Saluki

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Jim1911

#1621 Post by Jim1911 »

Tman wrote:Also, I have created an Nvidia pet in Saluki-13.
Those with Nvidia cards, please test and provide feedback to make sure it works okay on your computer, as this is the first Nvidia pet I haved created. It should be okay, becuase I used other pets as a template to figure out what files I needed, but I need feedback to make sure. It works fine for my Nvidia GT 240.

nvidia-295.20-kernel-3.2.8-saluki.pet
-
Works good with my NVIDIA Geforce 8400 GS on both 013 and 014.

Thanks,
Jim

Jim1911

#1622 Post by Jim1911 »

jemimah wrote:Saluki 14 has been released. This is a release candidate.

New in 014:
The custom builder now shows which packages are missing dependencies and includes the zdrv cutter.

Frisbee updated
Pupdial - UI updated

Various bug fixes and minor enhancements
Updated my 013 save file on my desktop and everything checked is working fine on your latest 014 with the exception of my Printer, Photosmart C5280 All-in-one. The scanning feature does work.

I'll report later about my laptop.

Cheers, :D
Jim

pemasu

#1623 Post by pemasu »

Saluki-014 under the fingers.
/root/.xinitrc still calls Rox-Filer and PuppyPin:

Code: Select all

if [ "$CURRENTWM" != "startxfce4" ];then
	#relocates right-side icons to actual right-side of screen...
	/usr/sbin/fixPuppyPin /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin #v1.0.7

#w468 on old PCs this sometimes does not start, see further down...
	if [ -f /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPan1 ];then
	 rox -p /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin -r /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPan1
	else
	 rox -p /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin
It gives errors to the /tmp/xerrs.log.

Maybe intentional for installing Rox from pet...but I thought to post about it.

I compiled latest mozplugger...I dont know if it helps to that M4 error in /tmp/xerrs.log...but you can try...
I copied the previous /etc/mozpluggerrc content to the included one.
Attachments
mozplugger-1.14.5.pet
(39.54 KiB) Downloaded 191 times

James C

#1624 Post by James C »

Saluki 014 .....misspelling in "customize toolbars" in Midori. Reordered is misspelled.
Attachments
Screenshot.png
(21.44 KiB) Downloaded 931 times

jim3630

#1625 Post by jim3630 »

Elroy nice post. sorry don't know how to use your FPC pet yet.

014 frugal hdd install ext4 pfix=ram on same dual 6100 hp. logitech wireless USB mouse detected without issue.

installed flashplayer from ppm and works without issue in ff pet from repo. looks good will keep testing next few days. thanks

James C

#1626 Post by James C »

Fresh manual frugal install of Saluki 014 on my main Athlon XP box. Network and sound working on initial boot..... used xorgwizard to get correct 1440x900 resolution.

Installed latest Flash and Mozilla libs from PPM .....Flash working in both Midori and Opera sfs.

# report-video
Saluki, version 014 on Thu 8 Mar 2012

Chip description:
0.0 VGA compatible controller
nVidia Corporation NV18 [GeForce4 MX 440 AGP 8x] (rev c1)
oem: NVidia
product: NV18 () Board Chip Rev A2

X Server: Xorg
Driver used: nouveau

X.Org version: 1.11.0
dimensions: 1440x900 pixels (380x238 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

...the above also recorded in /tmp/root/ as report-video,
and archived with xorg.conf and Xorg.0.log as report-video-full.gz

# glxgears
496 frames in 5.0 seconds = 99.127 FPS
469 frames in 5.0 seconds = 93.765 FPS
466 frames in 5.0 seconds = 93.136 FPS
472 frames in 5.0 seconds = 94.264 FPS

Summary
Computer
Processor AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2400+
Memory 1033MB (212MB used)
Operating System Unknown distribution
User Name root (root)
Date/Time Thu 08 Mar 2012 06:53:19 PM CST
Display
Resolution 1440x900 pixels
OpenGL Renderer Software Rasterizer
X11 Vendor The X.Org Foundation
Multimedia
Audio Adapter VIA8233 - VIA 8235

Multimedia audio controller VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8233/A/8235/8237 AC97 Audio Controller
VGA compatible controller nVidia Corporation NV18 [GeForce4 MX 440 AGP 8x]
Ethernet controller Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+

# free
total used free shared buffers
Mem: 1033812 527068 506744 0 63208
-/+ buffers: 463860 569952
Swap: 1228936 0 1228936

Billtoo

Saluki

#1627 Post by Billtoo »

I did a full install of 014.
The CPU frequency scaling utility is working now.

