Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 18 Jun 2018, 19:39
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
How to change Start menu icons in ezpup?
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]  
netjet

PostPosted: Fri 08 Feb 2008, 00:11    Post subject:  How to change Start menu icons in ezpup?  

Hi , first of all Im a web developer and have been using Ubuntu for the last year. .... I found puppy Linux because I took on a small job fixing up a friend's 10 year old gateway solo 2500 laptop. All I have to say is PUPPY rocks ! I just loaded puppy 3 ce on my toshiba satellite with and Im loving it .

Anyway I need some help with 2 things:

1. I downloaded ezpup icewm and all is well except that the start menu icons look really bad ... how can i update them?

2. on the old Gateway solo I had to partition the drive to accommodate the old bios ... it works fine but how do i tell puppy to utilize hda3 ( the unallocated partition) ?

Thanks for puppy this is a really interesting and fun distro to tinker with.
mydesk.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   50.56 KB
 Viewed   1077 Time(s)

mydesk.jpg

WhoDo

PostPosted: Fri 08 Feb 2008, 05:38    Post subject: Re: How to change Start menu icons in ezpup?  

netjet wrote:
Hi , first of all Im a web developer and have been using Ubuntu for the last year. .... I found puppy Linux because I took on a small job fixing up a friend's 10 year old gateway solo 2500 laptop. All I have to say is PUPPY rocks ! I just loaded puppy 3 ce on my toshiba satellite with and Im loving it .

Welcome to the kennels, netjet. Razz Puppy will continue to surprise you, believe me. It's been surprising me for almost 2 years now.

netjet wrote:
Anyway I need some help with 2 things:

1. I downloaded ezpup icewm and all is well except that the start menu icons look really bad ... how can i update them?

All of the icons that accompany programs on the menu are found in either /usr/share/mini-icons or /usr/share/midi-icons and are restricted to 16x16 and 24x24. EZpup-3.01 uses the larger size where possible but that can cause a problem for users who prefer JWM instead of IceWM. Desktop icons are in /usr/share/pixmaps. The icons are called from the /usr/share/applications/*.desktop file that specifies the menu entry. You can edit these files to point to a new/different icon and then open a console and run fixmenus.

OTOH, if you mean the Start Button icon, you actually have to change the start button in your chosen theme's directory. For example, if you selected Start>Settings>Themes>Quanx-Who as your theme, the Start button would be in /root/.icewm/themes/Quanx-Who/taskbar directory. Just change the start button to one of your choice and restart the IceWM window manager to see the result.

netjet wrote:
2. on the old Gateway solo I had to partition the drive to accommodate the old bios ... it works fine but how do i tell puppy to utilize hda3 ( the unallocated partition) ?

Utilise how? You can format it to ext2 and then use PMount (Computer icon on the desktop - top left) to mount the partition and copy stuff to it. OTOH, if you just want to add the space to your current partition so Puppy can use it, use Menu>System>GParted to add the space to your Puppy partition. Backup first if you have anything you might miss. If the BIOS prevents that, then you can boot from the LiveCD and move your pup_save.2fs file to the vacant partition. Edit Grub to point to the new location of the file or just let Puppy find it at boot if it's the only one.

However, since Puppy is so small and seldom grows over about 2Gb on most systems, you could just use the extra partition for another copy of Puppy and multi-boot. I've got a daily hack Puppy development partition, an earlier version Puppy partition for support and a new, cutting edge Puppy play partition. All of these happily co-exist on my 60Gb hard drive with the Windows XP I keep for client support purposes and my Linus-blanket (pun intended) copy of PCLinuxOS 2007. Puppy will read and write to NTFS, too.

It really depends on what you are trying to achieve as to which is the best way to go.

Hope that helps.

netjet

PostPosted: Fri 08 Feb 2008, 21:01    Post subject: PMOUNT , CFDISK HELP  

Thanks for responding whodo , I'm trying to get hda2 to show up in the mnt folder or somewhere so it can be used to save images , mp3's etc.... it shows up in cfdisk as hda2 . What is the correct setting so that it shows up in mnt folder and in PMOUNT?

Thanks again 4 your help.

netjet
WhoDo

PostPosted: Fri 08 Feb 2008, 21:36    Post subject: Re: PMOUNT , CFDISK HELP  

netjet wrote:
Thanks for responding whodo , I'm trying to get hda2 to show up in the mnt folder or somewhere so it can be used to save images , mp3's etc.... it shows up in cfdisk as hda2 . What is the correct setting so that it shows up in mnt folder and in PMOUNT?

There is no automount in Puppy, at least by default. That's one of the compromises made for the size of the package. That said, you can manually mount using Pmount IF the partition is first formated. If you can't see it in Pmount, try in Menu>File System>MUT - I don't know why but sometimes one sees things the other cannot.

Neither will show you an unformatted or 'dirty' partition. If you haven't formatted using cfdisk or Gparted, then it won't show. Try using efsck on hda2 if it is already set as ext2/ext3.

If you want automounting, there is an automount utility (I believe) but you'd have to search the forum, or Google using "puppy automounter" in the search.

Hope that helps.

MU

PostPosted: Fri 08 Feb 2008, 21:50    Post subject:  

pdrive can mount all at once and also has a automount-daemon I think.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=21200
Mark

Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: