Problem updating 32bit Firefox Quantum v60 to v61 [SOLVED]

Using applications, configuring, problems
r__hughes

Problem updating 32bit Firefox Quantum v60 to v61 [SOLVED]

#1 Post by r__hughes »

I have just encountered a problem updating Firefox v60.0.1 to v61.

I am using a frugal Slacko 5.7 npae with an updateable version of 32bit Firefox Quantum derived from firefox-34.0.5.tar.bz2.

My Firefox has been updated successfully from the above v34 through all intermediate versions to its present v60.0.1 and apart from a FFv46 update problem requiring the missing libgtk-3 has worked and updated fine.

But now it will not restart after updating to v61.0.1 the error message is:
firefox3: symbol lookup error: /initrd/mnt/dev-save/firefox3/libxu1.so: undefined symbol: dbus_validate_bus_name
(My firefox directory is /mnt/home/firefox3 to save space in my savefile)

Does any body else have the same problem or know how to resolve the libxu1.so undefined symbol error?
Last edited by r__hughes on Wed 15 Aug 2018, 14:32, edited 2 times in total.
--- quad booting Slacko57NPAE, Slacko56NPAE, Slacko55PAE (with OO4, devx, Gimp) & WXP on DELL Dimension 2400 PC & DELL Latitude 630 Laptop using grub.
---USB-Flash booting same on Samsung N110 WXP Netbook and Lenovo q100 WXP netPC.

dancytron

#2 Post by dancytron »

Take a look at this thread. Not sure if they ever solved it.
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=113814

OscarTalks

#3 Post by OscarTalks »

One small point of order, it is libxul.so not libxu1.so (lower case "L" not number one).
Testing Mozilla build of Firefox 61.0.1 in Slacko 5.7
Undefined symbol error for dbus confirmed here.
I notice it works fine in Wheezy which has a later dbus and libdbus 1.6.8
Transplanting the libdbus from Wheezy into Slacko 5.7 fixes the problem.
Rather than replacing libdbus in the entire system I just arranged for Firefox to find the Wheezy libdbus first.
To do this I put the Wheezy libdbus inside the firefox directory (the apulse libraries for sound are in there also anyway) and launch with a script which gives priority to this directory.
Oscar in England

Mike Walsh

#4 Post by Mike Walsh »

Strange.

I've got Quantum 61.0.1 running perfectly in Slacko 570.....and I don't remember ever messing around with libdbus. At all.

?????

(*scratches head*)

(*shrug*)

:D

Mike. :wink:

r__hughes

#5 Post by r__hughes »

Thank you Oscar and dancytron.
Oscar where can I get a copy of this wheezy libdbus 1.6.8 of which you speak.

I found the Debian libdbus package download but had problems making use of it :(

Any suggestions?
--- quad booting Slacko57NPAE, Slacko56NPAE, Slacko55PAE (with OO4, devx, Gimp) & WXP on DELL Dimension 2400 PC & DELL Latitude 630 Laptop using grub.
---USB-Flash booting same on Samsung N110 WXP Netbook and Lenovo q100 WXP netPC.

OscarTalks

#6 Post by OscarTalks »

Looks like you found the package but just to verify it is here:-
https://packages.debian.org/wheezy/libdbus-1-3
Obviously you want the i386 version.
Extract the lib from the .deb using UExtract or similar and you can place it where you want.
Can be in the firefox directory with script as I did.
This leaves the original libdbus in place for all other programs

Otherwise replace the original with this one in /usr/lib
Remember to make sure the symlink now links to this new lib.
Alternatively you could install in /lib which should give it priority over anything in /usr/lib
Actually just clicking the .deb to install should do that.
Those 2 methods transplant libdbus for everything, but it might not be a problem if you do this.
Oscar in England

r__hughes

#7 Post by r__hughes »

Thanks for the help Oscar

B.K. Johnson

#8 Post by B.K. Johnson »

Hi All
I have FFox 61.0.1 running OK on tahr-6.0.6 except for sound on websites including YouTube. FFox-61.0.1 was installed manually to /opt/ overriding what was previously installed - I don't remember the version. What is the definitive procedure to get sound working?
TIA
[color=blue]B.K. Johnson
tahrpup-6.0.5 PAE (upgraded from 6.0 =>6.0.2=>6.0.3=>6.0.5 via quickpet/PPM=Not installed); slacko-5.7 occasionally. Frugal install, pupsave file, multi OS flashdrive, FAT32 , SYSLINUX boot, CPU-Dual E2140, 4GB RAM[/color]

OscarTalks

#9 Post by OscarTalks »

What I would suggest is grab the correct apulse .pet (32bit or 64bit) from
http://smokey01.com/OscarTalks
Rather than installing it normally, extract the 3 libs and put them in /opt/firefox
Launch with a script (as /usr/bin/firefox or whatever)

#!/bin/sh
# give priority to the firefox directory and then launch
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/firefox:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
/opt/firefox/firefox "$@"

Give that a try. They keep changing things so not sure. I don't run this version of Firefox, did briefly test it though. You might need to reduce security.sandbox.content.level to a number lower than 4 in about:config but maybe not.
Oscar in England

B.K. Johnson

#10 Post by B.K. Johnson »

@OscarTalks
Thanks Oscar. Your suggestion worked without need for changing anything in about:config.
[color=blue]B.K. Johnson
tahrpup-6.0.5 PAE (upgraded from 6.0 =>6.0.2=>6.0.3=>6.0.5 via quickpet/PPM=Not installed); slacko-5.7 occasionally. Frugal install, pupsave file, multi OS flashdrive, FAT32 , SYSLINUX boot, CPU-Dual E2140, 4GB RAM[/color]