Lucid Puppy 5.1- A Full-Featured Compact Distro

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
scruffy

Lupu 508 sound

#1481 Post by scruffy »

Stripe wrote:Hi all

update on sound
Now trying to install nvidia's own driver 256.44 but it cannot find the kernel source when trying to install. (devx.508.sfs is loaded at boot up)
After spending 4 days solid on trying to get the sound working consistantly I give up

Stripe
Hi Stripe,
this is probably a total red herring but have you tried disabling auto sound detection in BIOS. It could be trying to use onboard sound.
In my BIOS I go to 'integrated peripherals' ->onboard device -> audio and then disable. Worth a try if you haven't done so already.

Iguleder

#1482 Post by Iguleder »

Problems on my Eee 1001PX, the synaptics module is not loaded and the eeepc-extras module is there but still not loaded for some reason.

Can't configure my touchpad, crazy scrolling, it's very sensitive ... and no hotkeys.
[url=http://dimakrasner.com/]My homepage[/url]
[url=https://github.com/dimkr]My GitHub profile[/url]

Stripe

#1483 Post by Stripe »

Hi all

downloaded and installed source code sfs to a clean frugal install, ran nvidia installer, ignored errors

failed to exicute "/sbin/depmod -sh" : sbin/depmod: invalid option--"q"
BusyBox v1.16.2 (2010-06-19 18:02:46 GMT-8) multi call binary

Driver installed and saved details to xorg.conf but when I tried to load it was replaced with vesa when running test screen.
The driver 256.44 is an update to 256.35 which I have instaled on another instance of 508 and is suffering from the loss of sound problems.

Looks like the system is finding the sound chip on the graphics card and installing that as the default soundcard. rather than the on board sound card.
cannot find any options in nvidia to correct this as it seems that it is the nvidia driver telling the system to use this chip as default.

Nothing in the bios to choose what to use as default soundcard.

Alsa wizard will let me choose and use the sis onboard sound, but as soon as the system is rebooted it reverts to using the Graphics card sound chip.

Using the standard NV driver does not suffer from this problem but is not using the graphics card fully as mplayer will not play full screen and the video quality on vlc is not as good.

But am sticking with this for the moment as at least I have sound.

But could I blacklist the nvidia sound chip?

Thanks 01micko
Stripe
Last edited by Stripe on Thu 05 Aug 2010, 15:25, edited 2 times in total.

DaveS

#1484 Post by DaveS »

Iguleder wrote:Problems on my Eee 1001PX, the synaptics module is not loaded and the eeepc-extras module is there but still not loaded for some reason.

Can't configure my touchpad, crazy scrolling, it's very sensitive ... and no hotkeys.
Iguleder, I posted a hotkey fix here, but I think it got missed http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 113#439113
With the touchpad, configure it using the flsynclient app in the menus. You have to enable tapping by increasing the 'taptime' element in the GUI. You can also configure scrolling there, but when you have finished, go into /root/.flsynclient/ and look for the clickfinger entries. Set them all to 1, re-start, and all should be ok.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

fyujj

#1485 Post by fyujj »

Now, just saying that shinobar's Countrywizard worked great for the keyboard layout setting without affecting the automatic video setup that was fine from the start.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=58312
Also i forgot to mention that it was nice to see the automatic eth0 setup as well.

fyujj

#1486 Post by fyujj »

I set my locale to pt_BR (Portuguese/Brazil) and the application entries are in pt_BR but the system entries are in an Eastern European language (both with and without UTF-8 enabled).
Attachments
mixed_locale.png
Application specific entries in Portuguese and system-wide entries in another language.
(51.76 KiB) Downloaded 357 times
Last edited by fyujj on Thu 05 Aug 2010, 15:32, edited 2 times in total.

fyujj

#1487 Post by fyujj »

double-post
Attachments
mixed_locale.png
(51.76 KiB) Downloaded 361 times

fyujj

#1488 Post by fyujj »

Ok, I fixed that by copying some .mo files I had from a Debian installation. This must be the GTK localization so I'll try to pick which was the right file and then I post again or edit this post.
(of course you guys that are building this may know and get it from Ubuntu 10.04 directly)

-edit: /usr/share/locale/pt_BR/LC_MESSAGES/gtk20.mo is the file. I have no idea why it originally used an eastern European language as the fallback.

