Slacko64-6.3.0

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Blackfish

#141 Post by Blackfish »

Now even the 32-bit is jacked. Lol! It worked great when tested on USB flash drive, but when I opted to install it to my hard drive and opened Geany and installed all the goodies to get back to work--and now half the goodies don't work. Spellcheck--the most important goodie of them all--didn't even show up for the party!

Ugh! Back to the drawing board!
Dell Latitude E5500 w/ Intel Centrino processor-- running bionicpup64-8.0

Blackfish

#142 Post by Blackfish »

Is there a particular type of file system for the partition these new Slackos run best on?

bigpup

#143 Post by bigpup »

Frugal install on any file system. I would stick to NTFS or Linux ext 3 or 4.

Full install to Linux ext 3 or 4.

Do a check of the file system on the partition before you do the install.
If it is a NTFS format check it with Windows chkdsk.
Gparted can do a check of a Linux format.

I have seen install problems caused by old files that did not get properly deleted.
A new partition and format is suppose to give you a clean fresh start.
However, it really only deletes and remakes the file location tables so no file location information is listed anymore.
The only way to start completely fresh, is to write all ones or zeros, to a partitioned area of a storage device.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Blackfish

#144 Post by Blackfish »

bigpup wrote:Frugal install on any file system. I would stick to NTFS or Linux ext 3 or 4.

I have seen install problems caused by old files that did not get properly deleted.
However, it really only deletes and remakes the file location tables so no file location information is listed anymore.
The only way to start completely fresh, is to write all ones or zeros, to a partitioned area of a storage device.
I did a frugal install/ext3. The hard drive was wiped out and newly partitioned. I think I will uninstall all of Geany and start over and see what happens.

Blackfish

#145 Post by Blackfish »

Blackfish wrote:
bigpup wrote:Frugal install on any file system. I would stick to NTFS or Linux ext 3 or 4.

I did a frugal install/ext3. The hard drive was wiped out and newly partitioned. I think I will uninstall all of Geany and start over and see what happens.
Did not work. But I fixed it just the same. I deleted the partition, made it an ext4, and installed Tahr Pup 6.0.2 CE PAE. Everything is perfect again.

I don't call this mighty operating system "Trusty" for nothing.

gerry

#146 Post by gerry »

IBM Thinkpad/ Lenovo T60p.

Tried to boot CD, and things seemed to be going ok, until a few lines after "loading kernel modules" when the screen went black and nothing else happened.

This laptop has ATI graphics- is that a problem? I would have thought it would fall back to VESA, but it didn't.

EDIT: Looks as though this machine cannot handle 64 bits, even though the cpu is Intel T7600, which can.

Slacko 6.3 32 bit works perfectly (so far). I let it use the Slacko 5.7 save file, and everything transferred ok.
80, and still learning - Gerry

bigpup

#147 Post by bigpup »

gerry,

There are things to try if you get a black screen at boot.
See the release notes:
http://slacko.eezy.xyz/notes.html
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

gerry

#148 Post by gerry »

Thanks Bigpup. Should have read that first... I've only 2GB ram, whereas 4 are recommended. I'll put 64 bit on the back burner for a while- 32 bit seems plenty fast, and works fine, apart from printing (as usual).
80, and still learning - Gerry

gcmartin

#149 Post by gcmartin »

Hi @Gerry

I dont know the exact nature of your problem, but, I have an AMD laptop that only has 2GB of RAM. It booted this distro without issue.

I am not sure it will help you, but, in this thread's opening post, there is mention of fw_drv parm to be useful at boot-time. Also, you can try to boot with pfix=nox to see if the boot will get you the Linux prompt, prior to X desktop launch. At the prompt, it message should instruct how to start the PC's X desktop with your window-manager.

A loglevel parm may be useful to see the boot-time messages as boot progresses.

Hope this is helpful

Blackfish

#150 Post by Blackfish »

I just may have solved my networking problem with Slacko, and quite possibly most future Linux distros I might try...

I discovered it's all got to do with this Broadcom wireless card that comes in the Dell machines. With every new Linux distro I try, and I try a lot of them, there is always this hangup with the Broadcom wireless card casting a shadow of doom and gloom over my experience. And with every distro I try, there is another line of code, if I can find that line of code at all, that is to say, to run in order to bypass the hangup, to un-blacklist the card and get it going.

Enough of this gibberish.

I bought an Intel wireless card and I am waiting for it to arrive. That just might take care of most of my problems with this old machine that I love dearly.

Stay tuned...

jamesbond

#151 Post by jamesbond »

Blackfish wrote:I just may have solved my networking problem with Slacko, and quite possibly most future Linux distros I might try...

