Lucid Puppy 5.2 Official Release JAN 5 2011

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
ttuuxxx

#101 Post by ttuuxxx »

ICPUG wrote:ttuuxxx
Since you announced your amazingly small gnumeric I have been very worried.

To reduce the size by 2/3rds maybe just due to bloat but I find it hard not to believe that some functionality has been removed as well - losing some of the inbuilt functions for example.
No functionality has been reduced, Its just comes with experience when compiling, do you think just one guy compiles all the Ubuntu packages? If so then please don't respond back! It takes a bit of know how to get it right the first time, unlike my abiword version that hasn't been tested, but from 3 out of 3 Gnumeric testers who does use spreadsheets, find my package without bugs, actually there hasn't been one single complaint against it, but numerous ones have been posted out of the previous and current versions. If I was a betting man, my chips would be on my package.
Really ICPUG do you think that ignoring a puppy professional with almost 10,000 post to someone who you don't know in Ubuntu land is the way to go? If there was an issue with my package, I would be the first to try to fix asap, unlike Ubuntu where it could take months or just might not ever happen.
ttuuxxx
Last edited by ttuuxxx on Fri 24 Dec 2010, 14:44, edited 1 time in total.
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

Jades

#102 Post by Jades »

ICPUG wrote:If DaveS or some other major spreadsheet user can run a solid test that confirms your small gnumeric works full function then great - let's use it. Until that time I remain concerned.
This is basically why I suggested that the ttuuxxx versions were tried in Luci instead of the versions that have now been found to be faulty - although to be fair to playdayz ttuuxxx's ones came out just after the feature freeze had been announced with Luci-242 and at the time nobody had reported the problems we're seeing now.
Zhaan - AMD K6 2 500, 512MB RAM, ATI Rage 128 VR. Full install Wary 5.5 [url=http://tinyurl.com/dy66kh8]HardInfo Report[/url]
Merlin - Core i5-4590, 8GB RAM, Radeon R9 270X. Slacko 5.7.0

DaveS

#103 Post by DaveS »

Jades wrote:
ICPUG wrote:If DaveS or some other major spreadsheet user can run a solid test that confirms your small gnumeric works full function then great - let's use it. Until that time I remain concerned.
This is basically why I suggested that the ttuuxxx versions were tried in Luci instead of the versions that have now been found to be faulty - although to be fair to playdayz ttuuxxx's ones came out just after the feature freeze had been announced with Luci-242 and at the time nobody had reported the problems we're seeing now.
Yes.. apologies for the slow testing but there are so many functions to try on Gnumeric.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

DaveS

#104 Post by DaveS »

Béèm wrote:
DaveS wrote:Need a little help with fbpanel. How do I add more than 2 launchbuttons?
If I think what your after, I think you need glasses. :wink:

Happy Christmas.
No Beem.. eyes are not cracking :) I saw the second option, but that still only give 4 launch icons. I need about 8

Happy Christmas to you too.. Bit cold here in Europe :)
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

dawg

516beta2

#105 Post by dawg »

Hello Puppy people

I'm loving Puppy more with each new version that I try out! All the little (and bigger) user-friendly improvements are making Puppy very enjoyable!
For a start, the "welcome options menu" is more comprehensible and easier to use, the JWM menu looks nicer than it used to, and the newer tray icons/apps are also quite useful. Even hdparm -Sx seems to work again for me now, which is comforting.

However, as usually, I've a few minor complaints that may have been addressed before or not. (Unfortunately, I don't really have the time to read the forum or even test much, so I wouldn't know and I apologize for any redundancy.)

* Barry's Simple Network Setup (offered at first run): simply fails when there's no DHCP on the network and offers or suggests no alternative, which is slightly confusing and therefore not very newcomer-friendly, IMO.

* JWM: No more desktop window switching by means of wheel scrolling when mouse over desktop?
I don't know about others, but personally, I find this quite annoying and hope the user can change this back to the old way somehow if desired?

* CPU Frequency Scaling Tool: buttons positioned strangely and the Next icon just as strangely "reversed".
I've pretty much given up on my CPU being throttled auto-dynamically on the newer kernels, but installing an older kernel solves this (and breaks hdparm. At least on 5.1.1 anyway) :)

* A strange visual effect: the current wallpaper at a first glance gives the impression of an "Englishman" wearing a monocle and moustache, not really a Puppy :) Just thought I should mention this in case you were gonna keep it for the release..

