Torsmo 0.18 desktop system monitors

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
mikeb

#16 Post by mikeb »

Yesterday evening I tried to make a fresh new install on a USB key to try to solve two issues (this one on Conky an another on EZpup) on a 'clean' Xorg install. With Conky I had a partial success: if I use the default rc file installed by the pup file (with a black background) I have no flickers, while if I use the transparent one I was experimenting before I still have flickering. I had no time (I was too asleep!) to compare the two files, I suppose it should be a setting as trapster suggested: I'll let you know. But this is a proof that flickering and desktop content erasure can occur also with Xorg.
With Jwm it randomly dissappears and also the rox pinboard icons.
With xfce stable including rox icons inc transparent

mike

MyPup

#17 Post by MyPup »

I would like to thank alienjeff for all his help that he gave me with my conky as i would have never gotten the weather scripts going without him. I started just wanting some basic system info and a battery but I tend to go overboard and while I wouldn't suggest going this far unless you have plenty of memory and cpu. I really like being able to see just whats going on under heavy load situations and can glance over at conky and see where I am in resources. Thanks alienjeff and all the other good people that have helped me from the puppy community.Image[/img] Attached are the files i used. I started by downloading the conky-1.4.9.pet After you install it following those directions then reboot and replace the original conk.cr with this one be sure you save it first in case you don't like mine.To use these just make a weather folder in your home directory with weather.sh and weather.xslt inside. These are the files alienjeff made for me as i could never figure them out. You will also place the new conky.rc file from this download there as well. Then (if you have a laptop and need to monitor the battery) place the battery script in usr/local/bin (right click make search able) also be sure to add the command modprobe battery in ect/rc.d/rc.local. You should be good to go although, the rss feeds and weather will not come up till about five minutes one booting you can look in the conky.rc file and at the bottom you can change the zip code to suit your city. I hope this will save someone a lot of work and hopefully someone with more skills can improve and add or fix what may be wrong as i would like to someday get gmail working with conky (hint hint) maybe some of you can share your conky scripts and help with those of us that are linux challenged. I would also like to thank big_bass, ttuuxxx, DigitalCrypto, Rhino and all of you that have helped me to learn and grow with puppy. Thank you all for the help and the work that all of you have done with puppy. FYI this was used on a fatfree 3.00 build. In case that it matters
Attachments
mypups conky.tar.gz
(4.81 KiB) Downloaded 364 times

MyPup

#18 Post by MyPup »

Here is an update to my conky.rc file as it had a stripped bar where processes and running is so i tightened the space up to look cleaner and changed some colors around and taken out the reference to duo-core. To change the weather to show your city open the conky.rc file by right clicking open as text drill down to the bottom line and you will see this > ${execi 300 /root/weather/weather.sh 74129} <-just change the zip code at the end to your city.

Botanic

#19 Post by Botanic »

alienjeff wrote:Thanks, Mark. ;) Should have mentioned my Conky app was compiled from source on Puppy v2.12 with JWM updated to v2.0.1 - in case that matters.
i compiled from source on Puppy 2.16, i'm using IceWM. I tried executing conky and obtained a rather different result from the image you posted. i'm sure it's about configuring, but i find nothing in root, no .conkyrc :cry:
Attachments
conky.jpg
(16.44 KiB) Downloaded 953 times
Puppy 2.16 on HP Vectra VL400 - PIII 800 MHz - 320M RAM
Wary on Acer Aspire X3200 - Phenom X4 - 2.2GHz - 4G RAM

MU

#20 Post by MU »

open leafpad.
copy & paste the text from the examples posted before.

Save that text in /root/ as .conkyrc

Mark

Botanic

#21 Post by Botanic »

cool 8)
Puppy 2.16 on HP Vectra VL400 - PIII 800 MHz - 320M RAM
Wary on Acer Aspire X3200 - Phenom X4 - 2.2GHz - 4G RAM

ThatMole

#22 Post by ThatMole »

Works great after a little tinkering. Running puppy v3.01.
Not using a laptop (therefore didnt need the battery information). so i deleted line 159 in .conkyrc :

Code: Select all

${execi 10 /usr/local/bin/battery}${color #ddd}Battery:  $color
${battery} 
so it didnt repeat /usr/local/bin/battery "unable to find" in console every few seconds.

also added

conky -d 
to .xinitrc (so that conky autostarts and hides console) at the very bottom above these lines:

##v2.14 rarsa: update xdg menu for w.m. that do not allow includes...
#which ${CURRENTWM}_menu_refresh && ${CURRENTWM}_menu_refresh
#...no, now doing it differently, see /usr/sbin/fixmenus

#v2.17 removed, interferes with clipboard in Composer....
##v2.15 disovered by GuestToo...
#[ "`which glipper`" != "" ] && glipper &
#v2.17 made it optional...
[ -f /root/.glipper_on ] && glipper &

#exec $CURRENTWM
#v2.11 GuestToo suggested this improvement...
which $CURRENTWM && exec $CURRENTWM
[ -x $CURRENTWM ] && exec $CURRENTWM
exec jwm
Transparency issue:
Has black background on conky at startup. Quick workaround is to open puppybackground desktop image, change background to solid color, then change back to desired background.
I tried to edit .xinitrc as seen on another forum post to set the transparency but it wouldnt allow xwin to start:
Pizzasgood wrote:You're probably also going to have a problem with the background not showing through. That's because some of the more recent Puppies don't bother to set the root-window after they boot. This can be fixed easily. Go into /root/.xinitrc and change the lines that look like this:

if [ ! -f /root/Choices/ROX-background.jpg ];then
  cp /usr/share/backgrounds/default.jpg /root/Choices/ROX-background.jpg
  setrox2backdrop /usr/share/backgrounds/default.jpg
 fi
To this:

if [ ! -f /root/Choices/ROX-background.jpg ];then
  cp /usr/share/backgrounds/default.jpg /root/Choices/ROX-background.jpg
 fi
 /usr/local/Puppybackground/puppybackgroundmenu saved
most of this information for the edits was found on http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 10&t=22447

Thanks to mypup for this conky edit and background in screenshot

EDIT: forgot screenshot x.X

ThatMole

#23 Post by ThatMole »

Also another fix found today. Because I'm using eth1 and not eth0, i changed it accordingly so that the Network meter works. Line 160 (or around line 160) on .conkyrc should be changed from:

${color} Down:${color #9955ff} ${downspeed eth0} k/s${color lightgrey} ${offset 80}Up:${color #22ccff} ${upspeed eth0} k/s
${color #9955ff}${downspeedgraph eth0 32,150 cc0000 0000cc} ${color #22ccff}${upspeedgraph eth0 32,150 0000cc cc0000}

to:

${color} Down:${color #9955ff} ${downspeed eth1} k/s${color lightgrey} ${offset 80}Up:${color #22ccff} ${upspeed eth1} k/s
${color #9955ff}${downspeedgraph eth1 32,150 cc0000 0000cc} ${color #22ccff}${upspeedgraph eth1 32,150 0000cc cc0000}

Hope this helps another newbie =)