Saluki

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Billtoo

Saluki

#1661 Post by Billtoo »

Full install to acer netbook.
Fri 9 Mar 2012 Operating System: Saluki-014 Linux 3.2.8-ski
5.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc M880G [Mobility Radeon HD 4200]
oem: ATI ATOMBIOS product: RS880M 01.00

X Server: Xorg Driver: radeon
X.Org version: 1.11.0
dimensions: 1024x600 pixels (270x158 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

AMD Athlon(tm) II Neo K125 Processor
Core 0: 800 MHz
I couldn't get the ati proprietary driver to compile but the radeon
driver is working okay.

smplayer and smtube are in the repo but are not showing up in the list
of pets in puppy package manager, but a search for sm finds both.
Attachments
Screenshot.jpg
(115.06 KiB) Downloaded 778 times

mavrothal

#1662 Post by mavrothal »

jemimah wrote: I've uploaded a new midori 4.4 built against webkitgtk 1.6.3. This one seems really solid at first blush.

You'll probably have to remove midori with the remove-builtins program if you want to see the new version in the ppm.
installed Midori 4.4 over 4.3 and now is stable in a number of sites that was crashing before.
However looks like I can not add new bookmarks. Adding them only shows in the side panel but not in the menu, and after restarting midori they are gone from there too.
Is it just me?

Edit Changed the ~/.config/midori/* permissions from 644 to 664 and now it behaves. eg sticks on restart but only shows in the menus after restart :?
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

DaveS

#1663 Post by DaveS »

Having a really strange time with 14. Wireless network has become a real toss of the coin. Sometimes it finds the network interface wlan0, sometimes not. A reboot is the only way I can make it connect. 13 did not behave this way. What changed?
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Eathray

#1664 Post by Eathray »

jemimah wrote:
Eathray wrote:Jemimah,

Something curious happened on install (Saluki 0.1.1). The flash installer launched when I connected to my network, but installed the flash plugin for Mac instead of Linux... That was odd.

No biggie. I downloaded the tar for Linux and replaced the pertinent files, but thought you would want to know. I've never seen the installer pick the wrong plug-in before. Cosmic quirk?

Eathray
That is odd. I'd understand if you used Midori to download it, since I have it masquerading as Safari. But I have no idea why the flash downloader would do that.
Jeminah,

Sorry to go so far back on a thread, but I figured this out. I had glanced at the browser out of curiosity (because I've never used Midori before), and probably still had it open when the flash installer launched. With the browser window open, apparently the flash installer can see it, and I guess it saw your user-agent setting as Safari(?), so chose the Mac plug-in.

Maybe someone can confirm this behavior? Fresh install, open Midori, wait for the flash installer to launch and see what it chooses.

I don't know if this is a big deal, but it might confuse a newbee.

Just thought I'd mention it since I figured out why it happened.

Saluki looks good, by the way. I've played a little so far.

Eathray

Sage

#1665 Post by Sage »

initial boot but booted to a black screen with a "monitor out of range" message.
Been trying to attract Jemimah's attention about this for a while! It's a show stopper for loadsa newcomers. Difficult to understand since all the other Puppies default to much more modest settings. We discussed the whole issue with BK half-a-decade back and several times since. Perhaps J. has limited HW? She often asks for help in various testing aspects. My speciality is resurrection of HW, old & new, so I report this shortcoming. Shame that such amazing talents should be eclipsed by this simple expedient. Surely the first requirement is to get a picture - any picture?

Sage

#1666 Post by Sage »

user-agent setting as Safari(?), so chose the Mac plug-in.

I raised the Safari issue a couple of days ago and DaveS responded with a possible conjecture. We haven't heard Jemimah's definitive explanation yet, but it certainly screwed proper operation of Midori and Opera until she made modifications in v14.

Try this one:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76572
Last edited by Sage on Sat 10 Mar 2012, 08:16, edited 1 time in total.

Eathray

#1667 Post by Eathray »

Sage wrote:
user-agent setting as Safari(?), so chose the Mac plug-in.

