Your favorite Puppy?

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
mikeslr

My favorite Puppy was Saluki

#21 Post by mikeslr »

Hi All,

My favorite Puppy was Saluki. I don't run it any longer; nor its last successor, Carolina 1.3. But for me, it was the variation which took Puppy from functional to functional, elegant and efficient. It made me curious about how Puppies were constructed; an explorer rather than a mere user whose customizations consisted of changing the Wallpaper and adding some pets a developer hadn't included.

a_salty_dogg

#22 Post by a_salty_dogg »

@nic007

You can also download the latest version directly from the Palemoon site here then, having closed the browser and renamed the original folder as "palemoon_old", uinzip the new one straight into "/opt".

That way, should there be any bugs in the new build or it doesn't play nicely with any websites or extensions, not unheard of with new browser versions, you can restore the old version, otherwise just delete it after a few days if all's OK.

Also if you run several Puppys on the same drive and have symlinked your palemoon folder from "home", just need to do the same and unzip the new version to there instead and you've automatically updated them all at once!

Billtoo

Your favorite Puppy?

#23 Post by Billtoo »

My *new* favorite pup is xenialpup64, it's got Kodi 17.6 and plenty of other audio-video stuff.

Still like slacko64 and dpup-stretch-7.5 rc3 as well :)
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
(90.85 KiB) Downloaded 214 times

belham2

Re: Your favorite Puppy?

#24 Post by belham2 »

Billtoo wrote:My *new* favorite pup is xenialpup64, it's got Kodi 17.6 and plenty of other audio-video stuff.

Still like slacko64 and dpup-stretch-7.5 rc3 as well :)

Billtoo,

Can I ask, have you done any recent builds using woof-CE for xenialpup64?

If so, which build (testing, rationalize or master) and is there any difference you're seeing (without you adding and/or modifying anything, kernel and/or program-wise) from Phil's original xenialpup64 release last year? Or does a xenialpup64 woof-CE build done today just do the same thing Phil released?

I thought Phil was the maintainer of the woof-CE version, thus since there's nothing been done by him since the last release, there's no use in a doing a current build (again, a pristine build and not one where we modify it adding what we want). I may be wrong, but I wanted to ask first since I don't want to do a build of xenailpup64 from woof-CE today if there's nothing inherently different from what Phil already released.

Thanks for any clarification.

P.S. Again, I know you mod builds heavily....I am trying to ask about straight up, pristine woof-CE builds----are they different from what the maintainer (in this case, Phil) already released. I was sad to see a Slacko64 master build I did the other day was not any different from what Micko released quite a long time ago----only thing changed was updated apps, no actual changes to Slacko of any significance I could tell/find.

Billtoo

Re: Your favorite Puppy?

#25 Post by Billtoo »

belham2 wrote:
P.S. Again, I know you mod builds heavily....I am trying to ask about straight up, pristine woof-CE builds----are they different from what the maintainer (in this case, Phil) already released. I was sad to see a Slacko64 master build I did the other day was not any different from what Micko released quite a long time ago----only thing changed was updated apps, no actual changes to Slacko of any significance I could tell/find.
Hi belham2,

This is Phil's xenialpup64, I downloaded the iso + devx from nluug,checked the
sha256 sum for the devx and the iso.
Applied the xenialpup updates from quickpet, and updated PPM.
I added
vlc,smplayer,smtube,kpat,kiriki,kshisen,inxi,gkrellm,lxterminal, with
PPM.
I downloaded kodi-17.6-x86_64.sfs from the puppylinux site on ibiblio,
it didn't download from quickpet for some reason.
Also used the palemoon updater to 27.9.4
Only change that I did was to update the kernel afterwards.

EDIT: In my Slacko64 build:

I added the pet that norgo suggested in the woof-ce needs you thread
and it improved the video in kodi, thanks norgo.

video-info-glx 1.5.3 Mon 30 Jul 2018 on Slacko64 Puppy 6.9.9.9 Linux 4.4.145 x86_64
2.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)

X Server: Xorg Driver: intel
X.Org version: 1.18.3
dimensions: 1920x1080 pixels (508x285 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: SGI
server glx version string: 1.4
OpenGL vendor string: Intel Open Source Technology Center
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) G41
OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 11.2.2

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz
Core 0: @2003 1: @2003 MHz
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
(80.13 KiB) Downloaded 209 times