Puppy 4.3.1 -- bug reports and suggestions

Please post any bugs you have found
capoverde

Pburn problem with audio CDs confirmed

#101 Post by capoverde »

Re my previous post: just burned an audio CD with PBurn in Puppy4.1.3 without any crippling. This means that there actually is a nasty file-crippling bug in PBurn! Hope it's also easy to crush...

* * * Also noticed that burning a CD with PBurn takes many more CPU resources in Puppy 4.3.1 than in the elder 4.1.3: in fact, with the latter I typed the first paragraph of this post during the actual burning process, while in Pupppy 4.3.1 it is pretty much impossible to do anything till the end of the burn.

laserman

#102 Post by laserman »

vtpup wrote:
laserman wrote:When booting up, I get:

-sh: setenv: command not found.

It doesn't seem to affect the overall operation but was noted during boot up.

After booting up, opening the console, I get:

bash: setenv: command not found

Posted for the group and noted VTPUP also received the same error previously.

Best Regards,
John
A c shell script somewhere is being attempted by bash. Possible clues to where if you do a pfind for *.csh. Check to see if any of these are in some kind of startup folder or associated with the app startup that you experience it in.
It is in the Realplay.csh file where I installed Realplayer. I will remove it as it was only a test. No bug issue here in that regard. Here is the gist of the file.
  • # Do not modify this file.
    # It will be replaced during update or reinstall.
    # If modification is desired, rename the file.

# Ex. PATH=${PATH}:/opt/real/RealPlayer

setenv PATH ${PATH}:/opt/real/RealPlayer
Best Regards,
John

stiginge

#103 Post by stiginge »

After installing mplayer plugin and codecs from package manager as suggested by tubby on page1 of this thread, still cannot get http://www.bloomberg.com/avp/avp.htm?clipSRC=LiveBTV to play in either firefox or seamonkey. Also checked in browser prefs and javascript is enabled. What can I do now?
Attachments
bloomberg.png
(65.75 KiB) Downloaded 574 times
Buy silver, crash JPMorgan

arby

512MB Jumpdrive -- Can't Install

#104 Post by arby »

I've had Puppy on these jumpdrives since version 4.0, without issues.
However, something about boot files must have changed with 4.3.1.
Now when I install 4.3.1 to my 512mb drive, the files copy but it always
says Not A Bootable Device. I can reformat, set flag with GParted etc,
no dice. Once the 4.3.1 ISO has been on it, it doesn't boot again even
if I go back to earlier puppy versions.

I was able to 'force' 4.3.1 onto a 2GB drive with the Unetbootin utility,
but even that will not work on the 512mb Lexar.

This all worked before. What changed? What am I missing?

tubby

#105 Post by tubby »

@stiginge, download and install mplayer from package manager and it should work ok from your FF, i already had it installed :oops: so i forgot that you would need it also.

otropogo

how to get the utility tool bar back

#106 Post by otropogo »

Wondered what happened to the utility bar activatd in Puppy 4.2.1 by moving the cursor to the top of the desktop.

I thought I'd found the solution in the Menu/Desktop/Ptray-utility bar tab, but clicking on it doesn't do anything on my system...

Is there a trick to it, or is it a bug?
otropogo@gmail.com facebook.com/otropogo

rjbrewer

#107 Post by rjbrewer »

Widgets that were part of 4.2 do not exist in 4.3.

Two very different Puppies.

Read their histories.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

MinHundHettePerro

Re: how to get the utility tool bar back

#108 Post by MinHundHettePerro »

otropogo wrote:Wondered what happened to the utility bar activatd in Puppy 4.2.1 by moving the cursor to the top of the desktop.

I thought I'd found the solution in the Menu/Desktop/Ptray-utility bar tab, but clicking on it doesn't do anything on my system...

Is there a trick to it, or is it a bug?
Just thinking aloud here, did you install a .pet with the Ptray-utility from 4.2x? The Ptray is, as far as I know, only utilising JWM-built-in's, and would, unless there was a pinstall-script included, need the following commands to be run:
fixmenus
jwm -restart.

