The Official Release of Lucid 5.25 (Lucid Five Twenty-Five)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
pacer106

thanks

#1681 Post by pacer106 »

thanks bigpup & beem i thought about the on screen display but wasnt sure & didnt wanna mess up the display for everything else. another thing i noticed this mornin is my monitor resolution is 1280x960 it can go even higher while puppy seems to stop at 1024x768. are there pets or anything that can increase its limit? ive not looked myself as its not that important right now.

thanks again for all the info & help :) i really like puppy theres almost too many choices & styles im not sure where to go sometimes lol.

bigpup

Re: thanks

#1682 Post by bigpup »

pacer106 wrote:thanks bigpup & beem i thought about the on screen display but wasnt sure & didnt wanna mess up the display for everything else. another thing i noticed this mornin is my monitor resolution is 1280x960 it can go even higher while puppy seems to stop at 1024x768. are there pets or anything that can increase its limit? ive not looked myself as its not that important right now.

thanks again for all the info & help :) i really like puppy theres almost too many choices & styles im not sure where to go sometimes lol.
The monitor auto adjust button is there to let you fine tune the monitor for the signal it is receiving. No two operating systems or video drivers match output 100%. Use as much as needed. I am surprised mine still works as much as I use it.
The long answer,
There are presets in the monitor for each resolution setting it can handle. When one of those resolutions is received it uses the preset data to display that resolution.
The problem is the data coming from the computer may or may not match exactly those presets. Thus you get a screen off center.
Auto adjust button looks at data coming from computer and adjusts for difference of preset and input data.
i noticed this mornin is my monitor resolution is 1280x960 it can go even higher while puppy seems to stop at 1024x768.
The graphics driver you are using is controlling what resolution options you have.
Installing a driver specific for you brand of video card should give you more options.

pacer106

thanks much bigpup

#1683 Post by pacer106 »

you are awesome bigpup i did not know that about on screen display for monitor i figured it was strictly for the monitor & would change in all operating systems :) learned somethin again :) ill see what i can find for drivers if any & give them a try.

thanks again bigpup :)

smokey01

#1684 Post by smokey01 »

pacer106, click on quickpet, select drivers then test your graphics card.

It should find you something that will give you higher resolution.

playdayz

#1685 Post by playdayz »

Multiple Soundcard Wizard

This would have been in Lucid 5.2.5, if I had only but known....

It chooses among multiple sound cards to set the default. So if you have more than one soundcard, this will be useful. Thanks to Kirk and 01micko.

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... cid525.pet

nancy reagan

Similar prob with gnome player ?

#1686 Post by nancy reagan »

Whne I enter msg does not appear but sentence yes ??

Posted question in "beginners" strangely enough others can read it.

Link to my question (3rd post)

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=68079
Last edited by nancy reagan on Sun 22 May 2011, 15:44, edited 5 times in total.

nancy reagan

Mediastreams

#1687 Post by nancy reagan »

When I try to play streams in Firefox from dutch tv, it does not work anymore.

Installed update gecko and gnome and yet. nothing.

While it plays out of the box in tuxxx mmedia Wary, snowpuppy5 and pupbang001 http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=68049.

Even when pupbang gnome is not updated ?

Here's a link to the stream.

http://tvblik.nl/kijken-in-de-ziel/stra ... e-advocaat

Then Cilck "Of bekijk de flashversie"

(under the orange block advising silverlight (which is not obligatory))

Or, click BEKIJK UITZENDING

(the pink purple block)

playdayz

#1688 Post by playdayz »

When I try to play streams in Firefox from dutch tv, it does not work anymore.
Does that mean that it did work with Lucid 5.2.5 at some point but no longer?

It does not work for me with a pristine copy of Lucid 5.2.5 and Firefox 4 or with an updated copy.

I am kind of disappointed in the Dutch using Silverlight. I was a long time listener to Radio Netherlands.

stu90

#1689 Post by stu90 »

If any help - the Dutch link nancy reagan posted plays for me in opera 11.11 but not Firefox 4.

edit: that is with the updated gnome-mplayer and geko-mediaplayer

jcwinnie

First Time

#1690 Post by jcwinnie »

Looks like a great deal of work has gone into this version of Linux. I was at first quite hopeful. Alas, there were a couple of essential problems for me, so that I will abandon use and stick with other Linux versions that do work for me.

I have Xubuntu on a USB flash drive (persistent data) and wanted to try another option. Following directions, I downloaded Puppy Linux 5.25 iso, burned it to a CD, ran Puppy off the CD, then used Puppy Universal Installer to create a live USB drive.

Upon early use of the USB Flash Drive, I discovered 2 discouraging problems: 1) no sound and 2) Chromium preference goes missing.

No sound
Yes, I encountered picture but no sound. Ran wizard which detected card. Rebooted. No sound. Tried alsaconf again to no avail.
P.S. (The speaker icon in the tray shows volume set at something like 69250%. Flash to the James Bond movie with the murder in the United Nations session.)

Chromium
Chromium is the browser I want to use. (Principle browser on all other systems is Google Chrome.) The choice keeps disappearing. Yes, Dillo works. No, I don't want to use Dillo.

Details
This is on a homebuilt AMD / Asrock E-350. 4G memory, Puppy is on an Adata 8G stick. The stick has a red rubber cover.

nancy reagan

Streaming dutch tv radio

#1691 Post by nancy reagan »

@playdayz

Q: What is pristine ?

Streaming dutch radio and tv worked in previous version, dunno which.

Did not work in 525 FF, before update either.

Works even in Teenpup 2009 with Kaffeine, with which you can easily save streams.

No, we are not -yet ?- forced to use silverlight, but tempted.

If you hit this link
http://tvblik.nl/andere-tijden/sterke-yerke

you can choose "Speel af in Flash" which sentence is in small fonts under the Silverlight banner, or

click "bekijk uitzending" (purple pink button).

Don't understand why an Australian would listen watch Dutch radio without Dutch ancestors, but if zo, go to

uitzendinggemist.nl

and click the choice page on the right side (there you get a "mer a boire" of older broadcasts) if you click the left page they bring you to the future with only flash and silverlight, where flash does not work for me (in Opera).

Hope long way to go before they discard the "old" database.

omroep.nl

for more recent and live broadcasts.

@stu90

Thanks, indeed plays in Opera 11 (have no 11.11).

However does not show controls when embedded, when in player and hitting "full screen" get a "blank" screen.

Besides this Opera does not fit properly on my screen.

@playdayz @stu90

In older versions this always was my way: nothing happened rightclicked and choose "play", then msg "Mplayerplugin stopped", rightclick and then I could "copy url" to VLC and even save.

Surprised that it worked in Opera because my experience is that they were never good for it.

As I would like to have "my daily browser" for both streaming and webmail I submit my next question, maybe not the right place, but as I don't post much and clutter on, take the opportunity for my next question.

Well if you click this (webmail) address

https://email.ziggo.nl

you will get an error msg.

Q: Any idea what I could should change in Opera for this matter ?

nancy reagan

Funny ?

#1692 Post by nancy reagan »

Hi,

I set save interval to -0 so that not any try with a new pet is saved.

However, just discovered that after, having used opera and umplayer just for once, I thought, it is installed for ever.

Happened before, despite the fact that I installed pupsave configure, so that my save filed remains "clean".

Wondered that I might have clicked the save button on desktop by error ?

Looking at the "installed pets" I do not see Opera nor Umplayer etc, and therefore cannot even remove them ?

What might have gone wrong, or rather, what I do not seem to understand ?

playdayz

#1693 Post by playdayz »

I was very surprised to see Firefox 5.0 b2. It was so recently that 4.0 and 4.0.1 were released. One can only assume some problem, but FF 4 was working fine for me. I read only one mention of "the FF 4 debacle" but I thought that was hyperbole.

Anyway, Firefox 5.0 b2 -> http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... -Lucid.pet

(It doesn't seem to play the Dutch TV though, but maybe someone else can try.)

And, wait a minute FF4 just scored 4560 on the Peacekeeper browser benchmark, versus 3400 for FF4. That's about 34% better!
Last edited by playdayz on Sun 22 May 2011, 23:29, edited 1 time in total.

playdayz

#1694 Post by playdayz »

I downloaded Puppy Linux 5.25 iso, burned it to a CD, ran Puppy off the CD, then used Puppy Universal Installer to create a live USB drive.

Upon early use of the USB Flash Drive, I discovered 2 discouraging problems: 1) no sound and 2) Chromium preference goes missing.

No sound
Yes, I encountered picture but no sound. Ran wizard which detected card. Rebooted. No sound. Tried alsaconf again to no avail.
P.S. (The speaker icon in the tray shows volume set at something like 69250%. Flash to the James Bond movie with the murder in the United Nations session.)

Chromium
Chromium is the browser I want to use. (Principle browser on all other systems is Google Chrome.) The choice keeps disappearing. Yes, Dillo works. No, I don't want to use Dillo.
Did sound work on the Live-CD boot?

Was it the Chromium from Quickpet or the Puppy Package Manager?

We have some USB install experts--but did you use Puppy Universal Installer or Bootflash. Either should work of course, but I prefer PUI--because it will install to a usb stick formatted in Linux ext2, 3, or 4.

There is some help with sound in LupuNews Quickpet -> News tab -> Help. Alsawizard should be last choice.

Iron is also available in PPM.

jcwinnie

Re: First Time

#1695 Post by jcwinnie »

Impressed by the response. Confirms the work being done. I write this from Puppy on CD and from within Iron (Once I learned what it was when I clicked on the Browse button and saw that it was a Chrome choice other than Chromium.)

So from the CD, and not from the ext4 formatted, USB flash drive with red rubber cover...

No Sound

Yes. No sound this a way either. If I hover the pointer over the speaker icon in the tray, it says 65295% (Same Puppy, Different Drive)

BTW: In another subforum / post I saw where there is testing of Puppy 5.3, especially testing no sound and AMD Dual Core processors. That's me. The M50.

Chromium

Tried again. Some way or other deleted previous installations and reinstalled. Installation by Quickpet. Made sure I pressed the Save icon on the desktop. Returned to no Chromium.

Moving On

May have been premature. Blame it on the shadows and the faint Puppy mural on the wall in the back garden. Or, that the Internet says there are few persistent USB Live versions of Linux. Or, that Puppy is fast from the gate.

USB Installation

Thank-you for the complementary estimation of my ability to notice and recall. I do not know whether I used Boot Flash Install or Puppy Universal. I think it was the former and not the latter.

jcwinnie

Re: First Time

#1696 Post by jcwinnie »

Nope, I was wrong. It was the latter and not the former.

That is to say, I used PUI (Puppy Universal Installer) to install Puppy on an ext4 formatted USB Flash Disk. Yes, the one with the red rubber cover.

wuwei

#1697 Post by wuwei »

nancy reagan wrote:

Well, when you look at this picture from that email web site, you will notice that it
werkt niet goed met Internet Explorer 9 en Google Chrome
. No mention of Opera, either positive or negative.
So you might want to consider an email client for fetching your mail?
Attachments
ziggo.jpg
(38.24 KiB) Downloaded 964 times

wuwei

#1698 Post by wuwei »

@jcwinnie

Have you checked the Multiple Soundcard Wizard for your problem?
See Playdayz's post on page 113 of this thread. 5th post from the top.

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

Re: Streaming dutch tv radio

#1699 Post by Béèm »

nancy reagan wrote:@playdayz

Q: What is pristine ?
Wat is maagdelijk? Google translate is your friend.
So something which is untouched yet. :wink:
nancy reagan wrote:As I would like to have "my daily browser" for both streaming and webmail I submit my next question, maybe not the right place, but as I don't post much and clutter on, take the opportunity for my next question.

If you have error messages, always report them in the post.

EDIT

Just saw that wuwei has addressed the issue.
So change from opera to a recommended browser or convince the web administrator to accept other browsers.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

DaveS

#1700 Post by DaveS »

You know.. the fact that the full screen toggle (F11) does not work with Firefox 4, JWM, MAKES ME CRAZY! :)
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!