Ubuntu Studio: "Puppy Edition"

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Perry Nium

#101 Post by Perry Nium »

Well it looks like I'll have to say goodbye, wish you all luck with this and give up.
I asked about my soundcard ( http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=58756 ) which isn't working with Puppy, but no-one is able to help, so I guess that's it!

Thanks, and good luck, maybe one day I'll be able to run Kdenlve and OpenShot at superspeed from memory with Puppy-on-a-stick, but it's not going be any good without sound!

:)

aarf

#102 Post by aarf »

Perry Nium wrote:Well it looks like I'll have to say goodbye, wish you all luck with this and give up.
I asked about my soundcard ( http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=58756 ) which isn't working with Puppy, but no-one is able to help, so I guess that's it!

Thanks, and good luck, maybe one day I'll be able to run Kdenlve and OpenShot at superspeed from memory with Puppy-on-a-stick, but it's not going be any good without sound!

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 015#437015

Perry Nium

#103 Post by Perry Nium »

?? :?

"got it to work with a M-audio audiophile 24-96 pci card with no problem?"

- doesn't really give me any clues!

:lol:

l0wt3ch

#104 Post by l0wt3ch »

There'll be a new version coming out fairly soon, so hopefully that will solve your problem (no promises tho). Try to be patient. :)

aarf

#105 Post by aarf »

Perry Nium wrote:?? :?

"got it to work with a M-audio audiophile 24-96 pci card with no problem?"

- doesn't really give me any clues!

:lol:
does it work with lupu510? then it may work in the next Ubuntu Studio: "Puppy Edition".
if not, in the lupu510 thread would be the best place to ask for it to be supported
Last edited by aarf on Tue 17 Aug 2010, 18:26, edited 1 time in total.

FrettedSynth

#106 Post by FrettedSynth »

Perry Nium - Not sure I can be of much help as I am very new to linux in general :-(

But ? what type of machine are you using? Is there an internal sound card on the motherboard? if there is (internal card) you might want to try to disable it through the BIOS so puppy only will see the Maudio 24-96 card.

Other things I found worked sometimes is to go in the menu to "setup\ALSA settings and set to correct card, or if Open shot uses JACK go to JACK settings and make sure the 24-96 is selected in Interface.

Hope it can be of some help?

aarf

#107 Post by aarf »

Perry Nium wrote:Well it looks like I'll have to say goodbye, wish you all luck with this and give up.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 030#443030

puprag

Fatdog64 to team up with ubuntu puppy

#108 Post by puprag »

From my experimenting, I am getting a lower latency with the 64 bit architecture because of SSE2 SIMD instructions, I would suggest you talk to Kirk and see if he would be interested in making a fatdog64 with a real time kernel by using the 64 bit lucid ubuntu studio patches.

This is because JACK is SSE optimized.

Perry Nium

#109 Post by Perry Nium »

Thanks for the attempts to help. I haven't wiped the USB stick yet, so I'll try again.
The sound setup wizard didn't give me any options that looked anything like the 2496, but I'll fiddle around some more.
Cheers

Perry Nium

#110 Post by Perry Nium »

I've updated the dedicated 2496 thread with this...

I tried again, and had a go with the default ICE 1712 selection that it offered me. Despite that name looking nothing like what I thought I needed, it worked perfectly!

Sorry if I gave any browsing/googling readers the wrong impression.

There is no volume control applet though, but maybe I'll need to exit and restart X before it shows up. I did eventually find Alsamixer from the mp3 player's menu, which allowed me to boost the volume a bit. The gmixer panel was useless to me, I couldn't find out how to move the faders! And the ?xine? media player refused to play any WAV or MP3, leaving me at the mercy of that clumsy player which had no contol over track playback except for back/fwd in 30 second slow seeks, as and when it decided it could be bothered to! :?

Apart from that, I'm very impressed!

So, thanks all. My next task is to start looking again at how to get OpenShot & Kdenlive going.... :D

grover

You are my new hero

#111 Post by grover »

This is fantastic! I started tinkering with puppy again with the intent to make this very same disk more or less. My primary interest being having Reaper running on it. I'm so into this!

l0wt3ch

#112 Post by l0wt3ch »

Ubuntu Studio: "Puppy Edition" 3.0 is out.

I've updated the first post. :)

grover

#113 Post by grover »

Awesome, thanks l0wt3ch.
What would be the difference between the 2 versions?

Perry Nium

#114 Post by Perry Nium »

Nice work!

Is OpenShot the latest version? (It's hard to work out from their site/forum what the latest ver is, but hey!)

Will there be a way of adding in the latest Kdenlive ( a much enhanced http://kdenlive.org/discover/0.7.8 ) when it's out in mid September?

Thanks

l0wt3ch

#115 Post by l0wt3ch »

Grover: There's some programs (like Jamin and Timidity) that are finally working now, little things like graffiti fonts. But most importantly (for me, anyway) is that Line6 usb support is working out of the box. :) I won't know it till I hear back, but I bet firewire is working now too.

Perry: OpenShot is the latest version in the Ubuntu Lucid repositories. As for Kdenlive, I was going to include it (in spite of the large size!) but it wasn't working properly. I'll have to see about this new version, because Kdenlive is actually my video editor of choice.

grover

Just for fun and then some

#116 Post by grover »

The brick wall wallpaper reminds me of this
http://rockandrollconfidential.com/hall/index.php
It's makes me laugh and I love it.

Just got to booting this up now. Reaper is my main app these days for audio work, and I use a delta1010lt for an interface. I load reaper and go to select my input tracks and it seems to think I only have a 2 channel card. I had the same issue with the last last ISO and I'm not sure where to go from here.

I've been a linux user for 8 years now, however my DAW has always been an off the net, dedicated, standalone setup, running winblows. Is this a bug or is there something I'm overlooking? Sorry if this seems like a newb question, but I'm at a bit of a loss.

aarf

#117 Post by aarf »

l0wt3ch wrote:.

Perry: OpenShot is the latest version in the Ubuntu Lucid repositories. As for Kdenlive, I was going to include it (in spite of the large size!) but it wasn't working properly. I'll have to see about this new version, because Kdenlive is actually my video editor of choice.
i have been using this kdenlive in preference to openshot

Perry Nium

#118 Post by Perry Nium »

I admire the speed of development of OpenShot, but Kdenlive still seems to be a bit farther down the road - correct me if I'm wrong.

I'll wait for the official mid-Sept release before I have another bash at trying to get it up and running. I'm taking a breather after verifying that Puppy works OK with my PC setup :D

Thanks

postfs1

#119 Post by postfs1 »

To reedit up to date.
Last edited by postfs1 on Sun 27 Mar 2016, 21:45, edited 1 time in total.

l0wt3ch

#120 Post by l0wt3ch »

Grover: check your pm's.

Aarf: I know, eh? Good on Battleshooter for making that sfs.

Perry: Sounds good!

Postfs1: Umm... right. Wait, what?