I raised the Safari issue a couple of days ago and DaveS responded with a possible conjecture. We haven't heard Jemimah's definitive explanation yet, but it certainly screwed proper operation of Midori and Opera until she made modifications in v14.
Cool Sage,

It was a while ago I reported it but I just thought of it today as to why it must have happened. I think probably as long as the browser is not open during that initial set up until after the flash installer has launched, it won't be an issue. Maybe Jeminah might want to insert a dialogue to pop up and say, "Please don't open the browser until after the flash installer has installed the correct plug-in..." something simple like that to protect the newbee who may be trying Puppy for the very first time...

Eathray

Sage

#1668 Post by Sage »

supra, dealt with by DS:http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76572
Pure conjecture but doesn't the Flash pop-up originate from a Quickset call that Mick introduced for Slacko?
Devil's advocate - what happens if Midori is set to mimic IE?! Probably crashes? At least Google, if not Yahoo, likes Chrome, so maybe that's a better default?

mavrothal

Thunar and SFS_load

#1669 Post by mavrothal »

Thunar defaults to SFS_load for SFSs instead of the "traditional" filemnt.
However, if you accept the default and mount another puppy sfs your system is wasted till you fix /etc/rc.d/BOOTCONFIG.
I was wondering if filemnt is a better default or if SFS_load should refuse to load another puppy main sfs.
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

aragon

#1670 Post by aragon »

hi jemimah,

attached you'll find some packages compiled on saluki 013. Use them for your repo if you like. if i find some more time, i'll compile some more.

All packages should work without adrive and further deps.

Compile opts (where possible)

Code: Select all

CFLAGS="-Os -march=-486 -mtune=i686"
./configure --build=i486-pc-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr --localstatedir=/var --sysconfdir=/etc
all bins and libs are stripped with

strip -R .note -R .comment *
aragon
Attachments
leafpad-0.8.18.1-saluki.pet
(54.12 KiB) Downloaded 137 times
leafpad_NLS-0.8.18.1-saluki.pet
(43.36 KiB) Downloaded 142 times
dwm-6.0-saluki.pet
(40.65 KiB) Downloaded 135 times
beaver-0.4.1.pet
(137.8 KiB) Downloaded 131 times

aarf

#1671 Post by aarf »

swtched puppies to view a pdf.

pemasu

#1672 Post by pemasu »

Doh..double post....see below....
Last edited by pemasu on Sat 10 Mar 2012, 13:08, edited 1 time in total.

pemasu

#1673 Post by pemasu »

It is time to start publishing international Saluki News daily newspaper and to creat Saluki business Cards. Lobster has promised to be the chief editor and Sage has promised to be critic reviewer....joke...

I have compiled the Scribus-1.4.1 and podofo for pdf support in it. It needs scribus-1.4.1. pet + qt-4.8.0 + podofo + ghostscript + python_DEV + aspell.
Python came from devx.sfs and it was the 2.6.4 version from wary5 repo. Sorry, not the jemimah's newer 2.7.2. I dont have knowledge to overwrite devx.sfs version.
Pet.specs file dependencies finds all the other but I couldnt get python_DEV-2.6.4 from wary repo to be seen as dependency, not sure why.
If podofo-0.9.1 will be copied along scribus-1.4.1 pet to the saluki repo, all other dependencies will be downloaded when you accept the chase for them.

Download link:http://smokey01.com/pemasu/Saluki/Saluki-pets/scribus/
Scribus is an Open Source program that brings professional page layout to Linux desktops with a combination of press-ready output and new approaches to page design.
Underneath a modern and user-friendly interface, Scribus supports professional publishing features, such as color separations, CMYK and Spot Color support, ICC color management, and versatile PDF creation
http://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/Help:TOC

http://www.google.com/search?q=youtube% ... %20scribus
Attachments
scribus.jpg
(159.19 KiB) Downloaded 174 times

jemimah

Re: Saluki

#1674 Post by jemimah »

Billtoo wrote:
smplayer and smtube are in the repo but are not showing up in the list
of pets in puppy package manager, but a search for sm finds both.
They won't show if you have them installed already. But if you uninstall them you should see them in the multimedia section.

jemimah

#1675 Post by jemimah »

mavrothal wrote:
jemimah wrote: I've uploaded a new midori 4.4 built against webkitgtk 1.6.3. This one seems really solid at first blush.

