Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 25 Aug 2019, 12:25
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Announcements
Puppy 2.16CE_Home_ Beta1 iso now available
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]  
tronkel

PostPosted: Fri 25 Jan 2008, 05:59    Post subject:  Puppy 2.16CE_Home_ Beta1 iso now available
Subject description: Now has HotPup live hot-plugging

Puppy 2.16CE_Home_ Beta1 iso now available with HotPup.

Download from here:

http://www.puppylinux.ca/tpp/tronkel

Summary of features:

HotPup live hot-plugging, initrd is cpio archive, updated Pmount, updated probedisk, EZpup 3.00 (icewin) customised for 2.16CE, latest firefox 2.0.0.11, Google Desktop auto-install, Midnight commander, Mplayer, NVU, Prism webapps (Mozilla Labs), Sylpheed email client, undeb/unrpm, File-Sharing via FTP, Galculator, Slideshow,

This should now be feature-complete, hence Beta version.

Acknowledgments due to:
WhoDo, Caneri, Muggins, Kirk, Dougal, MU and anyone else I have inadvertently left out, whose excellent work is included here - a real Puppy Linux community effort.

Next stop: Start on Puppy 2.16CE_SOHO with OpenOffice.org, plus as yet to be decided other SOHO features/requirements

Caneri

PostPosted: Fri 25 Jan 2008, 12:56    Post subject:  

Hi Jack et al,

ok..I did an install of the beta over top of the alpha 5 and the install acted like an upgrade and saved all my settings.

HotPup works well..thanks.

File sharing tests will come soon when I get 2 lappys together in one place.

Thanks..WELL DONE! looking forward to SOHO edition.

Eric

ttuuxxx

PostPosted: Fri 25 Jan 2008, 20:44    Post subject:  

Excellent work!

Been playing with it and its pretty good, I found one thing that needs looking at, when you use the right click "open with" you still have the original shortcuts, like Gxine,Gimp etc.Thats easily fixed. Smile

Just wondering if you could tell me which Ezpup and Conky did you use? I would like to remove them, A link to the original pet package would be the best way. or a 0package would even be nicer but I know thats asking a bit Smile
thanks for your time ttuuxxx.

tronkel

PostPosted: Sat 26 Jan 2008, 06:28    Post subject:  

ttuuxxx wrote:

Quote:
Just wondering if you could tell me which Ezpup and Conky did you use?

Hi tuuxxx. Glad u like it.

I'll fix the OpenWith menu for the next build, Beta2. Caneri also noticed the blinky background-colour in the icewin taskbar was inappropriate for the Evergreen theme. I have fixed this, and will be in the next build.

If I upload the actual packages directories that I used i.e. EZpup 3.0, 216CE_evergreen and Conky to www.puppylinux.ca/tpp/tronkel, you could rip out the files you don't want by examining the respective package directory trees. I can't remember exactly where I took the conky package from - I think it was a dotpup version modified by MU some time ago.

Since the conky package has been modified to include a modified /root.xinitrc file that also starts the HotPup daemon, make sure that you copy this .xinitrc elsewhere, so that the daemon starts. You would also need another window manager to replace icewin, which was the only one included in 2.16CE (via EZpup 3.0).

If all of this seems a lot of hassle, I could rebuild you a version with EZpup and conky removed

Let me know what you think.

Cheers

tronkel

ttuuxxx

PostPosted: Sat 26 Jan 2008, 08:04    Post subject:  

tronkel wrote:
ttuuxxx wrote:

Quote:
Just wondering if you could tell me which Ezpup and Conky did you use?

Hi tuuxxx. Glad u like it.

I'll fix the OpenWith menu for the next build, Beta2. Caneri also noticed the blinky background-colour in the icewin taskbar was inappropriate for the Evergreen theme. I have fixed this, and will be in the next build.

If I upload the actual packages directories that I used i.e. EZpup 3.0, 216CE_evergreen and Conky to www.puppylinux.ca/tpp/tronkel, you could rip out the files you don't want by examining the respective package directory trees. I can't remember exactly where I took the conky package from - I think it was a dotpup version modified by MU some time ago.

Since the conky package has been modified to include a modified /root.xinitrc file that also starts the HotPup daemon, make sure that you copy this .xinitrc elsewhere, so that the daemon starts. You would also need another window manager to replace icewin, which was the only one included in 2.16CE (via EZpup 3.0).

If all of this seems a lot of hassle, I could rebuild you a version with EZpup and conky removed

Let me know what you think.

Cheers

tronkel

Hey Buddy
Its just that 2.17 was really for older computers, and if you add icewm to the mix its an extra 20MB or so, and Conky just takes some extra resources and also the colour doesn't work well with other backgrounds, When I include conky with my variants I usually make a desktop icon for it, So if some people want to use it, they just click the desktop Icon and if they don't well then they just don't click it. Smile Since its so small its ok like that Smile
All i did is reinstall jwm . I deleted the conky executable and manually deleted icewm. I really do like your upgrades to 2.17 it works like a Gem and so does the pet package manager Smile
What you've done so far is tops, I wouldn't change anything other than the conky thing, But what I am doing is using this 2.16ce and building from it, Since I like it so much:) Hope thats ok, I have a certain Variant Idea and this pup fits the bill. Smile
do you know of a 0packages for this pet? I've been looking and haven't found it yet.

Oh ya your pfind is version 1.2 when the current one is 3.3 and it has tons of improvements, Smile
I perosonally would like to see a cut-down version with the following removed
-icewm replace with jwm
-Gxine i really hate , mplayer like you installed is better
-Seamonkey since you have firefox already
-Prism most people who use this variant live would never have a use for it.
I'm just thinking of having 2 version, A light version and the default Smile
Also one thing i do miss is when you click on a .sfs file in puppy 3.0 series you can search it, That is so handy, But this one doesn't let you do that, Yes I know you can type a bunch of code, but I personally just like click and goooooooo. lol I'm a bit lazy sometimes:)
ttuuxxx

ttuuxxx

tronkel

PostPosted: Sat 26 Jan 2008, 09:35    Post subject:  

tuuxxx wrote

Quote:
do you know of a 0packages for this pet?

Not sure what ur asking here. Do you mean a petget package for a particular app, or an unleashed packages collection consisting of dotpets?.

2.16CE is based on Puppy 2.16.1

You can use this 2.16CE freely for any re-master or unleashed build that you require.
You'll need the 2.16 unleashed-core available from ibiblio.

I'll investigate how to make sfs archives open by single-clicking in this version.

ttuuxxx

PostPosted: Sat 26 Jan 2008, 11:06    Post subject:  

tronkel wrote:
tuuxxx wrote

Quote:
do you know of a 0packages for this pet?

Not sure what ur asking here. Do you mean a petget package for a particular app, or an unleashed packages collection consisting of dotpets?.

2.16CE is based on Puppy 2.16.1

You can use this 2.16CE freely for any re-master or unleashed build that you require.
You'll need the 2.16 unleashed-core available from ibiblio.

I'll investigate how to make sfs archives open by single-clicking in this version.

sorry i meant to 0pkgs_2.16 its ok I found it but doesn't work anyways, Its used with petbegone to remove packages that are built into puppy, kind of like a uninstall program:)

also the link http://www.puppylinux.ca/tpp/tronkel doesn't show the packages you used, just the direct links for 2.16ce iso's
thanks for everything ttuuxxx

tronkel

PostPosted: Sat 26 Jan 2008, 13:42    Post subject:  

Tuuxxx, you could get info on what packages are included by looking at /root/.packages/packages.txt.

I can see the problem though here. Even if you had a complete file listing/directory tree for every package, simply removing it from the unleashed packages selection GUI using ./createpuppy could cause problems in this case. Some of the packages have been cobbled together and stuff altered within then that could impact other packages on the live CD if they were simply removed.

I could upload the packages that you want to remove to puppylinux.ca as I mentioned. This would let you see the directory tree(s) inside the package and also examine any e.g. /root/.xxxx scripts that are essential to retain in the final build. With this info, you could then rip out the appropriate directories and then re-master/re-unleash.

Unleashed is a great system but it can be quite difficult to keep track of what has been altered, unless you keep copious notes of these changes. I usually don't go to that trouble myself, but I can usually back-track to where I was originally. Difficult for someone else to be able to sort out though - just like trying to understand someone else's poorly-commented code Rolling Eyes

Only other way is to upload the whole of the package collection that I used and copy it to your unleashed directory - not really feasible.because of the size -would take days to upload.

Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]  
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Announcements
Jump to: