HPLIP pet: How to upload ? (SOLVED)

Using applications, configuring, problems
lluamco

HPLIP pet: How to upload ? (SOLVED)

#1 Post by lluamco »

Hello,
I have recently managed to compile HPLIP with all needed dependencies,
including xsane (scanning) for puppy linux 2.17 (and also functional for
2.16, I guess). I would like to make it available for others, but I do not know how. The file is huge, ~45MB.
I request help and instructions for uploading it. Owners of HP printers can
be interested in testing and, hopefully, using it.
Cheers,
Ll.
Last edited by lluamco on Thu 06 Sep 2007, 08:59, edited 1 time in total.

raffy

mooload

#2 Post by raffy »

Try http://mooload.com - after it's tested, am sure someone would pick it up for the Puppy repositories.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

lluamco

#3 Post by lluamco »

Thanks Raffy,
I have tried mooload.com as you suggested. However, once the file was uploaded, the link to it given by the server does not work.
I can try it again later, or maybe try another server.
Cheers

lluamco

#4 Post by lluamco »

Finally I have uploaded the file
hplip_for_puppy_217-1.7.4a-i486.pet at

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=PDJXXU95

The file contains hplip-1.7.4a, xsane0.994, python2.5, pyqt, etc.
It works for me after a fresh puppy-2.17 install.
Take into account that I am not a programmer, so I apologize for
any inconveniences it may cause...

Ll

mbutts
Location: sitn on an iceburg waiting for my next meal to swim by.

#5 Post by mbutts »

Well I downloaded the file and attempted to install on a fresh Puppy 2.16
with EZPup for eye candy. It complained about not having Cups installed so I started over with a fresh Puppy 2.16 with no EZPup and this is the naughty message it gave me about not having enough room to uncompress.

http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/6839/toosmallop5.png
Do I need to increase my personal storage size even further? I don't normally install such large Pets. Am I missing something simple to do? Other than that, the Pet did install fine the first time (took about as long as EZPup to install so plan on getting a fresh cup of your favorite libation and don't worry that something has locked up, it's just doing a lot of stuff). Looking forward to trying it out and seeing how things work with it.
I am running 512 meg memory on a 1 ghz laptop btw.
Penguin, the OTHER white meat.
[url=http://www.puppyos.com][img]http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/5563/yxudnslbsx1jpglx3.png[/img][/url][img]http://i18.tinypic.com/2wd7o80.gif[/img]

lluamco

#6 Post by lluamco »

1. I forgot that cups is not installed in Puppy 2.16. It is needed. Use Puppy 2.17, which is included by default, or install it in Puppy 2.16.

2. The personal storage file must be definitely increased. Try it until
it does not complain about that.

3. The installation can take quite a long time. It should install and let you configure your printer even before all dependencies are checked.

Billwho?
Trialing 4.20

Tested in 215CE Alpha

#7 Post by Billwho? »

I have just successfully tested this dotpet in a fresh 2.15 CE Alpha run from a live CD. As the Alpha was based on 2.14 I believe it will also work in 2.14.

The steps I needed to follow were :
1/ Download and install cups_install_v0.3.pup.
2/ Download hplip_for_puppy_217-1.7.4a-i486.pet . If like me you have problems with downloads stopping before they are complete I suggest using wget.

Code: Select all

wget -c http://www58.megaupload.com/files/54ed335d89fb9796d5511ae36dd2f566/hplip_for_puppy_217-1.7.4a-i486.pet
3/ Install hplip_for_puppy_217-1.7.4a-i486.pet using the Puppy Package Manager. ( If you get complaints about not having enough room resize your pup_save file and try again until you succeed.)
4/ Download and install libgphoto-2.1.6.pet with the Puppy Package Manager.
5/ Open /etc/sane.d/dll.conf as text and edit it by removing the # from the last line. You may also have to add an extra line. The last two lines on my system read

hpoj
hpaio
6/ Reboot Puppy if did not restart after installing libgphoto-2.1.6.pet

Printing and scanning will now work as well as the HPLIP toolbox being available

/usr/local/share/hplip/toolbox
Edited to correct incorrect code mentioned further down by SimplyFlower
Last edited by Billwho? on Sat 08 Sep 2007, 07:22, edited 1 time in total.
Linux = Learning through doing :shock: :? :D
The learning curve may be steep but there is a light at the end of the tunnel.
You just have to pass the occasional oncoming train to get there.

SimplyFlower

Re: Tested in 215CE Alpha

#8 Post by SimplyFlower »

lluamco, great job! I just installed it on Puppy Linux 2.15CE Final following Billwho?'s instructions. My printer is a HP Photosmart C3180 which prints and scans with a usb connection without a hitch. The HP Toolbox works perfectly.

