Lucid Puppy 5.0.1 - 24 May 2010

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
playdayz

#1101 Post by playdayz »

It is nice that LP5 boots directly to the desktop for the 1/2 to 2/3rds of the users. But I am seeing that a few people (especially those who have the Intel driver problem I think) are booting directly to a black screen, with no opportunity to run xorgwizard and choose the alternate Intel driver. In the forum they get the useful advice to use pfix=nox. I don't know much about the Intel driver problem; Barry has investigated it thoroughly--does anyone have any suggestions or ideas? It would solve it to return to the traditional way of booting Puppy, and if that is overall the best, then we will change back--but it would be nice if we could find a solution that allowed us to retain booting to the desktop. Thanks.

OldHW

VersaGlide Touchpad is not Recognized

#1102 Post by OldHW »

I have an old laptop [NEC Versa Vxi, PIII 600mhz with 256 MB ram] that I'd like to load Lucid on. I've booted from a Live CD and Lucid worked beautifully - except for the touchpad. The laptop has a VersaGlide touchpad that has worked with some Puppy versions and not worked with others. Unfortunately it doesn't work with Lucid. There's no response, and apparently isn't recognized at all.

When using a wireless USB mouse, the cursor jumps around erratically and unpredictably whenever the mouse is moved. With lots of patience I can eventually open the Mouse/Keyboard Wizard and reselect USB as the mouse type. The mouse then calms down and acts normally. But opening the menu and reselecting the mouse type is like playing a video game where you have to guess where the pointer will be next. Very aggravating. And eventually the wireless USB mouse starts acting crazy again and I have to play the 'select the mouse type' game again.

Ttuuxxx's 2.14x remake is currently loaded on this old laptop and it recognized the VersaGlide touchpad immediately. I like 2.14x a lot (thanks Ttuuxxx!) but would like to try Lucid.

So my question: Is there a way to get the VersaGlide touchpad to work with Lucid? I've searched murga-linux.org and the web and haven't found an answer.

Thanks!

playdayz

#1103 Post by playdayz »

The review that Lobster posted the link to was generally positive. The only negative I noticed was that the reviewers computer froze twice while watching youtube videos. Would anyone want to do extended tests of the 4 browsers in Lucid Puppy to see if one or the other was more prone to crashing on youtube?

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi OldHW. Sometimes the incompatibility of old hardware is because of changes made by Xorg that we have almost no control over. I hope maybe someone has an idea for your hardware, but the good thing is that at least one Puppy works for you, and that Puppy is in the very good hands of ttuuxxx and company. You might also try Barry's Wary variant, which is for older hardware specifically. The Puppy Universe in the future is going to be more varied than just one flagship release--which I regard as a good thing. Thanks.

edoc

#1104 Post by edoc »

Our son tested Seamonkey and had troubles with YouTube stuttering but not crashing - he said Firefox was very stable. He did not try Opera.
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603

James C

#1105 Post by James C »

playdayz wrote:It is nice that LP5 boots directly to the desktop for the 1/2 to 2/3rds of the users. But I am seeing that a few people (especially those who have the Intel driver problem I think) are booting directly to a black screen, with no opportunity to run xorgwizard and choose the alternate Intel driver. In the forum they get the useful advice to use pfix=nox. I don't know much about the Intel driver problem; Barry has investigated it thoroughly--does anyone have any suggestions or ideas? It would solve it to return to the traditional way of booting Puppy, and if that is overall the best, then we will change back--but it would be nice if we could find a solution that allowed us to retain booting to the desktop. Thanks.
I just found this Ubuntu wiki page relating to the Intel graphics problems in Ubuntu 10.04 and Lucid Puppy.Don't know how much is applicable , but maybe someone can get some useful info from it.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Bugs/Lucidi8xxFreezes

James C

#1106 Post by James C »

playdayz wrote:The review that Lobster posted the link to was generally positive. The only negative I noticed was that the reviewers computer froze twice while watching youtube videos. Would anyone want to do extended tests of the 4 browsers in Lucid Puppy to see if one or the other was more prone to crashing on youtube?
I've watched a bunch of Youtube videos with both Firefox and Opera and have had no problems at all. I did notice a dramatic decrease in the free space in the save file on the frugal install that decreased with each video........but I'm using a 1 gb save file so no problem. :)

I'll try SeaMonkey and Chromium out on Youtube in the next day or two.

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#1107 Post by Béèm »

James C wrote:
playdayz wrote:The review that Lobster posted the link to was generally positive. The only negative I noticed was that the reviewers computer froze twice while watching youtube videos. Would anyone want to do extended tests of the 4 browsers in Lucid Puppy to see if one or the other was more prone to crashing on youtube?
I've watched a bunch of Youtube videos with both Firefox and Opera and have had no problems at all. I did notice a dramatic decrease in the free space in the save file on the frugal install that decreased with each video........but I'm using a 1 gb save file so no problem. :)

On the next boot, did you 'regain' that lost space?
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

James C

#1108 Post by James C »

Béèm wrote:
James C wrote:

On the next boot, did you 'regain' that lost space?
Some of the lost space returned immediately upon closing the browser and things appear to be back to normal when I reboot.

dejan555

#1109 Post by dejan555 »

Taking lupu for another spin.
Tried my icewm 1.3.6 compiled for dpup and turns out it works awesome, themes render nicely and works fast. Here's screenie with dark dream wallpaper my BlackPup GTK theme and customized rox toolbar icons.

I've read guys in 5.1 thread talking about kde / qt runtimes and BigMike said on IRC he got amarok running installed from ppm so I tried, got some errors though have to work on it, but still prefer older amarok though.

puppy.b0x.me stuff mirrored [url=https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_Mb589v0iCXNnhSZWRwd3R2UWs]HERE[/url] or [url=http://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_puppy.b0x.me_mirror]HERE[/url]

Ron

#1110 Post by Ron »

I'm wondering how to get the gadgets for the calendar, clock and puppy space on this desktop? They seem to have appeared with 4.2, but how does one get them for Lupu?

Image[/quote]

tubeguy

#1111 Post by tubeguy »

dejan555 wrote:Here's screenie with dark dream wallpaper my BlackPup GTK theme and customized rox toolbar icons.
Man that looks sweet. Love how the icons left and right line up.
[b]Tahr Pup 6 on desktop, Lucid 3HD on lappie[/b]

Jim1911

#1112 Post by Jim1911 »

Ron wrote:I'm wondering how to get the gadgets for the calendar, clock and puppy space on this desktop? They seem to have appeared with 4.2, but how does one get them for Lupu?
You must have posted someone else's desktop picture since it shows all of above. Just use Quickpet and install pwidgets. After installation, use Menu > Desktop > Desktop Settings > Pwidgets - tiny desktop applications.

Billtoo

Lucid Puppy 5.0 - 15 May 2010

#1113 Post by Billtoo »

I managed to get amarok installed with the puppy package manager, it had a ton of dependencies but I got them in steps when needed.After the install there was one more lib missing (showed up when I tried to run amarok in terminal) and I got that lib at packages.ubuntu.com.
Attached is a screenshot of amarok running.
Attachments
amarokscr2.jpg
(81.73 KiB) Downloaded 442 times

p349j9d02

hso kernel module

#1114 Post by p349j9d02 »

Hello!

Great work...

I wonder if somebody could help me..

Has somebody a hso kernel modul for Linux puppypc 2.6.33.2 kernel?

Tnx.

chrismt

Firefox Minefield aka 3.7 or 4.0 rocks in Puppy 5 or Lucid

#1115 Post by chrismt »

Firefox Minefield aka 3.7 or 4.0 rocks in Puppy 5 or Lucid

Please check this out

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=55798

I would advise Playdiaz to consider adding this link to the latest trunk in the Quick Pet - Additional programs

cifa

#1116 Post by cifa »

playdayz wrote:I am seeing that a few people (especially those who have the Intel driver problem I think) are booting directly to a black screen, with no opportunity to run xorgwizard and choose the alternate Intel driver.
good to see we haven't been forgotten.
this is a great release but suffers due to the Intel driver.
i did a lot of casual research on my issue - where my Intel g41 chipset will boot to max resolution (1280 x 1024) only to throw me back to 800x 600 vesa after i set the (UK) keyboard) - but i never got it working.
the ?Mesa driver on Linux Mint 9 works perfect.
Can someone perhaps make us an updated Intel/mesa pet?
I am clutching at straws here :wink:

edoc

#1117 Post by edoc »

Meanwhile ... is there something that can be added to some config file read at boot that will "stick" so that I can stop booting from CD and going through the "puppy pfix=nox" "xorg-setup.old" "xwin" process every time I turn on my laptop?
[b]Thanks! David[/b]

playdayz

#1118 Post by playdayz »

good to see we haven't been forgotten.
this is a great release but suffers due to the Intel driver.
i did a lot of casual research on my issue - where my Intel g41 chipset will boot to max resolution (1280 x 1024) only to throw me back to 800x 600 vesa after i set the (UK) keyboard) - but i never got it working.
We hope to have a usable fix by at least the 5.0.1 bugfix release. I am sorry this happened. For now you cna try this.

When Lucid Puppy starts to boot, type in

Code: Select all

puppy pfix=nox
I mistakenly said pfix=ram

and then enter. This should boot to a prompt. At the prompt enter

Code: Select all

xorg-setup.old
Does 'xorgwizard' work?

Pick a keyboard and then Choose and change the Intel driver. I think that is how it will work. If not please tell me what you see as you go and I will check later today. Puppy does have the capability to choose between the Intel drivers and to pick the one that does not give a black screen.
Last edited by playdayz on Sat 22 May 2010, 00:06, edited 1 time in total.

Ron

Re: Lucid Puppy 5.0 - 15 May 2010

#1119 Post by Ron »

Billtoo wrote:I managed to get amarok installed with the puppy package manager, it had a ton of dependencies but I got them in steps when needed.After the install there was one more lib missing (showed up when I tried to run amarok in terminal) and I got that lib at packages.ubuntu.com.
Attached is a screenshot of amarok running.
This post is a reply to a problem with dependencies problems:
tronkel wrote:
Did you remember to update the Ubuntu Lucid package listings from within Puppy Package Manager? This will ensure that necessary dependencies are made available. You even have to do this on a fresh install of real Ubuntu.

No, Jack, I didn't remember mostly because I didn't know in the first place. Razz

I've never done that either on Puppy or Ubuntu. Now I will, thanks! BTW, following your advice worked and Lupu installed ALL of the missing dependencies. Woohoo, Lupu!!! Laughing
Don't know if this is germain to your problem, but I'll bet a lot of people don't know to update the Ubuntu packages. In the Puppy Package Manager, select "configure", then "update now". It can take a long time...

edoc

#1120 Post by edoc »

Why doesn't Lucid 5.00 remember the selection made after interrupting the boot and choosing VESA?

I thought all of the Puppy versions saved the settings when you Restart of Shutdown.

OK re. the bugfix version, do you have a target date for my planning purposes, please?
[b]Thanks! David[/b]