Wine 1.1.30 + winetricks +color setter +goodies ...pet & sfs

Virtual machines, emulation, etc.
SilverPuppy

Oh Technosaurus..........

#161 Post by SilverPuppy »

Care to work your magic and make a "proper" .PET of 1.1.30? It sounds like that is the version to have at this point, and it'd be really nice to have your magic applied to it.

Interestingly, I think that some of the bugs it fixes were introduced between 1.1.17 and 1.1.29, since some of the functionality (like right click) that .30 fixed I seem to remember working in .17, but maybe I'm just misremembering. I do know that .17 would play Command and Conquer Tiberian Sun MUCH faster than Windoze, although the internet play didn't work. It would act like it was going to, then fail at the last second. I'll have to try it again and see if it works now.

EDIT: satishbhawra37 sounded like s/he was stating that another .PET was available, but I see no link. ???

technosaurus

#162 Post by technosaurus »

I am currently working heavily in developing the 4.4 CE and am thus doing everything in 4.3. I can make pets pretty easily that would probably work for earlier versions, but the sfs will not be compatible due to the newer squashfs. I think there is a conversion tool though.

When the final CE is released I am hoping to have a separate release that has a good collection of the most popular sfs packages including wine, open office and alternate web browsers and window managers.

There a few things that I would like to accomplish before building the next wine release - upgrading gcc to version 4.3.4 or 4.4.1 is the biggest one as it will allow for a smaller and faster compiles (I have been studying lots of optimization techniques). The other big one is to collect all of the important registry entries that improve performance (font antialiasing, video performance etc...) - Does anyone have these registry entries collected already? Aside from that it is about time to update the dependencies to the latest stable versions and updating winetools as always.

When I build the sfs I run the wine configure script and include my pre configured settings so that it doesn't all end up in your pupsave files unless you make changes. This is to benefit the users with limited resources but I am curious to know if it has caused any issues.

Thanks for your patience,
Brad
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

SilverPuppy

Sigh......

#163 Post by SilverPuppy »

Well, then, I guess we'll just have to limp along on as-is .PETs until Techno has time for his hocus-pocus. :cry:

When is the next stable release coming out?

Side note: can anybody read the words next to Bogart (in my Avatar) or is it too small?

tlchost

Portable apps

#164 Post by tlchost »

In previous versions of the wine .pet/.sfs it was possible to simply click on a portableapps .exe file and it would run. The current version seems to be missing that function and detecting portable apps and mounting it at startup.

What file(s) should I copy from an older version to have the above with the current version?

Thanks

Thom

technosaurus

#165 Post by technosaurus »

/root/Startup contains the startup script for portable apps - or there is a tarball earlier in the thread that has everything, including extra dependencies and winetools etc... just untar it to / (tar -xzf tarball.tar.gz or tar) or just untar it somewhere els and move it to /

Poll to JACK users - I have been compiling against JACK - would JACK2 be better or is JACK working well for you?
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

SilverPuppy

Jack be nimble, jack be quick.....

#166 Post by SilverPuppy »

Well, I for one have never had a problem with things compiled against Jack, but who knows, maybe Jill would be better. :wink:

Seriously, Jack has always worked fine for everything I've used it with.

Gedrean

#167 Post by Gedrean »

technosaurus wrote:I am currently working heavily in developing the 4.4 CE and am thus doing everything in 4.3. I can make pets pretty easily that would probably work for earlier versions, but the sfs will not be compatible due to the newer squashfs. I think there is a conversion tool though.
Well Brad I've tried the conversion tool for the .24 release and it seemed okay, it opened up and all the files in it seemed clean and Puppy said it was happy (I'm running 4.3) but I haven't yet restarted with it to have it mount at startup...
Since there's a conversion tool a SFS for 4.3 could be awesome, since we CAN download the SFS convert tool for those of us on 4.2...

But if it can't be done that's cool, a PET for 30 would be just as appreciated since it'd at least allow Wine to work -- 24's SFS may work just fine but I haven't been able to test, and some of these "fixes" might fix some of the oddities with Wine I've seen for a while (some apps won't even show menus for me, or the menus open in different locations on screen).

I really just need it because I have to use ImgBurn (because the burning software on Puppy doesn't do UDF correctly supposedly... linux UDF is funny like that)

vovchik

#168 Post by vovchik »

Dear technosaurus,

Jack - the normal version - is just fine for me....