There is only one error I found. In the directory /usr/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins there is a symlink for xscanimage that is incorrect. The symlink should be to the file /usr/local/bin/xscanimage instead of /usr/bin/xscanimage since it doesn't exist there. Easily corrected. :wink:

Billwho?, thanks for the wonderful step by step instructions.
Billwho? wrote: Printing and scanning will now work as well as the HPLIP toolbox being available

/usr/share/hplip/toolbox
The above should have read:

Once again, thank you, lluamco and Billwho? for your excellent work! :D

Now off to set up my other computer with a remote connection...
[color=#8B0AE0]-- [i][size=150]SimplyFlower[/size][/i][/color]
[size=25]Puppy Linux 2.15CE Final, Frugal w/pup_save.2fs file; Dell w/ Intel Celeron 1.1 GHZ, 512 MB RAM[/size]
[color=#8B0AE0][url=http://my.care2.com/simplyflower]Care2[/url][/color]

Billwho?
Trialing 4.20

Re: Tested in 215CE Alpha

#9 Post by Billwho? »

SimplyFlower wrote:The above should have read:

Oops :oops: Good catch SimplyFlower I nearly stuffed up all the good work there.
Seems I checked the location while in my old pup_save that uses a modified slackware copy of HPLIP.
Seems slackware puts it in a different place.

SimplyFlower

#10 Post by SimplyFlower »

lluamco, I was just wondering if maybe a tar.gz file would be better with an install and post install script (or possibly written as one script). The following is my reasoning:

I had first made a backup of my current pup_save.2fs file which was originally 1 GB with 800-900 MB free. When I went to install your .pet package, I had to increase my pup_save file until it was almost 2 GB before it would install. Of course, after the installation, I had 1.7 GB left of free space. I understand the ease of using a .pet package, but I was under the impression it is better not to have a pup_save file larger than 1 GB (this may have changed). The pup_save file can't be reduced after it is enlarged.

After deciding I wanted to keep my pup_save file with it's 1 GB size, I restored my backup. I then opened the .pet package and manually moved the files over to their proper locations (that's how I noticed the error with the symlink). I then ran your post install script.

Everything worked perfectly just as it did when installing the .pet. Except this time, my pup_save file stayed at the 1 GB size. After installation, I have 650 MB free so I can really see how large this package is. It does require a lot of temporary space for installing the .pet package that isn't required when manually installing.

The disadvantage was the time it took. I'm not a computer guru, but I do experiment sometimes and am still learning. That being said, I don't know if an install script could be written that would automatically move the files to their proper locations and not use a lot of temporary storage. Just a thought...

As a footnote, since I was already taking the time for the manual installation, I also created a HP-Toolbox.desktop file so that I could have a menu entry. This is very useful since I don't like a lot of icons sitting on my desktop. :wink:

As I previously stated in my earlier post, thank you for such a great .pet. It could be that this suggestion isn't even feasible or worth the time and effort. This is just my 2 cents worth. Anyone is welcome to agree or disagree.
[size=25]Puppy Linux 2.15CE Final, Frugal w/pup_save.2fs file; Dell w/ Intel Celeron 1.1 GHZ, 512 MB RAM[/size]

Billwho?
Trialing 4.20

Tested in 2.10Pro

#11 Post by Billwho? »

I have now also tested the dotpet in a fresh 2.10 PRO. While it is not quite the same as 2.15CE, it is still fairly simple.
From comments I read in one of the files needed this should work for any version between 2.10 and 2.12, for version 2.13 and above see my earlier post regarding 2.15 Alpha.
I don't know about versions earlier than 2.10 at this stage except that there seem to be a lot more dependencies needed by 2.01 (am still in the process of checking that version).

The files needed are:
1/ hplip_for_puppy_217-1.7.4a-i486.pet (obviously :lol: ) available here
or
If like me you have problems with downloads stopping before they are complete I suggest using wget.

wget -c http://www58.megaupload.com/files/54ed335d89fb9796d5511ae36dd2f566/hplip_for_puppy_217-1.7.4a-i486.pet

2/ For versions other than 2.10 Pro the cups_install_v0.3.pup may also be needed from here

3/ truncate.bk1.tar.gz available here

4/ libGLU.so.1.tar.gz (these libraries where copied from 2.15 Alpha)

