Go-OpenOffice SFS 3.1.1

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
playdayz

Go-OpenOffice SFS 3.1.1

#1 Post by playdayz »

If anyone is interested I made an sfs of go-openoffice 3.1.1. The hype is that it is faster starting up (it is fast in my experience), lighter weight, more compatible with microsoft office documents, and with a less cluttered interface. There is also controversy: that it is a way for microsoft through Novell to gain leverage in the open source software community (specifically, by using the language "mono" to write scripts or addons). On the third hand, Sun has not been notoriously successful in bringing openoffice along on its own or incorporating code from the community; specifically, all code in Sun OpenOffice must be copyright by Sun. Novell, however, has a more open policy. How many hands are we on now? About the last thing I know is the go version is the one that Ubuntu includes.

Go-OpenOffice 3.1.1 in sfs4 format for Puppy 4.3 and later-> http://www.diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy400/go-00432.sfs 170MB
md5sum - 63c6a76d95a806c4c8ca9fc802585b35

Dingo has prepared a version in sfs3 format for Puppy 3.x.x-4.2.x series that you can download here
http://puppylover.netsons.org/dokupuppy ... uite:go-oo

This is No frills. I made it for myself so there are no menu entries or other conveniences. The desktop files for each program are in /opt/openoffice.org3/share/xdg, and you can drag them to the desktop for convenience. To use it, download it and place it in /mnt/home, then go to Menu -> System -> Bootmanager configure bootup -> Choose which extra SSF... and Add it to the Right Side. Then, next boot, it should be there in /opt so you can click the desktop files to run the programs. I made it from the version distributed at http://www.go-oo.org/. I used the script available there to download the rpm files and then used a loop with unrpm to unpack them all, then used mksquashfs to make the sfs. I'll be testing but I would appreciate it if anyone who tried it could let me know if there was a problem. Thank you.
Last edited by playdayz on Sat 31 Oct 2009, 19:23, edited 2 times in total.

raffy

sfs4?

#2 Post by raffy »

May I guess that it is usable only in Puppy Linux 4.3.0/4.3.1? That is, sfs4 format?

Thanks for your efforts!
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

playdayz

#3 Post by playdayz »

Yes, Raffy, I meant to mention that; I do recall it saying sfs4 when it made the file. actually I do not know how to tell mksquashfs to make an sfs3 or I would have--it would seem that would be better for wider use. I have the folder prepared so it would be easy to make an sfs3 with just a little advice.

Dingo

Go-OpenOffice SFS 3.1.1 sfs3 for Puppy 3.01 - 4.2.x

#4 Post by Dingo »

playdayz wrote:actually I do not know how to tell mksquashfs to make an sfs3 or
In Puppy 4.3.x Barryk has symlinked mksquashfs to mksquashfs4 and in same directory

/usr/sbin/

you can find mksquashfs3

Anyway, Yesterday I have already packaged a version in sfs3 format for Puppy 3.x.x-4.2.x series you can download here:
replace .co.cc with .info to get access to stuff I posted in forum
dropbox 2GB free
OpenOffice for Puppy Linux

playdayz

#5 Post by playdayz »

you're the man dingo, or should i say, you're the dog, thanks for the instruction and the sfs3
Last edited by playdayz on Sun 13 Dec 2009, 03:19, edited 1 time in total.

Michalis

#6 Post by Michalis »

Hello playdayz I checked go-openoffice in my slow computer as we had talk about.

My opinion is that it is faster than open-office but not any huge difference, just a bit but obvious. It is also very usable as based on open office of course. For example all the greek documents I loaded was rendering perfect, didn't even had to change the fonts to dejavu as it was default, I could also write in greek with accents out of the box when in softmaker I couldn't.

From the other hand softmaker is still by far faster and less resource demanding even from go-openoffice. Consider that when I loaded the huge .xls file I had referenced to in go-openoffice it used 205Mbytes of ram, a big amount.

I can't really found the difference between the normal open-office and go-openoffice except that it is repackaged from Novell (grrrr M$). I checked what's in the package and saw java and python, nightmare it was like walking in the valley of bloatware and slow languages :evil: Still it was functioning better than plane open-office.

For the time being this is the suite I'm gonna keep using and thank you very much that you packaged it. Even that the search for my holy-grail office suite continues.

