xorg-setup
FYI: This *does not work*.

Someone else discovered that this is the only sequence that works:

Code: Select all

puppy pfix=nox
xorg-setup.old
Choose VESA
xwin
Good news is that while Lucid 5.00 will not work on our Panasonic Toughbook CF-29 without this bootstrap it does load fine to our son's older CF-28.

That gets him WINE and means he may use some learning games and programs we have that are, sadly, yoked to a MS version of windows.
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603

reckrhodes

#1122 Post by reckrhodes »

Anyone to guide me on how to install gbrainy? i cannot get it to work using puppy package manager. hope that this will be included in the quick pet. thank you.

Billtoo

Re: Lucid Puppy 5.0 - 15 May 2010

#1123 Post by Billtoo »

Ron wrote:
Billtoo wrote:I managed to get amarok installed with the puppy package manager, it had a ton of dependencies but I got them in steps when needed.After the install there was one more lib missing (showed up when I tried to run amarok in terminal) and I got that lib at packages.ubuntu.com.
Attached is a screenshot of amarok running.
This post is a reply to a problem with dependencies problems:
tronkel wrote:
Did you remember to update the Ubuntu Lucid package listings from within Puppy Package Manager? This will ensure that necessary dependencies are made available. You even have to do this on a fresh install of real Ubuntu.

No, Jack, I didn't remember mostly because I didn't know in the first place. Razz

I updated the repositories in puppy package manager before installing amarok, takes 5 to 11 minutes depending on the pc.It installed all but 1 lib and that lib was easy to get at packages.ubuntu.com

Amarok worked fine but installing other apps can sometimes break what was working, I remastered the live cd so I now have what is installed and working well in an iso so starting over is less of a problem.The remaster iso is 500 meg!

I'm having great fun with lucid puppy, it's my new favourite distro :)

James C

#1124 Post by James C »

playdayz wrote:The review that Lobster posted the link to was generally positive. The only negative I noticed was that the reviewers computer froze twice while watching youtube videos. Would anyone want to do extended tests of the 4 browsers in Lucid Puppy to see if one or the other was more prone to crashing on youtube?
I have all four browsers, Firefox, Opera, SeaMonkey and Chromium, installed on 2 different frugal installs of Lucid Puppy.I've been testing Youtube and other streaming videos with all 4 browsers,and I've had no freezing or lockups yet.

Naturally, videos are smoother on the 2.0 ghz/1 gb ram than on the 733 mhz/256 mb ram, but there has been no crashes on either system.YMMV. :)

Been watching Youtube w/ Firefox for about an hour now straight (on the 2.0 ghz) with no problems.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#1125 Post by Lobster »

I work mostly (probably like a lot of users) in a Browser
Whilst using 4.3.1, a great version of Puppy,
I upgraded Flash in Seamonkey,
(probably to get full screen viewing of BBC Iplayer).
Seamonkey crashed - sometimes after 15 minutes of viewing
but it crashed. So did Firefox + Flash.

Flash was crashing, NOT Firefox, Not Seamonkey. Not Puppy 4.3.1
The same was happening in other Linux such as Ubuntu

With Firefox I found it could remember and return from my crash
points.
I started using Firefox during 3 months of Flash crashes

I am now using Firefox, full screen with Flash
and no crashes

So Firefox at least works the way I expect
Lucid and Puppy and Firefox to be

In fact I have been using Lucid and FireFox + Flash
for the last 2 months during the testing
and the browsing setup works

I would expect Opera and Seamonkey
to have the same level of maturity
but confirmation obviously required
from long term users

Coolpup has reminded me the latest Pets for Flash are here
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/FlashPlayer

So if Chrome, Seamonkey, Firefox or Opera are crashing in Lucid
the solution may be to upgrade Flash

Puppy Linux
Just Works
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

edoc

#1126 Post by edoc »

edoc wrote: That gets him WINE and means he may use some learning games and programs we have that are, sadly, yoked to a MS version of windows.
I found this:
http://www.winehq.org/docs/wineusr-guid ... ASIC-USAGE
4.1. Basic usage: applications and control panel applets

Assuming you are using a fake Windows installation, you install applications into Wine in the same way you would in Windows: by running the installer. You can just accept the defaults for where to install, most installers will default to "C:\Program Files", which is fine. If the application installer requests it, you may find that Wine creates icons on your desktop and in your app menu. If that happens, you can start the app by clicking on them.

The standard way to uninstall things is for the application to provide an uninstaller, usually registered with the "Add/Remove Programs" control panel applet. To access the Wine equivalent, run the uninstaller program (it is located in the programs/uninstaller/ directory in a Wine source directory) in a terminal:

$ uninstaller

Some programs install associated control panel applets, examples of this would be Internet Explorer and QuickTime. You can access the Wine control panel by running in a terminal:

$ wine control

which will open a window with the installed control panel applets in it, as in Windows.

If the application doesn't install menu or desktop items, you'll need to run the app from the command line. Remembering where you installed to, something like:

$ wine "c:\program files\appname\appname.exe"

will probably do the trick. The path isn't case sensitive, but remember to include the double quotes. Some programs don't always use obvious naming for their directories and EXE files, so you might have to look inside the program files directory to see what was put where.
Most of the children's programs I have tried to install have failed, so I will try the command line method and report back.
[b]Thanks! David[/b]

playdayz

#1127 Post by playdayz »

Lucid Puppy 5.0.1 is available in the first message of this thread. It is not identical to either of the development releases.
Last edited by playdayz on Mon 24 May 2010, 19:16, edited 1 time in total.

dejan555

#1128 Post by dejan555 »

Ahem, to avoid confusion we had with md5sums and seeded rc versions on torrents maybe name isos lupu-501-RC1.iso lupu-501-RC2.iso etc...
puppy.b0x.me stuff mirrored [url=https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_Mb589v0iCXNnhSZWRwd3R2UWs]HERE[/url] or [url=http://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_puppy.b0x.me_mirror]HERE[/url]

playdayz

#1129 Post by playdayz »

Lucid Puppy 5.0.1 is available in the first message of this thread. It is not identical to either of the development releases.
Last edited by playdayz on Mon 24 May 2010, 19:16, edited 1 time in total.

nooby

#1130 Post by nooby »

playdayz I did dl the luci-001.iso so not sure about what Dejan refers to.

the luci-001.iso works good.

apart from the youtube flash files that have been downloaded using tmp and renaming the cashe file. Have not tested anything else.
But they all did work in Quirky 1.00 so not sure why gxine in Luci fail when it does not in Q1.

Apart from that everything seems ok.
Hm I had to chose time +4 GMT or get +1GMT but that is so in Quirky to.
could be my BIOS acting up though.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

James C

#1131 Post by James C »

Did a quick test of luci-001, live pfix=ram, on 2 machines........Intel 865g and ProSavage 8 graphics respectively .......and everything during setup returned to typical Puppy mode ......no problems. Used xorgwizard to set the correct resolutions of 1440x900x24 and 1024x768x24. :)

Did a fresh frugal install to my old P3 test box with Intel 810 graphics...no problem either. Installed Firefox and Pwidgets as well. I've rebooted twice and the time and time zone have been persistent so far.

edoc

#1132 Post by edoc »

luci-001 OK on th CF-28 as far as retro to the old setup.
[b]Thanks! David[/b]

MinHundHettePerro

#1133 Post by MinHundHettePerro »

Patriots fix here corrects the problem with uncleanly unmounted ext2-formatted savefiles upon shutdown in lupu :D :D.

