Slacko B5

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
JonT

#181 Post by JonT »

01mick0 wrote:Attention laptop users:

This is the new powerapplet_tray that Barry re-wrote to work with newer kernels, that's why I dropped it in favour of vattery.. let me know if it works for you.
Works fine here.

pacer106

#182 Post by pacer106 »

Could not get online with any of the 3 options. I did save frisbee log pnetworkdiag & its attached. if there is more info needed I will post what I can.

Side note this seems to be the same problem i occasionally have with Next Puppy. Thought it might be my network until tonight when slacko B 5 wouldnt hookup. All other beta slacko versions & alphas didnt have this issue.

sszindian

B5++

#183 Post by sszindian »

01micko:

I deleted both these .pet's, they made no differance except... I Would Get A BLACK SCREEN DESKTOP and would have to restart X before my oblongated desktop would appear :( With them gone, at least I get the desktop first-shot!

(1) xf86-video-siliconmotion-1.7.5-i486.pet
(2) xf86-video-vesa-2.3.0-i486.pet

No mic, the early Slacko's gave me the same problems, ONLY Spup's were beautiful and gave me the 1440x900

Here's the .config you requested:

>>>---Indian------>
Attachments
xorg.conf.sszindian.gz
(1.72 KiB) Downloaded 285 times
Cloud Computing For Every Puppy (a .pet)
[url]http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69192[/url]

01micko

#184 Post by 01micko »

hi pacer106

looks like wpa_supplicant failed to start, possibly because there were some initialization errors. Did you try to reboot?

Once you try one method to connect and it fails the others then become problematic. There is one more, pns-tool, designed mainly for console, but works in X, however it is not persistent.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Stripe

#185 Post by Stripe »

hi all

playdayz, the three chrome based browsers seem to work ok in 4.9.X.7 but they all write to ~/.cache and it is not deleted at the end of the session

I have had psip32 running as well with just the occasional glitch

hope this helps

don

01micko

#186 Post by 01micko »

Indian.. try this xorg.conf, if it works I can set some rules for your specific chip.. If not we are still at square 1 :(
Attachments
xorg.conf.sszindian.gz
(1.81 KiB) Downloaded 263 times

pacer106

#187 Post by pacer106 »

Hi micko

I was running live from cd had not made a save file.

I am running from live cd now & everything hooked up perfectly this time :) I used frisbee I really like it myself.

I did seem to find an oddity when i was getting my screen resolution sovled via xorgwizard. When I did the initial drop to x & run xorgwizard then selecting what I wanted then xwin back to the desktop my mouse cursor decided to hide on me. Dropped to x & entered xwin again without running xorgwizard got my cursor back. Did this twice & both times happened the same. Might have been reported in a previous post I have not kept up with slacko all that much the last few beta releases.

Will be doing a save this time lol.

Kudos so far its a wonderful puppy in my initial impression :D

Update; It seems I am a victim of the infamous brookdale? intel chip. I did not know lol. I will be reviewing the threads to see what I need to do to get it workin.

Still a great puppy :) Keep up the great work!

sszindian

B5++

#188 Post by sszindian »

01micko:

The new xorg.conf installed... I guess it works however, the resolution is still the same 1224x1224, not 1440x900.

I think at this point mic, it's best we let it ride until you get the final version completed, you certainly have your hands full I'm sure besides messing with my problem and I have a ton of work I've been putting aside that just can't wait any longer, winter's fast coming on us here (some snow already this week) and I just won't be able to spend the time on the computer I'd like to.... later on this winter I'll have lots of time besides, your thread has plenty of eager testers without my 2-cents to add :)

>>>---Indian------>
Cloud Computing For Every Puppy (a .pet)
[url]http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69192[/url]

playdayz

#189 Post by playdayz »

playdayz, the three chrome based browsers seem to work ok in 4.9.X.7 but they all write to ~/.cache and it is not deleted at the end of the session
stripe, Is there a way to tell them to delete it? I will look in the Preferences.

majorfoo

#190 Post by majorfoo »

playdayz wrote:This pet for Audacious 2.5.4 seems to work in Slacko

ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pet ... -2.5.4.pet

It is my music player of choice. The advantage over Pmusic is that it can handle huge playlists, over 6,000 tracks in my experience. I am not suggesting it be included in the iso.
playdayz
I am running Audacious 3.02 in Slacko B5 and have not had any problems with it.

majorfoo

01micko

#191 Post by 01micko »

indian, ah well, too bad :( .. not beaten, just slowed.. eventually a solution will turn up.

-

Ok.. better news for Charlie.. I have a special pet for you to try, it does a similar, (but more drastic) thing to the brookdale hack, it puts files in /etc/xorg/conf.d/ for keys and synaptics and makes a dummy xorg.conf. It replaces xorgwizard, and adds the SILICON script. I can't test it obviously but it looks like it might work :)

just run xorgwizard after installation, and pray!

----------------------

Stripe.. sorry I missed that one.. I will likely stick with 2.6.39.4 and offer 2.6.37.6 as the retro because it's not PAE. 2.6.39 solves a lot of kernel bugs, I think that's why Linus decided to bump Linux to 3.x.x. So again for RC there will be 2 versions. I know there are a lot of knockers of PAE so I don't want to alienate those users. (I don't particularly like it, but there is demand)

attachment removed
Last edited by 01micko on Wed 05 Oct 2011, 06:39, edited 1 time in total.

gcmartin

Tested PAE on 3 systems, thus far.

#192 Post by gcmartin »

PAE systems are IDing all RAM available for file system use. And, this, like Barry's RACY is fast. No real show stopping issues.

Your distro has been tested on 4 of my systems. It boots and run on everything from a 384MB to the 4GB systems. ID's sound and peripherals. Videos play and Internet is extremely responsive.

Your work is excellent. Hope this helps.

charlie6

#193 Post by charlie6 »

Hi Mick,
[quote="01micko"]...Save me digging and post output of lspci -nn|grep -iE "vga".
here you are (... me already in the mine :D ):

Code: Select all

# lspci -nn|grep -iE "vga"
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Silicon Motion, Inc. SM720 Lynx3DM [126f:0720] (rev b1) 
Charlie

James C

#194 Post by James C »

01micko wrote: I will likely stick with 2.6.39.4 and offer 2.6.37.6 as the retro because it's not PAE. 2.6.39 solves a lot of kernel bugs, I think that's why Linus decided to bump Linux to 3.x.x. So again for RC there will be 2 versions. I know there are a lot of knockers of PAE so I don't want to alienate those users. (I don't particularly like it, but there is demand)
With all respect, since anyone with less than 4 GB of ram gets zero benefit from a PAE kernel,and considering my prior experience with PAE I think I'll continue to agree with Mr.Torvalds...
PAE really really sucks.

James C

#195 Post by James C »

I can say though that the regular 2.6.39.4 kernel is pretty darn good...... :lol:
Attachments
2.6.39.4 non-pae.png
(54.76 KiB) Downloaded 591 times

01micko

#196 Post by 01micko »

What I *should* do is recompile 2.6.39.4 non-PAE and offer that as well.. and if I find the time I will. 2.6.39.4 is that much superior on all my kit so far.

In retrospect I should have done that first but I was too lazy to find the config option in the kernel config. [ :roll: ]

charlie6

#197 Post by charlie6 »

Hi Mick,
01micko wrote:Ok.. better news for Charlie.. I have a special pet for you
great thanks therefore, Mick !
...it puts files in /etc/xorg/conf.d/ for keys and synaptics and makes a dummy xorg.conf.
OK they are in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d instead; me have no /etc/xorg folder...?
It replaces xorgwizard, and adds the SILICON script. I can't test it obviously but it looks like it might work :)
just run xorgwizard after installation, and pray!
Me praying but perhaps me having not enough faith...
...running xorgwizard and doing xwin at the end brings to the command line for all cases.
Doing

# xwin
dirname: extra operand '/usr/lib/x/drivers-backup/vesa_drv.so'
Try dirname --help for more information.
Starting X, specs in /etx/X11/xorg.conf, startup apps /root/.initrc ....
#
While xorgwizard runs the SiliconMotion warning is displayed, and after TEST_X_NOW, and waiting till FINISHED (there the setting fields are left empty except the driver; vesa), return to the command line prompt . No more hang up however.

/etc/X11/xorg.conf is empty - just contains "DUMMY" -

Now backing up to my working xorg.conf, and doing

# SILICON 
cp: missing destination file operand after `/etc/X11/xorg.conf.oldSILICON'
Try `cp --help' for more information.
#
Me keeps praying... :roll:
Charlie
Last edited by charlie6 on Wed 05 Oct 2011, 06:39, edited 1 time in total.

01micko

#198 Post by 01micko »

Ok Charlie, good, it partially worked.. try this one (I'll remove the old one)

Cheers

EDIT
If this one fails Charlie, hang in there there is one more option :wink:
Attachments
xorgfor_Charlie-0.7.pet
(24.52 KiB) Downloaded 280 times

charlie6

#199 Post by charlie6 »

Hi Mick,
01micko wrote:Ok Charlie, good, it partially worked.. try this one (I'll remove the old one)
Seems like me kept enough faith ... it works!
I uninstalled the previous charliexorg-0.6.pet and reboot; then installed the 0.7.
Run xorgwizard/choose siliconmotion driver/Silicon warning -'yes'/select frequency range C/resolution 1024x768x16 then 'TEST'/ :shock: got the warning 'if you see this, X is working....blablibla' - did Ctrl-Alt-BS/ then got the desktop displayed.

Just one thing: touchpad no longer working.
(note that before installing that last pet, the touchpad was much sensitive - Till then, I could not set synaptic however as there came an error message: I did not report this already as I believe another forum member has done it)

thanks again Mick - now leaving for work
Chalie

chrismt

#200 Post by chrismt »

How do I unzip an .rar file in Slacko? :oops:

Thanks!