Has anybody used Ibm lotus symphony? I found it yesterday and I'm thinking to check it out. Does it worth it? Haven't used lotus since the middle of '90s. The only think that I saw in the website and l don't like it is "limitations of switching between languages: You can switch from English to any other supported language. But you can only switch from one non-English language to another within the same group" and in my case greek and spanish are in different groups.

About the proprietary comment I got it as the most important because is something that I'm looking for. Even that in case where the open solution is worthless I'm willing to use the proprietary one.

Re-Edit: I found this in the web-site "Lotus Symphony leverages OpenOffice.org code with the Eclipse framework, so they are different in User Interface, Development Toolkit, mechanism of Plug-ins etc." as also different options. So another open-office clone.

Dingo

#7 Post by Dingo »

Michalis wrote:I can't really found the difference between the normal open-office and go-openoffice .
There are many important differences from OpenOffice, most valuable is the

*SVG IMPORT*

almost perfect for monochromatic SVG, I use Go-OO to import SVG and export to EMF or WMF so I can use in OpenOffice

SVG import in OpenOffice is very problematic at this moment

wuwei

missing dictionary

#8 Post by wuwei »

Thanks playdayz.

I tried the sfs3 version in 421 and it works fine, except for one strange quirk:
When opening Writer a message comes up and reports "dict-fr.oxt does not exist". When opening Writer again, it opens without this message. Installing the French dictionary does not help any.

Any ideas how and where to get rid of this annoyance?

hondasid

#9 Post by hondasid »

Just wanted to say that I have used this on about 10 different installs and they all work great sfs3 and 4. Have had it loaded on 412 to dpupbeta4 and everything in between. And for some reason, I got menu items. not complaining though, I was going to add them myself. Thank you very much and I will actually be including this in my next puplet, SidPup.
Instead of looking out Windows, I'm playing with my Puppy.

ppenguin

#10 Post by ppenguin »

I placed the sfs file into mnt/home/
but when I open up BootManager and click
"Choose which extra SFS files to lead at bootup"
I got the error ".... there are no SFS files in directory /mnt/home ..."

But there's 2 sfs files in my /mnt/home, pup-431.sfs and go-00432.sfs

Am I doing anything wrong?

Dingo

#11 Post by Dingo »

you need to append -431 to filename like
go-00432-431.sfs
dropbox 2GB free

xman

#12 Post by xman »

Thanks Dingo for fast starting Gooo! I breathed Ecomoney's oxygen, but updated it about five times to worse oo ones before I find your Gooo.sfs. :D
playdayz wrote:Dingo has prepared a version in sfs3 format for Puppy 3.x.x-4.2.x series that you can download here

I found two sfs files from /mnt/home and their exact names are: pup-431.sfs and go-oo-3.1.1-sfs3.sfs. So, I use sfs3 in Puppy 4.31-2.6.25.16. Is it dangerous?
playdayz wrote:The desktop files for each program are in /opt/openoffice.org3/share/xdg, and you can drag them to the desktop for convenience.
The best way to start Gooo is to use soffice (from /opt/openoffice.org3/program/) as desktop file. This soffice file opens OpenOffice.org desktop allowing you to choose or manage everything you can ever imagine.

Dingo

#13 Post by Dingo »

It is a question of kernel: with 2.6.25.xx I remember you can use sfs version3, with kernel higher than 2.6.28.xx I remember you must use
dropbox 2GB free

charlie6

#14 Post by charlie6 »

Hi Dingo,
many thanks for those sfs's !
I installed the go-0432.sfs on puppy431 frugal (...of course!)...indeed start is faster than the classic version...nice!
To get the french user interface I also loaded on the i586 repo: except the «help» archive beause it is too big

Code: Select all

ooobasis3.1-fr-3.1.1-9420.i586.rpm
ooobasis3.1-fr-binfilter-3.1.1-9420.i586.rpm
openoffice.org3-fr-3.1.1-9420.i586.rpm
ooobasis3.1-fr-res-3.1.1-9420.i586.rpm
and unrpm'ed them using

unrpm.pet
(I am not linux expert...maybe some of these rpm are useless..? but it seems working)

I also draged
/opt/openoffice.org3/program/soffice.bin
onto the desktop to get some conveniences to start go-OpenOffice....and placed the attached OpenOffice icon...:-))

I could also open old .wps (microsoft Works) documents (but not (yet...? maybe next issue ?) .wks nor .wdb files )

Cheers! Charlie
Attachments
OOfficon.png
OpenOffice icon for soffice.bin
(4.05 KiB) Downloaded 8814 times

mikeb

#15 Post by mikeb »

Oh man this is amazing.
The acid test was a 50MB ppt file.
Basically go office handled it using 50% less ram which on this 256MB machine made several magnitudes of difference in term of speed...indeed I saw the ram cleanup on my monitors. And as a bonus the rendering was spot on. This made the difference between embarrasing and useable...just in time for my meeting. :)
I guess microsoft must be giving some format clues but whatever the reason this rocks. I guess no java is included and its a no frills version but I would finish this off to make the definitive open office package for puppy.
ps it does not nag when opening either.