With kind regards,
vovchik

PS. Does this mine a new compile is in the works? :)

Gedrean

#169 Post by Gedrean »

Oh, and, uhh, I've never figured out wth Jack is so whatever is good. :) Seriously, if it works it works, and so far Tech's builds up to now have been great and worked perfectly.

Yay Technosaur, trusted puppydev. :)

technosaurus

#170 Post by technosaurus »

Hey, "I don't know jack" either - that's why I asked.

henryfranz2005

#171 Post by henryfranz2005 »

cool thanks for this! I can now use adobe fireworks and adobe photoshop cs4 (hopefully) thanks man!

SelftaughtGeek

#172 Post by SelftaughtGeek »

First I'm very new to Linux and Puppy so apologies if my questions are stupid and basic

I have Puppy4.2.1 booted from live cd with a frugal install on an NTFS partition of my HD

I've been trying with various WINE downloads and the official old Pets and I just can't get anything to work

I'd like to be able to access some MS OFfice apps already on a separate HD partition where my windows stuff is and play the occasional Windows game

What do I need to download and how do I install it - step by step instructions please?

Do I need to reinstall all my windows apps after?

Will WINE allow me to open a Word document and print it on my windows only printer? No Linux drivers available for a Canon i350

Sorry for al the questions - hope someone can answer them

Cheers
STG
Everything I know I found out for myself but only after some kind person pointed out the way.
I'm not really a Geek, just hate things that don't work

technosaurus

#173 Post by technosaurus »

See initial post for the 1.1.30 for the wine_lite-1.1.30-i486.pxt <<--- yes pXt (just install my pxtget patch and right click the .pxt to "save as" and then click to install it)

adds openAL and mpg123 support - next compile should have libgsm support as well (it doesn't build a .so by default) I did finally figure out how to build it but I'm too tired to start from scratch - it is only for lossy telephone quality voice... not worth literally losing sleep over

p.s. the only reason it is called Lite is that is missing wine dev tools - for compiling in win32

jur

#174 Post by jur »

Right, I downloaded wine .pxt and the patch. Installed the petget patch, but the pxt file is ignoring me.

(Running puppy 4.30.) Any pointers?

vovchik

#175 Post by vovchik »

Dear technosaurus,

Your 1.1.30 version works just fine in Puppy 3.01 and 4.10. I could not use petget or clicking on the file for the install (have to look into that), but manual unpacking/ installation with the help of xz did the trick. I am amazed at how much space is saved with the pxt archive.

Thanks...

With kind regards,
vovchik

technosaurus

#176 Post by technosaurus »

you can right click on the pxt and associate it with petget - I thought I added that to /rooot/Choices/mime..... for some reason it is sean as "octet stream" - not on Puppy right now so I'll check it when I get home

mbridges1

Games

#177 Post by mbridges1 »

I downloaded the most recent version of WINE and successfully installed it. I am running Puppy 430 on an old Gateway 400 Pentium II with 128 MB RAM. The system barely booted with XP, so it's been idle a while. Absolutely love Puppy! Only problem is that I have a lot of old Windows 95 games that the grandchildren want to run.

Even with WINE, I am still unable to run these programs. They give me the same error that I got with XP.

Candy Land gives an error saying it can't run except in 256 color video mode. Disney Magic Artist just hangs forever "checking your system requirements". Same with the Hercules game.

Is there anything I can do to help these old games to run under Puppy?

green_dome

Games

#178 Post by green_dome »

I do not know about the other games you mentioned 'mbridges1', but there is a tip for the 'Hercules Action Game' at WineHQ.

There is an interesting forum discussion with links to other information.
Why can't Wine do 256 colors?

lucdeluc

#179 Post by lucdeluc »

Dear technosaurus,
only a question
for wine 1130 i have to install over an old install( your wine 1128) or simply i have to disinstall old and the install new?
my best reguards
luc

technosaurus

#180 Post by technosaurus »

This should include all of the goodies. The only things you may wish to add are the rarely used dependencies (xorg_xorg_full_dri, esd, jack, openldap, mpg123, gnutls... & more if you are using a barbones version - pet get will give hints to this) Just note that if you need 3d support (GL, GLU, dri) you will likely need to run the xorg wizard again after installing the full xorg package.