Edit: * Dillo not automatically reloading already visited pages, not even at post/edit = not good!

Let this be all for now.. Happy holidays and a happier new Puppy release :)
Last edited by dawg on Fri 24 Dec 2010, 16:25, edited 1 time in total.

Jades

#106 Post by Jades »

DaveS wrote:
Jades wrote:This is basically why I suggested that the ttuuxxx versions were tried in Luci instead of the versions that have now been found to be faulty - although to be fair to playdayz ttuuxxx's ones came out just after the feature freeze had been announced with Luci-242 and at the time nobody had reported the problems we're seeing now.
Yes.. apologies for the slow testing but there are so many functions to try on Gnumeric.
No need to apologise! I'm glad that someone who knows what they're doing is also looking at it, I'm just a dabbler with spreadsheets and was worried that even if ttuuxxx's versions did work on my K6 (which they do, by the way), I'd miss a major problem through not using a feature. My reasoning behind including them in Luci was that they'd get a wider potential audience than a seperately downloadable pet ostensibly targeted at K6 machines.
Zhaan - AMD K6 2 500, 512MB RAM, ATI Rage 128 VR. Full install Wary 5.5 [url=http://tinyurl.com/dy66kh8]HardInfo Report[/url]

jpeps

Re: Update on savefile problem

#107 Post by jpeps »

Jades wrote:
jpeps wrote:
Jades wrote:
What I did manage to do was copy the working lucisave-zhn238t2.3fs file I mentioned earlier to the directory the lupu-516 frugal is in and I changed the name to lupusave-zhn238t2.3fs and rebooted.
:D Kindof like the "rename the dev file" game...keeps you on your toes...
I agree that it's a horrible bodge but it was the only way I managed to get a working save file on that machine for that version of Puppy.
I started from scratch when my lucisave didn't work....I hadn't known about the name change until later..:D

playdayz

#108 Post by playdayz »

Oh Sh*t Sh*t Sh*t

Major bug in Gnumeric. Select a cell containing a formula. The formula appears in the formula box in the menu header as it should. Now highlight the formula in preparation to copying it to another cell and Gnumeric will crash.
Copying and pasting formulas is core functionalty for a spreadsheet so this is a showstopper.

EDIT: does not happen with the version compiled by Ttuuxxx from around page 172 of 215 thread.
Glad you found it Dave. Good going. I will post ttuuxxx's pet(s) and people can give them a workout in preparation for Lupu-517. This means one more beta, but that is a *good* thing. That is why we test. Thanks.

http://www.smokey01.com/ttuuxxx/Luci-Up ... 8-i386.pet
http://www.smokey01.com/ttuuxxx/Luci-Up ... 2-i386.pet
http://www.smokey01.com/ttuuxxx/Luci-Up ... 2-i386.pet

Adding the pets is not the exact same thing as building them in when the iso is built--so that will be the next step in a new beta soon. There is a new goffice and that very well might affect the operation of Abiword., so we need to test that also.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... start=2460

Just to reiterate. There has never been any question of the quality of ttuuxxx's work. It has been a question of the method that we are using to build a Woof-based Ubuntu Puppy. First, we try to use Ubuntu binaries, unless there is a problem. Then, if we can't solve the problem we go to binaries that are compiled in luci/lupu. Which is what we are doing now. We have one more fall back position which I hope we do not need--and that is to revert to the old gnumeric 1.10.1 from Lucid 5.1.1.

BTW, Here is an idea that I had last night. For a future Puppy project someone might build a Woof-based Puppy (from any distro) and then go about compiling 'all' of the programs in that Puppy. That strikes me as an interesting use of Woof and possibly a tight and reliable Puppy. That's what ttuuxxx wants to do anyway ;-) which I say in all respect.

Last edited by playdayz on Fri 24 Dec 2010, 16:55, edited 2 times in total.

playdayz

#109 Post by playdayz »

xmessage

Dependencies may be missing in Puppy 516.
You will either have to uninstall the Puppy2 packages, or install the missing
dependencies -- the latter is easy: click the ‘install’ icon on the desktop
after Puppy is running and you have Internet access.

