Puppy 4.2 "Deep Thought" - Bugs & Fixes

Please post any bugs you have found
janeee

#181 Post by janeee »

Thank you for good job with Puppy 4.2
But I have problems with my Swedish keyboard when I try to use the @ character.
Keys AltGr and 2 results to desktop replacement.
I use a Dell 5150 and Dell USB keyboard.

AltGr + 2 works well in Puppy 4.0 and Puppy 4.1 but not in Puppy 4.2
I have noticed that (latin) has been added to Sweden option for selecting a keyboard in the boot of the live CD for Puppy 4.2
Last edited by janeee on Sat 18 Apr 2009, 20:46, edited 2 times in total.

capoverde

#182 Post by capoverde »

-1) Not really a bug, but puzzling (and maybe already reported -- but didn't find it by forum search):
at boot time, on one of my boxes the <F2> key must be pressed first in order to allow typing in some boot option, while on others typing is accepted right into the initial splash screen. That box needs "acpi=force" at boot to shutdown on its own, can this be related?

-2*) Not a bug at all, on the contrary! Saw it only yesterday:
on another box, for the first time XVesa works flawlessly at 1280x1024 with my LCD screen. With all other Puppy versions only XOrg did it. :D

*EDITED: Not really... Forgot having mounted a different graphic card for testing, please ignore point 2 . :oops:

floborg

#183 Post by floborg »

I tried booting up today on a machine with a 24" widescreen LCD (NEC MultiSync LCD2470WVX). The native resolution is 1920x1200. This option was listed in the Xorg wizard, but after selecting it, I ended up with a stretced, lower resolution of 1600xXXXX (XXXX because I forgot what it was). The Xvesa wizard didn't even list the native res.

None of the options in either server even had the same 1.6 aspect ratio.
Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick
Core 2 Quad 2.4 GHz | 2 GB RAM

nubc

#184 Post by nubc »

I am having difficulty with Puppy 4.2 and Puppy 4.2 retro. I installed regular Puppy 4.2 to hard drive. Then I tried a couple modems to see if any worked. None worked. Plus: the presence of a Lucent modem caused the ethernet (any ethernet, I tried 5 cards) to not to be seen by Puppy. Curiously, the presence of that modem caused ethernet to not be recognized by Puppy 2.17.1, Puppy 4.2, and Mint XFCE 6.0, when run as liveCD. I have decided that I definitely need the retro version.

Puppy 4.2 retro will not see the onboard sound: C3DX CMI 8738 HRTF 3D Audio. (Might have to re-flash the BIOS, to get sound settings)

Recalling another thread, is there an installable package for adding modem detection/support to Puppy 4.2?

EDIT: The sound fixed itself, can't explain it.
Last edited by nubc on Wed 15 Apr 2009, 20:31, edited 1 time in total.

nubc

#185 Post by nubc »

The Free Memory monitor in the system tray is only half showing (top half).

DaveS

#186 Post by DaveS »

nubc wrote:The Free Memory monitor in the system tray is only half showing (top half).
There is a .pet patch earlier in this thread
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

rhadon

#187 Post by rhadon »

@ nubc
here you can find the pet from trio:http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 44&start=5

~Rolf
Ich verwende "frugal", und das ist gut so. :wink:
Raspberry Pi without Puppy? No, thanks.

DC

#188 Post by DC »

Hi,
re: Puppy 4.2 official patches and updates network-wizard-apr-1st.tar.gz

this gz'ed file is full of dir and files.
So which is the best way of installing these. I don't really want to copy dirs and files manually.

A few days ago I started to use this command for something else

cp -a * /
(cpSPACE-aSPACE*SPACE/)

but not 100% sure if its right in this case

And lastly could all official updates / patches be in the pet format or have instructions for install.

DC

DC

pnethood

#189 Post by DC »

pnethood error
Mount: Media (L) failed etc

I have installed all the offical patches and pnethood-0.65-utf8.pet.
Still the same, cannot access windows shares.

On the same pc
4.0 full install works ok
4.12 full install works ok
4.20v2 full install fails same error
4.2 full install fails as above
4.2 livecd works ok (whats the difference?)

2nd problem from a pc with lots of shares the pnethood window goes off the screen (1280x1024) with no access to bottom of the window, no up / down scroll bar.

DC

murmelbahn

Swedish keyboard

#190 Post by murmelbahn »

@janeee

Fortunately there's an easy fix:
On the desktop click on 'Setup' then 'Mouse and Keyboard' or the like (sorry am not on Puppy Linux at the moment), then tell Puppy you're using a keyboard from Dell. Then it'll work.