5/ pet2tgz.gz

Once you have downloaded the necessary files do the following:
1/ Move pet2tgz.gz to /usr/bin and unzip the file

gunzip pet2tgz.gz
2/ Install truncate.bk1.tar.gz as an alien package with the pupget package manager
3/ Install libGLU.so.1.tar.gz as an alien package with the pupget package manager
4/ Reboot Puppy
5/ Open a terminal in the directory where you have saved hplip_for_puppy_217-1.7.4a-i486.pet and convert it to .tar.gz format

pet2tgz hplip_for_puppy_217-1.7.4a-i486.pet
6/ Turn on your printer
7/ Install the cups dotpup.(In 2.10 Pro click on the "Setup Printer" icon on the desktop. In other versions click on the downloaded dotpup.)
8/ Close the web browser that was opened
9/ Click "OK" to close the message box that was open by the dotpup
10/ Install the newly created file hplip_for_puppy_217-1.7.4a-i486.tar.gz as an alien package with the pupget package manager
11/ Configure your printer in the wizard that opens (I did not try to print a test page as my printer was running low on ink)
12/ The toolbox can be opened in a terminal

13/ The Xsane scanning front end can be opened in a terminal

xsane
Attachments
pet2tgz.gz
(675 Bytes) Downloaded 1014 times

lluamco

#12 Post by lluamco »

Thanks Billwho? for testing and porting the hplip pet to previous puppy versions.

SimplyFlower: You are right that the pet installation requires quite a lot of space. I am not an expert and do not know the exact reason for that. The great advantage of the pet is that it can be easily uninstalled using the pet manager.
As far as the tar.gz package, the pet already contains it. In fact, it can be retreived using the pet2tgz tool. Then, the package can be copied to the / directory and extracted from there ( tar zxvf hplip....tar.gz). The last step for the installation is to run the postinstall program: (sh pinstall.sh). If you follow this procedure, the needed space is much less, as you have checked.
The disadvantage is that I do not know an esay way to uninstall it.
Hope it helps

Eastern Counties

#13 Post by Eastern Counties »

Jumping back to simply Flower's message:

"As a footnote, since I was already taking the time for the manual installation, I also created a HP-Toolbox.desktop file so that I could have a menu entry. This is very useful since I don't like a lot of icons sitting on my desktop."

How do you create menu entries instead of desktop icons?

Thanks to all for this thread.

John

Billwho?
Trialing 4.20

2.01 install problem

#14 Post by Billwho? »

I believe that I have found all the missing libraries needed for HPLIP to be installed into Puppy 2.01. In fact the configuration wizard starts while the package manager is still running its dependency checks but freezes after I have chosen my printer and clicked on "next". If I click on "cancel" now the wizard closes and the dependencies check completes with a result of no missing dependencies.
Restarting the wizard in a terminal

/usr/local/share/hplip/setup
gives the following result in the terminal when the wizard freezes at the same point as earlier.

sh-3.00# /usr/local/share/hplip/setup

HP Linux Imaging and Printing System (ver. 1.7.4a)
Printer/Fax Setup Utility ver. 4.5

Copyright (c) 2001-7 Hewlett-Packard Development Company, LP
This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
This is free software, and you are welcome to distribute it
under certain conditions. See COPYING file for more details.

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/share/hplip/ui/setupform.py", line 214, in showPage
    self.updatePPDPage()
  File "/usr/local/share/hplip/ui/setupform.py", line 476, in updatePPDPage
    ppds = cups.getSystemPPDs()
  File "/usr/local/share/hplip/prnt/cups.py", line 194, in getSystemPPDs
    major, minor, patch = getVersionTuple()
  File "/usr/local/share/hplip/prnt/cups.py", line 406, in getVersionTuple
    return cupsext.getVersionTuple()
NameError: global name 'cupsext' is not defined 
Not being up to speed on any form of scripting and especially not python I am at a loss what to do next. Any help will be appreciated.

Eastern Counties if you are using jwm as your window manager open the hidden file /root/.jwmrc and you should be able to add an entry there read the other entries to get an idea of the correct syntax etc.

SimplyFlower follow the instructions above to convert the dotpet to tgz format and then you should be able to install it as an alien package which will register it in the package manager allowing it to be removed later if you want.

lluamco

Re: 2.01 install problem

#15 Post by lluamco »

Billwho? wrote:Not being up to speed on any form of scripting and especially not python I am at a loss what to do next. Any help will be appreciated.
You could try running hp-setup with the debug option turned on:

/usr/local/share/hplip/setup -g

It may give additional information.

SimplyFlower

#16 Post by SimplyFlower »

Eastern Counties wrote:Jumping back to simply Flower's message:

"As a footnote, since I was already taking the time for the manual installation, I also created a HP-Toolbox.desktop file so that I could have a menu entry. This is very useful since I don't like a lot of icons sitting on my desktop."

How do you create menu entries instead of desktop icons?

Thanks to all for this thread.

John
The following is the easiest way I found to create menu entries:

In the directory /usr/share/applications are all the .desktop files for the menu. Just right click on any one of them and choose copy and rename the copy to HP-toolbox.desktop. (I chose to copy Xsane-image-scanner.desktop as my template.)

Then right click on your newly created HP-toolbox.desktop file and select 'open as text.'

My HP-toolbox.desktop file reads as:

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=HP-Toolbox
Icon=gnome-default-printer.xpm
Comment=Hewitt Packard printer management
Exec=hp-toolbox
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Categories=Graphics;Utilities;Printer
GenericName=HP-Toolbox
Now click to save. You may have to run in a terminal:

fixmenus
for the new entry to show in your menu. (It should show up under the Graphic heading.)

Note: You can choose whatever icon you want or none at all. I revised gnome-default-printer.png for my .xpm icon.

Hope this helps. :wink:

Billwho? wrote:SimplyFlower follow the instructions above to convert the dotpet to tgz format and then you should be able to install it as an alien package which will register it in the package manager allowing it to be removed later if you want.
Please forgive my stupidity, but how do you install an alien package? Do you use the Puppy-Software-Installer or Pet-Get? I've always just manually added the package to the alienpackages.txt file and added a whatever-package-name.file in the directory /root/.packages to get a package to register with Pet-Get. (I know it's the hard way! I've just never figured out how to install alien packages, e.g., .tar.gz, .tgz, .deb.)

Billwho?
Trialing 4.20

#17 Post by Billwho? »

SimplyFlower wrote:Please forgive my stupidity, but how do you install an alien package? Do you use the Puppy-Software-Installer or Pet-Get? I've always just manually added the package to the alienpackages.txt file and added a whatever-package-name.file in the directory /root/.packages to get a package to register with Pet-Get. (I know it's the hard way! I've just never figured out how to install alien packages, e.g., .tar.gz, .tgz, .deb.)
Not stupidity at all. I've just been around here long enough to forget that not everyone knows what an alien package is, or how to install one.
Alien packages are installed with Pet-Get ( I'm still working in 2.15 so things may have changed slightly , but this is how I do it )

1/ Open Pet-Get (Click on the "install" icon then on the package icon in the top section of the window that opens)
2/Click on the second (small ) package icon in the new window that opens.
3/Use the left hand section of the next window to navigate to the directory where the alien package has been saved.
4/ Use the right hand section of the same window to select the alien package.
5/ Click "OK"
6/ The Pet-Get package manager will now install the package and check for missing dependencies.
lluamco wrote:You could try running hp-setup with the debug option turned on:

/usr/local/share/hplip/setup -g

It may give additional information.
While I did get some additional information it did not help me much. From what I can understand the configuration freezes while looking for the PPD file, but as this is in hplip I am still lost. Attached is the output I recieved with the blue text being written to the terminal when the wizard froze and the black text below it being written when the wizard was canceled.
Attachments
2.01fail.abw.gz
(2.51 KiB) Downloaded 402 times
Last edited by Billwho? on Sat 08 Sep 2007, 06:42, edited 1 time in total.

JDP

Well done!

#18 Post by JDP »

I've been trying Puppy for a few years now, but could never use it because it wouldn't drive my hp printers. Finally Puppy is a viable os for me!
Congrats to all, especially lluamco.

Billwho?
Trialing 4.20

Symlink needed to read help

#19 Post by Billwho? »

I discovered tonight that If you want to read the SANE help-files from the window a symlink for netscape is needed in /usr/local bin.
Open a terminal and cd to /usr/local/bin and enter

ln -s /usr/local/bin/defaultbrowser  netscape

SimplyFlower

#20 Post by SimplyFlower »

Billwho? wrote: Not stupidity at all. I've just been around here long enough to forget that not everyone knows what an alien package is, or how to install one.
Alien packages are installed with Pet-Get ( I'm still working in 2.15 so things may have changed slightly , but this is how I do it )

1/ Open Pet-Get (Click on the "install" icon then on the package icon in the top section of the window that opens)
2/Click on the second (small ) package icon in the new window that opens.
3/Use the left hand section of the next window to navigate to the directory where the alien package has been saved.
4/ Use the right hand section of the same window to select the alien package.
5/ Click "OK"
6/ The Pet-Get package manager will now install the package and check for missing dependencies.
Thank you. I tried installing both a .deb and a .tgz as alien packages. With the .tgz, Pet-Get exited with errors and told me to clean-up the /root/.packages directory. With the .deb, Pet-Get reported it as installed, but it really wasn't. Oh well, I assume it probably works with some packages and not with others.

Great discovery with the symlink to netscape.

Once again, thank you.