Arch User Repository compromised. Malware added

For discussions about security.
greengeek

Arch User Repository compromised. Malware added

#1 Post by greengeek »

The Arch User Repository has been compromised with the addition of some malware, as discussed here:
https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2018/0 ... h-malware/

Seems as if the Arch admins are not overly concerned - basically stating that any repository can become contaminated and it is a case of "buyer beware - if you don't trust it don't install it."

Another timely reminder that adding new software (or allowing updates to previous software or system files) opens the door to increased risk.

spiritwild

#2 Post by spiritwild »

So..... Per the article, ARCH people think they are tech gods?
Is their response or lack of concern a display of arrogance or what?

8Geee

#3 Post by 8Geee »

Wow, The admins have been compromised, too :shock:
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

anikin

#4 Post by anikin »

What exactly has been compromised?

AUR (Arch User Repository) is an unsupported repository, where untrusted users publish their recipes/build scripts/PKGBUILD, like for example this one:
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/palemoon/
https://aur.archlinux.org/cgit/aur.git/ ... h=palemoon

There are no binaries there - only recipes. Embarrassing - yes. Compromised - hardly.

scsijon

#5 Post by scsijon »

Blame is being placed on systemd

quotes:

The aim of the modified lines in acroread was to use curl to download scripts from a remote site, and the script would (if it worked) reconfigure systemd to restart on a regular basis.

looks like systemd makes it easier for compromises - one platform (systemdOS) one payload…

and a "few" others.

Be carefull folks....

wiak

#6 Post by wiak »

scsijon wrote:looks like systemd makes it easier for compromises - one platform (systemdOS) one payload.
Perhaps, but I don't see how systemd components are easier to compromise than systeminit components - main security issue would seem to be that of the malware app user running it whilst having root user permissions surely?

In the Puppy Linux world, dotpets are put up here and there by anyone who feels fit. Only well-tested and wanted ones end up in official repositories, that's true but murga forum site isn't so much different from AUR, which is also for user recipes (EDIT: except that the murga forum is less secure since it includes binaries and more often quite complex shell-script apps, not just recipes).
wiak

spiritwild

#7 Post by spiritwild »

I remember, about 20 years ago on a nascar forum, someone thought they would open a file account and give all the users the name and password info in a public message.

I was blown away and I thought it was the worst idea on the entire planet. The internet had not been around that long so maybe people still felt safe in their little shell of fans. Coming from a BBS background it was the same as giving everyone on usenet my sysop password.

I made it known that I thought that was not a good Idea because of obvious reasons but my concerns fell on deaf ears.

When it was hacked and someone changed the password, They all blamed me. Because no one else on the whole damn planet would have though to walk through an open door and steal the goodies. Since I had concerns, I invited the crime to happen. I was amused.

Ah the good ol days.