Is there interest in an Arch32 Pup???

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
rockedge

#101 Post by rockedge »

Hello s243a!

I used ArchPup as the host to run Xnest (instructions will come soon) then using wiak's FirstRib (WeeDog Void Linux) which I mounted using wiaks scripts to do so.

With Xnest running as DISPLAY=:1 and by exporting the value in the terminal for the mounted FirstRib file system, I start jwm in the terminal which displays in the Xnest window and I start a terminal and use rox --pinboard default to complete an entire desktop running WeeDog (Void Linux) in the Xnest instance.

everything in WeeDog will run in ArchPup. For more integration I can turn off Xnest and return the WeeDog instance to DISPLAY=:0 and anything I then run from the WeeDog terminal will run on the same xorg display as ArchPup.
This means the kernel will be the ArchPup one. Moving the volume in the WeeDog system will move the volume in ArchPup and you get the picture.
The system devices are shared with WeeDog.

So far ArchPup has handled this all very well and I am about to go to +9 and experiment further with this sort of sandbox'ed second OS

Any errors encountered I will share with the thread

s243a

#102 Post by s243a »

rockedge wrote:Hello s243a!

I used ArchPup as the host to run Xnest (instructions will come soon) then using wiak's FirstRib (WeeDog Void Linux) which I mounted using wiaks scripts to do so.

With Xnest running as DISPLAY=:1 and by exporting the value in the terminal for the mounted FirstRib file system, I start jwm in the terminal which displays in the Xnest window and I start a terminal and use rox --pinboard default to complete an entire desktop running WeeDog (Void Linux) in the Xnest instance.

everything in WeeDog will run in ArchPup. For more integration I can turn off Xnest and return the WeeDog instance to DISPLAY=:0 and anything I then run from the WeeDog terminal will run on the same xorg display as ArchPup.
This means the kernel will be the ArchPup one. Moving the volume in the WeeDog system will move the volume in ArchPup and you get the picture.
The system devices are shared with WeeDog.

So far ArchPup has handled this all very well and I am about to go to +9 and experiment further with this sort of sandbox'ed second OS

Any errors encountered I will share with the thread
Sounds interesting. I'll have to take a look at your scripts, just because I'm interested in this chroot sandboxing stuff :)

I'm actually right now running arch32pup +9 in a chroot that is located inside a modified arch32pup +7 as the host. The host actually started out as a chroot but is now running as the OS that I booted in.
Find me on [url=https://www.minds.com/ns_tidder]minds[/url] and on [url=https://www.pearltrees.com/s243a/puppy-linux/id12399810]pearltrees[/url].

s243a

#103 Post by s243a »

s243a wrote:I installed supertux2, I'm adding some notes here in case there are dependency resolution in the package manager that we need to fix:
Process: Install supertux2 via ppm (auto install mode)
Error 1: Missing: libboost_filesystem.so.1.71.0
Solution 1: Install boost-libs-1.71.0
Error 2: Missing: libSDL2-2.0.so.0
Solution 2: sdl2-2.0.10
Error 3: Missing: libSDL2_image-2.0.so.0
Solution 3. Install sdl2_image-2.0.5

And not wit should work but not tested now beside booting it up.
In the latest release +9, I got further along.

Code: Select all

Packages succesfully Installed or Downloaded 
libibus-1.5.22
openal-1.20.0
physfs-3.0.2
sdl2-2.0.10
sdl2_image-2.0.5
supertux-0.6.1

Packages that failed to be Installed or Downloaded, or were aborted be the user

Missing Shared Libraries
libQt5Core.so.5
libQt5Gui.so.5
libQt5Widgets.so.5
libboost_filesystem.so.1.71.0
libboost_locale.so.1.71.0
libmysofa.so.0

Existing Libraries that may be in a location other than /lib and /usr/lib
Interestingly enough, the ppm is now reporting the missing libs. I didn't do this in the +7 release. Regarding boost-libs, I don't think that it is listed as a dependency in db/doc file generated by 0setup. Here are the related db/doc entries:

supertux-0.6.1|supertux|0.6.1|1.0|Fun|999|pentium4/community|supertux-0.6.1-1.0-pentium4.pkg.tar.xz|+sdl2_image,+curl,+physfs,+openal,+libvorbis,+glew,+physfs,+freetype2|A classic 2D jump n run sidescroller game in a style similar to the original SuperMario games||||

sdl2_image-2.0.5|sdl2_image|2.0.5|1.3|BuildingBlock|999|pentium4/extra|sdl2_image-2.0.5-1.3-pentium4.pkg.tar.xz|+sdl2,+libpng,+libtiff,+libjpeg,+libwebp|A simple library to load images of various formats as SDL surfaces  Version 2 ||||
I'll look at the original db/doc files from the arch repo to see if there might be an error in 0setup here.
Find me on [url=https://www.minds.com/ns_tidder]minds[/url] and on [url=https://www.pearltrees.com/s243a/puppy-linux/id12399810]pearltrees[/url].

norgo

#104 Post by norgo »

@s243a

libQt5Core.so.5
libQt5Gui.so.5
libQt5Widgets.so.5

these libs are included in qt5-base package

s243a

#105 Post by s243a »

s243a wrote:
s243a wrote:I installed supertux2, I'm adding some notes here in case there are dependency resolution in the package manager that we need to fix:

libibus-1.5.22
openal-1.20.0
physfs-3.0.2
sdl2-2.0.10
sdl2_image-2.0.5
supertux-0.6.1

Missing Shared Libraries
libQt5Core.so.5
libQt5Gui.so.5
libQt5Widgets.so.5
libmysofa.so.0

Interestingly enough, the ppm is now reporting the missing libs. I didn't do this in the +7 release. Regarding boost-libs, I don't think that it is listed as a dependency in db/doc file generated by 0setup. Here are the related db/doc entries:

supertux-0.6.1|supertux|0.6.1|1.0|Fun|999|pentium4/community|supertux-0.6.1-1.0-pentium4.pkg.tar.xz|+sdl2_image,+curl,+physfs,+openal,+libvorbis,+glew,+physfs,+freetype2|A classic 2D jump n run sidescroller game in a style similar to the original SuperMario games||||

sdl2_image-2.0.5|sdl2_image|2.0.5|1.3|BuildingBlock|999|pentium4/extra|sdl2_image-2.0.5-1.3-pentium4.pkg.tar.xz|+sdl2,+libpng,+libtiff,+libjpeg,+libwebp|A simple library to load images of various formats as SDL surfaces  Version 2 ||||
I'll look at the original db/doc files from the arch repo to see if there might be an error in 0setup here.
Here is the related dependency info:

%DEPENDS%
sdl2_image
curl
physfs
openal
libvorbis
glew
physfs
freetype2

%MAKEDEPENDS%
cmake
boost
mesa
optipng
Perhaps boot-libs isn't listed as a %DEPENDS% because it is a subdepends of boost (which is one of the
%MAKEDEPENDS%). This is just a guess though. I'll have to dig deeper.

s243a

#106 Post by s243a »

norgo wrote:@s243a

libQt5Core.so.5
libQt5Gui.so.5
libQt5Widgets.so.5

these libs are included in qt5-base package
Thanks for the info. I wonder which package I installed (or alternatively came with arch32pup) is looking for libQT*.5. Things seem to be working without it though.

As a side note, some arch packages provide this info in the repo db/doc file:

%PROVIDES%
libvorbis.so=0-32
libvorbisenc.so=2-32
libvorbisfile.so=3-32
The above was from libvorbis. This info might be helpful if we every try to create a system to automate the finding of these libs.

s243a

#107 Post by s243a »

s243a wrote:
s243a wrote:

libibus-1.5.22
openal-1.20.0
physfs-3.0.2
sdl2-2.0.10
sdl2_image-2.0.5
supertux-0.6.1

Missing Shared Libraries
libQt5Core.so.5
libQt5Gui.so.5
libQt5Widgets.so.5
libmysofa.so.0