Just loud-thinking :)/
MHHP
[color=green]Celeron 2.8 GHz, 1 GB, i82845, many ptns, modes 12, 13
Dual Xeon 3.2 GHz, 1 GB, nvidia quadro nvs 285[/color]
Slackos & 214X, ... and Q6xx
[color=darkred]Nämen, vaf....[/color] [color=green]ln -s /dev/null MHHP[/color]

stiginge

#109 Post by stiginge »

Tubby: I installed mplayer1.0rc2-071007-1, also have mplayer_codecs_full-20071007 and mplayerplug-in-3.45. However unfortunately it still doesn't run bloomberg tv @ http://www.bloomberg.com/avp/avp.htm?clipSRC=LiveBTV. For a few seconds it says 'buffering' and an IP address shows onscreen, but then the connection breaks down and I'm left with 'stopped' in the window.

If it matters, mplayer also completely locks up my machine when I open it from the menu (the cd-rom also moves for a short while when mplayer is started).

tubby

#110 Post by tubby »

I have just installed the pets on a new installation of puppy 431 running FF3.6 beta1 and i am connected at this moment to the Bloomberg site, did you try altering the video prefs by right clicking on the stream window?.
The only other thing that might work for you is to install libnetsnmp, check dependencies of the installed pets.

otropogo

Re: how to get the utility tool bar back

#111 Post by otropogo »

MinHundHettePerro wrote:... did you install a .pet with the Ptray-utility from 4.2x?
No. The only pets I have installed in 4.3.1 are Opera and Stardict.

stiginge

#112 Post by stiginge »

gotcha! Tweaked the settings a few and now its streaming fine.

thanks for your assistance and patience tubby!

tubby

#113 Post by tubby »

Glad you managed to get it working, others have given their time to help me on this forum so what comes around goes around.

otropogo

Phantom "Ptray-utility bar" tab in 4.3.1 Menut/Desktop

#114 Post by otropogo »

otropogo wrote:
MinHundHettePerro wrote:... did you install a .pet with the Ptray-utility from 4.2x?
No. The only pets I have installed in 4.3.1 are Opera and Stardict.
Have just realized that the menu/desktop/ptray-utlity bar tab doesn't exist in the base version of Puppy 4.3.1. So how does it come to appear on my desktop menu in 4.3.1?

And I wonder how many other corruptions exist...

Is there any way to tell, other than a side-by-side comparison with Puppy 4.3.1 running without a saved configuration?

If not, it looks like I'll have to scrap my 2fs file and start from scratch from the 4.3.1 Live-CD.

More importantly, it looks like there's a fundamental problem in Puppy 4.3.1. that allows corruption to occur undetected when adopting a 2fs file from a previous version.

vtpup

#115 Post by vtpup »

Yes, I found that the move from 4.1.2 to 4.3.1 was problematic if you tried to carry over the personal save file.

I still have shut down problems -- some flag or switch connected with the command kill is throwing a syntax error message when I try to run the shutdown process in the terminal. I also found that some .csh scripts were being attempted by bash, naturally this also threw error messages. I got rid of two of those scripts in the startup folder. There were duplicate to bash scripts also there so the .csh scripts were redundant -- as well as being written for the wrong shell. Deleting them cleared up the error messages. People getting "setenv" error messages probably have .csh scripts somewhere as well,

I imagine the move from 4.2x to 4.3.1 would be even more likely to cause some problems, depending on what you had onboard. A personal savefile will naturally try to preserve possibly inappropriate .pets or settings, even possibly menu entries when you try to upgrade. That might explain the false entry you have.

otropogo

#116 Post by otropogo »

vtpup wrote:Yes, I found that the move from 4.1.2 to 4.3.1 was problematic ...
I imagine the move from 4.2x to 4.3.1 would be even more likely to cause some problems, ....
I don't recall ever having such problems previously. I lost a whole host of icons in the process, and had to copy them over. And in Menu/Desktop I found four tabs that don't exist in the original 4.3.1 sfs, Pwidgets, Ptray-, Parcelllite-Clipboard Manager, and Wall Paper Select Backdrop Image.

