ChurchPup

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
KF6SNJ

#141 Post by KF6SNJ »

LOF wrote:Afraid I don't know enough about KDE and BibleTime to give you any advice.

Just to point out, we'll be using BibleDesktop not BibleTime in CHurchPup (as it stands at the moment).

Alpha coming soon, I promise.

Not too familiar with BibleDesktop. I will keep working on this dependency issue though, if only for the sake of those who are familiar with BibleTime and would like to be able to use it. I tried miniKDE335.sfs and it didn't work, so I am going to see if I can't find something else. I will post my progress (or lack thereof) when I have more to report. I will try to check into BibleDesktop though so I can know more about it though. Sounds interesting.

37fleetwood

#142 Post by 37fleetwood »

You know, I was just thinking that the Idea of Puppy was to be small and portable on a CD. would it be easier to simply link to an online site such as The Blue Letter Bible at http://www.blueletterbible.org/ which has full search capabilities including dictionaries, concordances, study helps, maps, devotionals, commentaries, etc. this site has a comprehensive selection of translations that should satisfy all tastes. it would seem to answer all problems except people without internet connection, however they offer their Blue Letter Bible CD at no cost if you cannot afford to give. the CD has simple system requirements, A Mozilla 1.0 compatible browser such as Firefox. the CD comes with instructions for transferring it to hard drive if using one. please check it out and see what you think. even if it isn't suitable I feel it is worth bookmarking. :D
Scott 8)

keithcleaver

#143 Post by keithcleaver »

While we're talking about online Bibles, I've come across an interesting project being done by the LifeChurch group of churches in the US. Check out http://www.youversion.com for more information.

37fleetwood

#144 Post by 37fleetwood »

the churches core beliefs look sound, but it seems to be by invite only, how do you get in?
Scott 8)

LOF

#145 Post by LOF »

Hey guys,

Thought I owed you a brief update. Since my last post my computer has decided to mess itself up, again. Thus to be honest I won't be able to create the alpha version during the next few days (at least). Also I'd better point out that I am away again for another week starting Saturday, doing some church youthwork. So don't expect to see ChurchPup for a couple of weeks.

Sorry to let you guys down a bit. If anybody wants to try and make a quick remaster with all the packages we've got together already, be my guest.

Cheers, sorry, over and out.
Cheers,

[b]LOF[/b]
:D

KF6SNJ

#146 Post by KF6SNJ »

No sweat. I can wait it out. I may try using churchpup to upgrade the amateur radio version of puppy (digipup). Then I will have the best of both worlds. I think this will be cool.

Pax,
Christopher Rose

keithcleaver

#147 Post by keithcleaver »

37fleetwood wrote:the churches core beliefs look sound, but it seems to be by invite only, how do you get in?
Scott 8)
Yeah, the reason for that is because the project in currently in development. There's no word yet on if/when a public Beta will be available.

I'lll do some checking with the people responsible this weekend, and get back to everyone here.

jeffrey

#148 Post by jeffrey »

For a music composition package allowing prototyping during composition you could use Philip's Music Write (PMW, 2MB) and Timidity (9MB). These packages are available for Puppy Linux. I have bundled PMW up with a simple music composition script that allows one to edit a text file representing the music, save it, and see the sheet music generated and hear it played. Then one can edit and save the file again, developing the music as one goes.
See http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=20892 for more details.

youji

#149 Post by youji »

This is beyond the realm of creepy.

edoc

#150 Post by edoc »

youji wrote:This is beyond the realm of creepy.
Huh?
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603

PrairieDog

#151 Post by PrairieDog »

edoc wrote:Huh?
Here too.

KF6SNJ

#152 Post by KF6SNJ »

For the sake of ChurchPup, I am wondering what version of BibleDesktop will be used. I am going to test the 32M version tonight. I was unable to get BibleTime to work at all. I will likely uninstall it and the related sword packages and then try to reinstall it later. I just hope that this will work better on my present puppy install, or I will just have to wait until ChurchPup comes out.

