PupBeGone-Package Remover for Built-In Unleashed Packages

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
Pizzasgood

#31 Post by Pizzasgood »

UPDATE: I uploaded version 1.4. It has a refined version of the timeout-type deal from 1.3, along with the ability to use the package list rather than downloading each package. Instead, it downloads the list from the pupget repository and uses that instead. That means you only need an internet connection when you first install it.

It offers the ability to use the old method of download each package also. The main reason for this is lists for all versions of Puppy are not in the repo. The packages in there may also be changed in those cases, but they may still be close.

If you use the old method and want to change, or if you upgrade Puppy, you can right-click the rox-app to (re)download the list. This is important when Puppy upgrades to keep the list up-to-date.

(Psst... If you're still looking for the link to the new version, it's in the first post...)
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

Pizzasgood

#32 Post by Pizzasgood »

I've uploaded version 1.5. This one is a PETget. It has a dependency on the 0pkgs_db file. That is what contains the data it needs to uninstall things. If you upgrade your Puppy to a newer version, you should also update that dependency for best results. Just use PETget, it's easy.

pupbegone-1.5.pet

Warning: I have not extensively tested this on Puppy 2.14. It installed and uninstalled correctly for me, but your results may differer. Also, it has not been updated to match PETget's speed and looks. I may do that in the future, but it will basically mean starting from scratch, so it's not high on my to do list.

For users of older Puppies:
This version will not work quite right on older Puppies than 2.14. Use 1.4 for them. You will also need to choose "old method" when using 1.4 on a version older than Puppy 2.13, unless I am mistaken. This is because Barry doesn't keep the old package lists. If you have the 0pkgs_db file for your version of Puppy, you can install that and use the new method. You might need to edit /root/my-roxapps/PupBeGone/method to say false rather than true to enable it.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]

Pizzasgood

#33 Post by Pizzasgood »

WARNING: PupBeGone is broken, and has been for the last couple versions. Version 1.4 should work with the "old method" up through Puppy 2.13. I'll fix this by the 24th.

iatros

PuppzBeGone does not remove Seamonkey

#34 Post by iatros »

Hi Pizzasgood

I want to free some precious space on my USB-Drive and delete Seamonkey to install Firefox instead.

I run pupbegone, it works a long time then says 'all done' - but nothing happened [puppy 2.14 and pupbegone 2.15].

Thanks for any help!

Martin

Pizzasgood

#35 Post by Pizzasgood »

Pizzasgood wrote:WARNING: PupBeGone is broken, and has been for the last couple versions. Version 1.4 should work with the "old method" up through Puppy 2.13. I'll fix this by the 24th.
I'm running a little behind, sorry :oops: . I have a commandline-only demo of the new version (renamed PET-Be-Gone) uploaded in the Cutting Edge section of the forum. I'll hopefully have a GUI for it set up by Sunday night. It depends on how long my homework assignments take.

iatros

#36 Post by iatros »

no problem, I'll be patient (I *hate* command lines!)
best regards from Switzerland
Martin

Pizzasgood

#37 Post by Pizzasgood »

I love the Linux commandline. The Windows one is just plain icky, but the Linux one is 1337. And copying large numbers of files is much faster with it than with Rox.

Anyways, I finished the GUI. Prepare to stand in awe of...
PET-Be-Gone (currently v0.1)

This one doesn't even have a CLI option. Someday I'll add one. The demo I posted works fine though. The only detail it's missing is running fixmenus at the end, which the GUI version does. Otherwise, the GUI just provides a nice method of choosing packages, and the ability to remove many in sequence (it is doable through a for loop on the commandline though).

klhrevolutionist

#38 Post by klhrevolutionist »

I remember trying this way back when.. It is good to see you have time to start hacking on it again. I am curious as to whether or not you have kept the 2-paned gui or if you have progressed enough to have a single pane window similar to that of windows ?

Thanks for your contributions
Heaven is on the way, until then let's get the truth out!

Pizzasgood

#39 Post by Pizzasgood »

I kept the 2-paned PET/Pupget look, because it keeps better unity. People already use the 2-panes for installing and uninstalling aftermarket stuff, so I figure using it for removing built-in stuff would be a good idea.

I also replaced all the ugly pop-ups (except for the error messages) with yaf-splash windows, like in PETget. Since it uses 0pkgs_db, it doesn't have to prompt for which mirror to use, and it all goes pretty fast. Though I haven't had a chance to test it on older hardware yet.

The demo version could easily be used by another frontend, if someone wanted a different interface. The part that does the actual work is unchanged. That version even edits the deadpackages.txt and livepackages.txt files. It just doesn't run fixmenus or have a gui.

I'm not very experienced with doing GUIs yet, but I have a couple projects in mind that will require learning. So next time I update PET-Be-Gone, I might alter it to another design. But I want to maintain the ability to select multiple packages in one session, without having 300+ checkboxes (there are many many packages). Short of a multi-paged setup, the buildlist widget seems like the best option for that. It lets you see the options you removed, so you can put them back. It separates them from the rest, so you can distinguish them easily. It's hard to accidentally select a package (unlike the old PupGet, where you could click multiple options then hit "add" or "remove", newer ones only do one per time).

But my mind remains open if you have a better idea. Otherwise, I'll probably stick with buildlist unless something drifts in when I'm not looking. :wink:
Thanks for your contributions
De nada. I do it for fun, mostly. :)