The only one that works is the last, maybe because it's just a name change for Nathan Wallpaper Setter, which is native to 4.3.1, but doesn't appear in mine.

In Menu/System, the only other set I compared, Cups Web Interface, GTKLP, GTLPQ, and Memtest all appear. I only tested the last one, since I don't have a printer connected. It calls up a terminal window called memtestshell, but nothing happens.

None of those entries are found in the original 4.3.1., and one from the orginal is missing Cups ...Printing

So I would guess the mishmash is quite extensive, and may have corrupted a number of 4.3.1's functions, like the functioning of the MUT option in Pmount, which shows no sign of working on my system.

It could be a major problem if you've done a lot of tweaking to your system prior to upgrading.

zigbert

#117 Post by zigbert »

capoverde wrote:This is a really queer bug, although nothing similar comes up searching in this thread. Stumbled in it this morning, when trying to burn an audio CD with Puppy 4.3.1's PBurn.

On the disc, all tracks are cut to about 1,5 secs playing time - but there's much worse: even all source *.wav files in the list are crippled to 544 KB each!!! Luckily I had another copy of the originals...

It appears that the crippling happens at the very start of the burning command. During the burn, this message appears for every track:

>WARNING: padding to secsize
>burning 144k of pad data

which I don't remember having seen in previous versions.

Tried booting Puppy 4.3.1 off another CD, with pfix=ram; even tried burning a different kind of CD -- same thing. The ISO's MD5 checks OK; all else seems to work regularly on this box (AMD Athlon 1800, 512 MB Ram, XVesa 1280x1024). PBurn had plenty of space for temporary files (>5GB) and a hardware defect seems unlikely as the ISO was burned successfully.

Although it's not a frequent job here, several audio CDs have been burnt with PBurn in previous Puppy versions on this same machine without problems. I'll try again with one of them to see if they still work right, and with 4.3.1 on other boxes: this behavior is too strange.
2 questions:
- What fileformat has the original audio-files?
- What filesystem (ext/fat/ntfs..) are temporary storage pointed to?

A log-file would be interesting.

Thanks for reporting
Sigmund

8-bit

#118 Post by 8-bit »

dogle wrote:Jens reported this bug in the 431 release candidate (Abiword crashes on attempt to select Format=>Create and Modify Styles)
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 1&start=46

Confirmed in the final; a quick peek at the Abisuite bugtracker just tells me I'm out out of my depth in there i.e. I'm still not sure whether it's Abi-specific or a build issue.

Although it is easy enough for the savvy to workaround by editing the normal.awt file manually, this bug is quite vexing and could be a serious turnoff for our non-savvy refugees.
As a test, I downloaded the source for Abiword 2.8.1, compiled it , made a pet, and installed it. I renamed the executable to abiword2 for ease of uninstall and to keep track of the one I was using.
It first failed to run.
I moved /usr/local/lib/libabiword-2.8.so to /usr/lib/libabiword-2.8.so and it worked.
Also, the crash had disappeared.
I then tried moving the files to the directories as they were placed in the original Abiword 2.6.3.
The crash reappeared.
So could this be attributed to a mismatched directory structure for Abiword 2.6.3?
PS.

otropogo

Lost ability to navigate desktop after changing mouse type

#119 Post by otropogo »

While experimenting (without a recent backup), I managed to lose all mouse access, and can't find a reference to navigating the desktop using the keyboard alone.

Does anyone know whether this can be done and how? I need to get to the Setup/mouse menu and select the mouse type to regain use of my 2fs file.

If there's no way to do it on the desktop, how do I access and do it from the command line?

xconfigwizard only lets me choose choose the display type.

gposil

#120 Post by gposil »

Just hit F12 for menu and use keystokes from there...
[img]http://gposil.netne.net/images/tlp80.gif[/img] [url=http://www.dpup.org][b]Dpup Home[/b][/url]