Tested on puppy 4.12 and highly recommended

mike

ps give it something to chew on...thats when the difference shows up

mikeb

#16 Post by mikeb »

For those who pulled out their remaining hair trying to get a british english dictionary that is supposed to be but often isn't included and is not available from OO site and if you like you thesarus in british english too then go here and be relieved of the stress
http://www.weeklywhinge.com/?p=69

phew

mike

jduffy

Nice...

#17 Post by jduffy »

I actually got this to work. I found some Office icons on line and installed a US dictionary. Fun stuff.

I'm new as all get out to Puppy Linux but I'm getting the hang of it.

I've been looking for a way to edit the Menu so I can make a link to Office but no luck yet.

charlie6

#18 Post by charlie6 »

Hi,
on latest puppy 431 small frugal instal:
Go-Openoffice ( go-00432.sfs ) writer freezes when opening the attached .doc (tar.gz compressed...to 811K...do not kow if it is to big?) document. This has been reproduced also on 2 different installations of go-oo-3.1.1-sfs3.sfs on puppy4.1.2 (using the sfs3 version). As also with another .doc file written on a different PC.

Problem: opening the attached fileX.doc causes Go-Openoffice to freeze. Same behaviour with other .doc files.
I need to kill the process and also to open PProcess to end swriter.
Installing java jre1.6.0.17 does not help.

(those .doc files are produced from microsoft office suite - no problem reading them on windows XP).
Abiword can open them even if the characters looks «quirky» - using the preview gets it ...readable!

This does not happen with an earlier version of OpenOffice (i.e. OO3-DE-US-FR-NL-IT_411.sfs ): the attached document gets opened normaly.

Thanks for any help.

Cheers, Charlie

Here are the comments from the console (just the beginning!)

# soffice
javaldx: Could not find a Java Runtime Environment! 
# *** glibc detected *** /opt/openoffice.org3/program/soffice.bin: malloc(): mem                                                              ory corruption: 0x08d13798 ***
======= Backtrace: =========
/lib/libc.so.6[0xb7d6840e]
/lib/libc.so.6[0xb7d69db9]
/lib/libc.so.6(__libc_malloc+0x75)[0xb7d6b174]
/opt/openoffice.org3/program/../basis-link/ure-link/lib/libuno_sal.so.3(rtl_allo                                                              cateMemory+0x1a)[0xb7f7a6b6]
/opt/openoffice.org3/program/soffice.bin(__gxx_personality_v0+0x1f5)[0x8048dcd]
/opt/openoffice.org3/program/soffice.bin(_Znaj+0x26)[0x8048e56]
/opt/openoffice.org3/program/../basis-link/program/libsvlli.so[0xb77c8c77]
/opt/openoffice.org/basis3.1/program/libmswordli.so[0xadf09ce2]
/opt/openoffice.org/basis3.1/program/libmswordli.so[0xadf0ff28]
/opt/openoffice.org/basis3.1/program/libmswordli.so[0xadf10527]
/opt/openoffice.org/basis3.1/program/libmswordli.so[0xadf106f5]
/opt/openoffice.org/basis3.1/program/libmswordli.so[0xadf13bf0]

mikeb

#19 Post by mikeb »

Yes confirmed this is a problem.
I also tested on windows with the same version of Go Office and the document opened normally.
I re-saved from there under another name and Go Office on puppy still crashed with that.
My first thought was of a locale/language/unicode problem.(when opened said language unknown)
Its not a java problem...I tested with and without.

Since this sfs was apparently built direct from the Go Office linux package perhaps a they need informing along with a copy of the file as this is quite a serious issue.

Abiword did open it but its handling and doc output is not very standard..ie document only but no file header/footers....the header of the document from GO is the same as the original.

mike

mikeb

#20 Post by mikeb »

In addition I tried another french language document and it opened ok.
The test document had language unknown...could be a factor

mike