These are the most likely missing dependencies (if in doubt, install them all!):
PKG-TYPE MISSING DEPENDENCIES
GTK1: gtk+12 gdkxft gdk_pixbuf10 glib12
Tcl/Tk: tk tcl tix uri tktable tablelist tile trf combobox gnocl img
Qt: qt
Xlib: imlib libxaw95_DEP4
Multimedia: speex libosip2 cdrdao sox
Misc.: libidn fig2dev pstoedit mtools
This is an artifact that doesn't mean anything other than that the Puppy is not named 2.xx.

Jades

#110 Post by Jades »

playdayz wrote:
xmessage

Dependencies may be missing in Puppy 516.
You will either have to uninstall the Puppy2 packages, or install the missing
dependencies -- the latter is easy: click the ‘install’ icon on the desktop
after Puppy is running and you have Internet access.

These are the most likely missing dependencies (if in doubt, install them all!):
PKG-TYPE MISSING DEPENDENCIES
GTK1: gtk+12 gdkxft gdk_pixbuf10 glib12
Tcl/Tk: tk tcl tix uri tktable tablelist tile trf combobox gnocl img
Qt: qt
Xlib: imlib libxaw95_DEP4
Multimedia: speex libosip2 cdrdao sox
Misc.: libidn fig2dev pstoedit mtools
This is an artifact that doesn't mean anything other than that the Puppy is not named 2.xx.
Saw it myself when I full installed Lupu 511, and checked the dependencies using the app once I'd booted it up. Nothing was missing. If it's an obsolete message, can it be removed?

playdayz

#111 Post by playdayz »

Saw it myself when I full installed Lupu 511, and checked the dependencies using the app once I'd booted it up. Nothing was missing. If it's an obsolete message, can it be removed?
It would involve changing some code of Barry's which I try not to do--but sometimes we do it anyway.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ah-ha, I can make the fbpanel misbehave. The reports were that sometimes the fbpanel would end up blank, with nothing in the system tray (and the menu not working).

If I boot pfix=ram and then use Quickpet to install the Xorg_High driver and then immediately Restart the X server, then the menu malfunctions. However, if I wait until the entire process of installing the Xorg-High is finished and I get the splash that says Success, then Restart the X server, it is OK. So it appears that the problem arises when the X server is killed (restarted) before fixmenus is finished running. I can think of several ways to block this--does anyone have suggestions?

Does anyone else have a specific situation that causes fbpanel to malfunction? Thanks.

l0wt3ch

#112 Post by l0wt3ch »

playdayz wrote:
It would involve changing some code of Barry's which I try not to do--but sometimes we do it anyway.
Please do. :)

Users have asked why they get those dependency error messages when they use Puppy Studio - it's especially noticeable when they do a full install. Saying "oh don't worry about those, they're not accurate" isn't convincing, and it takes from a user's confidence.

playdayz

#113 Post by playdayz »

When it comes to packages the only person above me is Barry and really do you honestly think I like to waste my time building packages for someone who ignores quality over bragging rights?
shame , shame, shame.
ttuuxxx, This is imho uncalled for. All it says is that you do not understand or support the Woof-based build system that Barry created in the same way that I do. You are not alone in that. I remind you that you did not participate in Lucid 5.1, which Barry called "brilliant." So it appears that we have been doing what Barry had in mind for Woof. That is high praise to me--it is hard to live up to.

In a message above this one I propose a future Puppy project that might use Woof in a way that would make more sense to you.

Let's move on.
Last edited by playdayz on Fri 24 Dec 2010, 21:56, edited 7 times in total.

playdayz

#114 Post by playdayz »

Users have asked why they get those dependency error messages when they use Puppy Studio - it's especially noticeable when they do a full install. Saying "oh don't worry about those, they're not accurate" isn't convincing, and it takes from a user's confidence.
You are right. Thanks. Does anyone know the Installer well enough to describe how to kill that routine without causing problems?
Last edited by playdayz on Fri 24 Dec 2010, 18:46, edited 1 time in total.

bigpup

#115 Post by bigpup »

Why is pup-advert-blocker a selection in select default browser?
Attachments
default browser select.png
select default browser
(20.55 KiB) Downloaded 1051 times

jpeps

#116 Post by jpeps »