Here is the related dependency info:

%DEPENDS%
sdl2_image
curl
physfs
openal
libvorbis
glew
physfs
freetype2

%MAKEDEPENDS%
cmake
boost
mesa
optipng
Perhaps boot-libs isn't listed as a %DEPENDS% because it is a subdepends of boost (which is one of the
%MAKEDEPENDS%). This is just a guess though. I'll have to dig deeper.
I'm wondering if the %MAKEDEPENDS% imply a runtime package that will be needed. If you search the ppm for boost, in the description of boot-libs you will see that it is a runtime and the "Make Depends" are the development headers to use the runtime. We can probably figure out these relationships by searching the ppm for "runtime" and then in the AWK code have some kind of associate array lookup.

Another thought is that the runtime might be a dependency of the required libs to build the package. There could be a rule that if one of the dependencies of the "Make Depends" is a runtime, then we install the runtime but not the "Make Depends". Maybe have an environmental variable to specify whether or not the ppm does this automatically.

We could even delay installing the runtime until we verify that it has one of the missing libs.

Edit #1:

So I just checked and boot-libs (the runtime) is a dependency of boot (the development headers). Here are the dependencies for boost

%DEPENDS%
boost-libs=1.71.0

%OPTDEPENDS%
python: for python bindings
python2: for python2 bindings

%MAKEDEPENDS%
icu
python
python2
python-numpy
python2-numpy
bzip2
zlib
openmpi
zstd
findutils
Edit #2

I also that the boost-libs package gives %PROVIDES% filed in the metadata file that is downloaded in 0setup.

Here some info from this metadata boost-libs file:

%PROVIDES%
libboost_atomic.so=1.71.0-32
libboost_chrono.so=1.71.0-32
libboost_container.so=1.71.0-32
libboost_context.so=1.71.0-32
libboost_contract.so=1.71.0-32
libboost_coroutine.so=1.71.0-32
libboost_date_time.so=1.71.0-32
libboost_fiber.so=1.71.0-32
libboost_filesystem.so=1.71.0-32
libboost_graph.so=1.71.0-32
libboost_graph_parallel.so=1.71.0-32
libboost_iostreams.so=1.71.0-32
libboost_locale.so=1.71.0-32
libboost_log.so=1.71.0-32
libboost_log_setup.so=1.71.0-32
libboost_math_c99.so=1.71.0-32
libboost_math_c99f.so=1.71.0-32
libboost_math_c99l.so=1.71.0-32
libboost_math_tr1.so=1.71.0-32
libboost_math_tr1f.so=1.71.0-32
libboost_math_tr1l.so=1.71.0-32
libboost_mpi.so=1.71.0-32
libboost_numpy27.so=1.71.0-32
libboost_numpy38.so
libboost_prg_exec_monitor.so=1.71.0-32
libboost_program_options.so=1.71.0-32
libboost_python27.so=1.71.0-32
libboost_python38.so=1.71.0-32
libboost_random.so=1.71.0-32
libboost_regex.so=1.71.0-32
libboost_serialization.so=1.71.0-32
libboost_stacktrace_addr2line.so=1.71.0-32
libboost_stacktrace_basic.so=1.71.0-32
libboost_stacktrace_noop.so=1.71.0-32
libboost_system.so=1.71.0-32
libboost_thread.so=1.71.0-32
libboost_timer.so=1.71.0-32
libboost_type_erasure.so=1.71.0-32
libboost_unit_test_framework.so=1.71.0-32
libboost_wave.so=1.71.0-32
libboost_wserialization.so=1.71.0-32

%DEPENDS%
bzip2
zlib
icu
zstd

%OPTDEPENDS%
openmpi: for mpi support

%MAKEDEPENDS%
icu
python
python2
python-numpy
python2-numpy
bzip2
zlib
openmpi
zstd
findutils
In arch each package has a separate file for the metadata. All of these metadata files files are packaged in the "db.tar.gz" metadata file. Once extracted, one can use the grep statement to see which packages have the %PROVIDES% field. My guess is these are packages with the word "lib" in it's name. We could could create a db/doc file, where the lib is the primary key, one field might be the primary package (usually the runtime) and another filed could perhaps be the "development packages" that depend on this runtime.

