[solved] devx_400.sfs installed, not loaded?

Booting, installing, newbie
Alex Johnson

[solved] devx_400.sfs installed, not loaded?

#1 Post by Alex Johnson »

I wanted to have gcc and all the necessary dev files so I downloaded devx_400.sfs. It is here, in my / (root, not to be confused with /root):
-rwx------ 1 root root 81260544 2008-07-31 20:56 devx_400.sfs

I rebooted but it wasn't loaded. What I read said that if I have a full install (I have a dedicated ext3 partition) then all I need to do is save the file in / and reboot. Why do I not have access to gcc after doing that?
Last edited by Alex Johnson on Sat 02 Aug 2008, 19:54, edited 1 time in total.

alcy

#2 Post by alcy »

I don't know where you read that, but here's the official guide and what you have done is the case for multisession cd/dvd procedure:

http://www.puppylinux.com/development/compileapps.htm

Scroll down the page for the full install part.

Basically, do this :

1. Copy the devx_400.sfs into /root.

Click on the devx_400.sfs icon , you'll get a message that it has been mounted successfully, or rather you *should* get the message.

2. At the console , type :

Code: Select all

cp -a --remove-destination mntpt/* /mnt/hda2/

and then :

sync
Here, mntpt refers to the mount point for the sfs, which would be something like /mnt/+root+devx_400.sfs. hda2 refers to the name of the partition you have installed puppy to. It could be hda<insert the partition number here> or hdc<insert the partition number here> or just / , if puppy is the only OS installed on the whole hard disk .

3. Click on the devx_400.sfs icon again. You should get a message that it has been unmounted.

4. Reboot and you can start compiling !

Alex Johnson

#3 Post by Alex Johnson »

This solved it. FYI, manual sync is not needed since linux must sync prior to unmounting a filesystem, and / is unmounted during shutdown. Maybe shutdown isn't required, but it's fast enough with Puppy!

algol1958

#4 Post by algol1958 »

I think the gcc compiler is installed after doing all the things described in this post. I see the +devx_400.sfs directory in the root after a long time doing cp -a -- ..... . but starting rxvt and gcc test.c -o test brings a bash: gcc: command not found.
I will do this, because I want to install maxima, a free math program. Is this possible with puppy and the gcc compiler?
thanks for the help
jm

muggins

#5 Post by muggins »

algol1958,

sounds like it hasn't copied properly...(or worse, copied to the wrong location!). If you click on the devx_400.sfs it should mount at /mnt/+devx_400.sfs. Then:

cp -a /mnt/+devx_400.sfs/* /

algol1958

#6 Post by algol1958 »

O.K. I think I have some more problems.
first, where can download the devx_400.sfs. I have it from
http://puppylinux.org/wiki/archives/old ... /compiling
the first time, when clicked on on the devx_400.sfs, it works fine. I've got the box where I could selected where to save the file.
unfortunately, I killed the download. shit happens. now when I try to get the file I get this:

�#>�:���(�
���.��?��q�_IU�* �r^��f�j%g����A�X�"������v�&�G���I > /f;އ���'�׹�
Lʷy<ښj^l5��b�V�a�i�Ŧ���}?q{~d5�����3� �µ���C:
��.�U�}p;�+�V@ee�Ѷ��F�ֵ��O�%j����E]l�k�`�,xs5�d�!ï��?ɕ�G.�$�֦v���Ei��
�OU�l�)�b�2\ʢ$�{=!��L�(�(�M}�&�_�8�R�Ȏh�u���h�H�3�E�ܘ�;P ��z�w�%i��$�*W�Tڎ厃r'��@H����O^�&.oP)�Yp�l&
���2�:ಷ����K���k����Oy1�%,"&��6�e}�p�R�w���K��X�r�C�'X�V!Iy���a(q�����J�lK�Q.Y�Q*���LL/�k�P��f�]�#�AUa�?̾�DLp��0P�'�w(:�c����P8&��=Zڦv=��\JFy�� �[���� ��5��q�����YUnUe�\���ъS��j���f<�Z�L�߳ʹKb!��wx��T�\��9�;f�m�B��Z�G�g��%�2����ҼC

algol1958

#7 Post by algol1958 »

the last problem isn't a problem much longer. I took the latest devx sfs∞ not the devx file for Puppy 4.00∞
now I'll try it again.
see you later:-)
jm

muggins

#8 Post by muggins »

This is a known problem where, with certain sites, the browser has problems with
the file mime type. Solution, for a small file is, as you mention, right-click
& Save Link Target As....

But for any reasonably large file, I would use a resumable downloader, like commandline wget:

wget -c http://ftp.nluug.nl/ftp/pub/os/Linux/distr/puppylinux/sfs_modules-4/devx_400.sfs
Then, when download is completed, run:

md5sum devx_400.sfs
and compare it with the contents of devx_400.sfs.md5.txt

algol1958

#9 Post by algol1958 »

hi muggins,
this is great. I tried it on an old compac notebook. All things went like described. Only the example test.c file failed.
Now I'm downloading the devx_400.sfs with wget on my very old toshiba satellite notebook.It's really great:-) thanks for the help. next questions, compiling the test.c, will come with a new thread.
jm