9:27PM:

BibleDesktop is quite impressive. Perfect for a seminary student. Available books include KJV, Tynsdale, WEB, ESV, and even the Triglotta Concordia. Having now tried BibleDesktop, I am really excited about seeing ChurchPup and will not even bother with BibleTime any longer insofar as puppy is concerned.

bobwrit

#153 Post by bobwrit »

PrairieDog wrote:
edoc wrote:Huh?
Here too.
I need help with my forum. [b][u]LINK:[/u][/b][url]http://www.programers.co.nr/[/url]
[url]http://www.freewebs.com/programm/iframe.html[/url] is my gateway page...

KF6SNJ

#154 Post by KF6SNJ »

Using one of the previously posted backgrounds and a little advice from LOF, I managed to create a reasonable idea on what a working screenshot of ChurchPup might look like. For this particular shot, I have BibleDesktop setup with Mark 7, which is the particular gospel I am writing a summary of for my study of Mark course I have been working on this summary (I also have a summary of Luke to write as well, I was working on three courses this summer).
Attachments
desk.png
Could ChurchPup look like this?
(77.19 KiB) Downloaded 785 times
The only windows I have are those on my home.

afgs

#155 Post by afgs »

Great.
Can't wait for the final version.
GBU.

KF6SNJ

#156 Post by KF6SNJ »

afgs, I agree. I bet the final product will look far superiour than my screen shot. I just hope that I will have better luck with my printer on ChurchPup than I have now (see hardware>>printers). I miss the old printer tool, it worked so much better than what puppy has now.

PeacebyJesus

Newbie New comer

#157 Post by PeacebyJesus »

I am glad to see the project listed. I am an fairly seasoned Windows user but largely ignorant of what is needed to do many of the things i want to do on Linux. I run Ubuntu and a 3rd drive, triple booting when necessary with Vista HB and XP HE. I like the idea of a Christian Linux ("for the Lord") and though i know Ubuntu and Knoppix have such versions, i would like to see this one take off. I am into tract ministry and having an OS that one could frelly distribute sounds good.

I run the last freeware version of Quick Verse on Windows (http://www.genesis.net.au/), as well as E-sword. I also like Bible verse, a freeware app that flashes a verse from the Bible on the desktop wallpaper every 5+ seconds as you choose: http://vrsoft.org.ru/english/verse.shtml Would that run on Linux?

And a little off topic, does Puppy have the same degree of unasked for extreme security (you have no permission...) Ubuntu does? Thanks and bless the Lord.

jonyo

Re: Newbie New comer

#158 Post by jonyo »

PeacebyJesus wrote:And a little off topic, does Puppy have the same degree of unasked for extreme security (you have no permission...) Ubuntu does?
Most run pup in root with no restrictions & thus far..no big deal. I think (not sure) user accounts have been introduced in recent vers, but certainly there is now options to encrypt stuff.

PrairieDog

Re: Newbie New comer

#159 Post by PrairieDog »

Hi and Welcome!

I just ran Bible Verse on Puppy Linux with Wine and it does work (sort of)
PeacebyJesus wrote: I also like Bible verse, a freeware app that flashes a verse from the Bible on the desktop wallpaper every 5+ seconds as you choose: http://vrsoft.org.ru/english/verse.shtml Would that run on Linux?
It doesn't run at startup, and the Transparent, Color, Timer and Set Wallpaper options don't work and it does stay on top of all other windows. It's kinda cool even so!
I know someone could come up with a Linux equivalent that would behave properly. Volunteers??

Walk by Faith,

Mark

(it's the little gray rectangle in the upper right)

KF6SNJ

#160 Post by KF6SNJ »

That's really cool prairiedog. Your desktop looks great by the way. I am planning to switch backgrounds before long and do another screeshop. This time I am going to simply show a background image that was sent to me by a retired pastor friend who knows how I like to change my background from time to time.

Pax.

7:34pm PDT:

Here is the screen shot I've promised.

The flower was one that my wife picked from a rose bush growing next to our trailer. Personally, I would be more than willing to let this picture be adapted into a background for churchpup. Paul (the retired pastor who sent this photo, assures me that I can use this picture as I see fit.
Last edited by KF6SNJ on Sat 08 Sep 2007, 15:26, edited 2 times in total.
The only windows I have are those on my home.