Booting as Fido errors : X not launched

Booting, installing, newbie
JLuc

Booting as Fido errors : X not launched

#1 Post by JLuc »

I am using puppy linux 18.04 and I want to log as fido BUT I can't open a session as Fido.

sda1 features a lubuntu install and menu.lst for grub4dos
sda3 features puppylinux from your repo

When booting as fido, an error occurs :
"failed to create symbolic link /usr/bin/X : permission denied"
"Starting X. Specs in /etc/X11/xorgs.conf., startup app /root/.xinitrc"

At this point a console opens, dedicated to fixing X, but i dont see any usefull option.
("xwin" issues same error message and back to console.
"xwinwizard" launches manual setup abilities (no success))

I tried several times, and installed several times anew.
Install with root user are fine, but install as fido hang with this same error message and console.

How can i have fido running ?

I want session to run as fido so as to prevent user to spread files all over / and restrict file writing to /root. Are there other tools to achieve this ? Or other extra-light advised distros ?

watchdog

#2 Post by watchdog »

User "fido" was very experimental. The last time that I saw a working fido frugal install was with precise 5.7.1. It no longer works for me. You can run the browser as spot user. Spot user is more supported e you can choose to use it in quicksettings at first setup. When you want to run something as spot open a console and run it with run-as-spot:

Code: Select all

run-as-spot script

JLuc

#3 Post by JLuc »

I'm not sure exactly how this relates to my issue. I wish to prevent the user to spread files all over / = restrict file viewing and writing to /root.

Maybe there is some file browser that enables this or some file browser setting or plugin ?

watchdog

#4 Post by watchdog »

If you use user spot for the browser then the profile is stored in /root/spot. If you download anything with that browser then it is stored in /root/spot. If you run any program as spot then the config files are stored in /root/spot. I think that the best and easiest choice is to run only the browser as spot: you can set this at first setup in quicksetup.

mostly_lurking

#5 Post by mostly_lurking »

JLuc wrote:I'm not sure exactly how this relates to my issue. I wish to prevent the user to spread files all over / = restrict file viewing and writing to /root.
Who is "the user"? Is it you, and you just want to prevent some programs from creating files in places where you don't want them? In that case, running just those programs as limited user, as some people suggested already, would suffice. If the user is another person, and you don't want them to touch anything outside of their home directory, you might be better off using a system with real multiuser support. Or maybe use Puppy with multiple (encrypted) savefiles - one for each user.
JLuc wrote:Maybe there is some file browser that enables this or some file browser setting or plugin ?
You can run your file manager as restricted user, too.