Also as Lupu doesn't come with much localized files, is there a .pet or something that fetches all the localization files for the default applications that come in the live-CD?
-edit2: I just noted that the translation worked with some older .mo files I had online but not with newer ones (I tested with the gtk20.mo and wget.mo files) so maybe it's important that the translation files match with the application versions.
Last edited by fyujj on Thu 05 Aug 2010, 17:34, edited 1 time in total.

fyujj

#1489 Post by fyujj »

One can open ROX-Filer from within Firefox's/Seamonkey's download manager window if one has a "roxuri" file for that, as explained in http://antix.freeforums.org/post13477.h ... uri#p13477
I know FF/SM aren't the default browsers in Lupu but maybe the devs would be interested in adding a /usr/local/bin/roxuri.

sinc

#1490 Post by sinc »

sorry to be lazy and not run all the tests requested of me but I see that Mick has done it and I installed the file he attached and that fixed the issue with PUI not installing to the ext4 partition. after placing that one file, it was fixed.

i still can't boot on the ext4 partition but i think thats grubs fault. i am using the grub from 421 and really prefer the nice boot screen but all the files installed to the correct partition now.

sorry if thats being lazy, let me know if you would still prefer i run the requested tests. thank all you guys for your tireless efforts.

And if I may...one other thing, is it possible to have the volume control in the taskbar control the volume with headsets in? Or should i not worry about it?

playdayz

#1491 Post by playdayz »

I've posted a bunch of pet packages for music production in the "Additional Software" -> "Multimedia" section of the forum, including Qjackctl, Rosegarden, ZynAddSubFx, MuSe, Audacious, and others.

All compiled and tested on Lucid Puppy. Very Happy

What are the chances of these getting included in Quickpet?
l0wt3ch, Not in Quickpet this time, but in the puppy-lucid repo of Puppy Package Manager (the one users see by default). I may not get them added by release, and some may not work correctly in PPM, but we will have another list in lupu News from Quickpet. Thanks. Did you get Hydrogen by any chance--I found it yesterday because my daughter wants some dub creation programs. LMMS looks awesome but steep learning curve. Thanks.
Iguleder, I posted a hotkey fix here, but I think it got missed http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 113#439113
DaveS, Not missed but not included in 508--will be in 509. Thanks. Wait. Are you sure this is the one iguleder needs? This one was the function keys for sound, brightness, etc.
chrismt
willem1940NLD
sinc
01micko
BarryK
Thank you all. I went to a concert and when I came home it was done. I like that!
Last edited by playdayz on Thu 05 Aug 2010, 18:43, edited 1 time in total.

playdayz

#1492 Post by playdayz »

Also as Lupu doesn't come with much localized files, is there a .pet or something that fetches all the localization files for the default applications that come in the live-CD?
We are certainly trying to accommodate localization and language support. Many of the main programs already have language support, Abiword, the word processor, Gnumeric, the spreadsheet, Geany, the text editor, Quickpet thanks to 01micko and his translation team, gnome-mplayer, the multimedia player, and several of the browsers are automatically language appropriate. We have also done what you suggest and prepared a package of language support and documentation for mtpaint, the image editor--that is in the puppy Package Manager. We intend to try to prepare other such packages. Thanks for your help.

nooby

#1493 Post by nooby »

Hope I am not making a fool of myself.

Suppose one are from abroad but working in Sweden. The computer one borrowed from friends have a Swedish keyboard but one don't understand Swedish so one need to be able to have the keyboard in Swedish but the language that program uses should be in English.

