Script updates using Gnocl and gxmessage

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
gray

Script updates using Gnocl and gxmessage

#1 Post by gray »

I noticed that in Puppy 2.17.1 there are still some of the scripts using xmessage, so I converted them to use gxmessage. They take the gtk theme and look better :) :

Resize personal storage file - resizepfile.sh,
floppy-format.sh and chooselocale

Also updated some apps using Gnocl:
Xvesa wizard, set global font size and cd wizard.

Enjoy 8)
Attachments
roxpatterns-0.1.pet
(167.72 KiB) Downloaded 294 times
gnocl_apps.tar.gz
(5.56 KiB) Downloaded 272 times
gxmessage_apps.tar.gz
(7.08 KiB) Downloaded 290 times

vovchik

Thanks

#2 Post by vovchik »

Dear gray,

They look good and seem to work. Thanks. Any chance that you could use gnocl to improve the Wish CD writer and the smaller tk/tlc Kp process lister/killer? As regards the latter, it would be much smaller than gPS and would make use of GTK2.

WIth kind regards,
vovchik

zigbert

#3 Post by zigbert »

Making a KP alternative with gtkdialog would be very simple. I can take a look at it.

zigbert

#4 Post by zigbert »

vovchik

Sorry!
If you (or someone else) wants to enjoy making a Pprocess, please go ahead. My intension were not to take a good project out of your hands. This is a very good starter-project. If anyone wants some help, please give a notice.

The best wishes,
Sigmund

gray

KP

#5 Post by gray »

Hmm, KP does look like another project to learn more Gnocl programming - I might just give it a go. I have looked at gtkdialog and for simple things it seems OK but anything remotely complex and I find it too much of a straightjacket (dont like it - can I have another one to take the taste away :D ). Gnocl on the other hand is even easier than Tk.

vovchik

gnocl and KP

#6 Post by vovchik »

Gray,

Please have a go. I don't know tk and you obviously do know how to use gnocl and to program in tk. KP is not that big, and it would make a nice addition to the Puppy base of gtk2-based scripted apps. Good luck.

If you need testers, please let me know.

With kind regards,
vovchik

Eyes-Only

#7 Post by Eyes-Only »

Thanks for these Gray! I'm not in my Puppy 2.17 HDD install at the moment but my Debian-Sid instead. Still, I downloaded these and I'm looking forward to installing them and seeing how they look, etc.

Another one that would look really nice with an updated GUI interface? Burniso2cd. Small programme (that I know of anyway, I'm NOT a programmer anymore) but oh so very useful on Puppy! Especially now since it's been updated to do md5sums of CD burns a few Puppy versions back! Woohoo!

The type of "GUI interface" of which I'm speaking for this app wouldn't be one with any working parts or anything like that I guess (as it really doesn't have any to speak of), but more of an "updated look" that would fit in with the rest of our fine distro.

Have you thought too Gray of bringing these upgrades to BarryK's attention for inclusion into the newer Puppy versions? Might be worth a shot where it dresses them up and really doesn't add much to the over-all weight of the distro. One never knows, eh? ;)

Thanks again Gray and keep up the great work!

Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"
*~*~*~*~*~*
Proud user of LXpup and 3-Headed Dog. 8)
*~*~*~*~*~*

plinej

#8 Post by plinej »

Has anyone converted tkdvd to gnocl? Just curious how hard it would be. I've just started messing around with gnocl a bit but never having written a tcl script I'm at square one.

Eyes-Only

#9 Post by Eyes-Only »

Hi Gray,

I've since booted into my Puppy 2.17 HDD install and placed the said files into their respective places (after appending "original" the the ending of the names of the originals that is) and I'm otherwise very pleased with the outcome here! You've done an excellent job, IMHO anyway, of dressing these little apps up so that they blend in better with the over-all format of Puppy. I really think you should drop BarryK a line in regard to this, especially since I noticed that in a couple of apps it seemed to have actually dropped the size of the app. :) (I can't recall now which ones exactly did this though.)

I'm sold. Two thumbs up from me!

Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"

(P/S: Good luck Plinej on whatever you attempt to do! Having seen and used your apps as well I can't wait to see what you'll come out with! :D )
*~*~*~*~*~*
*~*~*~*~*~*

BarryK
Puppy Master

#10 Post by BarryK »

See my recent announcement on the News Blog:
http://www.puppylinux.com/news/
...some of them will be in 2.20alpha.

Eyes-Only

#11 Post by Eyes-Only »

This is really great news Barry, thank you! :D I loaded up Gray's little scripts last night (per above) and I thought they were really nice in the way they dressed up the former GUIs. He's done a marvelous job IMVHO.

And good luck on the 2.20 Barry! My thoughts are with you on this and my prayers for its success! I just have this "feeling" that 2.20 and 3.00 are going to be stellar releases that will make Puppy shine as never before! 8)

You folks are really special to me and have opened up an entire new world to me. Thank you all, and especially to you Barry.

Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"
*~*~*~*~*~*
*~*~*~*~*~*

gray

Updated KP

#12 Post by gray »

Vovchik:

I have converted the kp script to use Gnocl (attached) :) .

If you hold down the right mouse button on a process a signal list pops up, so that an alternate kill can be selected for that process.

Give it a whirl 8)
Attachments
kp.tar.gz
(1.99 KiB) Downloaded 250 times

vovchik

kp script

#13 Post by vovchik »

gray:

It looks great and works. Thanks. If you get motivated, you might want to introduce a "start/time" category and allow for sorting of the processes by clicking on the headers (pid, uid, etc). That's the only thing that gps has that is still missing from kp. Incidentally, gps weighs in at 276k (stripped), whereas your kp is only 4.7k. I think Barry, like the rest of us, will be pleased.

Since I have the source of the original kp and now your version, I will go about studying how to use gnocl on the basis of your example.

regards,
vovchik

gray

Updated KP

#14 Post by gray »

Sorting by pid etc is easy and so I have already implemented it in the updated file attached. Start time could be tricky as the ps command that KP uses does not supply that info.
Attachments
kp.tar.gz
(1.99 KiB) Downloaded 255 times

vovchik

ps is busybox link

#15 Post by vovchik »

Gray:

I see your point. I just realized that standard ps in Puppy is crippled, so to speak. I've attached a real version with a necessary lib. You'll see that you get the time result by default, but the columns that kp parses are set up for the busybox version and make a mess if running standard ps (not hard to change in kp, I imagine). Anyway, have a look at the real thing, which provides more information. In my slightly modded version of kp, I run the old ps:

Code: Select all

proc scan_proc {} {
  global plist
	set cmd "|ps-old"

With thanks and kind regards,
vovchik
Attachments
ps-full.tar.gz
(49.52 KiB) Downloaded 299 times

vovchik

full ps params

#16 Post by vovchik »

Gray:

The following line will tell the full ps to show time without disrupting your column order:

Code: Select all

ps ax -o pid,user,size,stat,comm,stime
regards,
vovchik

gray

KP+

#17 Post by gray »

vovchik:

Thanx 4 the full ps. I renamed it ps_full on my system and have updated KP to use it (attached).
Attachments
kp.tar.gz
(2.03 KiB) Downloaded 166 times

vovchik

ps-FULL

#18 Post by vovchik »

Gray:

Thanks again. Incidentally, I also named my complete "ps" to "ps-FULL", as leaving it there as ps caused pmount and mut to show erroneous information and to have problems mounting partitions via ntfs-3g. Why this is so I don't know, but tinkering with Barry's system files sometimes leads to unpredictable results. I had no such "problems" with other coreutils, however.

I'll now check out your newest version.

regards,
vovchik