(Triple-checked by implementing, reverting, impl..., rev... with fsck:s inbetween (geeky, or what) :D :D )

Cheers :)/
MHHP
[color=green]Celeron 2.8 GHz, 1 GB, i82845, many ptns, modes 12, 13
Dual Xeon 3.2 GHz, 1 GB, nvidia quadro nvs 285[/color]
Slackos & 214X, ... and Q6xx
[color=darkred]Nämen, vaf....[/color] [color=green]ln -s /dev/null MHHP[/color]

Billtoo

#1134 Post by Billtoo »

[quote="playdayz"]Here is a development release of Lucid Puppy 5.0.1. Actually, it may well be the release candidate for a release tomorrow (Sunday).
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I downloaded the iso and burned the cd, booted with pfix=ram.I wasn't having a problem before with my computers and no new problems except one that must have been my fault?

I remastered the live cd and added most of the apps that I want which produced an iso of 624mb.I tried the remaster on my wired network and it connected to the network automatically so I thought I'd try it on my pc with wireless, I clicked on the connect icon and set it up for my wireless network but no luck, then I noticed the simple network setup was missing.
I got the luci-001 cd and booted that one and the simple network setup was there so I must have said "yes" when I should have said "no" during the remaster I guess, I not sure at this point :)

The simple network setup on the luci-001 cd worked with the wireless network.

Fishy

Core Problem

#1135 Post by Fishy »

I have an AMD Phenom II dual core unleashed by the motherboard to quad core status. Lucid runs perfectly (occasionally forgetting network settings) on the 4 core setup. :D

Luci for some reason caused the post message say it was 3 cores and put me in a endless loop of entering pfix=ram and getting nowhere. I had to enter setup and disable the core software to 2 cores and then enable it on reboot. Lucid is working again with four cores but am concerned that an update might bork the system.

Cheers

Asus M4A78T-E with RadeonHD 3200 on-board graphics (did install radeon graphics but system info says unknown xorg?) :?

playdayz

#1136 Post by playdayz »

Luci for some reason caused the post message say it was 3 cores and put me in a endless loop of entering pfix=ram and getting nowhere. I had to enter setup and disable the core software to 2 cores and then enable it on reboot. Lucid is working again with four cores but am concerned that an update might bork the system.
I am using the very same system I bet--B50 it identifies itself as. It's great imo. I am seeing 4 cores in htop right now. I did not do anything in making luci-000 or Lucid Puppy for that matter that would influence use of the cores. But who knows, I am using a later version of the update than luci-000 and the 4 cores are working.
Last edited by playdayz on Sun 23 May 2010, 02:44, edited 1 time in total.

playdayz

#1137 Post by playdayz »

Patriots fix here corrects the problem with uncleanly unmounted ext2-formatted savefiles upon shutdown in lupu Very Happy Very Happy.

(Triple-checked by implementing, reverting, impl..., rev... with fsck:s inbetween (geeky, or what) Very Happy Very Happy )
Not enough time to test for this 5.0.1 iso update I am afraid but people could test and it could be included in the first update through Quickpet.

playdayz

#1138 Post by playdayz »

Lucid Puppy 5.0.1 is available in the first message of this thread. It is not identical to either of the development release.
Last edited by playdayz on Mon 24 May 2010, 19:17, edited 1 time in total.

James C

#1139 Post by James C »

Fresh manual frugal install of the test file(501).......initial boot and setup was fine. Installed the usual browsers and pets without incident.All settings have survived two reboots.Everything looks good so far. :)

Jim1911

#1140 Post by Jim1911 »

playdayz wrote:I was able to upgrade a CD install, with the lupusave file at /, a frugal install, with the lupusave at /puppy500, and a full install by using the Puppy Universal Installer and choosing Upgrade. That said, I never really upgrade myself, rather using a fresh install. I do that because upgrades make me nervous ;-) However, i did my best in testing that either a new install or an upgrade would work.
My frugal installation was uneventful and so far everything appears to work on it.

There are some serious problems with frugal upgrade:
1. Minor - 5.01 still uses the lucisave file and cannot recognize the lupusave files unless they are renamed.
2. Major - The renamed save file was trashed with all kinds of errors upon bootup, probably software conflicts, regardless, an update cannot be performed. This hasn't happened with the beta and rc versions which always updated fine. I'll redownload later, try again, and report back.

Cheers,
Jim