That is what I do prefer despite me being a native Swede.

I get upset when program suddenly switch to Swedish.

I trust my 80 year old neighbor would love that everything is in Swedish so I know my request is a tiny minority wish.

The good thing with everything in English is that you could ask linux users from all over the world what is going on or how to do things when one have hit the ground and fail to understand a feature.

If the program talk local language you only have Swedes to ask and they most likely don't have Puppy apart from a handful of enthusiasts .

Just my view :)

So don't change the local thing but see to that one can combine one local keyboard setting with keeping English everywhere else in menu and program texts.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

rjbrewer

#1494 Post by rjbrewer »

Haven't been able to make a bootable usb-flash with "Bootflash"

Loading the "High-Xorg" drivers for Intel actually degrades
performance on video streams on my 700m laptop.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

fyujj

#1495 Post by fyujj »

nooby wrote:So don't change the local thing but see to that one can combine one local keyboard setting with keeping English everywhere else in menu and program texts.
Countrywizard should do just that.

fyujj

#1496 Post by fyujj »

playdayz wrote:
We are certainly trying to accommodate localization and language support. Many of the main programs already have language support, Abiword, the word processor, Gnumeric, the spreadsheet, Geany, the text editor, Quickpet thanks to 01micko and his translation team, gnome-mplayer, the multimedia player, and several of the browsers are automatically language appropriate. We have also done what you suggest and prepared a package of language support and documentation for mtpaint, the image editor--that is in the puppy Package Manager. We intend to try to prepare other such packages. Thanks for your help.
I thank you. So I'm attaching here the gtk20.mo file that worked for me in case you want it and also the wget.mo file that I saw that worked too. There other gtk*.mo files too since maybe you know that they're also useful.
There's still the issue of me getting this eastern European language as a fallback when the system didn't find the pt_BR localization for an application. I'll double check to confirm that but it's better that the fallback language is English, of course.
Attachments
pt_BR_messages.tar.gz
(121.98 KiB) Downloaded 368 times

01micko

#1497 Post by 01micko »

sinc wrote:
i still can't boot on the ext4 partition but i think thats grubs fault. i am using the grub from 421 and really prefer the nice boot screen but all the files installed to the correct partition now.

sorry if thats being lazy, let me know if you would still prefer i run the requested tests. thank all you guys for your tireless efforts.
Did you try to add an entry manually in your /boot/grub/menu.lst file?

This is what is in mine:

Code: Select all

title Linux (on /dev/sda1)
  root (hd0,0)
  kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda1 ro vga=790
hth

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

escucha

#1498 Post by escucha »

Hi,
what about initrd.gz file?

That's mine entry point in menu.lst for grub:
title lupu-508

kernel (hd0,0)/lupu-508/vmlinuz pmedia=atahd psubdir=lupu-508 nosmp

initrd (hd0,0)/lupu-508/initrd.gz

01micko

#1499 Post by 01micko »

escucha wrote:Hi,
what about initrd.gz file?

That's mine entry point in menu.lst for grub:
title lupu-508

kernel (hd0,0)/lupu-508/vmlinuz pmedia=atahd psubdir=lupu-508 nosmp

initrd (hd0,0)/lupu-508/initrd.gz
ahhhh.... mine is for full install, yours for frugal... :wink:

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

bigpup

#1500 Post by bigpup »

Stripe,
Looks like the system is finding the sound chip on the graphics card and installing that as the default soundcard. rather than the on board sound card.
cannot find any options in nvidia to correct this as it seems that it is the nvidia driver telling the system to use this chip as default.
Look to see if there is a jumper or mechanical switch on the video card to disable it's sound chip.
The bios on the computer should have an option to disable on board sound so that an add-on sound card can be primary sound.
This looks like the classic two devices trying to do the same thing and the operating system getting confused.