Watchdog v2 now available.

Using applications, configuring, problems
hushpuppy

Watchdog v2 now available.

#1 Post by hushpuppy »

Please download from http://www.doubleburgerbar.com/watchdog/.

Best to get the readme.txt first, peruse while downloading the iso.

Please leave feedback experiences in this thread.

Fixes the following issues in version 1.

1) Mysql is now started bootup
2) Apache is now started at bootup
3) zmpkg.pl now started at bootup
4) fixed permision problem with events directory.
5) added a binary lsusb and added a recent usb.ids file -
6) added web browser icon for mozilla to the desktop

You still need to download any drivers for your cameras not already included with the distro.

You still need run xorgwizard after first boot.

More drivers and more importantly an auto detection script (for webcams) is now being prepared.

I think it's now safe to use create a pup_save file when closing down for the first time.

raffy

ran in console

#2 Post by raffy »

I ran it in console before reading the readme (and knowing that I can use xorgwizard :oops: ). It's queer that function keys don't work in mc.

The server works well, which is actually my main interest. This could be the first non-Xampp server package used in Puppy (other than NathanF's earlier builds of LAMP for Puppy 1.08+).

(For your documentation, may I suggest that you include links to source packages used and compiling details. This will enable you to easily backtrack later or for some other people to help out with fine-tuning.)

Cheers!
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

hushpuppy

#3 Post by hushpuppy »

I ran it in console before reading the readme (and knowing that I can use xorgwizard Embarassed ). It's queer that function keys don't work in mc.
Yes, i've not looked into that yet, but F9 does, which brings up the file menu.

For anyone wondering what "mc" is, it's a file manager that doesn't need Xwindows, and i use it for most of my work.
The server works well, which is actually my main interest.

Good, it should be very stable, and because it's not an sfs shouldnt have the related problems of Xampp.
This could be the first non-Xampp server package used in Puppy (other than NathanF's earlier builds of LAMP for Puppy 1.08+).
Yes, it's just a bit large at 194 MB.

(For your documentation, may I suggest that you include links to source packages used and compiling details. This will enable you to easily backtrack later or for some other people to help out with fine-tuning.)

I kept quite detailed notes on how i buiilt the packages, and still have the source directory, i also hope time permitiing to create some .pets to have the same effect.

Is it v2 that you have downloaded and used ?

I intend to create some symbolic links from the desktop to various log files, would this help with debugging ?.

I also think that a mysql frontend to the database would be a good addition (gui) does anyone have any preferences.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#4 Post by Lobster »

Good news - using it now
:)
I think it's now safe to use create a pup_save file when closing down for the first time.
I already had a save file from the first alpha
and it loaded OK - then I decided to use puppy pfix=ram in this new version

I am very glad to have seamonkey
(Firefox was having a resize problem)

This is my procedure after downloading the drivers from
the alpha thread (will have to do that next time- off to do chores)

Code: Select all

sh-3.00# install -c -D -m 644 quickcam.ko /lib/modules/2.6.18.1/misc/quickcam.ko
sh-3.00# install -c -D -m 755 qcset /usr/local/bin/qcset
sh-3.00# depmod -a
sh-3.00# modprobe quickcam
I will do later more if I have time.
Glad to hear about the further improvements :)

As Raffy says you have also (as a side event) created a base for apache and mysql, which will be useful

;)

If you are happy with the name Watchdog
have created (quickly - just stub) wiki page
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/WatchDog

Delete the cutesy pup if too cute ;)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

raffy

version and front-end

#5 Post by raffy »

It is version 2 that I used. As to front-ends and databases, here is a recent discussion:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=18420

Other than debugging, my interest in good documentation is what Lobster described:
a base for apache and mysql, which will be useful
That is, in the future, complete source files will be needed to distribute this "base".

Ah, one addition to the size is the presence of 2 browsers: Firefox and Seamonkey. I wonder which one you would keep. :)
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

Dougal

Re: Watchdog v2 now available.

