Ubuntu Studio: "Puppy Edition"

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
postfs1

#121 Post by postfs1 »

To reedit up to date.
Last edited by postfs1 on Sun 27 Mar 2016, 21:55, edited 1 time in total.

PupGeek

#122 Post by PupGeek »

You know what would be a perfect add-on for this puplet? Blender. It would require the mesa/openGL package but that should always be part of a multimedia distro anyways. I have been screwing around trying to make a blender hassle free roxapp for this one but I keep running into dependency problems and errors. I have no internet connection at home so it totally makes things worse..... I will post it if I can get it to work.....

Update: I have a working hassle-free roxapp of Blender 2.49. I am just having problems uploading it right now. I made this one specially for the Ubuntu Studio Puppy Edition 3.0. It will even install the glx extensions if necessary. All with as little as a single mouse-click.

Update:I have uploaded the roxapp and am now waiting for confirmation. I will post the location when confirmation is received.

For more information about "hassle-free roxapps", you can check out the following:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=49899

BTW does this version have GLIBC 2.7 or later? If so, I would like to try to make a blender 2.5 roxapp.[/quote]
Last edited by PupGeek on Sun 05 Sep 2010, 17:47, edited 2 times in total.

l0wt3ch

#123 Post by l0wt3ch »

Thanks, PupGeek! That's awesome!

(I did find out about that for you - I was just about to write you back! But I'm glad you got it sorted out. :D)

If you need, I will upload it to the ftp server. Let me know!

PupGeek

#124 Post by PupGeek »

Confirmation has arrived. You can get the Blender 2.49-lucid roxapp at the following sites:

http://dotpups.de/puppy4/dotpups/PupGee ... eeRoxapps/

http://puppyfiles.ca/dotpupsde/puppy4/d ... eeRoxapps/

Roxapps not featuring the word "lucid" in their names are made for Puppy4.2.1 or 4.3.1 and probably will not work in LuPu.

I am now working on a Kdenlive roxapp. I got it starting and closing but I'd like to screw around with it a bit more before uploading it.

Simply download, extract the .tar.gz file to any directory of your choice then click on the icon. The app will take care of the rest. For the first run, however, be sure that you have no unsaved work in progress, as it may need to restart your X-server (part of the OpenGL install).

@l0wt3ch: If you wish to mirror it, that's ok too.

PupGeek

Re: Just for fun and then some

#125 Post by PupGeek »

grover wrote: .....
I load reaper and go to select my input tracks and it seems to think I only have a 2 channel card.
Have you tried using reaper with JACK? You may be able to make more specific adjustments in JACK's setup. I wouldn't know for sure if there are actually linux drivers available for multitrack sound devices. There is a section in these forums where you can post the hardware information and see if there are any drivers available for you to use. Also, check with your card's manufacturer and see if they have any linux drivers. It's a long shot but it doesn't hurt to try.

grover

#126 Post by grover »

I don't think jack is going to help, though I could try playing with it sometime and see. Alsa works just fine with the 1010lt, has for a long time. All other software (that I tested) works just fine. My problem is only in Reaper. It only gives the option to route through channels 1 and 2 i/o.

Is there anyone here with a mutitracking card (any multi i/o card) who's getting use of all of there channels?

PupGeek

#127 Post by PupGeek »

I am uploading roxapps for Kdenlive-lucid and Blender2.53 (for those who prefer that UI).

Update: The roxapps are now available at the links posted earlier in this thread.

Given the amount of RAM a live session uses up, I would not recommend using Kdenlive in live mode for large projects or project formats larger than CIF. I got a lot of X-runs when I tried it. Once I set my project format to CIF, it cleared right up. It will probably perform much better on a full (not frugal) HDD installation.

I uploaded Blender 2.53 because it has a completely new user interface and a few new features. Many new Blender tutorials are now for 2.5. I haven't been able to get this version to work with any external render engines though (this is not just a roxapp issue, I haven't been able to do it in any configuration.). It is also important to know that Blender 2.53 is a Beta version at the moment. Blender hasn't done a full release of 2.5 yet, as far as I know.

@grover:
If you were getting multichannel support from reaper in windoze with the ASIO settings, maybe wineasio is limited to only 2 channel support. I would suspect that if reaper is the only app that uses wineasio and is giving you this problem. You may be able to test this by going into your reaper preferences and setting it to use something other than asio, where it enables you to set the number of channels. You probably won't get the low latency of asio but if it works, you will know that its the wineasio driver.[/b]

l0wt3ch

#128 Post by l0wt3ch »

Right on PupGeek, thanks. A lot of people will appreciate a kdenlive roxapp. :D

PupGeek

#129 Post by PupGeek »

I just pm'd MU to let him know I uploaded three more apps. Avidemux-lucid, Scribus-lucid, and XaraLx-lucid. Every Studio OS needs programs to make the cover artwork :D

l0wt3ch

#130 Post by l0wt3ch »

Thanks! :-)

pms666

#131 Post by pms666 »

EDIT: DOWNLOADED!!!

