Trying to set up Netgear USB WPN111 on sulu-002 -- SOLVED :)

Clif McIrvin

#21 Post by Clif McIrvin »

Ulp. I let my prepaid data plan expire. Of course I cannot see the outside world. :oops:

Clif McIrvin

Now Working!

#22 Post by Clif McIrvin »

Renewing the subscription to my MiFi hotspot was all it took.
Once I turn off the DSL and switch over to the hotspot exclusively it won't take me so long to figure out when the jar runs empty, perhaps. ;)

So - yes, indeed the WPN511 connects with WPA2.

@bigpup - many thanks for hanging in with me -- much appreciated!
(since it's working with SNS I won't bother trying Dougal's)
@Mike - always a pleasure when we have an opportunity to share ideas!

Now to run some performance checks to see how this will compare with the DSL I've been using -- which was the whole point of the exercise from the get go!

Clif

Clif McIrvin

speedtest

#23 Post by Clif McIrvin »

Initial testing suggests connection speeds through my mobile hotspot could be 2x or more faster than what I was seeing on my AT&T DSL service - for slightly less $$ per month.

Download varied from 0.930 to 1.56 Mbps, vs. 330 - 410 Kbps on DSL.

I tested with ATT Speedtest, Verizon and Ookla; except that Ookla never would succeed on the DSL connection.

So far, so good. Time will tell.

Clif

Mike Walsh

#24 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ Clif:-
Clif McIrvin wrote:Ulp. I let my prepaid data plan expire. Of course I cannot see the outside world. :oops:

If you want to keep an eye on your dataplan usage, why not try BitMeterOS?

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=99025

I brought this to the community's attention a little over 3 years ago; at that time, I, too, was on a limited dataplan. Since then, we've gone 'unlimited'.....but I still use it to keep an eye on things (especially watching NetFlix, which gobbles up data like there's no tomorrow!)

I originally found it when I started on Linux with Ubuntu, a year earlier, but found it worked fine with Puppy. Personally, I've stuck with the older, 'stable' 0.7.6; the newer 0.8.0 also measures LAN usage, but is not so stable in use. Its author switched to a newer variant of the SQL database when he built it, and it didn't prove to be as reliable as he'd hoped.

0.7.6 is as reliable as the day is long. My oldest copy of it is approaching 3 years since install (in Precise 571), and is still faithfully recording data usage for me!

Just a suggestion.

bigpup

#25 Post by bigpup »

Great news to hear!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ulp. I let my prepaid data plan expire. Of course I cannot see the outside world.
So, you had to turn it on! :lol:

It always seems to always be a simple thing.

Still wondering why all the specs on that WIFI card are wrong.
Even looked it up at Netgear.
Maybe they have more than one production version of that card.
I have seen the same hardware have different features, based on when they made it. When it first came out, opposed to later productions.

Good that Mike Walsh had the same card.

That was fun! :shock: :lol:
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)