#6 Post by Dougal »

hushpuppy wrote:You still need run xorgwizard after first boot.
Make sure there's no /tmp/bootcnt file in the sfs.
What's the ugliest part of your body?
Some say your nose
Some say your toes
But I think it's your mind

hushpuppy

#7 Post by hushpuppy »

Make sure there's no /tmp/bootcnt file in the sfs.
Thanks for the tip, ill remember that, but at the moment it is by choice.

xorgwizard can't configure my setup, and it's too much of a pain to have to copy xorg.conf from backup each time i test a new sfs, so for now i've left it in the sfs. It will be removed for the next release, unless there's any serious bugs found in this one.

Dougal

#8 Post by Dougal »

hushpuppy wrote:xorgwizard can't configure my setup, and it's too much of a pain to have to copy xorg.conf from backup each time i test a new sfs, so for now i've left it in the sfs.
Ahh, so that's the reason...

Note that the latest version of the wizard I posted on the nVidia thread should be able to give you a working 1-monitor setup. If it doesn't, let me know and I'll make some mods that will make sure it would (I hope).

Another thing you can do is just leave your xorg.con in the iso -- the wizard will be run automatically for other users, as the HW-profile won't match their HW!
Some say your nose
Some say your toes

hushpuppy

#9 Post by hushpuppy »

Do you mean that providing i remove /tmp/bootcnt (i'm assuming its short for boot count) the xorgwizard runs but would leave my config alone ?

What happens at the moment, on any machine, is xorgwizard doesnt run, neither does xorg, i have to start either manually.

I get the "It seems last time x ran, the computer hung" etc etc

Do you know how to get rid of that ?.

I seem to remember youre on dialup, so guess you've not downloaded the iso, i'd like your opinion on it if possible.

raffy

console

#10 Post by raffy »

It seems last time x ran, the computer hung
This is the console displayed at bootup, which seems to have been an old problem in remastering (i.e., it is already taken care of). It means that .XLOADED in /etc is being copied over. If you do remastering by hand (builds the compressed filesystem manually), then just delete this file first.

Which reminds me that if you want to simply build an sfs out of your additions to standard 2.16, just go to /initrd/pup_rw, copy the changed filesystem (root, usr and etc) to some folder in ext2 partition, and build the squashfs. You can then use the sfs as add-on (name it as watchdog_216.sfs). This way, you can distribute a smaller file.

hushpuppy

#11 Post by hushpuppy »

This is the console displayed at bootup, which seems to have been an old problem in remastering (i.e., it is already taken care of). It means that .XLOADED in /etc is being copied over. If you do remastering by hand (builds the compressed filesystem manually), then just delete this file first.
I didn't know about the .XLOADED file, ill use that info thanks (i do remaster by hand).
Which reminds me that if you want to simply build an sfs out of your additions to standard 2.16, just go to /initrd/pup_rw, copy the changed filesystem (root, usr and etc) to some folder in ext2 partition, and build the squashfs. You can then use the sfs as add-on (name it as watchdog_216.sfs). This way, you can distribute a smaller file.
I was reluctant to build an sfs because i have had problems with the squashfs on my system, it could be just my machine, but youre right, it would make sense to distribute a watchdog.sfs, ill see if it can be done once i've got the system past the beta stage.

I'm creating a new iso with just three file changes ill see if it's possible for me to make an sfs with just these changes, rather than create a new iso.

Dougal

#12 Post by Dougal »

hushpuppy wrote:I get the "It seems last time x ran, the computer hung" etc etc

Do you know how to get rid of that ?
That's the boot-count thing.
When you chroot to the directory holding the filesystem, it loads the profile in that new root -- and the profile creates the boot-count file.
It's always a good idea to have a look in the /tmp of that filesystem before creatign the sfs -- indexgen.sh also leaves some files in there.
Some say your nose
Some say your toes

hushpuppy

#13 Post by hushpuppy »

That's the boot-count thing.
When you chroot to the directory holding the filesystem, it loads the profile in that new root -- and the profile creates the boot-count file.
It's always a good idea to have a look in the /tmp of that filesystem before creatign the sfs -- indexgen.sh also leaves some files in there.

