Lucid Puppy 5.1.1 Release - This is the official release

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
dejan555

#121 Post by dejan555 »

Here's dillo 2.2 compiled on 510 I suggest using in futher releases as "Generic browser"
I know netsurf has nicer interface but it renders images bad and stretches pages while it loads them so it feels like a real lag - dillo is fast and convinient.
Also wasn't sure where to post the package :P

dillo+fltk-lupu.pet 941 KB
puppy.b0x.me stuff mirrored [url=https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_Mb589v0iCXNnhSZWRwd3R2UWs]HERE[/url] or [url=http://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_puppy.b0x.me_mirror]HERE[/url]

playdayz

#122 Post by playdayz »

Thanks dejan555. Netsurf is not going to work for us. In the development releases for 5.11 we are trying PuppyBrowser, but unfortunately it seems like it will not download correctly from LupuNews. We have also tried HelpSurfer in house and that works for the Welcome1stboot but for nothing else.

What we need: A small fast browser that
1) Will run Puppy Help--that means the drop down menus.
2) will run Cups--again drop down menus
3) will run LupuNews--that means will download correctly.

I tested Dillo the other day and I don't think it will do these things either. I was surprised and disappointed that PuppyBrowser didn't work for #3. Perhaps someone knows something I am doing wrong and PuppyBrowser will in fact download.

Lobster should know for sure I think. Suggestions are Welcome!
Last edited by playdayz on Tue 24 Aug 2010, 18:24, edited 2 times in total.

playdayz

#123 Post by playdayz »

Are there any specific goals for 5.1.1 or is it just a bugfix and upgrade from 5.1?

Playdayz - you mentioned near the start that 5.1.1 is built differently from 5.1.
ICPUG, 5.1.1 contains all of the bug fixes we have found to this point--all those in the Instant Update 003 plus a few more so far.

We have now realized that Netsurf is not adequate--it does not run cups correctly nor does it run Puppy Help correctly--both issues have to do with drop down menus. I have tried to interest the Netsurf developers in working with us, but to no avail. There is more explanation in the message right above this one.

5.11 is built with a later Woof than the one used to build 5.10. The advantage there is that later fixes and enhancements that Barry has incorporated into Woof will transfer to Lucid Puppy--Barry discusses those on his blog. Additionally using the latest Woof means that people will be able to build 5.11 with Woof at Home as soon as it (Woof with 5.11) is released and get an identical 5.11 to the one available for download. There is a risk associated with using the latest Woof which entails more testing, because something that Barry implements will receive more testing in Quirky and Wary and might accidentally have an incompatibility with the Ubuntu binaries that we use. That is the reason for several developmental releases of luci to test for the 5.11 release. Thanks.

jemimah

#124 Post by jemimah »

playdayz wrote:Thanks dejan555. Netsurf is not going to work for us. In the development releases for 5.11 we are trying PuppyBrowser, but unfortunately it seems like it will not download correctly from LupuNews. We have also tried HelpSurfer in house and that works for the Welcome1stboot but for nothing else.

I tested Dillo the other day and I don't think it will do these things either. I was surprised and disappointed that PuppyBrowser didn't work for #3. Perhaps someone knows something I am doing wrong and PuppyBrowser will in fact download.

Lobster should know for sure I think. Suggestions are Welcome!
Technosaurus' 5MB Midori build is probably the best option. It might even be stable enough for serious use by now; maybe he could be convinced to rebuild with the latest source. I don't know if CUPS crashes it or not though - not sure if that's a Webkit problem or a Chrome problem. Downgrading to CUPS 1.3 might be an option if it does.

James C

#125 Post by James C »

playdayz wrote: Can anyone confirm for me that PuppyBrowser will not download from LupuNews, please.
Confirmed from here.

Stripe

#126 Post by Stripe »

Hi Playdayz

Puppybrowser will download using pwget but you would need to enter the full URL for the file, not just click and go.

Hope this helps
Stripe

Midori is quite a good browser and if you could find a stripped one to test?, but at 11Mb the seamonkey that Bigpup suggested seems about the lightest.

Nearly forgot about Barrys stripped down 1.1.18 Q-pet, 10.5mb seamonkey and with browserpup being installed all the dependancies are there. have tested it with cups and the helpfile but never loaded quickpet with it but it will work.

