how to compile source and install new program

Booting, installing, newbie
amrishpurohit

how to compile source and install new program

#1 Post by amrishpurohit »

hi
i am new to puppy linux. i have experience with fedora and other destros. i like puppy very much. i want to compile wine and monit in puppy but i could not find any glibc or gcc
how can i compile a source and install it ?
please guide me or some link??

thanks
amrish

polymath

#2 Post by polymath »

you need to go to puppy's ibiblio.org distro site and download the correct devx file. If you have puppy 4.00, then the file you need is devx_400.sfs, located in the sfs-modules_4 folder (or sommat), but if you have puppy 3.01, then you need devx_301.sfs

Then, are you running off of live media (like cd) or did you do an install? What kind of install?

amrishpurohit

#3 Post by amrishpurohit »

polymath
i am talking about traditional installation that is ./configure make and make install.
what if i want to compile my custom c hello program . because i could not find any gcc or cc program.

thanks polymath for your response
amrish

muggins

#4 Post by muggins »

Amrish,

as Polymath mentioned, you need to download the development .sfs file for whichever puppy version you're using. If you're running puppy from a CD, or a frugal hard disk install, the file needs to be copied to /mnt/home, and should be mounted when you next reboot. If you enter gcc in a console & get the response no input files, then you have a working compiler.

If you have a full hard disk install, then refer to the bottom of this page

amrishpurohit

#5 Post by amrishpurohit »

thanks muggins,
i was not aware of that, can you please send me the link ans guide lines to install that file.
thanks again
amrish

Volsung

#6 Post by Volsung »

Latest devx file:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... vx_400.sfs

Right click it and "save target as". Put it in /mnt/home (same directory as your save file).

More on compiling from the Wiki:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... vx_400.sfs

I would be more careful when reading replies to your posts though becasue so far, every post you have made has asked a question that was answered in the post before it. (Ex: Muggins told you how to install the devx module and posted a link for a full HDD install guide and then you asked for a link to a guide on how to install it.)
[img]http://img385.imageshack.us/img385/3843/magussigbc0.jpg[/img]

countjocular

#7 Post by countjocular »

Hello chaps and chapesses,

Like amrishpurohit, I'm a puppy noob who's trying to setup a compile environment so I can install software from source (in my case I want to install Ruby).

I've followed the excellent instructions in this thread, but no cigar so far. Here's what I did specifically:

I have a full HDD install of Puppy 4 (actually Buddapup Dingo)
My save file is in / (heck knows why, but there you are)
I've downloaded devx_400.sfs and saved it in /
I used BootManager to tell Puppy to load devx_400.sfs on boot
I rebooted
I downloaded the sourceball of Ruby, and untarred it to /home/installs/ruby-1.8.7-p72
I cd'd to that directory in a terminal
I ran ./configure

I still get the error:

Code: Select all

checking build system type... i686-pc-linux-gnuoldld
checking host system type... i686-pc-linux-gnuoldld
checking target system type... i686-pc-linux-gnuoldld
checking for gcc... no
checking for cc... no
checking for cl.exe... no
configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH
Anybody able to spot what I'm doing wrong? (Do I need to add / to my path? If so, how does one go about doing so?) I'll happily attach my config.log if it'll help, but it's a bit long so I've refrained from doing so right away.

alcy

#8 Post by alcy »

^^http://www.puppylinux.com/development/compileapps.htm

Check out the section for instructions setting up a compiling environment under full hdd install.

countjocular

#9 Post by countjocular »

You, Mr alcy, are a beautiful, wonderful man. Or possibly a beautiful, wonderful woman.

Following the steps in that link got me a shell that responds to

Code: Select all

ruby -v
in less time than it takes to tell you about it.

Why on earth I didn't find that page when I first looked for a solution I just don't know, but anyway - you da man. Or da woman.

alcy

#10 Post by alcy »

^^well, if you use seamonkey, the puppy page that shows up as the default home, contains great information(and the link/page I supplied to you), especially the developer/technical part. :wink:

Volsung

#11 Post by Volsung »

I have a full HDD install of Puppy 4 (actually Buddapup Dingo)
My save file is in / (heck knows why, but there you are)
I've downloaded devx_400.sfs and saved it in /

Just thought I should point out: a full install does not use a save file, a frugal install does. Your save file will be in /mnt/home if it loaded properly. I am not sure why yours would be in /, but based on your other descriptions I would wager a guess that you have a frugal install rather than a full install. Hope that point of clarification helps.

stevesr0

frugal + dvx 4 sfs, but no gcc

#12 Post by stevesr0 »

I downloaded the dvx 4 sfs file to /mnt/home and rebooted. Then in a console, I typed gcc and got bash: gcc: no such command.

What can I do to check this out?

Thanks

Steve

Volsung

#13 Post by Volsung »

Some more information would be helpful.
Do you have a save file? One is needed for SFS files to be loaded. Check the boot manager (under the settings tab in the start menu) and check to make sure that the module is set to be loaded. puppy 400 needs devx_400.sfs, while puppy 401 would need devx_401.sfs. You can simply rename it as well. Other option is to uncheck the box at the bottom of the selection screen that says something like "Ignore above user selection and add only those with 4xx in their name.", where XX is your version number.

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

Re: frugal + dvx 4 sfs, but no gcc

#14 Post by Béèm »

stevesr0 wrote:I downloaded the dvx 4 sfs file to /mnt/home and rebooted. Then in a console, I typed gcc and got bash: gcc: no such command.

What can I do to check this out?

Thanks

Steve
You have to select the devx sfs in the bootmanager before it will be recognized at boot.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

stevesr0

#15 Post by stevesr0 »

Thanks.

I didn't grasp that in the original instructions and unfortunately did not realize that I needed to do that with all sfs files to be loaded at boot. Learned something new <g>.

I will let you know what happens at next boot.

Steve

stevesr0

#16 Post by stevesr0 »

Well, the gcc command produced the correct response.

Then, I reattemped my install of adobe flashplayer 9 and it went smoothly without the previous error about the absence of glibc.

Thanks.

(Unfortunately, the installed flashplayer is still not found when I try to use it in firefox, but I have already posted this in another thread).

Steve

daniela132

#17 Post by daniela132 »

Umm.. I just read this topic. I am running Puppy in VMWare. So I use iso image to run it. How to place the devx_410.sfs in the right place? Please help this newbie :D

jplagarde

Full Install and No Save FIle

#18 Post by jplagarde »

What do you do If you have a full install? I do full installs to the HDDs of my computers and use GRUB.

I tried the /mnt/home, opened the boot loader and it says it does not recognize any SFSs. I am using puppy 4.1 and downloaded the devx 410.

Thanks!

Volsung

#19 Post by Volsung »

@JPLagard :

http://www.puppylinux.com/development/compileapps.htm

Look at the section titled Type 2 Full HDD install

@daniela132:

In VWware, you can rout flash drives to the virtual machine or create hard drives. Either of these options with a save file on them should allow you to follow these directions.

jplagarde

#20 Post by jplagarde »

Volsung,

I followed those directions in the link.
mount the partition that Puppy is installed to (say /mnt/hda2).
2. Copy devx_2xx.sfs to /mnt/hda2/tmp.
3. # cd /mnt/hda2/tmp
4. # losetup /dev/loop2 devx_2xx.sfs
5. # mkdir mntpt
5. # mount -t squashfs /dev/loop2 mntpt
The problem is that I don't seen an hda2. Upon starting Linux my hard drive is already mounted and its sda1. When i click on the drive icon it shows /mnt/home. If I go up a level to /mnt I don't see any folders referring to drives, only for my USB stick which is sdb1.

Currently i have an open office sfs as well as the devx 410 in the mnt/home directory and nothing happens. Regardless I did try the directions in that link doing everything in the /mnt/home rather than /mnt/hda2 but I didn't work.

Thanks for your help!

JP