Recording Package Artful

Audio editors, music players, video players, burning software, etc.
Smithy

Recording Package Artful

#1 Post by Smithy »

Good moaning,
I've put together a musicians/engineering/production/audio tinkering sketchpad package for this ISO. Music2GO ISO only I think.
This comprises Qtractor audio midi sequencer recorder with integrated lin vst converter.
Cadence GUI controller for the Jack audio connection kit. This is a replacement for the usual qjackctl GUI.
A few commonly used effects like reverb, delay, phaser, compressor, flanger, eq and master limiter.
These are old but good Kjaerhus bread and butter fx.

I've done two versions of Cadence by Falk TX, one is a mini version that just contains the useful control panel for Jack2. 20mb
Cadence full version contains extra tools for rendering and patching and using x y mouse i.e complex setups. 54mb

Qtractor is a good application, it's like Audacity on steroids.

HOWTO:
Install either Cadence-mini or Cadence full, depending on requirements (not both).
http://www.smokey01.com/Smithy/Artful%2 ... e-mini.pet
http://www.smokey01.com/Smithy/Artful%2 ... e-full.pet

Install Jack2 Artful.
http://www.smokey01.com/Smithy/Artful%2 ... artful.pet

Install Qtractor.
http://www.smokey01.com/Smithy/Artful%2 ... artful.pet

1.Click on Jack Control in Multimedia menu and setup your sound card (alsa panel in Cadence).

2.Start Qtractor, try adding an audio or midi track and save as Default. Close down.

3.Start Qtractor again and click on track properties/ plugins/add.

Hopefully it should scan for the plugins located in root/vst.
It might take a couple of Qtractor restarts before the scan starts and renders the fx plugins, but will get there eventually, like an old car with wet spark plugs, then you can save the setup in root Qtractor folder.
Once your setup is established with your particular machine it should be rock solid.

A note about Lin-VST in the multimedia menu.
Basically you throw VST intrument and fx dlls that you like into root/vst.
Then start LIN VST, find the renderer linvst.so in usr/bin, find the dll (root/vst) folder, then convert.
This will convert and add *.so files so that the plugins will load in a linuxish compatible format.
Some will work very well, but some plugins may be just too complex to handle. Junk them for less pain.
There are of course LADSPA, LV2 and other plugin formats available from erm..where. Invada Calf springs to mind.

If you are new to Qtractor, Cadence, Jack and Lin VST it might be an idea to read up on this software a bit,
but it is fairly intuitive.

3.a A few screenies to show what the hell is going on.
Attachments
plugins2.png
(183.45 KiB) Downloaded 485 times
plugins.png
(112.2 KiB) Downloaded 482 times
root-vst-folder.png
(30.43 KiB) Downloaded 483 times
scan-for3.png
(36.93 KiB) Downloaded 477 times
scan-for2.png
(11.56 KiB) Downloaded 495 times
qtractor-scan-for-plugins1.png
(20.53 KiB) Downloaded 496 times
jack setup 2.png
(71.85 KiB) Downloaded 499 times
jack setup.png
(70.41 KiB) Downloaded 195 times

foxpup

#2 Post by foxpup »

Hi Smithy
I've had a nice experience using your music2go-artful one evening, just surfing and chatting. It has a nice 'artful' look and works good. I remember it indicates the minutes to go before battery is empty and so I could time to stop just in time, long past bedtime ;-)

I wondered why "music2go" but I understand now.
I am a total noob at music/sound on computer, but I am tempted to try it. Can I take off with just a recent laptop? Or do I need something else?

Smithy

#3 Post by Smithy »

Hi foxpup, I'm glad it runs well for you.

Yes, you should be able to do what you need to do with a laptop, plug a guitar into the input, or a usb midi cable and keyboard into it, or a microphone. Remix a track etc etc.

On a simple level, Qtractor works much like Audacity, so if you use it like that you will get the feel for it. Then if you want to explore further, maybe go to Rui's Qtractor forum to find out the more extensive capabilities of the application.

http://www.rncbc.org/drupal/forum/9

ITSMERSH

#4 Post by ITSMERSH »

Hi Smithy.

What is different in Music2Go compared to Artful Puppy, that makes it run in Music2Go but NOT in Artful?

I tested this in Artful, but it didn't work. Qtractor complained some missing qt stuff like qt plugin xcb etc.pp.

What about a version of 'Recording Package Artful' including Hydrogen and ZynAddSubFx, to make people more curious downloading Music2Go?

Edit: or probably building a Music2Go iso with all that programs and dependenciess built in? :D

So to say: ready to go on Music2Go! 8)

Smithy

#5 Post by Smithy »

Hi RSH,
I actually intended this thread to be in music2go thread but hit new topic instead of reply.
Welcome back btw :wink:
Yes you are right, there are extra qt5 libs mostly I think to run Qtractor in Artful regular. I could backtrack and work them out, but not just at the moment.

I'm letting the dust settle on these new apps, especially lin-vst.
I don't know why it takes so long to load plugins especially like when they are already in..RAM! Dssi-vst used to do it in milliseconds.
Apart from that it's very good. And I'm chillin' out now for a bit.

Htop is pretty busy when they do finally load...where's the flush, when you're done..oh yes, restart x.
They might end up in an ISO eventually if they pass muster. 8)

I know you are working on N.E.M.E.S.I.S but if you get the chance to do a Hydrogen and a ZynAddSubFX pet that would be cool.

ITSMERSH

#6 Post by ITSMERSH »

Hi Smithy.

N.E.M.E.S.I.S. development is just a small task I'm working on these days. Mostly I'm composing music in my LazY Puppy Art Studio based on Tahr 6.0.2 besides the rehearsals of my Band Helix Research Out house (which is very time consuming as we do music in 95% odd rhythms only, like 5/4, 5/8, 7/8, 9/8, 9/16, 11/16, 13/16).

Building/creating packages is not on my top list of doing things needed, and this won't change for the next months, sorry.

If there were a complete package collection of JACK, Qtractor, Hydrogen and ZynAddSubFx plus the plugins (ladspa, lv2 and dssi) I would have tried to download Music2Go and gave it a go.

Still I don't see the difference between Artful and Music2Go...

Smithy

#7 Post by Smithy »

Just had a listen on youtube RSH.

That is a great tone you get from the massive drum kit, the whole thing had a Led Zep Kashmiri feel to it. Just the two of you then?
The guitarist/sitarist/bassist has got good tones too!

Great stuff.

ITSMERSH

#8 Post by ITSMERSH »

Smithy wrote:Just had a listen on youtube RSH.

That is a great tone you get from the massive drum kit, the whole thing had a Led Zep Kashmiri feel to it. Just the two of you then?
The guitarist/sitarist/bassist has got good tones too!

Great stuff.
Aahhh, really?

Good, at least one has noticed my signature. :wink:

Yes, it's just the two of us, Drums and Tap Guitar (which is somehow inspired by the Chapman Stick, but it's much better by the MIDI interface and the Roland Guitar Synthesizer) - plus a Live Loop Sampler.

The "Led Zep Kashmiri feel"?

You mean the part where I'm playing 4/4 on top of the 7/8 from the Loop Sampler?

The name of the Song is Radikaldemokrat (Radical Democrat). That part suggests the different opinions in a democracy one has to live with as a true democrat. Even if it doesn't seem to be compatible there is some short moments where it definitely fits together. In live situations we do start this song using a sample of Ronald Reagan talking about Democracy and its needs to concern the individual and the minorities.

We really do like stuff like that. :D

The drum kit has 22 drums, 28 cymbals plus 7 pedals (4 BD, 2 HH, 1 Cable/Wire HH).

The two other videos are using the samples made from that drum kit. I made a drum kit for Hydrogen and am using it in combination with Qtractor and ZynAddSubFx - which is my basic home recording setup.

The Radical Democrat video was recorded with Rollei Action Cameras. Audio was recorded in 2-track-stereo with Audacity and all videos are edited and mixed with KdenLive using my LazY Puppy Art Studio (based on Tahr 6.0.2).

I published the Radical Democrat video to give people a short preview of what they might get, if they would come to our concert on 6th of September 2018. This concert should have happen already on 12th of April, but I got sick the week before and had to stay in bed.
Great stuff.
Thanks! :D

Smithy

#9 Post by Smithy »

Oh right, you are playing 4/4 over a 7/8 loop, innovative, yes it sounded a bit Led Zep and even a bit of Gong! Just my opinion.
Bonham was great.

You got plenty of time to invite Einstürzende Neubauten, Kraftwerk and Propaganda to your gig :)

I do believe that Kraftwerk would only communicate by telephone, and even then it had to be on a Sunday at precisely 12:P.M. If you phoned at 11:59 or 12:01 you were f**cked :)

"The Radical Democrat video was recorded with Rollei Action Cameras. Audio was recorded in 2-track-stereo with Audacity and all videos are edited and mixed with KdenLive using my LazY Puppy Art Studio (based on Tahr 6.0.2)".

Just goes to show what can be achieved with a puppy!

I missed the other two vids, will check them out...