Edit #3: On second thoughts the file will be smaller if the provids-libs are put into a single filed rather than used as the key but maybe this won't matter much so I'm not sure which way is better.

s243a

#108 Post by s243a »

Regarding the second approach of utilizing the %PROVIDES% filed to identify which packges one needs to rectify the missing libs; I created a thread about this:
"How ppm finds missing libs & Potential Arch32Pup Improvements"

So far the thread just has a trace through the code about how the ppm (puppy package manager) identifies the missing libs. I plan later on to discuss more about implementing this aproach.

I haven't entirely rulled out my other approach (infering missing packages) from the %MAKEDEPENDS% field but I think that using the %PROVIDES% filed will lead to more maintainable code than inferring what runtime libs one needs via the %MAKEDEPENDS% field.

On another note, some runtimes might be large (e.g. QT5), so we might want to have a configuration option somewhere that says whether or not we automatically install missing runtimes. Perhaps this option could be based on the size of the runtime. For some of these runtimes a user might want to load them as sfs when needed.

peebee

#109 Post by peebee »

s243a wrote:For some of these runtimes a user might want to load them as sfs when needed.
Absolutely - the sensible way to do it - I already have a Qt5 sfs for instance....

But no package manager "knows" from their databases anything about deps installed in this way.....but if they are loaded then ldd can confirm - so they shouldn't be loaded by the PM until after an ldd check has been completed.
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

norgo

qt5

#110 Post by norgo »

We could create own qt5 packages containing only needed libs to run Qt5 applications.
I did this for slacko 700 RC3. So the qt5-base package would have a size of approx 8 Mb.
I'm using really a lot of qt5 apps ( smplayer, smtube, merkaartor, audacious, kid3, avidemux, tsmuxer, qhexedit, simplescreenrecorder .....) and that's why such a package is mandatory needed.

rockedge

#111 Post by rockedge »

I am running into a compiling problem. I am using the devx_ScPup_20.01+2.sfs and attempting to build pUTTY the SSH client.
It usually is a straight forward and easy build but I am seeing this error even though I know there is libgtk is present:

'configure' was unable to find any version of the GTK libraries on
your system. Therefore, PuTTY itself and the other GUI utilities will
not be built by the generated Makefile: only the command-line tools
such as puttygen, plink and psftp will be built.
any ideas what is missing?

OscarTalks

#112 Post by OscarTalks »

rockedge wrote:any ideas what is missing?
Could be pkgconfig *.pc files?
Or maybe the DEV symlinks to the shared GTK libs are effectively broken because they are links to real libraries with a different number.
The DEV symlink is usually the one with ".so" and no number at the end and is often located in the devx because that is where it does belong, but with a mismatched devx this might happen. Looking in the build environment should tell you though and you may be able to do workarounds by manually creating the correct DEV symlinks if the devx has the wrong ones.
Oscar in England

s243a

#113 Post by s243a »

People might find it interesting that on Arch32Pup, you can check for missing dpendencies for a specific package using this script:

/usr/local/petget/check_deps_gui.sh
rootfs-packages/check_deps_gui/usr/local/petget/check_deps_gui.sh

I tried it and it works :)

I plan to add a button to it do download the missing packages based on the %PROVIDES% field that the arch repos have as part of their doc/db metadata files.
Last edited by s243a on Fri 06 Mar 2020, 07:40, edited 1 time in total.

s243a

#114 Post by s243a »

Synergy appears to be working. When I installed it, it said that I was missing:

libQt5Widgets.so.5

I installed, kwidgetsaddons-5.67.0 because it said that it was an addon to QtWidgets , so I figured I could get the right lib as on of the dependencies. In the finall report I'm missing a bunch of libs but I don't need these:

double-conversion-3.1.5
kwidgetsaddons-5.67.0
libproxy-0.4.15
md4c-0.4.3
qt5-base-5.14.1
tslib-1.21
xcb-util-image-0.4.0
xcb-util-keysyms-0.4.0
xcb-util-renderutil-0.3.9
xcb-util-wm-0.4.1