Ah, i see, thanks.

I'll check that on the next iso.

hushpuppy

#14 Post by hushpuppy »

Thanks to a tip from raffy, i've created an sfs addition, it adds the quickcam drivers and auto loads them.

Visit http://doubleburgerbar.com/watchdog/ to download, there is a readme there also.

Edit :- I can also confirm that the bttv drivers also work, these tend to be pci capture cards (some cheapo ones are available on ebay). I slotted one into the pc, connected a cam, booted up, and immediatley had a working system, no need to modprobe, it was autodetected.

If you have one, please report any successes or failures.

There are a number of bttv cards on the market, i intend to write a howto for these cards when i have time, all input gratefully received.

hushpuppy

#15 Post by hushpuppy »

I've found a number of bugs in the released software, and will be posting fixes for the next week or so, will then release an iso with the fixes.

The biggest bug i found was the following.

Once you have your camera installed and configured, and have the webpage open (http://loclhost/zm.php) you may notice if booting from CD (NOTE that if you boot from usb flash not all of these happen, this really threw me, and took many hours to fix) that the text under the function heading and under the source heading is blue. It is supposed to change colour dependinf upon the state of the server, and the state of the Function. For example, if zm is stopped, the source text, in this case /dev/video0(0) is supposed to be red, and the Function (Monitor) is supposed to be orange, if you change it to Modect it is supposed to turn to green.

Also streaming was working, but stills were not, also if you clicked on an event, the small images were not being shown.

The fix for this is twofold.

The /usr/local/apache2/htdocs/images directory needs the permissions changing so any user can write to it. Not very good security wise, but a better fix will be forthcoming.

Apache also has a bug, this took some time to track down.

Apache 2 uses sendfile to boost performance when delivering files. Sendfile is supposed to engage on files that are larger than 255 bytes, It does this by default, but on some systems, sendfile does not work correctly. Watchdog is one of those systems.
Add the following line to your httpd.conf file (actually it's already there commented out)

EnableSendfile off

then from an xterm type "apachectl restart" , stop and start zm (from the webpage) and all should now be ok.

I've another three fixes (already solved), and will write about these when i've a few minutes spare.

mcewanw

new Puppy Linux Wiki Watchdog page

#16 Post by mcewanw »

Please also refer to the new Puppy Linux Wiki page on the Watchdog project at:

http://puppylinux.org/wikka/WatchDog

KingOfKYA

snd email in zm

#17 Post by KingOfKYA »

just as a heads the send mail pearl modules are missing or no there because zoneminder will not send an email

can someone test so i can tell if it is just me

works great accept for that

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#18 Post by Flash »

I don't get it. The only link in the original post is to a page with links to download versions 1 and 1.1. Where can I download version 2?

Edit: Ok, I figured out that if I changed the 1.1 at the end of this URL to a 2, that would download version 2. Why not edit the Watchdog webpage to add a direct link to version 2?

noprob

Watchdog v2

#19 Post by noprob »

All is qiute on the home front concerning this flavor of puppy?

Is this version ok?

I am seeding v1.1 via linuxtracker and mininova

Wonders if I should wait to seed v2?

shocksystems

#20 Post by shocksystems »

Flash wrote:I don't get it. The only link in the original post is to a page with links to download versions 1 and 1.1. Where can I download version 2?

Edit: Ok, I figured out that if I changed the 1.1 at the end of this URL to a 2, that would download version 2. Why not edit the Watchdog webpage to add a direct link to version 2?
Hushpuppy: As Flash asked above; Is there a reason you are not linking to version 2? Are you deliberately steering people towards version 1.1? Thanks, Jim