Typing special characters in 64 bit Xenial Puppy (SOLVED)

Using applications, configuring, problems
Bushbuck

Typing special characters in 64 bit Xenial Puppy (SOLVED)

#1 Post by Bushbuck »

Back in Tahr Puppy 64 6.0.5, you could get an acute-accented e, by typing "Alt Gr ;" (which generated nothing on screen), and then "e", which generated the accented e glyph.

Various other keys near the semicolon switched on other accents and ornaments, in the same way. If I remember correctly, this behaviour has been around for a long time, in editions of Puppy since 2013.

This doesn't seem to be implemented in Xenial Puppy 64, so I wondered if there was a new way of getting accented characters, and things like the degree symbol.

Not urgent, as cut and paste can do the same thing; it's more curiosity. Is it a kernel feature?

On the whole, Xenial Puppy 64 is a brilliant update to Tahr Puppy 64, and I'm enjoying it.
Last edited by Bushbuck on Sat 07 Jul 2018, 16:06, edited 1 time in total.
Xenial Puppy 64, Gigabyte motherboard, Intel i7 4770.

Mike Walsh

#2 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ BushBuck:-

Have a look here.

It's a how-to I put together after discovering that a standard keyboard will generate far more characters than are printed on the keys!

These are Unicode characters; you need to hold down Shift+Control, type a 'u' followed by the particular 4-digit code you need for the character required. Then just release everything, and the character should show.

Rather than the first site I linked to, you may find the second one that drunkjedi linked to on page 2 is easier to use. Each character will give you the necessary 4-digit code if you simply hover over it.

I don't use them often, but I keep a small list of those I do want, together with their Unicode 'value'.

Hope that helps!

(EDIT:- There's also the Xkb Configuration Manager, which will give you different keyboard layouts, switchable via a shortcut key combo (great for characters with accents).....but I'm hanged if I can find the thread for it.)

I've got the .pet package if you're interested:- http://www.mediafire.com/file/vvoc8oy2n ... 0.pet/file

It's 32-bit, but will work in 64-bit Pups with the 32-bit_compat_libs SFS loaded. Xenial64 doesn't have its own SFS for this, but it appears that Tahr64's version will work fine with Xenial64.

Mike. :wink:

Bushbuck

#3 Post by Bushbuck »

Thanks, Mike, that's exactly what I needed. It's better (more flexible) than the old method. Will mark the thread as solved.

I only use a small range of the special characters, so will also be making a list.
Xenial Puppy 64, Gigabyte motherboard, Intel i7 4770.