Thu 8 Mar 2012 Operating System: Saluki-014 Linux 3.2.8-ski
0.0 VGA compatible controller:nVidia Corporation GF108[GeForce GT 430](rev a1)
oem: NVIDIA product: GF108 Board - 1071v0p1 Chip Rev

X Server: Xorg Driver: nvidia
X.Org version: 1.11.0
dimensions: 1920x1080 pixels (524x292 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
server glx version string: 1.4
OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL renderer string: GeForce GT 430/PCIe/SSE2/3DNOW!
OpenGL version string: 4.2.0 NVIDIA 295.20

# glxgears
63517 frames in 5.0 seconds = 12703.245 FPS
63728 frames in 5.0 seconds = 12745.583 FPS
63751 frames in 5.0 seconds = 12750.047 FPS

AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1045T Processor
Core 0: 800 1: 800 2: 800 3: 800 4: 800 5: 800 MHz

I'm running firefox 11 beta 6 and it's working well.

I booted the live dvd of 014 and used gparted,puppy universal
installer, and grub4dos to do the full install.
No problems so far.
Attachments
Screenshot.jpg
(109.36 KiB) Downloaded 880 times

jemimah

#1628 Post by jemimah »

Jim1911 wrote:
Tman wrote:Also, I have created an Nvidia pet in Saluki-13.
Those with Nvidia cards, please test and provide feedback to make sure it works okay on your computer, as this is the first Nvidia pet I haved created. It should be okay, becuase I used other pets as a template to figure out what files I needed, but I need feedback to make sure. It works fine for my Nvidia GT 240.

nvidia-295.20-kernel-3.2.8-saluki.pet
-
Works good with my NVIDIA Geforce 8400 GS on both 013 and 014.

Thanks,
Jim
Added to the repo. Thanks!

Marv

Saluki Pascal compiler

#1629 Post by Marv »

Elroy,

FPC installed just fine. Unfortunately most of my programs rely pretty heavily on the Delphi units so I can't easily play with them. The old IDE made me grin though and I ran a couple of my toolbox building blocks through it using the turbo compat mode with no real problems. Seems clean, have fun with Laz.

On to 014.....
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

jemimah

#1630 Post by jemimah »

pemasu wrote:Saluki-014 under the fingers.
/root/.xinitrc still calls Rox-Filer and PuppyPin:

if [ "$CURRENTWM" != "startxfce4" ];then
	#relocates right-side icons to actual right-side of screen...
	/usr/sbin/fixPuppyPin /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin #v1.0.7

#w468 on old PCs this sometimes does not start, see further down...
	if [ -f /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPan1 ];then
	 rox -p /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin -r /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPan1
	else
	 rox -p /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin
It gives errors to the /tmp/xerrs.log.

Maybe intentional for installing Rox from pet...but I thought to post about it.

I compiled latest mozplugger...I dont know if it helps to that M4 error in /tmp/xerrs.log...but you can try...
I left the rox stuff in on purpose. I suppose I should go through and do something about the error messages. Meh. :)

Unless someone else can reproduce the m4 error, I'm going to assume it as due to a config file that somehow became corrupted.

mikeslr

Custom Adrive had to be manually renamed on upgrade

#1631 Post by mikeslr »

Hi jemimah & all,

Another outstanding creation by jemimah.(':D')