I discovered it's all got to do with this Broadcom wireless card that comes in the Dell machines. With every new Linux distro I try, and I try a lot of them, there is always this hangup with the Broadcom wireless card casting a shadow of doom and gloom over my experience. And with every distro I try, there is another line of code, if I can find that line of code at all, that is to say, to run in order to bypass the hangup, to un-blacklist the card and get it going.

I bought an Intel wireless card and I am waiting for it to arrive. That just might take care of most of my problems with this old machine that I love dearly.

Stay tuned...
I said and did the exact same thing here: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 195#875195. You are in good company.
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

sheldonisaac

#152 Post by sheldonisaac »

Blackfish (in part) wrote:I just may have solved my networking problem with Slacko, and quite possibly most future Linux distros I might try...

Stay tuned...
In this Dell, an E6410, I had a problem with LibrePup and Broadcom; see http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 831#869831

I'll try to check two other Dells.
Dell E6410: BusterPup, BionicPup64, Xenial, etc
Intel DQ35JOE, Dell Vostro 430
Dell Inspiron, Acer Aspire One, EeePC 1018P

Blackfish

#153 Post by Blackfish »

Blackfish wrote:I just may have solved my networking problem with Slacko, and quite possibly most future Linux distros I might try...

Stay tuned...
My Intel wireless card arrived today and is now installed. I know it works because I am writing this from the beautiful Ubuntu GNOME Trusty Tahr LTS. Where there was no way to network before--this thing is flying like an eagle! I could not be happier! It soars with my Tahr Pup, too.

Now, I booted from my new Slacko64 flash drive and it is precisely the same as before. No way to network. In other words, the new Intel card does not seem to be working with the new Slacko64.

Is there something I need to do here I am not aware of? Is there a line of code that can unlock this beast?

ETP

slacko64-6.3.0

#154 Post by ETP »

Hi Blackfish,

Probably missing firmware. Issue this command:

Code: Select all

dmesg | grep 'firmware'
Then see this thread for instructions:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=97276
Regards ETP
[url=http://tinyurl.com/pxzq8o9][img]https://s17.postimg.cc/tl19y14y7/You_Tube_signature80px.png[/img][/url]
[url=http://tinyurl.com/kennels2/]Kennels[/url]

Blackfish

Re: slacko64-6.3.0

#155 Post by Blackfish »

ETP wrote:Hi Blackfish,

dmesg | grep 'firmware'
Nice thought... but won't that be hard to do, knowing one cannot network in order to go get the firmware in the first place?

drunkjedi

#156 Post by drunkjedi »

Blackfish wrote:

dmesg | grep 'firmware'
Nice thought... but won't that be hard to do, knowing one cannot network in order to go get the firmware in the first place?
Lol.

If he can read and post on this thread, he can also read at that thread too.

Just take a smartphone or tab or another PC to download what ever is missing and put it in puppy.

If everything is included in puppy from start, size will expand.

Blackfish

#157 Post by Blackfish »

drunkjedi wrote:
Blackfish wrote:

dmesg | grep 'firmware'
Lol.

If he can read and post on this thread, he can also read at that thread too.

Just take a smartphone or tab or another PC to download what ever is missing and put it in puppy.

If everything is included in puppy from start, size will expand.
So... you're suggesting the makers of this new SLACKO64 deliberately left the networking tools out of the distro so that it would not "expand"?

I doubt it.

All the other Puppies and Quirkies got the goods and they didn't "expand".

I think I'll pass on all of the above. Sounds like a nightmare about to "expand". I'll go back to waiting for the makers of this fine distro to "expand" it a little, kill some bugs, and see how things work out. Back to work. Tons of writing to do. I have to "expand" my word count drastically tonight.

Meantime I've got my trusty Tahr Pup up and running on my hard drive. I visit the repository often and "expand" this exciting, lovely distro every chance I get.

See ya later!

drunkjedi

#158 Post by drunkjedi »

Sorry mate if my reply has offended you.
But that's what I thought was a cause for not including.

gyro

keyboard no module problem

#159 Post by gyro »

Hi 01micko,

Unfortunately I have the same keyboard problem with slack64-6.3.0 as I had with early Tahrpup, i.e. keyboard does not work during 'init' because it needs a kernel module, (catch 22).

But it's no bigee, I'm currently using a patched 'init' as per http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=101933

Note: Module is 'hid-logitech-dj.ko'

gyro

Blackfish

#160 Post by Blackfish »

drunkjedi wrote:Sorry mate if my reply has offended you.
But that's what I thought was a cause for not including.
No offense taken and none given. I was just in the moment. Thought I'd add a little humor to my SLACKO64 let-down. Keeps me from crying about it. :cry: