CUPS printing - installation script - update 13SEP06

News, happenings
sheine

#121 Post by sheine »

Sorry to be back. My printers are installed. /etc/rc.d/rc.cups status responds with running. But, it does not print. I have not changed anything since it was working.

pakt

#122 Post by pakt »

sheine wrote:Sorry to be back. My printers are installed. /etc/rc.d/rc.cups status responds with running. But, it does not print. I have not changed anything since it was working.
sheine, what happens if you click on 'Stop Printer' and then 'Start Printer' for your printer in the CUPS web interface and then try to print a test page?

can8v

CUPS no longer working? (*Solved*)

#123 Post by can8v »

:oops: I solved this myself :oops: I would tell you all what it was, but I am too embarrassed.
Last edited by can8v on Tue 29 Aug 2006, 00:25, edited 1 time in total.

sheine

#124 Post by sheine »

pakt wrote:
sheine wrote:Sorry to be back. My printers are installed. /etc/rc.d/rc.cups status responds with running. But, it does not print. I have not changed anything since it was working.
sheine, what happens if you click on 'Stop Printer' and then 'Start Printer' for your printer in the CUPS web interface and then try to print a test page?
I went to localhost and the printer was stopped. When I restarted it, the printer worked. But, it is impractical to go to the cups site in every session that you want to print. How do I keep it working?

pakt

#125 Post by pakt »

sheine wrote: I went to localhost and the printer was stopped. When I restarted it, the printer worked. But, it is impractical to go to the cups site in every session that you want to print. How do I keep it working?
Are you following the earlier tip on turning-on your printer before your PC?
This is important if you have a USB printer.

Otherwise there is a add-on CUPS script that I have been looking at to include in the CUPS installation script that will prevent the CUPS printer queue from stopping at every error.

You might try installing it and report back if it works for you. The link is: http://www.linuxprinting.org/beh.html

Béèm

#126 Post by Béèm »

I am having problems to get the install starting.

Saying to myself there was a temporary problem with the cz website I retried the cups-install again, but to no avail.

sh-3.1# sh cups-install.sh
--23:05:39-- ftp://ftp.linux.cz/pub/linux/slackware/ ... ackware/a/ cups-1.1.23-i486-1.tgz
=> `cups-1.1.23-i486-1.tgz'
Resolving ftp.linux.cz... done.
Connecting to ftp.linux.cz[147.251.48.205]:21... connected.
Logging in as anonymous ... Logged in!
==> SYST ... done. ==> PWD ... done.
==> TYPE I ... done. ==> CWD /pub/linux/slackware/slackware-10.2/slackware/a .. . done.
==> PORT ... done. ==> RETR cups-1.1.23-i486-1.tgz ...
Error in server response, closing control connection.
Retrying.

--23:08:59-- ftp://ftp.linux.cz/pub/linux/slackware/ ... i486-1.tgz
(try: 2) => `cups-1.1.23-i486-1.tgz'
==> TYPE I ... done. ==> CWD /pub/linux/slackware/slackware-10.2/slackware/a ... done.

Error in server response, closing control connection.
Retrying.

--23:12:18-- ftp://ftp.linux.cz/pub/linux/slackware/ ... i486-1.tgz
(try: 3) => `cups-1.1.23-i486-1.tgz'
==> TYPE I ... done. ==> CWD /pub/linux/slackware/slackware-10.2/slackware/a ... done.
So I tried gftp to get the file and within a couple of seconds I had te file cups-1.1.23-i486-1.tgz , but what do I have to do with it.
As I am outside the cups-install script now, I am at a loss.

Can I unpack it starting from / ?
What is the next step then?
Puppy Linux 2.02 SMkey, KDE354mini, wine0.9.20, devx-qt-renamed.
Puppy Linux 2.10r1 SMkey, JWM, devx_qt_renamed_210, KDE355mini

Béèm

#127 Post by Béèm »

Don't think I'm insane, talking to myself. :wink:
[quote="B

Béèm

#128 Post by Béèm »

So now my pronter, Epson Stylus PHOTO RX600, seems to work, does anybody know of a monitor program, so I can see the remaining ink level etc..

sheine

#129 Post by sheine »

pakt wrote:
sheine wrote: I went to localhost and the printer was stopped. When I restarted it, the printer worked. But, it is impractical to go to the cups site in every session that you want to print. How do I keep it working?
Are you following the earlier tip on turning-on your printer before your PC?
This is important if you have a USB printer.

Otherwise there is a add-on CUPS script that I have been looking at to include in the CUPS installation script that will prevent the CUPS printer queue from stopping at every error.

You might try installing it and report back if it works for you. The link is: http://www.linuxprinting.org/beh.html
I downloaded beh and put it in /usr/lib/cups/backend. The next step is to install it. They give two ways neither of which worked. /etc/init.d/cups restart, response "No such file ..". killall -HUP cupsd, response "no process killed". The next stap, verification, is lpinfo -v, response "Unable to connect to server. Connection refused". I also looked at several files in /usr/lib/cups/backend and they have no operative lines.

gamfa

#130 Post by gamfa »

So now my pronter, Epson Stylus PHOTO RX600, seems to work, does anybody know of a monitor program, so I can see the remaining ink level etc..
You might try these...

http://www.avasys.jp/english/linux_e/index.html

http://xwtools.automatix.de/
"Don't tell my cattle that I have leather seats in my truck"

"I don't let my schooling get in the way of my education"...Mark Twain

pakt

#131 Post by pakt »

[quote="B

pakt

#132 Post by pakt »

sheine wrote: I downloaded beh and put it in /usr/lib/cups/backend. The next step is to install it. They give two ways neither of which worked. /etc/init.d/cups restart, response "No such file ..". killall -HUP cupsd, response "no process killed". The next stap, verification, is lpinfo -v, response "Unable to connect to server. Connection refused". I also looked at several files in /usr/lib/cups/backend and they have no operative lines.
After I posted my reply I also tried installing 'beh'. I did get it to work...somewhat. Instead of printing out a test page, I got 8 blank pages instead :!: I tried several different parameters as suggested by the web page, but the results came out the same.

Needless to say, I dumped 'beh' and restored my previous - working - configuration.

Béèm

#133 Post by Béèm »

[quote="pakt"][quote="B

peppyy

#134 Post by peppyy »

I would love to see a cups dotpup. I am guessing that the dotpup pros could put one together pretty quick. I always seem to miss something when I try. I have a couple more machines and versions to test this on before I feel comfortable doing installs at clients homes.

I will also dig out some other printers to test as soon as I can but it has worked very well for me so far. I did not follow thw advice about plugging in the usb printer first and set it up manually but it works whenever I plug it in and print. It is kind of a community printer with a long usb cable so everyone shares. I am planning on looking into a print server soon too.

Thanks again for all your hard work on this.
Puppy Linux...
It just works!

pakt

#135 Post by pakt »

peppyy wrote:I would love to see a cups dotpup. I am guessing that the dotpup pros could put one together pretty quick.
I haven't tried making a dotpup yet, so I may be stretching my neck out here.

Also, I'm having trouble deciding whether I should include the CUPS files (~10MB) in the package or download the files during installation. Having them in the package would avoid the problems some people have had with downloading.
peppyy wrote:I am planning on looking into a print server soon too.
peppyy, what kind of print server are you considering - a printer connected to a windows PC, linux PC or a separate print server? I'm using the print server built into my D-Link wireless gateway. Works great with Puppy. 8)

If you are going to use a windows PC as a printer server, I have given that a try and not succeeded. There doesn't seem to be a straightforward way of getting that to work.

edoc

#136 Post by edoc »

pakt wrote:
peppyy wrote: peppyy, what kind of print server are you considering - a printer connected to a windows PC, linux PC or a separate print server? I'm using the print server built into my D-Link wireless gateway. Works great with Puppy. 8)
Please share the specific model D-Link Wireless Gateway, and if you know if they've messed
with the chipset since you bought yours (a favorite undocumented practice in the industry).

I would like the most simple pc-independent methodology to network a Samsung laser printer and a HP officejet for use among several Puppy pc's and one Win98 pc.

Thanks! doc
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603

pakt

#137 Post by pakt »

edoc wrote: Please share the specific model D-Link Wireless Gateway, and if you know if they've messed with the chipset since you bought yours (a favorite undocumented practice in the industry).

I would like the most simple pc-independent methodology to network a Samsung laser printer and a HP officejet for use among several Puppy pc's and one Win98 pc.
doc, I have a D-Link DI-713P Wireless Gateway. This has a parallel port connector to which I have connected my Brother HL-1030 (a 'winprinter') laser printer.

I downloaded the Brother-HL-1030-hl1250.ppd from http://www.linuxprinting.org/ and installed it using CUPS.

The 'Device URI' I use in the CUPS configuration is: lpd://192.168.0.1/lp

The wireless gateway is several years old and not sold any longer, but it might be available on eBay.

If you have a USB printer, I have seen a couple of newer wireless gateways that have USB ports on them but I don't recall the make or model. They *should* work in a similar fashion to mine. Perhaps someone on the forum has such a unit?

Hope this helps,
Paul

peppyy

#138 Post by peppyy »

I am hoping this one I just ordered will do the trick for me. It is a U.S. Robotics USR5461 Wireless MAXg Router with USB Print Server - 802.11g and 4 Port Switch. 46 bucks at pcdirect with the pricewatch promo and free ship.

http://www.pcdirect.com/product.asp?Sku=NUSR%2DUSR5461

I have a couple issues with my current no-brand 11b router since I got a new 24meg dsl modem (Free upgrade from my isp for being a loyal tester). I also wanted to learn the ropes and plug in my canon i560 so we aren't swapping usb cables between 3 or 4 computers all the time. If it works out for me I have a couple clients who are really wanting to do the same.
Puppy Linux...
It just works!

pakt

#139 Post by pakt »

peppyy wrote:I am hoping this one I just ordered will do the trick for me. It is a U.S. Robotics USR5461 Wireless MAXg Router with USB Print Server - 802.11g and 4 Port Switch.
Very interesting, peppyy. Please let us know how it works out. I'll be happy to help if you have any questions.

edoc

#140 Post by edoc »

peppyy wrote:I am hoping this one I just ordered will do the trick for me. It is a U.S. Robotics USR5461 Wireless MAXg Router with USB Print Server - 802.11g and 4 Port Switch. 46 bucks at pcdirect with the pricewatch promo and free ship.

http://www.pcdirect.com/product.asp?Sku=NUSR%2DUSR5461

I have a couple issues with my current no-brand 11b router since I got a new 24meg dsl modem (Free upgrade from my isp for being a loyal tester). I also wanted to learn the ropes and plug in my canon i560 so we aren't swapping usb cables between 3 or 4 computers all the time. If it works out for me I have a couple clients who are really wanting to do the same.
I discovered that the Netgear WGPS606 has two USB printer ports and is Linux friendly
http://www.cups.org/articles.php?L317

Evertek http://www.evertek.com/ has them for $34. but they are a full retail plus shipping
company and need some sort of resale document.

Anyone tried the Netgear WGPS606 or done business with Evertek?

doc
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603