Puppeee 4.3X

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
prehistoric

dmesg from failed boot on 900A

#101 Post by prehistoric »

@Jemimah,

I've tried to mount several partitions where I might save dmesg.txt long enough to upload it - without luck. I just tried again. This time I got no error message from mount, which I got when I included the file system type parameter, but after I copied the file, it looks like the file went to sda1, not the SD card.

I've used my other 4.3.1 system to transfer this file, which is attached. I can't prove I didn't mistype the name, without doing this a second time, but the behavior I'm seeing is consistent with the weird naming I've seen on the desktop icons. When I specified the type, (because I wasn't sure the mount command used at this point was smart enough to figure that out on its own,) it failed. The OS is getting sda and sdb mixed up.

Added: I can prove I didn't mistype sdb1. I did it again, and again found the first partition of the internal SSD mounted.

Tried removing pmedia and pdev from the syslinux.cfg, and I am now posting from the first successful boot off the SD card.
Attachments
screen shot.jpg
screenshot of Puppeee 4.3.1 booted from SD card on 900A
(45.96 KiB) Downloaded 388 times
dmesg.txt.gz
gzipped dmesg.txt from failed boot on 900A
(4.33 KiB) Downloaded 360 times
Last edited by prehistoric on Sun 01 Nov 2009, 21:34, edited 1 time in total.

cor

gprs setup failure

#102 Post by cor »

jemimah, I don't seem to be able to setup a proper gprs connection. When selecting this option in "internet connection wizard", the menu fails to appear. Suggestions please? :?

jemimah

#103 Post by jemimah »

Cor, the drivers for gprs are not in the kernel yet. I built only the basic drivers to start as it takes long enough to rebuild the kernel on a netbook as it is. :) I am planning on building everything back in once the beta testing is further along. I'm trying to think of a convenient way to package the drivers so we can keep the kernel small, and so people can grab just the drivers they need.

jemimah

#104 Post by jemimah »

Prehistoric, it does appear your card reader is being detected before your hard drive. This may be a result of the 'fastboot' parameter which tells the kernel to detect hardware asynchronously as it becomes ready. Perhaps your hard drive is just extra slow to respond (the drive names are assigned in order of drive detection). You could try removing fastboot and see if that fixes it. I have no idea why the card reader appears as a floppy disk. I've seen that once or twice on my machine, but not consistently.

jakfish

#105 Post by jakfish »

Since I run at Power Saving all the time, but I love your suspend feature, I've simply edited and left blank power.sh and performance.sh, so that when sleep.sh recalls their status, the status is left where I want it--power savings.

Is this the best way to go about this? It seems to work, to my amateur eye.

Jake

jemimah

#106 Post by jemimah »

Jakfish, feel free to go nuts editing the acpi scripts. If you come up with any good innovations, let the rest of us know.

prehistoric

fastboot not cause

#107 Post by prehistoric »

Jemimah, I had already removed the fastboot parameter, so that isn't changing the order of the drives. I find it hard to believe this "disk" is unusually slow. This is an SSD which has essentially no seek time and a good transfer rate for reads. A mechanical disk would have to go through some movement to check that it is calibrated on start up, and wait for spin-up. The only assumption which would make it slow is a deliberate delay introduced to prevent errors on power up. The behavior of standard Puppy appears to contradict this.

The stock 4.3.1 system shows the drives in the familiar order on this machine. I've attached the dmesg from exactly the same kind of boot on the stock 4.3.1 for comparison. My internal drive is back to the unmodified Xandros configuration. I've used the BIOS to change the order of "hard disks", nothing else. The behavior when booting from the boot menu brought up by the escape key is identical.
Attachments
stockdmesg.txt.gz
gzipped dmesg from boot of standard 4.3.1 on SD card on 900A
(4.57 KiB) Downloaded 372 times

Ray MK

#108 Post by Ray MK »

Hi all

Running the beta1_3 on my 701SD and all seems good.
This is the 701SD with Xandros, 900mhz celeron proc. and 512mb ram.

Am running from SSD and booting via grub after editing menu.lst
Had to setup touchpad tapping but other than that all seems to work as expected.

haven't tried webcam or wifi yet - but suspend (close lid) seems to work well.

This is fantastic - seems faster than normal and is the best overall puppy experience I've had on the Eee.

Will try on SDcard and usb - just to confirm all is as expected and will feedback.

Many thanks indeed for all your efforts and for making an excellent job of a specialized 413eee puppy.

Am over the moon - very best regards - Ray.

ps - I presume there is always more to do and would be very happy to help in any n00bie way that you feel is useful.

jemimah

#109 Post by jemimah »

Ray MK, thank you for the encouragement and the success story! Right now the best way to help is continue beta testing, and make suggestions.

Also I've been thinking about the Puppeee name. I've seen previous versions on google as Pupeee, Puppeee, and PupEEE. What do you all prefer? I've spelled it "Puppeee" so far because "Pupeee" seems like you might pronounce it "poopey". ;) Maybe this is all in my head and pupEEE is catchier... What does everybody think?

prehistoric

name

#110 Post by prehistoric »

My vote: stick with Puppeee, just don't hit the space bar in the middle.

Kudos from me also. This is very close to what I'm seeking. Just a couple of small things and Xandros will be history so far as I'm concerned. I can't speak for the other user of this particular machine, but have high hopes. The difference in responsiveness makes you wonder how anyone in business gets away with selling sluggish systems.

zicozico

Some problems on EEE701

#111 Post by zicozico »

Hi Guys,

Just installed this puppeee on my asus 701 4g.

In general, this is the best puppy experience so far.

Though sound is notworking (even after alsaconf) and this might be related to the volum of the speaker in the tray always being set to low (mute?)

any other ideas?

Zicozico

cor

#112 Post by cor »

I concur with Ray MK. I have the same 701 machine. This is the best EEEpup I've encountered. Very fast start-up time. No need for me to boot into RAM as this pup is low on system resources. Finally all the function keys are now supported. That was always an issue with puppy on eeepc. I downloaded Skype v2.0 and it WORKS with the built in mic. No puppy could do that before! Webcam works also. There are some network issues, though. After wlan is detected and UP, it is severed within seconds. You have to run a scan (twice) before is it picked up again. Weird, because all the time the network displays in pwidgets and is never gone...
All in all GREAT work so far. I'm in awe :shock: Believe me, I tried a lot of distros. Recently Jolicloud and Leeenux. Never satisfied me. There was always something that didn't work. Why this particluar puppy? Well, its' fast and lightweight and not to mention EXCELLENT support and fast response. Need I say more? Keep going! :D

jemimah

#113 Post by jemimah »

Zicozico, I have the 4g too and I hadn't noticed before that the tray volume does not work. I will try to figure out what's wrong with it. In the meantime, both zmixer and alsamixer should be working.

Regarding the networking, make sure using Wpa_gui in the tray rather than Network Wizard. If you need to use Network Wizard for some reason, wpa_gui needs to be disabled by moving the "networking" script out of /root/Startup. Wpa_gui and network wizard will fight each other if you try to use them both at the same time. Cor, I can't tell which your are using from your description. If you are having problems with wpa_gui, you can start it from the command line to see what's going on.

Code: Select all

killall wpa_gui
killall wpa_supplicant
killall dhcpcd
/root/Startup/networking

jemimah

#114 Post by jemimah »

I've posted a new version and updated the URL in the first post.

New in this version:
Ramboot Init script option
PCI hotplug support and extra usb debugging output added to kernel (for Prehistoric's problem)
Fixes to acpi scripts including hotkey support for EEE 901 quicklaunch keys
alsactrl startup script for mixer settings
Tap to click now the default

mawebb88

Re: name

#115 Post by mawebb88 »

prehistoric wrote:My vote: stick with Puppeee, just don't hit the space bar in the middle.

Kudos from me also. This is very close to what I'm seeking. Just a couple of small things and Xandros will be history so far as I'm concerned. I can't speak for the other user of this particular machine, but have high hopes. The difference in responsiveness makes you wonder how anyone in business gets away with selling sluggish systems.
I am a big Puppy fan and have several pups on my EeePC901. I will give Puppeee 4.31 Beta-1 a go as well (412 is my personal fav at the moment as some things in 431 e.g sound are not working right) but I took the plunge a couple days ago and wiped Xandros completely and reformatted the 1st SSD (my pups are all on sdb1) to get 4Gig and then installed Ubuntu 910 KK Netbook Remix (making sure I avoided ext4). Wow! This is good.

Rgds Mike

cor

#116 Post by cor »

jemimah wrote: Regarding the networking, make sure using Wpa_gui in the tray rather than Network Wizard. If you need to use Network Wizard for some reason, wpa_gui needs to be disabled by moving the "networking" script out of /root/Startup. Wpa_gui and network wizard will fight each other if you try to use them both at the same time. Cor, I can't tell which your are using from your description. If you are having problems with wpa_gui, you can start it from the command line to see what's going on.

killall wpa_gui
killall wpa_supplicant
killall dhcpcd
/root/Startup/networking
Jemimah,
I'm using the wpa_gui by default. The connection won't hold, though. That's why I start network wizard to reconnect. Reconnecting with wpa_gui doensn't seem to work. :? When starting from the command line, the output confirms this (How do I print this?). I get readings like "wlan0 timed out" and it eventually loops into CTRL-EVENT-SCAN-RESULTS. I wish I could be more precise but I'm rather new at this. :oops:

prehistoric

no pupsave bug

#117 Post by prehistoric »

There is a report of a bug in which 4.3.1 shuts down without creating a pupsave file. Since this did not refer to Puppeee, I've been assuming it is with the stock 4.3.1.

Last night I saw this while testing different boot methods on Puppeee 4.3.1 beta3. My first thought was that this was due to a problem with my wireless keyboard, and the OS really did ask about saving. This would have required several specific keystrokes, which seems unlikely. Second thought, a possible ACPI bug, as holding the power button down long enough can bypass saving. When I found the report about this problem on standard 4.3.1, I began to wonder if this problem was inherited.

I'll check out beta4, and report if I see this again.

jemimah

#118 Post by jemimah »

Cor, to save debugging output from wpa_supplicant:

killall wpa_supplicant
/usr/local/sbin/wpa_supplicant -iwlan0 -c/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf -d > /root/wpaoutput.txt
The need to scan twice when using the network wizard is a known bug in 4.3.1. Use the Pwireless utility from the network menu instead.

Prehistoric, I've experienced the save thing a few times, but I can't reproduce it, and I don't know what causes it. It's definitely inherited, but I'm not sure how to fix it.

I may try upgrading alsa to the newest version and see if that helps the people with no sound.

jemimah

#119 Post by jemimah »

Check out the changelog for alsa 10.0.21:
http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index. ... 20_v1.0.21

I thought this line was especially interesting
ALSA: hda - Missing volume controls for Intel HDA (ALC269/EeePC

prehistoric

ALSA change log+ beta4

#120 Post by prehistoric »

ALSA: hda - Missing volume controls for Intel HDA (ALC269/EeePC

By Jove, I think she's got it!

The sheer number of fixes on HDA Intel sound suggests to me that one design criterion for the device was that only multi-billion-dollar corporations could support it. This fits what I've seen concerning Blu-ray drives also. I have one which appears to turn into a brick at the drop of a hat. Mashita (Matsushita) doesn't answer questions about it. The danger with this business strategy is the possibility of products nobody can support. (Vista comes to mind. This assumes somebody wants to support the products. Check on problems with shared printers and mixed Windows 7 /XP networks. Prices of surplus machines with XP have taken a hit in the last two weeks.)

Beta4 works as beta3 did on my 900A. Sound remains messed up. The SD card still appears as a floppy called sda1. I continue to connect using the Puppy network wizard, scanning twice. (I'm not at all certain about what wpa_gui thinks it has connected to when it tells me it is connected, I exit from it when it appears.) I can boot with or without the "fastboot" parameter. I've left off "pmedia=usbflash" because of the problem discussed before.

I've been unable to reproduce the "no pupsave on shutdown" bug in half-a-dozen attempts.