mpv media player for Precise Puppy, tahrpup, Slacko

Audio editors, music players, video players, burning software, etc.
temp-account8260

#61 Post by temp-account8260 »

I have tried installing this on Slacko64-6.3.2 (kernel changed to 4.14.35) including the dependencies.

mpv appears in the applications menu, but running `mpv` in the terminal (with or without arguments) gives the error: "bash: /usr/bin/mpv: No such file or directory"
This path definitely points to an existing file, as shown by the file manager and by `ls` command. Clicking that file in Rox-Filer gives the same error.

I am completely lost with this error, so any help would be appreciated.

As a side note, the pre-installed gnome-mplayer 1.0.9b is not resizing video when I change window size or enable fullscreen (same with Firefox when using the mplayer plugins). Is this normal behaviour?

jrb

#62 Post by jrb »

temp-account8260 wrote:I have tried installing this on Slacko64-6.3.2
This is a 32bit .pet. The error message you received is fairly typical of trying to use a 32bit application in a 64bit system. :cry:

greengeek

#63 Post by greengeek »

Is there a way to get mpv to randomly play it's way through an entire directory of media files? (ie: shuffle mode)

I see you can drop a whole directory into the mpv window but it plays in alphabetical order which is a nuisance when tracks begin with the artists name. More interesting in shuffle mode.

rcrsn51

#64 Post by rcrsn51 »

The PeasyMP3 Carousel can do this. It uses mplayer for some audio formats, but you can probably symlink mpv to mplayer.

jrb

#65 Post by jrb »

greengeek wrote:Is there a way to get mpv to randomly play it's way through an entire directory of media files? (ie: shuffle mode)

Code: Select all

mpv --shuffle /somedir/*
Or place this in a script (rt click in dir, New->Script)

#!/bin/sh
mpv --shuffle "$1"/*
And then drag the directory onto the script.

Or use this:

#!/bin/sh
mpv --profile=pseudo-gui --shuffle "$1"/*
to show the mpv gui. Put the mouse in the gui and it shows some controls.

Or use this:

#!/bin/sh
mpv --profile=pseudo-gui --shuffle  --window-scale=0.2 "$1"/*
will show a 1/5 size gui window

rcrsn51

#66 Post by rcrsn51 »

No reply?

hamoudoudou

just draw the directory in mpv window !

#67 Post by hamoudoudou »

just draw the directory in mpv window ! :evil: with your mouse..
mpv --shuffle * (jrb)
lecture aléatoire. Open a terminal in chosen directory
Attachments
shuffle.jpg
Stretch sailor enceladus (mpv default mediaplayer)
(64.02 KiB) Downloaded 417 times

greengeek

#68 Post by greengeek »

rcrsn51 wrote:No reply?
Hoping to do some further testing this evening. I don't want to symlink mplayer to mpv yet but will try to get carousel to use mpv as default just to see how things go.

I don't want to replace mplayer as it has worked well for me with a carousel variant so far - just want to understand what the mpv capabilities are. I have a variety of laptops that behave in different ways so I am keen to try new things to see what is the most lightweight or most functional (especially in fullscreen mode)

greengeek

#69 Post by greengeek »

rcrsn51 wrote:The PeasyMP3 Carousel can do this. It uses mplayer for some audio formats, but you can probably symlink mpv to mplayer.
I just tried symlinking mplayer to mpv and Carousel worked perfectly with a variety of audio and video files in my multimedia directory.

In some ways mpv may be a better choice when using Carousel as it has the onscreen controls (at least with the file formats i tried) whereas mplayer did not.

EDIT : I also tried opening /usr/sbin/peasymp3 in a text editor and replacing all occurrences of "mplayer" with "mpv" and both peasymp3 and carousel worked well with mpv. That would probably be my preferred way forward as it would allow me to retain mplayer as a seperate media player in case it was ever needed for specific purposes (where mpv may potentially not work)

greengeek

#70 Post by greengeek »

jrb wrote:

mpv --shuffle /somedir/*
Yes, that works, thanks
Or use this:

#!/bin/sh
mpv --profile=pseudo-gui --shuffle "$1"/*
to show the mpv gui. Put the mouse in the gui and it shows some controls.
Excellent, that works really well.
cheers!