Missing Shared Libraries
libfbclient.so.2
libjavascriptcoregtk-4.0.so.18
libmariadb.so.3
libodbc.so.2
libpq.so.5
libpython3.8.so.1.0
libsybdb.so.5

I'm thinking it is good that arch isn't installing all these dependencies automatically. Debian would and as a consequence debian would install a bunch of stuff that I don't need.

s243a

#115 Post by s243a »

delete
Last edited by s243a on Fri 06 Mar 2020, 05:13, edited 1 time in total.

s243a

#116 Post by s243a »

delete
Last edited by s243a on Fri 06 Mar 2020, 05:13, edited 1 time in total.

s243a

#117 Post by s243a »

I thought I was having an issue with the tar command on arch32pup +7 that didn't affect arch32pup+9. However, that said deleting "community.db.tar.gz" from /var/packages fixed this error. The error is only present with the full tar command but the busybox version of tar could extract this file without errors.

busybox tar xf ../community.db.tar.gz
Also with the full version of tar the archive was still extracted (or mostly extracted) but the 0setup script exits without prossesing the doc/db file for community.db.tar.gz since it thinks there is an error. This error is related to the gzip sub process.

On another note, I can't figure out how to extract the archive without calling gzip. Presumably, the tar.gz is a bunch of gzip archives concatenated together into a single file. Or do I have that backwards and it is a bunch of files concatenated together than gzipped? If the former, then I should be able to separate the file into individual gzip archives without calling gzip.

P.S. I should note that I was testing the arch32pup +9 0setup script on arch32pup +7.

As a final note, while I'm thinking that we should perhaps use the busybox version of tar rather than the full version but if we use the full version, we can rather then exiting, only update the entries in the doc/db file that we have successfully extracted rather than replacing the whole doc/db file. Prior to doing this we might want to prompt the user to see if they want to try downloading the file again.

On another note, in the event of such a failed download it is possible that uextract might extract more of the archive than tar. I say this because I notice that uextract shows the error in the middle of the list of files extracted.

s243a

#118 Post by s243a »

s243a wrote:People might find it interesting that on Arch32Pup, you can check for missing dpendencies for a specific package using this script:

/usr/local/petget/check_deps_gui.sh
rootfs-packages/check_deps_gui/usr/local/petget/check_deps_gui.sh

I tried it and it works :)

I plan to add a button to it do download the missing packages based on the %PROVIDES% field that the arch repos have as part of their doc/db metadata files.
I made some progress on this script to install packages based on the missing libs. I used it to test a bug in the ppm (puppy package manager). See:
https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/woof-CE/pull/1772

My script still needs some work (e.g. it tries to install the same package twice). I think the solution here is to first check to make sure the package is not installed before trying to install it.

peebee

#119 Post by peebee »

Delta +10 fixes dvd playing via Gnome-MPlayer

Has anybody tested:
- Cups printing
- Samba remote access
- encrypted savefiles
- scanning

???????
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

watchdog

cups-scanning

#120 Post by watchdog »

Scanning (hp scanner in an all-in-one printer-scanner):

hplip from the dogs (rcrsn51) do not work. Installing hplip by PPM (many packages) it works. There are unresolved dependencies but xsane works for me.

Cups:

in first instance I have an error about /var/spool/cups which I fix putting a script cupsfix in /root/Startup with the following content:

#!/bin/sh
mount -t tmpfs -o size=10M tmpfs /var/spool/cups
/etc/init.d/cups restart &

in second instance "ldd /usr/bin/gs" shows unresolved deps. Reinstalling ghostscript step by step solves the problem but PPM says there are again unresolved deps.
I have installed Brother HL2130 printer by HL-2040foomatic ppd downloaded by openprinting site. It now works.