This seems exactly what I am looking for but the 3.0 does not download fully, stops at 54mb for lite and (cant remember what) for the fat version.

I have tried a few times!

Thanks for this anyhow and especially line6 support. I have UX1 and I hope it works on this.

l0wt3ch

#132 Post by l0wt3ch »

I just downloaded both the full and lite versions (856 MB total) in under 16 minutes.

That's surfing the Internet and watching YouTube videos. :)

ciento

#133 Post by ciento »

I have the V3 working, it is so excellent! Thankyou for the long hours you invest! I have .deb packages for Rakarrack 5.8 and 6.0, and wonder if I
can manually install them. dpkg -i works in some distros.

Is it possible to add ubuntu PPA repos to the included package manager?
edit sources.list to add repositories? links to preferred Puppy package
installation procedures?

This is going to be a fine weekend, rain helps me escape the yardwork!
Cheers

ciento

#134 Post by ciento »

Just read the retirement page, sent a PM, A pretty well known windows dev discovered august and early september are dead zones, school prep and vacations keep people busy. October is better. A tough economy
presents unique opportunities to bring affordable alternatives to market, and new services into the ebb and flow of business. Don't let anything slow you down!

bossesand

#135 Post by bossesand »

ciento wrote:Just read the retirement page, sent a PM, A pretty well known windows dev discovered august and early september are dead zones, school prep and vacations keep people busy. October is better. A tough economy
presents unique opportunities to bring affordable alternatives to market, and new services into the ebb and flow of business. Don't let anything slow you down!
Don't get discouraged, I for example just found your puplet the last week,
I have downloaded it and will try it out.

Take a few weeks off and I hope you get back the idealistic state of mind that you need to supply us, that do not have the energy and the knowledge to compile our own distributions.

I run multi boot with several puppies, 1 puppy for each speciality.

I think I will be using this puppy to record and playback ambisonics,
a surround system including height information.

I have not checked out your distribution, but I will need a stable realtime platform to add Ambdec and other jack based programs from
http://www.kokkinizita.net/linuxaudio/

For my audio interface i will have to use a very recent svn of ffado

I will also look in to use of either:

http://non-daw.tuxfamily.org/
Debianized:
http://listengine.tuxfamily.org/lists.t ... 00003.html

or

http://eca.cx/ecasound/
or
http://sourceforge.net/projects/meterec/
http://meterec.sourceforge.net/

So PLEASE comeback after a rest and we will join in the effort to spread the word about
puppy linux for sound recording and processing.

By the way I have been using Reaper on Windows and it is definitely worth the small license cost for the non commercial license.

Best Regards
Bosse in Sweden

siabost

#136 Post by siabost »

Hi All,

Just discovered UbuntuStudio Puppy Edition 3 & it's working well re low latency and general audio operation.

I have a scrambling of lines of text on scrolling when reading stuff in the browser but that's for the main Puppy forums.

I'm mightily impressed with this audio distro but what's this talk of
the retirement page
?

Have I missed something? It all seems to work so well already.

Thanks all.

l0wt3ch

#137 Post by l0wt3ch »

I've a 2.6.33.5 realtime kernel that I mean to get working with the live cd.

"Hyper lowlatency": running Ardour with JACK at 2.9 msec without xruns is easy on my PC. I was even able to get 0.7 msecs.

For those who would like a sneak preview, I have created a PET package. It should work on all versions of USPE. *It only works for "full" installs.*

2.6.33.5rt_full_install.pet
Username: puppy
Password: linux

@siabost: Never mind that. :D

calexand

#138 Post by calexand »

So glad to hear something positive from you again. Welcome back!
CA

ciento

#139 Post by ciento »

Thanks for this new PET, I'll try and test it soon. The V3 is working nicely here, I'm cleaning out a 7200 rpm for a full install. Such a cyber hoarder,
(I might NEED jack 0.99 someday :wink: but got a stack of dvds ready to burn. Do you play guitar, by chance?
Cheers

RetroTechGuy

#140 Post by RetroTechGuy »

l0wt3ch wrote:I've a 2.6.33.5 realtime kernel that I mean to get working with the live cd.

"Hyper lowlatency": running Ardour with JACK at 2.9 msec without xruns is easy on my PC. I was even able to get 0.7 msecs.

For those who would like a sneak preview, I have created a PET package. It should work on all versions of USPE. *It only works for "full" installs.*

2.6.33.5rt_full_install.pet
Username: puppy
Password: linux

@siabost: Never mind that. :D
BTW, can you tell us what the difference is between the "lite" and regular versions? From a Puppy perspective, both versions are quite large (> 400MB), I'm wondering if there are hardware limitations or requirements that you know of, or that we should be aware of.