Frugal install of Saluki 14 to Saluki directory after saving Saluki 13 files to protected directory. I left a copy of Saluki 13's SaveFile and the adrive.sfs, named "adrv_luki_013.sfs" in the Saluki directory. Booted straight to desktop, preserving my settings, sfses previously installled via sfs_load in Saluki13, recognized opera (being loaded via pet) from /mnt/home, but did not recognize any other app included in adrv...13.sfs. [The recognition of opera from mnt/home is odd, as the pet creating its menu entries was included in my build of adrive under Saluki13. But perhaps because it is run from mnt/home and could not be run before a SaveFile was created, it somehow was also included in the SaveFile which was upgraded on first boot of 14].
At any rate, when I manually renamed adrive to adrv_luki_014.sfs and rebooted it was loaded and all applications in adrive could be started.
There probably should be a routine to "upgrade/rename" adrive as automatically, or optionally, as SaveFiles.
While firefox (pet included in adrive) played the following youtube, opera run from /mnt/home reported "Your browser does not currently recognize any of the video formats avaiable. Click here to visit our ,,, html5."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNU_iN0l ... AAAAAAAAAA

Other youtube vids could be run in opera from mnt/home. I do not have a "normal" opera pet, nor is my Flash the latest if a new one has been included in the repo since Saluki 13 came out. I can test by loading without the old SaveFile --thereby possibly acquiring a "new" Flash-- but as my personal settings included in the SaveFile took some time, I'd like to know before trying that if anyone running a "normal" opera with an "up-to-date" Flash can view an html5 videos. Or is there a separate app for html5 files?

Thanks,

mikesLr

mavrothal

#1632 Post by mavrothal »

jemimah wrote:This is a release candidate.
Alright!
Time for source/woof/patch/config release then?...
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

myman_05

Since you ask

#1633 Post by myman_05 »

Hi... Jemimah

I wish you may add scribus 1.4.0.

Thanks.

p/s: Using saluki as my no. 1 OS

mikeslr

Htlm5 in opera

#1634 Post by mikeslr »

Hi all,

Three posts back I asked the question whether html5 was a separate app. Thinking about that, I realized that it didn't have to be since html5 vids ran in Firefox. So my next guess was that it was missing from opera. Googling indicated it was fully supported in opera 11.61. Since it wasn't in mine, I thought it might be an "extension" I didn't have. While I don't know enough to know if it was necessary, or if there is another way for opera to play html5 files, clicking get Extensions, plugging "html5" into its search box, and adding one named "ExtendTube" enabled opera to play the vid noted in my prior post.
The extension can be found here: https://addons.opera.com/en/addons/exte ... tml5&top=0

mikesLr

minesadorada

#1635 Post by minesadorada »

elroy wrote:
I've built a Free Pascal Compiler pet for Saluki that I need help testing out. If you have any kind of Pascal experience, and the extra time, please check it out and pm me with any feedback that you may have.

I’m hoping to get a version of Lazarus for Saluki up and running and I need to know if this FPC build is up to snuff. Included is the terminal based (old school, Borland style) IDE. Just open a terminal window and enter ‘# fp’ to fire it up. Or you can use a text file (i.e. Geany) and compile from the command line with fpc. Your choice.

Thanks in advance.

FPC pet url: http://www.smokey01.com/saluki/elroy/fpc-2.6.0-i486.pet
Hi Elroy,
Once you get the Lazarus IDE up and running in Saluki I'd be happy to test & report.

Have you talked with forum user @RSH (author of Lazy Puppy)? He has plugged in Lazarus and FPC 32bit to Lucid 5.2.8 and it works 100%. I'm currently using it to code a cross-compilation (with Win32bit and Win64bit) fpc project. I'm hoping and looking out for a Puppy Linux 64bit port of Lazarus/fpc.

@Jeremiah: I cut a Saluki 13 CD yesterday and gave it a go. I really like the way the project is going - thanks for your efforts. I'm watching Saluki's progress with anticipation.

jemimah

Re: Specto and I2P

#1636 Post by jemimah »

Dromeno wrote:Is this the right place to post requests for Saluki?

I hope so... I would like to have a specto pet or sfs

specto is a python dependent website monitor, gives a pupup notification when a website changes. Puppy does not have a webmonitor app yet afaik

request no 2 would be I2P

I2P is an alternative to TOR, I wonder how slow it is compared to TOR. An i2p preconfigured puplet is available at sourceforge but it is of puppy 421. I can not get my wireless working in puppy 421 on my Asus EEE 1215n machine
Specto is now in the repo.

jemimah

Re: UPnP,DLNA,DAAP,RSP,MPD

#1637 Post by jemimah »

kimathi wrote:jemimah wrote:

I've compiled avahi and mdns. Please let me know if it works. 