Will keep looking and testing them out
Stripe

01micko posted the link on page 3 of this thread.

playdayz

#127 Post by playdayz »

Jemimah, The first tests are positive. 1, 2, 3. And that is with the 2.5MB version. Thanks for the suggestion and thanks for checking on the forum. In one scenario we would just use it for those three items so we could test it pretty thoroughly. It is just what we need. Your info brightened up my whole day. I will check with technosaurus to see what he thinks.

Here it is for testing -> http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 88&t=51971

James C

#128 Post by James C »

New network tray icons are beginning to grow on me...
Attachments
network tray icons.png
(5.09 KiB) Downloaded 1111 times

Jades

#129 Post by Jades »

Just a thought, but might the problems with NetSurf be due to it not having JavaScript support? This is clearly mentioned in the documentation section of the NetSurf website, direct URL to the relevant info is http://www.netsurf-browser.org/document ... JavaScript for those who are interested in the reasoning.

I love NetSurf, and have been using it as my main browser on RISC OS for over five years, but in all honesty until it does have JavaScript it probably isn't the best choice for default browser on Puppy. I hope it'll still be available for download as a package though - but there should be mention of the current limitations for those who may not be aware of them.

With regard to problems contacting the NetSurf team, bear in mind that it's a very small group and they're all working on it part-time. Often, there's only one person maintaining a particular port - for several months there wasn't a developer for the RISC OS version and that's the platform the browser started on. Might be worth trying the mailing list as well.

HTH!

bigpup

#130 Post by bigpup »

playdayz wrote:
Jemimah, The first tests are positive. 1, 2, 3. And that is with the 2.5MB version. Thanks for the suggestion and thanks for checking on the forum. In one scenario we would just use it for those three items so we could test it pretty thoroughly. It is just what we need. Your info brightened up my whole day. I will check with technosaurus to see what he thinks.

Here it is for testing -> http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 88&t=51971
What about this one?
http://sourceforge.jp/frs/index.php?gro ... se_id=2211

Stripe

#131 Post by Stripe »

Hi Playdayz

Downloaded and instaled midori (2.5Mb)

Will run cups menus fine, but wont activate printer maintainance menus (print test page etc) but firefox will

Does not show the puppy news page correctly and gives an error message when you click on a download link, but it can use the download links in 01micko's toolbox????????? (after password is given)(different HTML coding??)

Must have a conflict with puppybrowser as that will not run after midori is installed and I cant remember the url for the help file so have not tested it yet

Hope that helps
Stripe

James C

#132 Post by James C »

Lupu News on Dillo........ but at least it'll download.Grabbed the Opera 10.61 pet as a test.

don570

mtpain 3.34.55

#133 Post by don570 »

I compiled mtPaint 3.34.55 on Lighthouse 4.4.3
using configuration

Code: Select all

./configure --bindir=/usr/bin release GIF gif jpeg tiff gtk2 staticft intl

I made a pet package that should run on most Puppies.
Tested on luci218.
New feature -opens SVG format.

DOWNLOAD HERE

scsijon

218 report box 1 and 2

#134 Post by scsijon »

box 1 ("our favorite")

started from cd

usual video problems I have, left at 1600x1200@85hz, will adjust later.

noted: white line halfway up the cpu useage graph. ?

frugal save to /sda3 ok except for:

on exit to save file creation when it drops out of X I managed to capture screen size change, is now 1800x1440@80hz, should have dropped to 640x480 or 800x600 I would have thought.

It also timed out and rebooted at this point before I could set the savefile. --if you set timeout it needs to be longer, as a slow reader I wouldn't have had time to read the instructions, dithered a bit and made my decision!

rebooted ok and restarted in 218 ok

just did a shutdown to see if it would create a savefile, it went through the routine ok

rebooted ok and restarted in 218 ok

now set video with xorg video wizard and choose option. Do like the picklist,
but see comment in "box2",
also did wonder if my problems may relate to using intel, not i915 driver which doesn't seem to exist in the set?

installed a few pets, patches relating to 218 from this topic and xorg-high from a mem stick

video now ok on xserver reboot, no reset to max screen matrix, left as was set, GOOD

?is the firewall script being run as part of the install routine pd/mick, should be! as net is enabled at this point, if no firewall......

qpet ok

-browsers
-puppy browser - slow to load pages folks, including this one, left it at that for this point