You'll probably have to remove midori with the remove-builtins program if you want to see the new version in the ppm.
installed Midori 4.4 over 4.3 and now is stable in a number of sites that was crashing before.
However looks like I can not add new bookmarks. Adding them only shows in the side panel but not in the menu, and after restarting midori they are gone from there too.
Is it just me?

Edit Changed the ~/.config/midori/* permissions from 644 to 664 and now it behaves. eg sticks on restart but only shows in the menus after restart :?
I'll check it out. We can try midori-0.4.3 with webkitgtk 1.6.3 if this bug persists.

jemimah

#1676 Post by jemimah »

Eathray wrote:
jemimah wrote:
Eathray wrote:Jemimah,

Something curious happened on install (Saluki 0.1.1). The flash installer launched when I connected to my network, but installed the flash plugin for Mac instead of Linux... That was odd.

No biggie. I downloaded the tar for Linux and replaced the pertinent files, but thought you would want to know. I've never seen the installer pick the wrong plug-in before. Cosmic quirk?

Eathray
That is odd. I'd understand if you used Midori to download it, since I have it masquerading as Safari. But I have no idea why the flash downloader would do that.
Jeminah,

Sorry to go so far back on a thread, but I figured this out. I had glanced at the browser out of curiosity (because I've never used Midori before), and probably still had it open when the flash installer launched. With the browser window open, apparently the flash installer can see it, and I guess it saw your user-agent setting as Safari(?), so chose the Mac plug-in.

Maybe someone can confirm this behavior? Fresh install, open Midori, wait for the flash installer to launch and see what it chooses.

Just thought I'd mention it since I figured out why it happened.

Saluki looks good, by the way. I've played a little so far.

Eathray
The flash installer is gone. Just install flash from the ppm and you should be set.

jemimah

#1677 Post by jemimah »

DaveS wrote:Having a really strange time with 14. Wireless network has become a real toss of the coin. Sometimes it finds the network interface wlan0, sometimes not. A reboot is the only way I can make it connect. 13 did not behave this way. What changed?
I need more info. Can you run the wireless diagnostics program both when it's working and when it's not working and post the results?

If it's greyed out you can run the diagnositc program from the command line with

/usr/local/Frisbee/pnetworkdiag

jemimah

#1678 Post by jemimah »

Sage wrote:
initial boot but booted to a black screen with a "monitor out of range" message.
Been trying to attract Jemimah's attention about this for a while! It's a show stopper for loadsa newcomers. Difficult to understand since all the other Puppies default to much more modest settings. We discussed the whole issue with BK half-a-decade back and several times since. Perhaps J. has limited HW? She often asks for help in various testing aspects. My speciality is resurrection of HW, old & new, so I report this shortcoming. Shame that such amazing talents should be eclipsed by this simple expedient. Surely the first requirement is to get a picture - any picture?
I don't tell xorg what resolution to pick. Automatic desktop means it's luck of the draw.

If you don't like it, you can use the custom builder to build a puplet that runs the xorgwizard.

jemimah

Re: Thunar and SFS_load

#1679 Post by jemimah »

mavrothal wrote:Thunar defaults to SFS_load for SFSs instead of the "traditional" filemnt.
However, if you accept the default and mount another puppy sfs your system is wasted till you fix /etc/rc.d/BOOTCONFIG.
I was wondering if filemnt is a better default or if SFS_load should refuse to load another puppy main sfs.
I'm not sure how I would tell which sfses should not be union mounted.

jemimah

#1680 Post by jemimah »

aragon wrote:hi jemimah,

attached you'll find some packages compiled on saluki 013. Use them for your repo if you like. if i find some more time, i'll compile some more.

All packages should work without adrive and further deps.

Compile opts (where possible)

CFLAGS="-Os -march=-486 -mtune=i686"
./configure --build=i486-pc-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr --localstatedir=/var --sysconfdir=/etc
all bins and libs are stripped with

strip -R .note -R .comment *
aragon
Thanks. I'll add these to the repo.