Jades wrote:
DaveS wrote:
Jades wrote:This is basically why I suggested that the ttuuxxx versions were tried in Luci instead of the versions that have now been found to be faulty - although to be fair to playdayz ttuuxxx's ones came out just after the feature freeze had been announced with Luci-242 and at the time nobody had reported the problems we're seeing now.
No need to apologise! I'm glad that someone who knows what they're doing is also looking at it, I'm just a dabbler with spreadsheets and was worried that even if ttuuxxx's versions did work on my K6 (which they do, by the way), I'd miss a major problem through not using a feature. My reasoning behind including them in Luci was that they'd get a wider potential audience than a seperately downloadable pet ostensibly targeted at K6 machines.
There's just no guarantees before testing. Strange, but I recall having to update glib to get gnumeric working in tuuxxx's "official" issue. Testing is what it's all about, regardless of years of experience.

ilanrab

#117 Post by ilanrab »

ICPUG wrote: ...
To reduce the size by 2/3rds maybe just due to bloat but I find it hard
not to believe that some functionality has been removed as
well - losing some of the inbuilt functions for example.
That is just ICPUG's "belief", and nothing more. Most custom software
packages are unique. Therefore, such packages' optimization steps
might reduce any package size by ANY amount -- including up
to 99.9999% reduction. Same exact functionality is retained:
- A sloppy algorithm may be rewritten to be 10 lines of code
instead of a 1000 lines.
- Compiler switches may be modified to target specific hardware.
- Compiler switches are modified to increase optimization levels, at the
expense of running the compilation hours instead of minutes.
- Removal of debugging variables reduces packages considerably.
- Removing built-in instrumentation code reduces package size.
- Running specialized tools, aimed at abfuscation and encoding may
reduce the package size considerably.
- Substituting High-Level Language code with Low-Level Language
code (inline) may reduce a package's size, and of course the code
will run much faster (for example, Pascal -> assembler code).
- Removing large routines from the package, and loading them
dynamically (runtime) can reduce a package size by up to 99%,
if so desired.
- MANY others...
Your past posts (re dropping gnumeric to make the iso smaller) suggest
you are not a user of spreadsheets and therefore your small version
has probably not been tested very well.
This is a cheap shot, and a low blow to boot. It's uncalled for and certainly
unprofessional. It does not progress any process and only hurts the poster
and the overall forum's professionalism.
If DaveS or some other major spreadsheet user can run a solid test...
Posters are always capable of contacting DaveS themselves. Why didn't
this poster do so directly? Instead, the poster unleashed his private
thoughts on this public forum. Basically, unprofessional behavior.

There are certain Netiquette guidelines that assist net users to
navigate correctly in respectable/professional social environments.
Those who have not run across this concept may start here (it's a good
starting point): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netiquette

The more ambitious, of us, can go here (make sure it's one long URL):
http://www.google.com/search?q=netiquet ... mages&tbs=

Good luck, and may the "code" be with you, :wink:
ir
Last edited by ilanrab on Fri 24 Dec 2010, 21:55, edited 1 time in total.

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#118 Post by Béèm »

DaveS wrote:
Béèm wrote:
DaveS wrote:Need a little help with fbpanel. How do I add more than 2 launchbuttons?
If I think what your after, I think you need glasses. :wink:

Happy Christmas.
No Beem.. eyes are not cracking :) I saw the second option, but that still only give 4 launch icons. I need about 8

Happy Christmas to you too.. Bit cold here in Europe :)
I knew what was coming, so I went quickly to Lanzarote before the airports were blocked. :wink:
You said need > 2, which doesn't imply 8, no? :roll:

I found the file /root/.fbpanel/config and added 2 more buttons by editing it.
That worked.
But adding a 5th or more doesn't work.
I think you should run 2 puppy's in parallel to have 8. 8)
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

playdayz

#119 Post by playdayz »

What's on the table here are:

1) trying to find and disable the routine in the Installer that gives the erroneous warnings about Puppy 2.

2) Trying to make fbpanel misbehave in repeatable ways.

3) Testing the 3 Gnumeric packages prepared by ttuuxxx + Abiword

4) question (for 01micko) about pup-advert blocker.

DaveS

#120 Post by DaveS »

Béèm wrote:went quickly to Lanzarote before the airports were blocked. :wink:
Missed my ski holiday in Austria, no flight :(
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!