64 bit Tahr browser

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
J_D_

64 bit Tahr browser

#1 Post by J_D_ »

I have been using tahr for years. best OS ever for my needs. Been using 64 bit for at least a year, probably more. My question is, what browser is best ? Pale Moon rocks but no longer plays well with my Yahoo mail. I like Firefox but but I get no sound. What is a good browser that does everything for my 64 bit Tahrpup ?
Much thanks to the guys that make all this possible.

dancytron

#2 Post by dancytron »

Fred has made a Firefox portable with the sound fix built in. Portable in the since that you can put it in /mnt/home and it doesn't fill up your save file or you can put it in /opt if you want it in your save file.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=112376

Mike Walsh

#3 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ J_D_:-

I know they're not to everybody's liking, but there's also my Google Chrome and/or SRWare Iron browser packages (which I've been building for a while).

If you're interested, you can find Chrome here:-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 426#994426

.....and Iron here:-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 533#992533

Chrome auto-updates Pepperflash automatically. Iron doesn't, but unlike peebee, who re-packs Chromium every time Pepperflash is updated, I provide an auto-updater package, built on the work by our Russian colleague SFS. You can find that here:-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 126#976126

Just make sure you grab the correct one, so the paths are right.....Iron expects to find Pepperflash in the /usr/lib/adobe-flashplugin directory (which in Pup is a sym-link from the /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins directory, alongside standard Flashplayer). Currently, this is a separate .pet, but I'm considering building it in to the Iron package in future; Adobe work to a regular 6-weekly release schedule with Flash & Pepper, and this doesn't always coincide with the browser updates!

I build these in Tahr64, so I know they definitely work with it. Your choice, of course.

Mike. :wink:
Last edited by Mike Walsh on Sun 12 Aug 2018, 22:13, edited 1 time in total.

J_D_

#4 Post by J_D_ »

Thanks for the quick replies. I will give these options a try when I get time. I do not even hate switching between pale moon and FF but it would be nice to not need to.

J_D_

#5 Post by J_D_ »

I found the Firefox download. Do I need to create a package or just unzip and click on it to install ? Sorry to be stupid but quickpet has me spoiled.

Mike Walsh

#6 Post by Mike Walsh »

J_D_ wrote:I found the Firefox download. Do I need to create a package or just unzip and click on it to install ? Sorry to be stupid but quickpet has me spoiled.
@J_D_:-

If that's Fred's portable-Firefox-Quantum you're talking about, simply extract the package into /opt (you should end up with a 'firefox64' directory in /opt.)

The very first time you run it, navigate to the /opt/firefox64 directory, and start it by clicking on the 'ff' script; this makes sure your profile, etc., is all set up inside that directory.....keeps it 'portable', y'see.

After the first run, if you install the attached MenuEntry .pet, you can start it from the Menu, or drag the .desktop entry to the desktop and start it from there.

Attachments
FF_Quantum-MenuEntry.pet
Menu entry for Fred's 'Quantum-portable'...
(77.32 KiB) Downloaded 112 times

J_D_

#7 Post by J_D_ »

I have not forgotten this. Must have done something wrong. FF would not open. Will try again soon. Now my cooling fan has died so I may be trying this on a new laptop. The new laptop may require a new thread.

fredx181

#8 Post by fredx181 »

It may be that Tahr is missing a library to run the portable Firefox Quantum.
Try to run from terminal (standing in the firefox64 directory) (to see if there are any errors):

Code: Select all

./ff
Fred

Mike Walsh

#9 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ J_D_:-

Mm. Actually, you might be just as well to download the latest version from Mozilla, extract, manually place it into /opt, then run it as normal. That's what I originally did.....before Fred released his 'portable' build.

I was assuming (a dangerous practice..!) that Fred's FF-portable should work in Tahr64, same as it has in all my 32-bit Pups. Fred may be right about there being something missing in Tahr64.

If you do as suggested, the Menu-Entry .pet above should still work. Just rename the /opt/firefox directory to /opt/firefox64.

fredx181

#10 Post by fredx181 »

Mike Walsh wrote:Mm. Actually, you might be just as well to download the latest version from Mozilla, extract, manually place it into /opt, then run it as normal.
OK, but that would require pulseaudio (or apulse) installed, otherwise sound doesn't work from e.g. YouTube video.
The portable has apulse already included (to make the sound work).

Fred

Mike Walsh

#11 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, Fred.
fredx181 wrote:OK, but that would require pulseaudio (or apulse) installed, otherwise sound doesn't work from e.g. YouTube video.
The portable has apulse already included (to make the sound work).
Correct. I seem to remember I used Oscar's 'apulse' .pet.....'twas easy enough to do. But, as you say, it is one extra step; your FF-portable has all this guff already 'built-in'.

It's just a suggestion from my own experience with Tahr64.

J_D_

#12 Post by J_D_ »

I downloaded pulseaudio several months ago but did not know how to install it. It has been a while so I do not recall what I did. I have too much going on right now so I try things when I can. I will try the suggestions offered as I am able. Thanks to all of you.

J_D_

#13 Post by J_D_ »

For the record, I uninstalled Palemoon. Downloaded an older version, 27.2 I think. Yahoo says it is unsupported but at least it will let me use Yahoo mail. Thats all I really wanted. Now I need to remember to not update it.

Mike Walsh

#14 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, J_D_.
J_D_ wrote:For the record, I uninstalled Palemoon. Downloaded an older version, 27.2 I think. Yahoo says it is unsupported but at least it will let me use Yahoo mail. Thats all I really wanted. Now I need to remember to not update it.
Well, you've got it sorted for what you want to use it for. That's all that really matters. At least with PaleMoon, the updater is purely manual; you have to make the conscious decision to run it.....unlike Firefox, which will auto-update unless you specifically tell it not to..!