What Windows applications do want?

Using applications, configuring, problems
floborg

#16 Post by floborg »

Inuyasha wrote:
floborg wrote:GuitarPro4, PowerTab, and K-Meleon. Haven't had any success thusfar.
Try TuxGuitar. The downside is that you need java.
Thanks, but, been there, done that. The Java soundbank, even the deluxe one, sounds terrible. Timidity also sounds pretty bad relative to what I'm used to with Windows.

bear

#17 Post by bear »

I'm running win2000 on a 25 GB file in virtualbox. Seamless integration is great!
With JWM you will have to use autohide tray.

Sometimes I use it as a fileserver, but note that bridge-utils won't work in newer puppies.
So there is only NAT.

bear

jrb

#18 Post by jrb »

I use TextAloud from nextup.com to make talking books from ebooks. I'm using Wine 9.17 and TA works beautifully. I'm able to split the text files into 5kb packages and convert them to mp3's. TA appends sequential numbers before the file extension, ie: Wizard_of_OZ_001.txt. Each file plays for about 5 minutes. My mp3 player plays files in the order they are loaded so I have built script files to load them sequentially.

LS650

#19 Post by LS650 »

There's a light-cycle racing game called 'glTRON' (see www.gltron.org) that I quite like.
Yeah, I can run Armagetron, but I prefer playing glTRON - but I can't seem to get the Linux version installed and working in Puppy.

GrantsV

#20 Post by GrantsV »

Adobe Illustrator

tlchost

Re: What Windows applications do want?

#21 Post by tlchost »

Bruce B wrote: What Windows applications do you want to run?
I find the software available at http://portableapps.com/ very helpful, in that they don't write to the windows registry....I carry the entire suite, plus others on a USB drive and would be ery happy if I could incorporate them in the Puppy LiveCD I use.

Volsung

#22 Post by Volsung »

All linux apps are "portable" b/c there is no registry. Most of the apps available there have linux versions.
[img]http://img385.imageshack.us/img385/3843/magussigbc0.jpg[/img]

MU

#23 Post by MU »

tlchost

#24 Post by tlchost »

Volsung wrote:All linux apps are "portable" b/c there is no registry. Most of the apps available there have linux versions.
Sure...take keepass...last time I tried to install it there were missing libraries...and the link in the forum to get the libraries was broken.

Perhaps installing Wine would work...

Pizzasgood

#25 Post by Pizzasgood »

All linux apps are "portable" b/c there is no registry
I was going to mention before that there are more than one level of "portable". Statically compiled apps, for example, tend to be much more portable than dynamically. They're also a good bit bigger, especially if you have more than one that could be sharing a library.

Then there's the issue of paths. Dynamically compiled apps expect the libraries to be in the path (usually /lib, /usr/lib, /usr/local/lib, and /usr/X11R7/lib). For generic system libraries that's fine, but it usually includes their own libraries too. So if you want to use them in a system that doesn't already have the libraries installed, but you don't want to "dirty" that system by putting the libraries in it's filesystem, you need to write a "wrapper" script that adds those libraries to the LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable before running the program (which won't affect any apps not run from either that script or anything it launches).

Some apps, like Firefox and Thunderbird, include the libraries and binaries in a separate firefox/ or thunderbird/ directory, so that the above isn't an issue. But that's not very different from statically compiling them, because they can't share the libraries (unless you tear them out and replace them with symlinks, which may or may not work...).
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

koolie

What Windows applications do want?

#26 Post by koolie »

The first time I posted in the forum I said I wished to get ZoneMinder to work with Puppy.
That wish was subsequently granted in the form of Watchdog. (ZM was already a Linux prog).

Seeing as there is now a Windows wish list, I wish I could get TopOCR as a Linux native.
I am using it extensively for reading-aloud large PDF-image files, after mogrifying the images
with ImageMagick (in Linux, of course).

Actually, Windoze is not a bad program when it is run in VirtualBox under Puppy, and it cant
get control over the hard disk, and you dont use it on the net, and you replace all its apps, and..

TopOCR is a brilliant free prog which will let you use the cam in your mobile phone as the image
source (as well as a scanner), does OCR on-the-fly, and reads it out to you.

http://www.topocr.com/