problem booting puppy in old laptop

Booting, installing, newbie
macolinux

#16 Post by macolinux »

Thanks. to all.....I have tried xorgconfig and then xwin jwm after commenting out but still hangs.....
What I do not understand is why the program keeps on probing for video hardware afetr I comment out the part of Xorg that is in charge of that?!!
This is a problem...I would really like to run puppy but it is so difficult to set up.
I have been trying woth other distros and as wpurcell said...nothing runs on this garbage.....I have been trying to run ubuntu (alternate) but apparently there is an error with the files in the cd....
I will keep on trying and will let you know what happens as soon as I finnish.
If you have any new ideas please let me know....
Thanks..

Aitch

#17 Post by Aitch »

Hi macolinux

I've seen this before & believe this was a fix, - a new xorg wizard ;-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 110#154110

I had a similar problem with an old IBM lappy but got it sorted by experimenting with acpi & apm settings in bios
try alternately when booting;
acpi=off, acpi=noirq, or, acpi=force

as a last resort try

puppy pfix=ram

to ignore any accumulated rubbish

lastly, try using puppy 214R, instead, as I'm sure many earlier laptops 'tweaks' were added

aitch

rerwin

"Probing hang" problem should be fixed in Puppy 4

#18 Post by rerwin »

macolinux,
I am distressed to see you guys hassling with the old workarounds for the hang. I have solved that in Puppy 4 for many Toshiba laptops and beta 2 should add support for any that I don't know about. Please try the betas before giving up.

I expect that fix will be back-ported to 3.02 eventually.

If the betas do not solve your problem, please report that so I can look into a further fix.

EDIT: I have now verified that the beta2 fix also works in Puppy 3.01. But you may need to remaster 3.01 with the fix to try it on a previously unusable laptop. The fix is here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 522#188522

Extract only the /etc and /usr directory portions of that archive to /, to get the three files into their correct locations. When remastering, be sure to copy (when prompted) /etc/xorgoverrides into /tmp/etc/, although the fix will work without it.

You can disregard two error messages from xwin about the missing "dmidecode" function. They relate only to the Classmate and EeePC laptops, which are not supported by 3.01.

Richard

Aitch

#19 Post by Aitch »

Hi Rich

Thanks for chipping in
I linked to your fix, but at p3, so anyone, especially macolinux, could find it directly, and [hopefully] see that at p7 it's still an active thread :)

Aitch

PS Nice fix BTW :)

ICPUG

#20 Post by ICPUG »

rerwin's procedure is so important it should be made into a 'HowTo' - not stuck away on the Bugs sub forum.

I think it should be a sticky as well.

Then perhaps other Toshiba users may find it more easily.