Changing DNS servers - IPv4 settings

Using applications, configuring, problems
Subito Piano

Changing DNS servers - IPv4 settings

#1 Post by Subito Piano »

Hi! Configuring a computer for a family, I'm trying to set up OpenDNS to block adult sites on the computer rather than at the router level. I need to put their nameservers as the laptop's DNS servers. They provide instructions for Ubuntu, SUSE, OSX, Windows, and more, BUT after looking at them, I still can't figure out how to change the DNS in Puppy, and make sure it doesn't change back, too. Anybody know how to do this? Thanks in advance.
[color=green]"God is love" - [url=https://www.esv.org/1+John+4/]I John 4:12[/url][/color]
ðŸ￾§ ðŸ￾§ ðŸ￾§ Rockin' on a 2007 IBM/Lenovo T60 Centrino Duo with 32-bit XenialPup 7.5! :D
(A/V Linux for live digital synth needs)

OscarTalks

#2 Post by OscarTalks »

I was looking at this issue a few weeks back when experimenting with setting up my VPN implementation. I wanted to ensure that I could be able to eliminate the DNS server of my ISP in order to ensure privacy.

In Puppy I believe it depends to some extent on what network manager you are using.
You can find that, as you mentioned, manual configuration edits get changed back without you knowing about it.
BarryK's SNS works well in most scenarios, but lacks the capability to manually configure DNS. This is mentioned in the documentation.

The "Dougal" Network Wizard has this option available. I also like peasywifi by rcrsn51 which works perfectly for me and DNS settings can be configured by adding a file /etc/resolv.conf.head but this is not in most Puppies so has to be installed as a package. I did not test Frisbee.
Oscar in England

rcrsn51

#3 Post by rcrsn51 »

OscarTalks wrote:...and DNS settings can be configured by adding a file /etc/resolv.conf.head
All the Puppy connection managers that use dhcpcd should be able to use the same trick.

1. create the file /etc/resolv.conf.head
2. add a "nameserver" line with the DNS IP address

Code: Select all

nameserver 8.8.8.8

Subito Piano

#4 Post by Subito Piano »

Very good, thank you both. I was engaged all day yesterday (R&R w/ family!!!) so I will follow advice and report back. Since this computer is for another family and my home has filtering at the router level already, I will have to find somewhere else to test it, either in a few days or after a trip west, a few weeks from now.
[color=green]"God is love" - [url=https://www.esv.org/1+John+4/]I John 4:12[/url][/color]
ðŸ￾§ ðŸ￾§ ðŸ￾§ Rockin' on a 2007 IBM/Lenovo T60 Centrino Duo with 32-bit XenialPup 7.5! :D

Subito Piano

#5 Post by Subito Piano »

Perfect! I created /etc/resolv.conf.head containing the nameservers OpenDNS supplies for free (at least for home use):

Code: Select all

nameserver 208.67.222.123
nameserver 208.67.220.123
Works great. Thanks again.