gLabels

Requests go here. If you fill a request, give it a new thread in the appropriate category and then link to it in the request thread.
Dromeno

gLabels

#1 Post by Dromeno »

gLabels is a gem of a small program for anyone who just wants to print labels on bottles or jars, or make a small batch of business or greeting cards. It is way more simple to use than Gimp or Scribus or OpenOffice for just this purpose.

Unfortunately it is available for Ubuntu only. No windows (wine) and no puppy.

For puppy/whine there is qLabels but qlabels screws up the actual printing of the labels. it just looks good on screen but it can not print fonts in good detail! I have emailed the creator of qLabels but he can not solve it.

John Biles (creator of TEENpup, Legacypup) did the best he could, he was able to make a gLabels for puppy2. But puppy2 can not handle SATA harddrives.

So... is there anybody who can solve the label problem?

stu90

#2 Post by stu90 »

I made a glabels .pet for Lucid puppy a while back - never fully tested it as i have no need for printing labels but you can give it a try if you like.

http://www.smokey01.com/stu90/lucid.pup ... .2.8-1.pet

hayden

#3 Post by hayden »

How lovely the apps we do not have look;-)

I have used glabels in TeenPup with a Canon S300 inkjet and a Samsung 2510 laser and with Mepis 8 and the same printers. In no case dd the labels print where they belonged on the page. (They look fine onscreen.) Common problems were a huge top margin or the entire page printing at about 60% of correct size. I do not have similar printing problems with these printers with other programs on these or other operating systems.

glabels has a nice wizard to create templates but there is no way to edit them and little chance they will work on the first try. Fortunately the templates are plain text files so you could mess with them but I found the program no match for EasyWorking Labels for Windows 3 which runs in DOSbox. There were MANY label programs back then.

titus

glabels

#4 Post by titus »

Hello All,
I run Slacko (I use other distros as well but I keep coming back to puppy, it really is the best).
My problem is with Glabels (qlabels just doesn't print correctly) I can use glabels with legacy on my IDE PC but I'd like to use it with Slacko on my SATA box.
I've installed glabels but on trying to run it I'm missing "libgnomeui-2.so.0".
If I could find that dependency in .deb I could convert it to .pet and try it but I've not had much success.
Has anyone out there solved the glabels problem?
I use the PC for a small business and glabels (or at least, a working label making application) is important to me, it's inconvenient having to use two systems to get the work done.
All input gratefully acknowledged.

hayden

gLabels lib file

#5 Post by hayden »

/usr/lib/libgnomeui-2.so.0.2000.1 is what/where I have in Mepis 8.. You could boot Mepis from live media and snatch that file. You might have to rename it or link with the name gLabel is looking for. For Slacko you might look at a Slackware disk. It may be one file inside a package of libgnomeui stuff. Or try

http://208.109.22.214/puppy/viewtopic.p ... af0bd46a37

titus

glabels

#6 Post by titus »

Thank you hayden,
You led me to find "libgnomeui" via your link. Now, when I type "glabels", I get a missing "libebook-1.2.so.9" message so I'm off to look for that. I may try your idea of filching the file from another live distro if I can't find what I want elsewhere.
Once again, thanks for your help.