first boot.
New Netgear WNA3100 USB wireless adapter
Broadcom BCM43231

Seems I am out of luck getting this wireless network adapter working in Slacko64.

No Linux driver support.
Ndiswrapper and Windows driver issues with 64 bit Linux.

Something that needs to be verified by others.

Will Ndiswrapper work in Slacko 64?

Could someone else try it and see if it works for them with their hardware.

You will need to use this pet to install ndiswrapper.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 529#759529
after install run depmod

Windows driver will have to be Windows 64 bit driver
for the hardware.
YaPI(any iso installer)

L18L

Slacko64 - 64 bit Puppy - 6 Feb 2014

#187 Post by L18L »

# hunspell -i utf-8 spot/LIESMICH.txt
Hunspell has been compiled without Ncurses user interface.
#
With Ncurses would enable internationalization.

# hunspell -l spot/LIESMICH.txt         
spot
Puppy
beschrÃ
nkter
fido

# head -n 2 spot/LIESMICH.txt 
"spot" ist ein Benutzer von Puppy mit beschränkter Privilegien.
(man kann auch fido, fiffi, rex und/oder hasso hinzufügen! )
#

chiron²

#188 Post by chiron² »

Minor issue with flSynclient on my ThinkPad R500. Does not work to enable horizontal scrolling (missing checkbox to enable/disable vertical or horizontal scrolling). Replaced it with flSynclient from FD600, which has the checkboxes, now it works.

chiron²

#189 Post by chiron² »

I had some more leisure and motivation today, and so figured out, where the problem with suspend to ram lay. (reported earlier, ThinkPad R500 wakes up, screen flickers and returns to sleep after opening the lid. Needs Powerbutton to wake up)

Out of some obscure reason, the file suspend.sh is called a second time when opening the lid up again, thus waking the laptop up, and immediately putting it in suspend again. Since I didn't get it figured, where suspend.sh is called again a second time, I introduced a 'lockfile', that prevents the suspend to be carried out a second time after opening the lid. When waking up, a second script is called and forked to the background, that waits ten seconds and then removes the 'lockfile' again, so on the next occasion suspend.sh is called, it is carried out normally.

The modified suspend.sh:

#!/bin/sh
# suspend.sh 28sep09 by shinobar
# with dirty workaround to prevent being called a second time 2014-01-21
# do not suspend at shutdown proccess
#111129 added suspend to acpi_poweroff.sh
if [ ! -f /tmp/suspend ];then
  for P in acpi_poweroff.sh
  do
    ps ax | grep -v 'grep' | grep -q "sh[ ].*$P" && exit
  done
fi
rm -f /tmp/suspend
for P in wmpoweroff poweroff
do
  pidof "$P" >/dev/null && exit
done

# do not suspend if usb media mounted
USBS=$(probedisk2|grep '|usb' | cut -d'|' -f1 )
for USB in $USBS
do
	mount | grep -q "^$USB" && exit
done

# process before suspend
# sync for non-usb drives
sync
rmmod ehci_hcd

#suspend
#introducing 'lockfile' /tmp/susp_test chiron 2014-02-21
if [ ! -f /tmp/susp_test ];then
touch /tmp/susp_test
echo -n mem > /sys/power/state
fi

# process at recovery from suspend
modprobe ehci_hcd
#calling helper script and forking to background
#the helper script simply waits 10 seconds and then removes the lockfile
/etc/acpi/actions/susp_help.sh &
the file susp_help.sh, that goes into the same directory as suspend.sh.

#!/bin/sh
# dirty workaround to prevent suspend.sh to be called on wakeup again, chiron 2014-02-21
# wait 10 sec. (after waking up)
sleep 10
# remove 'lockfile'
rm -f /tmp/susp_test
Hopes this helps someone with similar problems.

HoerMirAuf

#190 Post by HoerMirAuf »

@chiron²

... the laptop goes to suspend twice, because the event in /etc/acpi/events/lid-conf is:

event=button/lid*
The event will be startet by every lid event... close and open.

change the event to:

event=button/lid LID close
and youre device should only suspend if the lid is closing

chiron²

#191 Post by chiron² »

OK, I thought there could also be a SIMPLE solution ;)

Hmmm. In FD600 it also only says

event=button/lid*
without close, and the suspend.sh is the same, but it works like it should.

Iguleder

#192 Post by Iguleder »

01micko, have you tried to boot the kernel with EFI? I get a black screen when I try to run it using an ELILO binary from another distro.
[url=http://dimakrasner.com/]My homepage[/url]
[url=https://github.com/dimkr]My GitHub profile[/url]

Jim1911

#193 Post by Jim1911 »

Hi Mick,

Your latest is working great on my hardware except for printing. My Hp printers are not recognized. Installing hplip-3.12.9-x86_64_slack14.0.txz did not help. However after installing Fatdog's hplip_print_fd600-3.12.10a.pet and hplip_scan_fd600-3.12.10a.pet, xsane works although printing does not.

Thanks again for this super distribution.

Regards,
Jim

HoerMirAuf

#194 Post by HoerMirAuf »

In my Acer v3 571g LapTop, is no battery device shown in the hardwareinfo, also i cant get any battery status. battery kernel module is loaded.....

DrDeaf

#195 Post by DrDeaf »

HoerMirAuf wrote:In my Acer v3 571g LapTop, is no battery device shown in the hardwareinfo, also i cant get any battery status. battery kernel module is loaded.....
My Thinkpad X230t also does not show a battery status.

Jades

Can't get Full Install working on my Pentium D.

#196 Post by Jades »

I managed to find a spare CDRW. After checking the md5 of the Slacko64 5.8.8 iso again I blanked the disc and burnt the image in ImgBurn on the Win 7 side (previous disc had been done in Puppy with Pburn). The disc passed verification so I did a pfix=ram boot from it without incident.

I reformatted the partition I wanted to install the test Full to. 10GB ext4, partition was sda5 (see attached GParted screen for layout). Drive is a 1TB SATA HDD.

I then ran Universal Installer via the Install desktop icon. The icon in the section 'Filesystem in partition' is missing, see screen. I chose to install to sda5, the partition created above. Chose Full install, and wipe when prompted (that seemed strange as there wasn't anything on the partition other than the Lost+Found directory).

Once the install had completed, I rebooted into a 32-bit install of Slacko since Grub4DOS Config is missing in the 64 bit version for some reason and once that util had created the new menu.lst I then tried to boot into the new Full of Slacko 64.

It seemed to start to boot but then bombed out with a "Kernel panic - not syncing: no working init found" error. See screen photo for the error. It seems to do this whether I manually update menu,lst with the text provided by Universal Installer or whether I use Grub4DOS Config.

I don't use the Legacy Grub thing as the first two partitions on the drive are NTFS. Is there any reason why Grub4DOS Config isn't provided?

The thing I find strange is that the LiveCD is working fine. Haven't tried a Frugal yet.
Attachments
Mer_sda.png
Partition layout on main HDD in Merlin. sda5 is the partition for the full. Screen from after Full install attempt.
(44.97 KiB) Downloaded 939 times
PUI_Icon.png
Missing icon on Universal Installer.
(47.79 KiB) Downloaded 908 times
Zhaan - AMD K6 2 500, 512MB RAM, ATI Rage 128 VR. Full install Wary 5.5 [url=http://tinyurl.com/dy66kh8]HardInfo Report[/url]
Merlin - Core i5-4590, 8GB RAM, Radeon R9 270X. Slacko 5.7.0

Ray MK

#197 Post by Ray MK »

Hi jades
My note to 01micko and his reply here
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... &start=135
(2nd & 3rd posts)
may provide a small insight into what’s happening.
HTH a little - regards - Ray
[b]Asus[/b] 701SD. 2gig ram. 8gb SSD. [b]IBM A21m[/b] laptop. 192mb ram. PIII Coppermine proc. [b]X60[/b] T2400 1.8Ghz proc. 2gig ram. 80gb hdd. [b]T41[/b] Pentium M 1400Mhz. 512mb ram.

Ted Dog

#198 Post by Ted Dog »

@Jades

switch swap in regular partion scheme with the boot in extended partion scheme. This may have nothing to do with Slacko46 but limits on what can be booted from. Unsure how or where your boot files are but that setup is not common.
Must have the boot loader files access in regular partion and Grub4Dos can do your setup for you but direct boot full install uses full GRUB and must have a bootible partion.. ie where swap is now. swap can be anywhere it does not care.

Ted Dog

#199 Post by Ted Dog »

oh Jades you cant mix 32 bit loaders and boot 64bit. I reread your methods for getting around missing 64bit Grub4Dos.. Your setup will never work. And the error message is DUE to the attempted switch from 32 bit land into 64 bit land. Nothing to due with anything else. I do not recall a 64bit version of Grub4Dos.
They barely tested the reverse booting 64bit loaders to run 32bit.. At least that is possible and some have shown to work. Your setup will never be.
Maybe have Grub4Dos call regular GRUB64 to complete the boot but I have serious doubts that could work. well or easily..

Jades

#200 Post by Jades »

Thanks to Ted Dog and Ray MK for the info. I have a cold so aren't in a particularly technical frame of mind but here's a little more info about the partition setup.

sda1 is the 'System Reserved' partition for the main Windows 7 Pro install on that drive. It's usually hidden on Win 7. This is where Grub4Dos is installed and is where menu.lst resides. Formatted NTFS.

sda2 is the main partition for the Windows 7 Pro install. I should point out that this is the 64-Bit version and is pefectly happy booting via Grub4Dos, hence my confusion. Also NTFS.

The two above had been set up by installing Win7 Po to a blank drive. The space for the following partitions was created by shrinking sda2 to free up space once I was happy Win7 was running.

sda3 is a Linux swap partition. It's here because it's nearer the start of the disc, not sure if that matters.

sda4 is an extended partition containing the partitions for the Linux stuff.

sda5 is the partition where I'm trying to get the Slacko64 install to boot from. ext4.

sda6 is for storing data which I want to access from the various Linux installs running on the machine without having to remember on which pupsave stuff is stored. ext4.

sda7 is intended for testing full installs, and currently has a PAE test build of Slacko (5.6.5.5 IIRC) installed to it. Partition is ext4 and this install boots perfectly every time.

For comparison purposes, my setup on the K6-2 500 machine can be seen on my site - I'm not posting it here to avoid confusion. That setup has worked fine for years but of course everything running on it is 32-bit.

The save files for the LiveCD installs are on sdb1, which is a 160GB SATA drive containing a single NTFS-formatted partition which is the Windows XP install. Booting for LiveCDs is of course from the DVD drive, so wouldn't be affected by boot loader oddities on the HDD.

HTH! Won't be able to test anything today, but may have a go tomorrow. Many thanks for the feedback, it's been very interesting.
Zhaan - AMD K6 2 500, 512MB RAM, ATI Rage 128 VR. Full install Wary 5.5 [url=http://tinyurl.com/dy66kh8]HardInfo Report[/url]
Merlin - Core i5-4590, 8GB RAM, Radeon R9 270X. Slacko 5.7.0