Also I uploaded a new mpd. Let me know if it's fixed
Have problems with avahi though it should not be hard to resolve. First thing is that avahi doesnt like to run as root so i have to first create user avahi

adduser avahi
then input a password. to start avahi by running in terminal

avahi-daemon
it complains about avahi being unable to run something to do with dbus due to policy. Anyhow my only work around that works is to install the previous version that i had posted and then to clobber it by upgrading to you version of avahi, then everything works. I guess your avahi needs some way to autolaunch either through /etc/init.d script or a way to auto create avahi user or to use another existing user like spot or daemon. If you get avahi to auto start then all is solved.

Mpd works too though i realised you did not include a sample config file. I wonder if someone who has never seen one would be in a position to create one,attached here are my config files. Drop them in /etc and edit where necessary to point to where your music is stored. start them from console/terminal. Also for Mpd create a file in /var/mpd/tag_cache, for forked-daap create a file in /var/cache/forked-daap/songs3.db. Thats it they all work. Your Minidlna too does not have the config file its also attached here.
I've added your example configs to the packages.

Also I fixed avahi to run as root and added the startup scripts. I'm still not sure it is working so let me know.

Tman

#1638 Post by Tman »

Thanks Jim1911 for the feedback about the Nvidia driver.
pemasu wrote: I compiled latest mozplugger...I dont know if it helps to that M4 error in /tmp/xerrs.log...but you can try...
Thanks Pemasu, I have downloaded your mozplugger pet. I will download Saluki 14 today and test Midori again on the weekend.

Jemimah; Midori would be awesome if it was more stable. I am hoping future Midori releases will be.

On a side note, I am trying out Debian 6 stable, at the moment and it comes with Epiphany Web Browser, which I am using for this post.
It's new to me, so some Googling lead me to the following webpage: http://www.techdrivein.com/2011/01/mido ... eview.html

It feels fast in Debian, on my AMD dual-core and has good RAM usage comparable to Midori. Actually uses a little less ram according to the article - correction: it uses less on startup, overall ram usage is a draw.

I wonder how hard it would be to port Epiphany to Puppy? Maybe I will give it a try.
[url=http://www.smokey01.com/Tman/apps/custom_search_html-1.1.pet]Custom Puppy Linux search page[/url]

jemimah

#1639 Post by jemimah »

Tman wrote:Thanks Jim1911 for the feedback about the Nvidia driver.
pemasu wrote: I compiled latest mozplugger...I dont know if it helps to that M4 error in /tmp/xerrs.log...but you can try...
Thanks Pemasu, I have downloaded your mozplugger pet. I will download Saluki 14 today and test Midori again on the weekend.

Jemimah; Midori would be awesome if it was more stable. I am hoping future Midori releases will be.

On a side note, I am trying out Debian 6 stable, at the moment and it comes with Epiphany Web Browser, which I am using for this post.
It's new to me, so some Googling lead me to the following webpage: http://www.techdrivein.com/2011/01/mido ... eview.html

It feels fast in Debian, on my AMD dual-core and has good RAM usage comparable to Midori. Actually uses a little less ram according to the article - correction: it uses less on startup, overall ram usage is a draw.

I wonder how hard it would be to port Epiphany to Puppy? Maybe I will give it a try.
It's not really midori that's unstable - it's the rendering engine webkit. So other webkitgtk browsers are going to have similar issues to midori. (If you work on this I recommend gtkwebkit version 1.4.3 - the most stable version overall in my experience, though I haven't tried 1.6.3 yet)

Anyhoo, I've uploaded midori-4.4 (released yesterday) to the repo.

Jim1911

Saluki 014

#1640 Post by Jim1911 »

Fresh frugal installation of 014 with new save file on my desktop computer. Everything works fine so far except for the printer as I reported earlier using an existing save file. It does not recognize usb printers. See attached image.

Fresh frugal installation of 014 on my laptop is working fine also using existing save file. Everything works that I've checked including installation of a HP printer accessed over a wifi connection.

Cheers,
Jim
Attachments
image-1.jpg
Printer Device list
(68.52 KiB) Downloaded 276 times