-ff - almost instant as expected and as usual

both, still that vertical stretch, but didn't seem as bad as 217 and now only with oversize browser not when undersize of screen, but may be my perception

end box1 tests
--------------------------------
OT querry, how large can a save file be? max in save list is 1.25gig
-------------------------------

box2: has dialup via internal modem, dual dvd drives and radeon video card.

from cd start

booted into 60hz, didn't have a readable matrix but was about 1024x768

first problem with a frugal install was it wanted to use the second dvd (I had left a save dvd in it) not the first one that it had booted on. it aborted install.

when sorted out manually :) , install went ok second time.

rebooted ok started 218

noted that pre-xorg was running 700x400@60hz, interesting as not a listed matrix for the card!

started xorg video wizard
used probe, it set it as radeon not intel but was not happy with its available settings.
restarted xorg video wizard
went to choose and looked for radeon **not there** aborted
restared and used probe to get radeon, then set refresh rate, then matrix, ok now (comment: Will I ever have a good video, doubt it as I do have strange boxes, i'm not worrying as it is testing these things properly!)

modem next:

set firewall ok

started the internet connection wizard and via dialup modem.

- It didn't find it and message was "A modem was not automatically detected, so you need to click the probe button"

--BUT there is no probe button on this screen. It should be: A modem was not automatically detected, so you need to click the Test/Select button then the probe button"

still didn't detect a modem, but I know it works as 431 uses it -mick??
left modem here for now

loaded a number of pets, patches and ran ok.

left it here until modem works and I get online can't proceed.

------------------------

Box 3: Dell
- late today, will update tomorrow morning

box 4: ipex
-later today, will update tomorrow morning

----------------

:twisted: :twisted: devil arn't I, hopefully there are some pointers for box2 and it's modem by tomorrow.

regards
scsijon

Tasgarth

Icewm

#135 Post by Tasgarth »

About speaker icon ( ICEwm ); 218 Full Install :

If a program puts its icon in taskbar this is put on the left of the time icon and all others icons are pushed on the left, but the 'volume' not.
Attachments
speaker3.png
(16.15 KiB) Downloaded 1093 times
speaker2.png
(13.86 KiB) Downloaded 1065 times
speaker1.png
(10.99 KiB) Downloaded 1061 times

playdayz

#136 Post by playdayz »

Just a thought, but might the problems with NetSurf be due to it not having JavaScript support? This is clearly mentioned in the documentation section

I hope it'll still be available for download as a package though - but there should be mention of the current limitations for those who may not be aware of them.

With regard to problems contacting the NetSurf team, bear in mind that it's a very small group and they're all working on it part-time.
Yes. Agreed, Jades. Thanks for the points.

Midori - stripe. I was able to print a test page with cups--maybe I have it installed cleaner.

Midori - Lupu News. Yes, it can't handle Lupu News so I have simplified it--if Midori works I am happy to do that ;-)

ROTFL - Midori. To install Midori the Ubuntu way with PPM would take 74MB!!!

Bigpup - Kazahase. I was investigating it earlier today. Do you know of a good small reliable build for Lucid Puppy?

Midori - murga-linux. It was having problems with murga-linux forums--giving up too quickly. Changing Edit -> Preferences -> Network -> unchek Detect Proxy automatically seemed to help at first but not later???

I have a build of luci with Midori installed and it seems to do all three things from the list above. It is the smaller 2.5MB static build that is working. However, it ate a message I typed, the first version of this message, so I don't recommend it on the forums.

James C

#137 Post by James C »

Yet another post about the missing dependencies popup on full installs.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 121#445121

Guess it is a bit confusing if one doesn't know to ignore it. :)

rcrsn51

#138 Post by rcrsn51 »

I have never understood this obsession with finding the ideal tiny browser. Puppy has now "officially" passed the traditional 100 MB mark. Pick a full-featured browser as the default, even if it's Seamonkey. :wink:

scsijon

#139 Post by scsijon »

mick / pd ??511 devx??? pls want to do next and looks like last eudora rc and the packager needs it for some reason.

ta
scsijon

pemasu

#140 Post by pemasu »

The maturity of tiny browsers seems to be not good enough. Letting it sleep a little might fix problem by itself in the future. Recompiled Midori with newest source maybe is the exception.

But ... About kazehakase. I remember reading efforts to get it working in Puppy about 6 months ago. Here is what I found: kazehakase-054.pet 1.04 Mb http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... h&id=23312

The thread page:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 8d4f139012

Havent tested it cause I am not now in my testing luci.