Slacko64-6.3.0

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
s243a

#221 Post by s243a »

The desktop settings don't seem to be saving for me such as font size and the height of the menu items.

edit The settings seem to have saved the second time that I tried. Weird.
Last edited by s243a on Sun 17 Jul 2016, 08:16, edited 1 time in total.

s243a

#222 Post by s243a »

Firefox keeps getting stuck behind the taskbar (or tray as I think it's called on linux). I'm not sure how to drag it down.

edit: Pressing F11 to go to full screen, and then moving the cursor to the top of the screen seemed to work for me.

Pelo

Demo video You Tube by Ivan Sampa Brazil

#223 Post by Pelo »

Slacko 64 Demo video You Tube by Ivan Sampa Brazil, Puppy Linux video maker. Listen to the music..
Attachments
Ivan Sampa.jpg
Not sure that Ivan Sampa is a registered member in the forum.
(83.96 KiB) Downloaded 725 times

Mike Walsh

#224 Post by Mike Walsh »

Evening, all.

Was wanting to upgrade to the 4.2.5 kernel. There doesn't appear to be an Upgrade widget like there is in Tahr64. Does the 'change_kernels' script need to be run through the terminal?

Mike. :wink:

Sailor Enceladus

#225 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

Mike Walsh wrote:Does the 'change_kernels' script need to be run through the terminal?
That's how I do it. 2 minute job at most :)

Mike Walsh

#226 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, Sailor.

No, it doesn't take long at all, does it? But after finding out that my entire WINE setup was broken (like completely non-functional..!), I reverted back to the old 4.1.11 kernel. It's not like I actually need the new kernel; I just wanted to see how easy it was to do.

bigpup

#227 Post by bigpup »

I have seen several people trying to use Slacko64 have problems with WIFI detection and setup.

This idea of having fdrv sfs, containing additional firmware, is the problem.
People new to Puppy do not really understand they need the fdrv or how to get it loaded to use. They just get discouraged and drop trying to use Slacko64.
Other versions of Puppy just have everything needed and work from first boot up.

fdrv sfs does not seem to be working very well for new users of Puppy.

I and others have tried to help them, but it seems they have a hard time understanding what they need to do.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Mike Walsh

#228 Post by Mike Walsh »

Here's a query for some of the more 'savvy' amongst you.

Why is it, when I install certain apps into Slacko64, that instead of text, I merely get a series of little square boxes, where the text should be? Is this perchance anything to do with GTK? Or Qt?

Any advice or info would be most welcome; something's obviously missing, but I wouldn't like to hazard a guess what.

gcmartin

#229 Post by gcmartin »

@Mike Walsh
you have a font issue.

@BigPup
+1 This could be positioned/documented for viewing so that users, especially new to adrv/fdrv/zdrv/SFSs are clear on it need(s) when it is needed, and how to implement in a pristine/Live environment.

More seasoned members are better suited without the steering required for understanding and what the signs are that signal a need for use.

I do understand what some/many of the developers are targeting; namely reduced boot timings as well as other logical considerations.

But, in gaining this trade off, developers impact a distros ability to give a complete operational entity upon desktop arrival.

Maybe with your post and comments from others, the developers can find some ways of getting users to a place of comfort or getting users to an OOTB place of information that can be helpful

An idea that I once thought to propose is whether upon completion of FirstRUN that the system could check for a wire in the active adapter or scan-able detection of WiFi sites which would be one kind of indicator if either or both of these adapters were discovered and present. If so, do nothing, while if not, alert the user. But models of PCs and Laptops over the years have changed and other scrutiny might need to be tested.

Sailor Enceladus

#230 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

Mike Walsh wrote:Here's a query for some of the more 'savvy' amongst you.

Why is it, when I install certain apps into Slacko64, that instead of text, I merely get a series of little square boxes, where the text should be? Is this perchance anything to do with GTK? Or Qt?

Any advice or info would be most welcome; something's obviously missing, but I wouldn't like to hazard a guess what.

That also happened to me yesterday in Wine. In the jwm title bar was just squares, maybe it was an issue with the program itself, or because it was trying to run 640x400 full screen with the newer xorg 1.18 (which actually works for me unlike in the older one) and the lowest I'm supposed to be able to select (apparently) is 800x600. Heh. Now you've got me curious Mike.

hofy

brightness Fn key adjustment not working

#231 Post by hofy »

The fn key that should control brightness doesn't work out of the box on my lappy with 6.3.0 slacko 64bit on it.

this command works like a charm in urxvt terminal:
echo X >/sys/class/backlight/radeon_bl0/brightness

but how do I modify this urxvt command so that I can bind it to a key as a shortcut? I would just need like 4 stages and that would do. Or maybe a more elegant solution, like making the fn keys work, anyone? They are f11 and f12 keys that are supposed to control brightness when Fn is pressed down.