Hope it helps,

JR

janeee

#191 Post by janeee »

@ murmelbahn

Thanks for the reply, I tried first to set the Dell keyboard setup, but there was no difference, then I tried different combinations and this setup works for me, menu>Setup>Puppy Setup>Change the mouse and keyboard>Advanced Xorg keyboard configuration>OK>Layouts>Change>se Sweden>OK>Yes>Exit.

Now @ works with AltGr+2, Thanks murmelbahn.

And I also wish the scroll wheel does not change the desktop, is there any solution to this problem ?.

cklammer

BUG: Resizing NTFS partitions with GPartED - "xdd" missing

#192 Post by cklammer »

Hi, all,

I have found a quite annoying bug in 4.2 when resizing NTFS partitions with GpartEd. After resizing the NTFS partition it is apparently necessary to patch the boot sector(s) of the NTFS partition (if the partition in question is bootable/active?). GPartEd is using a piped commandline in three stages for this patch process. The middle stage of the piped commandline contains a call to a utility called "xdd", which is missing in 4.2.

The result is that the bootable NTFS partition is properly resized (at least in the cases which I have seen with my own eyes) but it is not bootable anymore.

I have fixed the problem with a work-around using a tool called "testdisk" which is part of the current System Rescue CD (release 1.1.7 at the time of posting). "Testdisk" has an option to create new boot sectors for a NTFS partition.

So, "xdd" apparently needs to be included in future releases of Puppy.

Best of Luck,
cklammer

Tui

Machine goes into reboot !

#193 Post by Tui »

I have done a full h/d install after the removal of MS-Windows
and have the trouble of the machine close down with shut down.
command and moments later it starts up again.

What command script do I need to fix this problem ?

Tui

WhoDo

Puppy 4.2.1 Update release due...

#194 Post by WhoDo »

I will be attempting to consolidate the existing patches and fixes plus a few minor application updates into a new bug fix release 4.2.1 by next weekend. I will, of course, troll through this thread looking for reports that do not appear to have been resolved.

Would any of our developers watching this thread please advise me here or via PM if they have fixes "in the works" for issues reported here or in separate threads.

Thank you.
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

trio

Re: Puppy 4.2.1 Update release due...

#195 Post by trio »

WhoDo wrote:I will be attempting to consolidate the existing patches and fixes plus a few minor application updates into a new bug fix release 4.2.1 by next weekend. I will, of course, troll through this thread looking for reports that do not appear to have been resolved.

Would any of our developers watching this thread please advise me here or via PM if they have fixes "in the works" for issues reported here or in separate threads.

Thank you.
JWM config - tray management -- doesn't work for me...saying "new config corrupt"

Cheers

WhoDo

#196 Post by WhoDo »

trio wrote:JWM config - tray management -- doesn't work for me...saying "new config corrupt"
Are you using the JWM supplied with Puppy 4.2 or have you updated to the later JWM developed by Patriot?
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]

pa_mcclamrock

#197 Post by pa_mcclamrock »

WhoDo wrote:Would any of our developers watching this thread please advise me here or via PM if they have fixes "in the works" for issues reported here or in separate threads.
How about I advise you here and via PM (which I already did yesterday)? I've got a bug-fixed remax-4.2.1 ready to package and upload, except I need packages.txt for 4.2.1 to see if any changes will be needed in slimpacks-421.txt. Please? :D
It's stupid to use inferior software for ideological reasons.
--Linus Torvalds

trio

#198 Post by trio »

WhoDo wrote:
trio wrote:JWM config - tray management -- doesn't work for me...saying "new config corrupt"
Are you using the JWM supplied with Puppy 4.2 or have you updated to the later JWM developed by Patriot?
Aaah, yes, I confirmed that's the problem, using pfix=ram and the jwm_tray I supplied, doesn't cause any problem...

Cheers 8)

MinHundHettePerro

#199 Post by MinHundHettePerro »

Last edited by MinHundHettePerro on Sat 16 May 2009, 12:05, edited 1 time in total.
[color=green]Celeron 2.8 GHz, 1 GB, i82845, many ptns, modes 12, 13
Dual Xeon 3.2 GHz, 1 GB, nvidia quadro nvs 285[/color]
Slackos & 214X, ... and Q6xx
[color=darkred]Nämen, vaf....[/color] [color=green]ln -s /dev/null MHHP[/color]

WhoDo

#200 Post by WhoDo »

pa_mcclamrock wrote:How about I advise you here and via PM (which I already did yesterday)? I've got a bug-fixed remax-4.2.1 ready to package and upload, except I need packages.txt for 4.2.1 to see if any changes will be needed in slimpacks-421.txt. Please? :D
Message received. More detailed response by PM. :wink: