Puppy as wireless NAS

Using applications, configuring, problems
greengeek

#14 Post by greengeek »

Thanks all for the help - I have now been able to modify PupServer 435 to overcome a couple of problems I was having, and have added the ThinSlacko files into the PupServer iso so that it will now offer ThinSlacko via PXE to any device on the network that wants it. This is my first attempt at remastering so I'm keen to hear from others if it works for them:

Download links:

http://www.filefactory.com/file/3o8zxh5 ... ckoPXE_iso

http://www.filefactory.com/file/2kpxx0w ... PXEmd5_txt

(Just be patient and keep scrolling down to the free download buttons, enter the captcha thingy, scroll down again, wait 20 seconds etc - I haven't paid for the premium account so it's not quick...)

The download is 180MB. Heavy, but only because the ThinSlacko files are wrapped inside the Pupserver files. And you only download once - after it's burned to CD the size becomes unimportant. I just wanted the convenience of having an inbuilt bootable PXE OS - rather than having to make people do the conversion and setup separately.

The way I am using it is to use a 10 year old laptop as a NAS - by plugging in a usb stick containing all my files, booting it from CD, starting the Netboot server (in Network menu) and away it goes.

Any PC can access the server folders / files, and if the client PC has "boot from network" set, it will be fed ThinSlacko from the server. Why ThinSlacko? Smallish size, newish kernel, nice clean look, and it works with my hardware.

greengeek

#15 Post by greengeek »

I have uploaded a newer version which includes automount of all drives as well as autostart of the PXE server, so just boot from CD and the server PC will automatically be ready to provide the ThinSlacko files to any PC that wants it:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/5ug6zx0vx ... Slacko.iso
md5 = ecc08000ea09e44c7014e013ba74e97a
(probably an easier site to download from than the filefactory link above)

This assumes that your PCs are connected to a router that issues IP addresses automatically (this is the most common arrangement), but if you dont have such a setup, you can just use a crossover cable to link two PCs together. Just set the server PC to a static IP of something basic like 192.168.1.2 and mask of 255.255.255.0 (ie: after it boots from the PXE CD just run the network connection wizard and set the values you want)
Initially there is no need to worry about the IP address of the receiving PC - it will get it automatically from the PXE server. Then after the receiving PC has booted into ThinSlacko you can disconnect from the PXE server PC and just run the network connection wizard to set up dialup, wireless, PPPoE or wired connection as required.

The full autostart behaviour means you can set a PC to autoboot as soon as the power comes on and it will automatically set itself up to supply ThinSlacko to all other PCs across the network (if needed) and also supply access to all music/photo/archive files etc etc.

Even if you don't need the full server capabilities the PXE function is still a great way to test puppy on any PC that can boot from network. Really handy if you have a PC with no HDD or CD!

(Thanks again to jrb for his fantastic work setting up PupServer 435 which I was able to use as my base)

greengeek

#16 Post by greengeek »

At some point I need to re-visit this project and make a newer better version.
In terms of improving security i am currently thinking that there may be some value in using NTFS formatting for the storage drive as that would allow me to set the Puppy software to open the files as read only - by using rcrsn51's ntfs3g mod as described here
rcrsn51 wrote:The concern above seemed to be that even if you hid the drive icons, people could still manually mount and damage Windows. This fix is just another line of defense. It is only for NTFS. It doesn't permanently change the drive.
1. Go to the folder /bin
2. Locate the file ntfs-3g and rename it as ntfs-3g-full
3. In the same folder, create a script named ntfs-3g

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
ntfs-3g-full -o ro "$@"
I wonder if forcing the Puppy software to open the files 'readonly' will improve the overall security of the files? Or will other machines simply be able to access the files in r/w mode as before?

rcrsn51

#17 Post by rcrsn51 »

Are you talking about the files on the Samba server? The proper way to protect them is to declare the share as "read only = yes" in its definition.

greengeek

#18 Post by greengeek »

Thanks for the advice. That sounds like a good enough protection for me.
cheers