P.S. how do you copy output from urxvt actually?
P.S. 2: could someone please help me with wine? I get an error /lib/ld-linux.so.2 could not open
I sense it's got to do with wine not supposed to run as root? What's the trick?
thanks a bunch!

Mike Walsh

#232 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, hofy.

Can't help with key bindings, as it's not something I know about, but I can help with copy/paste from urxvt.

It's not exactly 'intuitive', as the terminal doesn't have a context menu where you can select 'copy'.....but you can try this out for yourself.

Open urxvt, and, oh.....just for the hell of it, enter

Code: Select all

blkid
This brings up a list of your partitions and their UUID identifiers. If you want to copy any part of this, simply left-click, hold, and highlight the section you want (pretty much like any copy operation, really), then release the mouse button. Do not click on anything else in the terminal window.

Open up Leafpad, or Geany (either will do what you want for demonstration purposes). If you're using a mouse, move your cursor to the appropriate position, and then click your centre button (usually the scroll wheel) This will 'paste' the text from urxvt.

With a touchpad, move your cursor to the the appropriate place, then hit the left- and right-hand buttons together, at the same time. This will 'emulate' the 'middle-click' that most mice possess, but which a touchpad usually doesn't.

Try it a few times.You'll soon get the hang of it! :)

-------------------------------------------------

As for WINE, where are you actually installing it from? Where are you downloading from.....and just out of curiosity, which version? I use it all the time, and I, too, had problems quite recently getting it to install in Slacko64.....

hofy

wine

#233 Post by hofy »

Hi Mike,
thanks for that trick with urxvt! works like a charm.

I have figured out a way to map alternate keys. the command reads:

exec:echo X >/sys/class/backlight/radeon_bl0/brightness 
and binds well to keys which are letters but not numbers. I have tried alt+1 before, and it didn't work. remapped to Alt+u (and i,o,p) and all is well.got my four stages now.
if anyone knows what command I can use to increase/decrease the value instead of just passing a number, I could probably successfully remap the fn keys.

Now wine:
I grabbed the most recent package from here:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/wine/f ... 0Packages/

puppy reports that it installed fine, but there's a lot of errors poppin up when I first run it:

wine: created the configuration directory '/root/.wine'
err:ole:marshal_object couldn't get IPSFactory buffer for interface {00000131-0000-0000-c000-000000000046}
err:ole:marshal_object couldn't get IPSFactory buffer for interface {6d5140c1-7436-11ce-8034-00aa006009fa}
err:ole:StdMarshalImpl_MarshalInterface Failed to create ifstub, hres=0x80004002
err:ole:CoMarshalInterface Failed to marshal the interface {6d5140c1-7436-11ce-8034-00aa006009fa}, 80004002
err:ole:get_local_server_stream Failed: 80004002
err:ole:marshal_object couldn't get IPSFactory buffer for interface {00000131-0000-0000-c000-000000000046}
err:ole:marshal_object couldn't get IPSFactory buffer for interface {6d5140c1-7436-11ce-8034-00aa006009fa}
err:ole:StdMarshalImpl_MarshalInterface Failed to create ifstub, hres=0x80004002
err:ole:CoMarshalInterface Failed to marshal the interface {6d5140c1-7436-11ce-8034-00aa006009fa}, 80004002
err:ole:get_local_server_stream Failed: 80004002
err:module:load_builtin_dll failed to load .so lib for builtin L"winemp3.acm": libmpg123.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
fixme:ntdll:NtLockFile I/O completion on lock not implemented yet
err:mscoree:LoadLibraryShim error reading registry key for installroot
fixme:ntdll:NtLockFile I/O completion on lock not implemented yet
fixme:dwmapi:DwmIsCompositionEnabled 0x6dbd1518
fixme:iphlpapi:NotifyIpInterfaceChange (family 0, callback 0x69ebd3de, context 0x8b6440, init_notify 0, handle 0x119e1a0): stub
/lib/ld-linux.so.2: not an i386 ELF binary... don't know how to load it
wine: configuration in '/root/.wine' has been updated.
/lib/ld-linux.so.2: not an i386 ELF binary... don't know how to load it
the error in the last line changed after I copied a 64-bit library into the 32-bit folder and renamed it to ld-linux.so.2.Before it reported that it could not open the ld-linux.so.2 (there was no such file or similar in the folder):

/lib/ld-linux.so.2: could not open
wine: configuration in '/root/.wine' has been updated.
/lib/ld-linux.so.2: could not open
I called wine64, yet it is looking for a library in the /lib folder and not in /lib64, apparently.

if I call "wine" I get the following error:
bash: /usr/bin/wine: No such file or directory
however the "wine" file IS present in the directory.

I admit I have tried to install earlier versions of wine which were not 64bit and probably botched what I could. Only later I installed some updates from the updates manager that I thought might have been important, something with 32-bit compatibility (for the life of me can't find it now). So maybe an instruction how to purge wine leftovers from previous installation attempts would be a good start.

Curious to hear about what problems you had installing wine tho, and how have you solved it?

I have been a fan of puppy for a while, but never used it as a primary desktop, so bear with me, I'm total noob. Have vague understanding of ppm and updates. Might be I missed some important step like a full system update. I have mainly used puppy as a live rescue distro before, never attempted to install wine before or deal with minor issues. if there is some sort of a slacko64 manual please link.

thanks a bunch :)
Last edited by hofy on Tue 30 Aug 2016, 12:52, edited 1 time in total.

B.K. Johnson

#234 Post by B.K. Johnson »

@Sailor Enceladus
@hofy
Re small window boxes in slacko, I suspect it is a yad issue. I have been doing some development on tahr-6.0.5 with yad and see these small boxes repeatedly. Please post the version of yad you have on your system, please.
[color=blue]B.K. Johnson
tahrpup-6.0.5 PAE (upgraded from 6.0 =>6.0.2=>6.0.3=>6.0.5 via quickpet/PPM=Not installed); slacko-5.7 occasionally. Frugal install, pupsave file, multi OS flashdrive, FAT32 , SYSLINUX boot, CPU-Dual E2140, 4GB RAM[/color]

Pelo

action, clap the blue

#235 Post by Pelo »

Slacko 64 : demo on you tube by Yonn Lopez.
Menus are clear, readable, take a glance. Yonn lopez speek slowly, so people should uderstand his comments, even if they are not native English speakers
action, clap the blue
Attachments
Yonn Lopez.jpg
Yonn Lopez is fond of Slacko. Browse for videos about your own Slacko !
(21.65 KiB) Downloaded 1196 times

Pelo

Wine (32 & 64) for Slackware: Merci PeeBee

#236 Post by Pelo »

Wine (32 & 64) for Slackware: Merci PeeBee
Most of applications loaded for Windows 7 are now blocked by security. Wine will allow me to run them, with my Puppy.

Billtoo

slacko64-6.3.0

#237 Post by Billtoo »

I did a new install to a 64GB flash drive:

System: Host: eMachines-D620 Kernel: 4.1.11 x86_64 (64 bit) Desktop: JWM 2.3.2 Distro: Slacko64 Puppy 6.3.2
Machine: Device: portable System: eMachines product: eMachines D620 v: 0100 serial: LXN240Y006844B0D5C2200
Mobo: eMachines model: eMachines D620 v: Rev serial: LXN240Y006844B0D5C2200
BIOS: Phoenix v: V1.03 date: 09/26/2008
Battery BAT0: charge: 35.3 Wh 94.9% condition: 37.2/44.0 Wh (85%)
CPU: Single core AMD Athlon 2650e (-UP-) speed/max: 800/1600 MHz
Graphics: Card: AMD/ATI [Advanced Micro Devices ] RS690M [Radeon Xpress 1200/1250/1270]
Display Server: X.org 1.14.3 drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: modesetting,fbdev,vesa)
tty size: 115x43 Advanced Data: N/A for root
Network: Card-1: Marvell 88E8040 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller driver: sky2
Card-2: Broadcom BCM4312 802.11b/g LP-PHY driver: b43-pci-bridge
Drives: HDD Total Size: 224.6GB (1.6% used)
Weather: Conditions: 34 F (1 C) - Overcast Time: December 31, 12:54 PM EST
Info: Processes: 108 Uptime: 59 min Memory: 186.7/1745.7MB Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.3.7

total used free shared buffers
Mem: 1787592 1660028 127564 740036 143884
-/+ buffers: 1516144 271448
Swap: 2103292 0 2103292

Updated PPM and installed kdegames,palemoon, and a few other
applications.

It's working well.
Attachments
Screenshot.jpg
(104.92 KiB) Downloaded 1038 times

OscarTalks

#238 Post by OscarTalks »

Thought I would have a go at compiling the latest svn snapshot of MPlayer with GUI in Slacko64 6.3.0

There was a problem with the ffmpeg master source code (libavutil) which gets downloaded as part of the build process. (Same happened in Tahr64).

So I substituted the latest ffmpeg release (3.2.2) source code and prevented it from updating to master again. Latest MPlayer (37916) then compiles successfully and of course has codec support such as HEVC/h265 which is missing from the native one.

I have uploaded a .pet package in case anyone wants to take a look. It does overwrite /usr/local/bin/defaultmediaplayer and also adds mplayer to right-click>OpenWith
http://smokey01.com/OscarTalks
Oscar in England

orrin

Slacko 64-6.3.2

#239 Post by orrin »

Since Slacko 64-6.3.2 is a bit dated... is there a new version in the works since there is a new version of Slackware?
[color=#FF0000]Engineer/Photographer/Webmaster[/color]
[img]https://i.postimg.cc/fL9MypfV/sig-image.png[/img]